test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Daniels is Section 31

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Renegades isn't even allowed to make Star Trek references any more. Koenig's character now is "The Admiral" seving the "confederation" pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    lordgyor wrote: »
    The OPs arguement makes alot of sense. Don't get me wrong, section 31 is all powerful, they have secret influence, but they don't rule the federation, they simply manipulate it when they feel its warrented, for its own protection.

Manipulates on behalf of the Federation. It's the Federation's official, but off the books black-opps unit. They exist and act only for the Federation's protection, not the other way around.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Explaing his faction would require him to tell people stuff about the future, stuff that could cause them to accidentally change it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    I always figured he worked for something that evolved from section 31 or eventually replaced it. From what I remember from enterprise when archer asked him about it he seemed to not like it. Describing section 31 as some kind of archaic Gestapo organization. That could have been a done to throw archer off admittedly. I figured he worked for some other federation or post federation organization that only really dealt with time travel issues in a more clandestine way think cia or mi5. Then again I always figured 31 was either a rogue organization or the equivalent of the cia. Since I’m guessing not all federation matters are handled by its military branch ie Starfleet.

On another note does it bug anybody else that we’ve never really seen other federation branches of government in sto. Like politicians or other civilian branches. We meet Romulan and Klingon chancellors and presidents and senators. But federation it just seems to be ambassadors at most outside of starfleet.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I always figured he worked for something that evolved from section 31 or eventually replaced it. From what I remember from enterprise when archer asked him about it he seemed to not like it. Describing section 31 as some kind of archaic Gestapo organization. That could have been a done to throw archer off admittedly. I figured he worked for some other federation or post federation organization that only really dealt with time travel issues in a more clandestine way think cia or mi5. Then again I always figured 31 was either a rogue organization or the equivalent of the cia. Since I’m guessing not all federation matters are handled by its military branch ie Starfleet.

On another note does it bug anybody else that we’ve never really seen other federation branches of government in sto. Like politicians or other civilian branches. We meet Romulan and Klingon chancellors and presidents and senators. But federation it just seems to be ambassadors at most outside of starfleet.

well, we see a few fed presidents, and some of the scientists are merely working with/for not members of starfleet.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options

Starfleet is not a military. And S31 is an official Federation department with headquarters and a Starbase in the Sol system.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    IS Daniels Section 31?

Or, is he someone that for whatever reason(s) just happens to "support" Section 31?

Or, is he something/someone else; OR going to/destined? to BECOME something/someone else?

I SAY, (just MHO) that Daniels IS or WILL become ... the Envoy.

YES

Look at what happens to him after his "Occupational Hazard" incident in the Temporal Ready Room.

and make your own conclusions. Maybe I'm wrong; then again, maybe I'm spot on right.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    It does make a modicum of sense Daniels is allied to s31...as a member of sorts for s31 is the precursor to the temporal agents

Section 31 deals with extraordinary threats to the federation, such as temporal tampering (and even has control of time travel techniques such as the gravitational slingshot which the s31 guy says has been used from time to time to deal with problems) - so it could be suggested the temporal cold war created section 31 as a way to do things in the past federation without affecting the 'regular' starfleet as their remit is wildly different, allowing the shadow war (sic) to continue while not affecting the history of the federation per se - at least until stos current era, when s31 will likely move out into the open (partially... I wager theres still a s31 in 29c)

It also explains why s31 can get away with so much considering, as Artan mentioned; it is a known entity as an semi-offical department with a base of operations, which would make it easy for starfleet to purge if required - if the president of the federation did not know what s31 actually is and its true role...​​
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    Starfleet is not a military. And S31 is an official Federation department with headquarters and a Starbase in the Sol system.

Only in the AR though. Prime S31 doesn't seem to have these capabilities (since prime is only DS9 and even ENT, wether you put it in the AR or not, doesn't either)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

Only in the AR though. Prime S31 doesn't seem to have these capabilities (since prime is only DS9 and even ENT, whether you put it in the AR or not, doesn't either)

We haven't seen those but it doesn't mean they haven't got them. S31 has likely got cloaked ships (The holodeck in 'Inquisition' was Federation and not DS9's and no ships were detected around the station), it has the power to make Starfleet uppers do what it wants (Ross, and whomever called Sisko off, Starfleet Medical, Starfleet Security), it will also still have it's Earth based headquarters in London (a good place to recruit Reed).

The only thing it won't have in the PT is the Jupiter Starbase else the Borg and Breen would have had a much harder time of getting to Earth.

As Marcus was both a Fleet Admiral and had the Dreadnought on his desk it's most likely that the Dreadnought was built using official funds and whatnot, something Slone could request if he was as stupid as Marcus was. But Slone seemed to prefer utilising Starfleet personnel and equipment instead.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Cloaking tech seems not to be out of reach for Starfleet. They just do not generally use it.

My evidence that they can build cloaks of at least some sort on their own is the mine field they installed around the Bajoran Wormhole. There was no indication they needed help from anyone else.

I suppose the treaty of Algeron may have some loopholes, and the biggest constraint is that they are now allowed to install it on their own starships. Hence the loaner and special agreement with Romulus for the Defiant.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Actually, in STO lore the Treaty of Algeron is apparently void.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Starfleet is not a military.

With JAG Corps and Court Martial? If you say so.

The first (though currently a military term) doesn't have to be. Surgeon General was a specific term for the Chief Medical Officer in the British military, now it's used for heads of NHS health practices and trusts. It won't happen here because all our upper Judiciary are Lords but there's no reason to assume it won't end up as a disciplinary term in other (non-military) uniformed services.

The second has been used to describe (in the past year alone from memory) the trials of two police officers and a member of the fire brigade.

So yeah, still not a military.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Starfleet is not a military.

With JAG Corps and Court Martial? If you say so.

The first (though currently a military term) doesn't have to be. Surgeon General was a specific term for the Chief Medical Officer in the British military, now it's used for heads of NHS health practices and trusts. It won't happen here because all our upper Judiciary are Lords but there's no reason to assume it won't end up as a disciplinary term in other (non-military) uniformed services.

The second has been used to describe (in the past year alone from memory) the trials of two police officers and a member of the fire brigade.

So yeah, still not a military.

JAG officers administer courts-martial in Starfleet, so, yeah, it has to be a military term. A court-martial, by its definition, is a military court. The word martial as an adjective, by its dictionary definition, means "of or relating to war, soldiers or military".

As for the trials that you didn't provide the sources for, you may want to read the following: What is a court-martial? You may also want to check Wikipedia: Surgeon-General (United Kingdom).

And finally, Starfleet is an armed fleet.

Starfleet-Sam.jpg

It's almost like you didn't read what I wrote so I'm not going to bother repeating those points about increasingly formal informality.

Armed fleet, seriously! American police have tanks and you find the concept of armed civilians a sign of a military?​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Please, not again pig-11.gif We already know people have a hard time understanding that a fictional organization set hundreds of years from now on might work different than what we have today and that a society might also work on different principles than ours today. This debate is never leading anywhere...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    Ummm, they need long trenchcoats......
  • Options
    Please, not again pig-11.gif We already know people have a hard time understanding that a fictional organization set hundreds of years from now on might work different than what we have today and that a society might also work on different principles than ours today. This debate is never leading anywhere...

But it's fun... :(

Sorry, Targ pig-8.gif​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    wylonus wrote: »
    Ummm, they need long trenchcoats......
    And flashy things that make you forget they were there. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Sorry, Targ pig-8.gif

I'm not going to take your fun away, don't worry pig-2.gifpig-23.gif

Maybe if you have the exact same discussion for another year you'll also tire out pig-26.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Maybe if the writers stopped making Starfleet look and behave like a military while denying that they are one, this argument would go away. Military rank and command structure? Check. Heavily armed and shielded vessels equivalent to other militaries of the time? Check. The ones to actually fight in any wars the Federation gets involved in? Check.

That waddling, quacking bird is definitely not a duck, though.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    Maybe if the writers stopped making Starfleet look and behave like a military while denying that they are one, this argument would go away. Military rank and command structure? Check. Heavily armed and shielded vessels equivalent to other militaries of the time? Check. The ones to actually fight in any wars the Federation gets involved in? Check.

http://mudfooted.com/platypus-mammal-eggs-bill/

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options

Sorry, Targ pig-8.gif

I'm not going to take your fun away, don't worry pig-2.gifpig-23.gif

Maybe if you have the exact same discussion for another year you'll also tire out pig-26.gif

Imposible! I never get tired, and to prove it...
    anodynes wrote: »

Military rank: police, no check
    Military Structure: Not present in Starfleet as evidenced by constant bitching about lack of protocols etc. from complainant's favourite military, no check.
    Armed military grade vehicles: I raise you police tanks, no check.
    Fighting in the Federation's war: Paramilitary (go google it), no check.

Looks like none of that checks out as being a duck, care to try again?​​

#TASforSTO