test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New ToS based missions incoming?

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/11/star-trek-online-agents-of-yesterday-first-impressions-more-from-stos-executive-producer/
TM: I thought you really did a great job in weaving in TOS episodes, with content related to “Arena,” “Operation: Annihilate,” “Journey to Babel,” and “The Tholian Web.” What drew you to those stories, vice others that appeared in TOS’s three seasons?
SR: So we have quite a few Trek fans over here and it was a debate. We wanted to pick moments that were iconic, in general, for the franchise, but were also fan favorites. We looked at probably between a dozen and twenty other [episodes] that people really liked before we settled on these episodes as the ones that we highlighted. There’s a variety of them, such as “For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky” that we liked.

TM: Are there any TOS episodes that you plan on integrating into the game later?
SR: The ones that just missed the cut are the ones that we will be revisiting, but I don’t want to get into that too much.

So apparently we are likely to get more missions set in the ToS era at some point in the future.

Not really surprising news, but still interesting to see they had idea for other ToS based missions that didn't make the cut, and that we will be seeing them later.

Comments

• Options
    captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    One could be about the mini-war that occurred while Enterprise was at the Organian planet.

Another could be player winds up in the search for said ship when it went back in time because of a black star(Black Hole wasn't a term back then).
  • Options
    baldrick8baldrick8 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    I'd like the one with the Chicago mobs.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,389 Arc User
    In fact, "black hole" entered the astronomical lexicon in 1968, although it's quite possible that Hollywood writers weren't aware of it for a while after that. (Parenthetically, there was apparently a move by Soviet astronomers at the time to reject "black hole" as the name for a stellar gravitational singularity, in favor of "frozen star". I'm told that in Russian, "black hole" means something very different, and rather more vulgar...)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Imagine what They could do with the "Shore Leave" planet...
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    great news if its true!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I'd actually like to see more episodes in between the time of the Launch of the Enterprise B and the start of TNG. About 60 years unaccounted for.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    More tos era missions would be great. Also missions with harrimam / garrett would b great.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    Yay! ~tosses confetti and glitter about~ o:)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Plus this could open more way to farm tos weapons and maybe....give us some higher grade 23c boffs?
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I can take or leave TWoK, but TUC, now that was a film, it was basically DS9 in a two hour format and set in the TOS era.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    talonxv wrote: »
    I'd actually like to see more episodes in between the time of the Launch of the Enterprise B and the start of TNG. About 60 years unaccounted for.

There should be plenty of time with the Enterprise A unaccounted for as well, considering that there's 5 years between TFF and TUC and that someone in the writer's room seems to have forgotten entirely that the A was a brand new ship based on a nearly brand new specification and thus should have had many years of life left in her regardless of the new Excelsior. Whoever wrote in that she was to be decommissioned was smoking something, even Starfleet doesn't have the resources to waste to kill a merely 5 year old ship.

I do hope we will get more TMP era content, next year is the 25th anniversary of The Wrath of Khan, the most successful and well-loved film in Star Trek bar none. It's our Empire Strikes Back, the pinnacle of the series. If they don't do at least a season if not a small expansion based on the era to coincide with the anniversary I will be shocked.​​

Actually there are plenty of instances where a ship is decomissioned after a short lifespan. USS Alaska and USS Guam were both decomissioned after barely 2 years in service.

Simply no need for them.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    cheshirecat#6232 cheshirecat Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I do hope we will get more TMP era content, next year is the 25th anniversary of The Wrath of Khan, the most successful and well-loved film in Star Trek bar none. It's our Empire Strikes Back, the pinnacle of the series. If they don't do at least a season if not a small expansion based on the era to coincide with the anniversary I will be shocked.​​

Actually, next year will be the 35th anniversary of TWoK. It came out in 1982, not 1992.

It'll also be the 15th anniversary of the incomplete/only season of "Firefly" (if I have my arithmetic correct here).
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    I can take or leave TWoK, but TUC, now that was a film, it was basically DS9 in a two hour format and set in the TOS era.

You'd be in the minority not putting TWoK at #1, but you're right about TUC having more of a feel of TNG and later in a lot of its style and elements. I found it inconsistent at best with more than a few plot holes and inconsistencies along with wildly out of character acts that shoehorned the characters into a predetermined plot rather than acting according to their established personalities and histories. For me, the TMP movies ended with TVH.

Not really. Most people are split between TWoK or FC as number one. It's certainly not a majority for TWoK by any means.

The are few plot holes (The Enterprise having the gas seeking torpedoes the Excelsior was meant to have being the only one I can think of ATM) and the characterisation for the mains were all spot on with no out of character acts at all and no deviation from their established personalities and histories.

TUC was one of only three TOS films that were worth watching (TWoK, TVH, and TUC) TMP and TSFS were pointless and dull and TFF was an abomination to the scale of what the most ardent JJ mouth frothers hold the KT films to.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    but without TFF, we wouldn't have the funniest moment ever seen in star trek
    "It's a song, you green-blooded...Vulcan. You sing it. The words aren't important. What's important is that you have a good time singing it."
    "Oh, I am sorry, doctor. Were we having a good time?"
    "God, I liked him better before he died!"
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    ST5 is a good movie, except that everything about the plot is totally terrible.

When the plot goes away, it's a movie about three old men the entire audience already loves being friends. And that stuff's good. The problem is having a plot.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    More TOS missions please! Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Well remember that the Enterprise A was a lemon to begin with, decomissioning it after only 5 years may have been entirely neccessary, no matter how skilled Captain Scott may be.
    Since it was a Refit of a ship that has been in service for what - 20 or more years by then - it might simply have been the expected life cycle.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    You'd be in the minority not putting TWoK at #1

Not really. Most people are split between TWoK or FC as number one. It's certainly not a majority for TWoK by any means.

Wrong. Absolutely, indisputably wrong. A google search for "best star trek movie" brings up 7 ranked lists from a variety of sources. First Contact places in varying spots in different lists, usually in the top half but not a consistent second place choice. What is consistent? That Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is first place in all of them. Every. Single. List. It's not even close. None of them write of the film with anything less than abject reverence, as a superlative film that transcends both Star Trek and science fiction itself to be a truly great film.

If you want to make the argument that any other Trek film comes close you're going to need to bring some citations.

Well let's start with every poll on this forum from about 2012 when I first joined. That's far more than 7 and due to the turnover of forum personalities I can be reasonably sure it's a wide sample of different people as well.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
    Would be nice to have an episode based the TOS classic Mirror Mirror, goatees for everyone :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options

Wrong. Absolutely, indisputably wrong. A google search for "best star trek movie" brings up 7 ranked lists from a variety of sources. First Contact places in varying spots in different lists, usually in the top half but not a consistent second place choice. What is consistent? That Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is first place in all of them. Every. Single. List. It's not even close. None of them write of the film with anything less than abject reverence, as a superlative film that transcends both Star Trek and science fiction itself to be a truly great film.

If you want to make the argument that any other Trek film comes close you're going to need to bring some citations.​​

Sad part was, Gene HATED the movie.
      afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
      smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
      talonxv wrote: »

If you want to make the argument that any other Trek film comes close you're going to need to bring some citations.​​

Sad part was, Gene HATED the movie.

I was not too big on it, either. I'm more of a TMP fangirl myself. ~dodges a bottle thrown at her~
      dvZq2Aj.jpg