test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Congrats on making the TOS storyline unplayable.

Did anyone even bother to calculate the effect
of advancing EXP gained on lowbie toons grinding through the new story line ? NOPE GUESS NOT !

Tangled web is almost uncompletable, at best you will die 50 times.

why ?

It was designed around the idea that you would be 8th or so level
and the enemy would be level 8 or so

Did it before the EXP Bonus..np

now you added the exp bonus, what changed ?

You are still STUCK with a noob lvl 1-5 ship...same limitations, HP shields etc.
the enemy...well, they are now in level 20 ships, with lvl 20 power, lvl 20 abilities

they one shot your NPC help forcing them into repair mode, then
you spend a long time trying to not get hit by their main weapon that...one shots you.

you will spend 10-15 deaths grinding through that, you get on the tholean ship..np
you get to fight on the ground at lvl 20

back outside....vs a lvl 20 dreadnought warps in ... game over.

nobody even gave it a thought of what happens when you
do not let players use the proper ship for their lvl, but allow the enemy to do it.

glad I pushed a toon through before the exp bonus

When you put an artificial limit on players, you had better consider
what unintended outcomes you will produce.

Comments

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    fatherrock wrote: »
    Did anyone even bother to calculate the effect
    of advancing EXP gained on lowbie toons grinding through the new story line ? NOPE GUESS NOT !

Tangled web is almost uncompletable, at best you will die 50 times.

why ?

It was designed around the idea that you would be 8th or so level
    and the enemy would be level 8 or so

Did it before the EXP Bonus..np

now you added the exp bonus, what changed ?

You are still STUCK with a noob lvl 1-5 ship...same limitations, HP shields etc.
    the enemy...well, they are now in level 20 ships, with lvl 20 power, lvl 20 abilities

they one shot your NPC help forcing them into repair mode, then
    you spend a long time trying to not get hit by their main weapon that...one shots you.

you will spend 10-15 deaths grinding through that, you get on the tholean ship..np
    you get to fight on the ground at lvl 20

back outside....vs a lvl 20 dreadnought warps in ... game over.

nobody even gave it a thought of what happens when you
    do not let players use the proper ship for their lvl, but allow the enemy to do it.

glad I pushed a toon through before the exp bonus

When you put an artificial limit on players, you had better consider
    what unintended outcomes you will produce.

Tangled web die 50 times?!

giphy.gif Damn son what were you doing wrong? I think I died maybe once.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    If you start a TOS toon...NOW you will be lvl 20 at the start of the tholen adventure, your ship will
    still be the POS noob ship and they will be level 20 ships...enjoy.

now if you did it when this first started, before the bonus, ya easy enough.

• Options
    gjohnny1990gjohnny1990 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Yeah they really need to fix things like this when exp events are going on, while they are at it they should make ships you are forced to use in the later missions scale with you too, trying to kill level 60 enemies with a poorly equipped premade dyson destroyer isn't alot of fun.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    You never went to the ship vendor in 23rd C ESD to get a better ship?
  • Options
    I'm almost tempted to create another TOS captain to see if you really can't switch to a better ship. I know my TOS connie was available, but I forget whether I was promoted and got a ship token before the (( EVENT )) moved me to 23rd C.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    If you start a TOS toon...NOW you will be lvl 20 at the start of the tholen adventure, your ship will

real easy solution. HIT SKIP. go to ESD in 25th century. Get tier 2 ship, go back, complete missions. EASY.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    p3nnyw1se#1639 p3nnyw1se Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    this is bad and sloppy design.

these missions were designed to be played at a very specific level.

by speeding up the xp gain with the recruitment event it screws up

the NPC scaling and increases the difficulty of the missions beyond

what was designed. the worst part is this sloppy design gives

a bad impression to people trying the game for the first time.

@tacofangs did people even test out these missions with this NPC scaling boosted before they went live?
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Its immersion breaking to fight 23c badguys in the 23c with a 25c ship.
  • Options
    p3nnyw1se#1639 p3nnyw1se Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »

real easy solution. HIT SKIP. go to ESD in 25th century. Get tier 2 ship, go back, complete missions. EASY.

that is only "easy" if you are a vet who already knows how the game works.

if you are a new player that has no idea that you can even do what you

just said, it is just bad game design. cryptic did not anticipate that the

recruitment event would increase the NPC difficulty in the missions that were

only designed to be played at those very first low levels. this is a great example

of how you make people think your game sucks by giving them a bad first impression.
  • Options
    They only offer the Con...IF YOU PURCHASED IT and it is almost as weak as the starting ship and
    fairs no better against 20th lvl enemy ships.

they offer no other ships at the starbase.
  • Options
    there is a fix, though I have no idea if they will bother with it
    you cap the level of enemy in the TOS storyline to level 9

You can not get a tier 2 ship while in that storyline so the enemy should
    be limited since you are.

but I am not holding my breath

I will likely delete the toon and start a new one, but do nothing with it until the bonuses
    and such expire
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I'm almost tempted to create another TOS captain to see if you really can't switch to a better ship. I know my TOS connie was available, but I forget whether I was promoted and got a ship token before the (( EVENT )) moved me to 23rd C.

you cannot, I levelled to 10 and avoided the battle for caleb so I could ship myself and friends 23c mkI white gear. You do not get promoted, and are not allowed better ships(even if you own them in the zen store). You can, however, level up your items to mk IV
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    T1 connie comes with auto leveling weapons, and 23c esd offers white quality ship gear as well, that should be more than enough to get through it, I didn't leave my T1 connie until level 30 cause I didn't want to fly the Daedalus (limiting my TOS toon to TOS ships).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    T1 connie comes with auto leveling weapons, and 23c esd offers white quality ship gear as well, that should be more than enough to get through it, I didn't leave my T1 connie until level 30 cause I didn't want to fly the Daedalus (limiting my TOS toon to TOS ships).

did yours actually level tho? Mine stayed at like 84dps right up until I could upgr them to mkXII
  • Options

It's a fair point though that the free starter ship is not going to fare well against level 20 enemies.

They should disable XP boost for TOS captains until they move to the 25th century. This will keep happening in future XP boost events.

• Options

It's a fair point though that the free starter ship is not going to fare well against level 20 enemies.

They should disable XP boost for TOS captains until they move to the 25th century. This will keep happening in future XP boost events.

double xp barfs up Romulans bad too, and to a lesser extent, Klingons. They aint fixed it yet, not likely gonna start now.
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Ah yes, bonus XP events. I never play new characters when these events run as I always run in to problems with out leveling content.

Instead, when I actually play during these types of events (which I am skipping on this go around), I run lvl 60 characters and get more/faster Spec points and ship mastery. Considering how fast you go from 1-50, you don't need bonus XP and still end up out leveling stuff.

I suppose lvl 51-60 it wouldn't be too bad but, meh...
    double xp barfs up Romulans bad too, and to a lesser extent, Klingons. They aint fixed it yet, not likely gonna start now.

They brought the Feds (at least TOS Feds) in line with the Klingons and the Romulans. :p
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options

But the devs actually care about TOS captains ;)

Poor KDF players can't get their new free ship until after The House Always Wins, and many don't know that they should buy the Vandal for the Plasmonic Leech.

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    You never went to the ship vendor in 23rd C ESD to get a better ship?

I don't know, I tried to claim my account-wide Rhode Island and the whole "different faction and not allowed to own Starfleet ships" thing kicked in banishing me to whatever T1 I had my hands on / available.

Didn't buy the temporal agent pack, so I can't tell you whether you can jump into the Daedaelus or not before the time warp... I know my Rommies who get XP boosted too high in the tutorial has to grab their Daehlan instead of the "freebie" T2 if they're "qualified" before the mission tells them they can own a better ship.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ^ yeah, I ran into the KDF / House Always Wins one on a KDF alt, and the Rom equivalent on another alt too though I think I had a C-Store T2 available thanks to one of the giveaways.

kodachikuno posted above that you can't claim anything except the Connie, IF you bought it. That would give you a fighting chance though since it has better hull and your phasers would be mk III or V.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    I never died
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I guess I "cheated" I transferred upgrades and dilithium and upgraded my shield. other than that it was wax on wax off. firstt hing i did was replaced HYT1 with TS1 BIG difference
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I can see how it will mess up the starting players. As they don't have access to some ships, and other features.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Lol, many people in this game take T1 ships into Level 60 content. Nothing at all makes those missions unplayable at level 20 in a T1.

lol sure but do they do it with T1 weapons that are common? Your stuck with a T1 ship with T1 gear with no traits and space abilities... your not twinked with UR or Epic gear or Lobi Gear or anything but common stuff that came with the ship... :p
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Meh, my AoY toon got full mk ii vr gear, except for the TOS beams, had rare quality ones from the T1 connie, and the torp, got a rare TOS torp from an early mission.

And new players will have all of that and know all the game mechanics to work their way through the problem... Clearly you're not cluing in to what the real problem with this is.
  • Options
    The key is, various vet players can figure out ways around stuff
    and or have access to better gear.

New players do not, if a noob went on right now
    and tried a TOS they way it is, At the tholean mission, that would be the end of it.
    they would quit and uninstall AND tell their friends what a piece of TRIBBLE
    the game is.

Who could blame them ?

Message to cryptic, FIX it...yesterday.
    either exempt new TOS toons from the Exp. boost or level cap
    the enemies in that story line, or make the TOS tier 2 ship FREE
    and available with a promotion. (doubt that)
  • Options
    gabeoz1gabeoz1 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Double XP really does TRIBBLE up everything. I actually can't progress in the Rom arc on my TOSling because of ship leveling. I have full MK X gear on it w/ a t5 ship and it still gets obliterated by Mogais or D'Derixs. It's actually easier to kill em on my T4 defiant. And this the exact issue I had on my Rom when using double XP weekend.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I...I just don't understand...do people really suck so badly they have to blame their problems on non-existent "balancing issues". You suck, it's that simple. Don't blame the game for that.
This discussion has been closed.