test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship Request: T6 Cruiser (TMP-era Constitution Class)

13»

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Hell, the Enterprise was nearly destroyed by a Miranda class in TWOK, how could it be a T6 if it could barely hold its own against that?
    Just gonna conveniently ignore the fact that its shields were down, and that Khan used detailed knowledge to strike at critical areas on the ship eh?
    If they did this, I'd want an Undiscovered Country era bridge...

HELL YES
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    steaen wrote: »
    If we don't have a T6 'traditional' Connie (with TOS and TMP parts) by the end of September, I can't see that we ever will.

I tend to agree; and I too really want a T6 TOS style from the original TV show Constitution made available.

(BTW - I do own both the Kelvin Connie and the U.S.S Vengeance. I SWORE I'd never open a Lockbox in this game; unless it was for T6 Constitution style ship, and while I do like the 'JJ-Prise' this game NEEDS the original 50+ year old Matt Jeffries Constitution/Starship class design from the original Star Trek as as an endgame T6 option. 'Immersion' in WSTO went out the window a LONG TIME ago, and with the 50th anniversary of the show that started it all coming up; to not have a T6 version of that iconic design available for fans of that era is ridiculous.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    Nope, the KTC is significantly more advanced as well as larger.
    They wont make that tiny old ship t6, that's just silly.

It's larger by a few metres due to the nacelles but it's not that more advanced. It's faster sure but it has no shields to speak of and its weapons only fire faster than the original. It's just shiny and not cardboard.

Based on its overall proportions and shuttlebays the "real" estimated size is 725m (762m for Into Darkness...) and has a crew complement of 1100. It is longer than the Galaxy-Class and more than twice the length of the TOS Connie (289m). It is larger than the Kelvin (655m) that had a crew complement of 800. Even in game it is more than twice the size of the refit (I was parked next to one a few minutes ago :) ) Nothing makes sense about the KT Connie.

Based on everything except the shuttlebay it is about 360m. It's what the ship was built to (torpedo launchers, windows, hull detailing etc.) And what major transition scenes show (2x2m saucer decks, the bridge window, action on the saucer in Beyond etc.) The shuttlebay (at ESD anyway, not when Pike launches) is the only major scaling anomaly. The large interior sets don't count as all major ships (except may be the Galaxy) have interiors that are far too big for the ship.

The Kelvin was about the same size (about 310m) but had far more crew (probably carrying colonists or the like).

The in-game one is upscaled due to CBSamount insisting on it. Obviously the visual evidence of the film outweighs behind the scenes stuff as per CBS' own canon rules but it was obiously necessary in order to get it into the game.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User

It's larger by a few metres due to the nacelles but it's not that more advanced. It's faster sure but it has no shields to speak of and its weapons only fire faster than the original. It's just shiny and not cardboard.

Based on its overall proportions and shuttlebays the "real" estimated size is 725m (762m for Into Darkness...) and has a crew complement of 1100. It is longer than the Galaxy-Class and more than twice the length of the TOS Connie (289m). It is larger than the Kelvin (655m) that had a crew complement of 800. Even in game it is more than twice the size of the refit (I was parked next to one a few minutes ago :) ) Nothing makes sense about the KT Connie.

Based on everything except the shuttlebay it is about 360m. It's what the ship was built to (torpedo launchers, windows, hull detailing etc.) And what major transition scenes show (2x2m saucer decks, the bridge window, action on the saucer in Beyond etc.) The shuttlebay (at ESD anyway, not when Pike launches) is the only major scaling anomaly. The large interior sets don't count as all major ships (except may be the Galaxy) have interiors that are far too big for the ship.

The Kelvin was about the same size (about 310m) but had far more crew (probably carrying colonists or the like).

The in-game one is upscaled due to CBSamount insisting on it. Obviously the visual evidence of the film outweighs behind the scenes stuff as per CBS' own canon rules but it was obiously necessary in order to get it into the game.

To get it in game, they need to use official numbers. The official numbers, due to the sudden upscaling of the shuttle bay, are the larger size.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    A better way of asking this is ... How many T6 Daedalus class ships can fit into ONE USS Vengeance class shuttle bay?

8? 10? A baker's dozen?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    There is already a T6 Connie.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    greyhame3 wrote: »

To get it in game, they need to use official numbers. The official numbers, due to the sudden upscaling of the shuttle bay, are the larger size.

The 'offical' size is independent of the shuttlebay. The model was rebuilt for ID and again for the ID/BEY refit and the scale was kept the same. If it had been intended to be the size of a Galaxy then they would have changed it for ID at the very least. They had three years to alter the ship and a brand new model to do it to but didn't. The exposed decks in ID are still the two levels of two metre decks that match the original refit. A Galaxy sized ship would need four decks minimum (so every other deck would have a window in the saucer) or four metre tall decks. Both of which are not there in ID or Beyond despite the new models specifically created for the films.

The gods alone know why CBSamount are insistent on a Galaxy size but it's not because of the size of the ship on-screen.

The shuttlebay is an example of the same issue VOY had with its shuttlebay, namely fiting all those damn shuttles in. Except they did the opposite of VOY and added a shuttlebay that could fit the shuttles in into a ship the bay couldn't fit into instead of a shuttlebay that fits the ship but which the shuttles couldn't fit in.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    captaingalrandcaptaingalrand Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    The TMP-era Connie design was going to be in TNG a few times, notably as the Stargazer. You can see in earlier TNG episodes that the model in Picard's ready room was a Constitution class. So it's entirely possible the Connie was still in use in the 24th century, let alone the fact that it is already a ship in the game.

But I like the suggestion that it could be an upgraded Exeter/Excalibur class that can use the Connie skin like the Excelcior
    Captain Jack. L Mueller
    Commander, U.S.S. Novara NCC-200001-D
    Fleet Admiral

star-trek-warp-speed-mr-scott-jason-politte.jpg
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User

But I like the suggestion that it could be an upgraded Exeter/Excalibur class that can use the Connie skin like the Excelcior

That's clearly the way to go, because that's what they've done with other ships that have been at earlier levels but requested at T6... they've released a model with 25th century aesthetics (high contrast patterned hull, sharper angles and bright bussard collectors/nacelles), but allowed the old skins to work with it.

I think the direction I'd take is give it a saucer shape akin to Guardian and Nacelles like the Hestia and make the way the neck and nacelle struts connect to the primary hull and saucer look a bit more streamlined and less hard angled.
  • Options
    ravenmorpheus2kravenmorpheus2k Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I'd love to see a T6 Constitution Refit. The presence of that ship already was what drew me to STO, because I like being able to play with content that mimics what I have watched on TV. That's why I was interested, having returned to the game after an 18 month hiatus, to find out that I can now create a 23c character, although I'd love it to include the movies not just TOS (I'm 39 and never saw TOS first time around and as a result I've never really enjoyed it - it's always been just that little bit too old).

Then I found out that I could only viably use the Constitution Refit up to a certain point early on in the game, until it became redundant and I had to change ships, to ones I don't particularly like or can identify with, to achieve anything meaningful.

Can't even get away with using it in story missions unless I want to blow up every 30 seconds, so now I'm at a level >50 I am stuck using a Sovereign class cruiser, a design I've never really liked, and I don't like any of the T6 offerings. If I ever get to the point where I can I might go for the better version Excelsior class (Fleet version?) and call it Yorktown B, assuming it's at a better level than the Sovereign.

My preference of ships in TV/Films goes like this, from favourite to least -

1. Constitution Refit
    2. Excelsior class
    3. Galaxy class/Sovereign class
    4. TOS Constitution (TOS really shows it's age these days and the ship is definitely not all that good looking imho, model kits built by people and the version in-game look better!)
    5. The rest of the ships (none of them really look as good as the "hero" ships used for the big E)

For what it's worth I believe it can be worked into the story just fine. Reason - It was a ship class that was mothballed, due to Starfleet downgrading it's operations because they thought that they were in a relative peace time, thus the ships they currently have aren't quite as good as the old Constitution Refit, and now all of a sudden they realise they need that ship.

I believe it's happened, or something similar has, in real life where armed forces are concerned...

Job done.
    Post edited by ravenmorpheus2k on
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    anazonda wrote: »
    There is already a T6 Connie.

They hadn't made a T6 Connie, what they gave us is the JJ Ship. That is Not a Connie.
    Post edited by farmallm on
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The 'offical' size is independent of the shuttlebay. The model was rebuilt for ID and again for the ID/BEY refit and the scale was kept the same. If it had been intended to be the size of a Galaxy then they would have changed it for ID at the very least. They had three years to alter the ship and a brand new model to do it to but didn't. The exposed decks in ID are still the two levels of two metre decks that match the original refit. A Galaxy sized ship would need four decks minimum (so every other deck would have a window in the saucer) or four metre tall decks. Both of which are not there in ID or Beyond despite the new models specifically created for the films.

The gods alone know why CBSamount are insistent on a Galaxy size but it's not because of the size of the ship on-screen.

The shuttlebay is an example of the same issue VOY had with its shuttlebay, namely fiting all those damn shuttles in. Except they did the opposite of VOY and added a shuttlebay that could fit the shuttles in into a ship the bay couldn't fit into instead of a shuttlebay that fits the ship but which the shuttles couldn't fit in.

No matter what the model is, they upscaled the length so that they could have a larger shuttle bay. These larger sizes is what is considered the official size no matter what the actually model was designed for. Seriously, the entire size of the Enterprise in the new movies is driven by the fact that JJ didn't like the small shuttlebay in the first movie and just made it larger without that being accounted for at all in the rest of the ship's model.
  • Options

No matter what the model is, they upscaled the length so that they could have a larger shuttle bay. These larger sizes is what is considered the official size no matter what the actually model was designed for. Seriously, the entire size of the Enterprise in the new movies is driven by the fact that JJ didn't like the small shuttlebay in the first movie and just made it larger without that being accounted for at all in the rest of the ship's model.

But they didn't upscale anything. That's what I've said. They inserted a shuttlebay that was scaled differently to the rest of the ship. Note how it's a different size later on when Pike leaves it. Not how it's decks are supportive of the original scale. The scale was not changed except in the one shuttlebay scene.
    The TMP-era Connie design was going to be in TNG a few times, notably as the Stargazer. You can see in earlier TNG episodes that the model in Picard's ready room was a Constitution class. So it's entirely possible the Connie was still in use in the 24th century, let alone the fact that it is already a ship in the game.

The wreckage of one was at Wolf 359, so at least one is.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited August 2016

But they didn't upscale anything. That's what I've said. They inserted a shuttlebay that was scaled differently to the rest of the ship. Note how it's a different size later on when Pike leaves it. Not how it's decks are supportive of the original scale. The scale was not changed except in the one shuttlebay scene. ​​

I don't think your understanding. The reason the official sizes are as large as they are is because of the shuttlebay scene. This scene caused them to upscale the ship overall in it's official length. Nothing else about the model was changed at all, and this stuck through all the new Trek movies. But the ship, despite the rest of it not really matching the new scale, are upscaled to Galaxy length officially because of that scene. Yes literally that one scene drives the entire official sizes of the ships.
  • Options
    Oh I see what you mean.
    The figures were upscaled not the model.

Still, official or not, I still see it as the same thing as the incorrect yet 'offical' sizes for almost every ship in the DS9 technical manual. Its not canon so can be ignored as it's clearly a mistake.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Thats absurd. The tmp ship is ancient and obsolete.

That's a silly excuse. I'm flying the temporal ships using TOS skins. They are "ancient ships" yet I'm able to fly them.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Oh I see what you mean.
    The figures were upscaled not the model.

Still, official or not, I still see it as the same thing as the incorrect yet 'offical' sizes for almost every ship in the DS9 technical manual. Its not canon so can be ignored as it's clearly a mistake.

Yeah but it's the reason that the Kelvin Constitution and Vengeance are the size they are in STO. Not that, given the smaller skins we have for the Temporal ships, there's really a size excuse for not including a T6 version of either the original Constitution or Constitution Refit.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    If we can't have a TOS Connie i really want a TMP Connie and maybe with leveling "pulse phasers" like they used in the movies (at least with CritDx2) with more copies claimable for free or from the Dilly store, so you can equip 8 phasers on the ship