What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I think "Cutting the Cord" might be the worst adventure in the entire game

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Boldly They Rode isn't as bad as it used to be for me. Still won't ever be a favorite, not until Kurland stops that static-filled "Kurland here!" every time I take a few steps.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Only had the problem with disappearing Shards on one Character. For Science I do use Grav Wells. On a couple of Delta Recruits I tried to ignore the D7s and just kept blowing up Fragments and Shards. Worked well and after blowing up the Comet got out of Red Alert and Warped out. Six or so D7s were left uncrippled.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Operation Gamma needs to be run twice if you want those two pieces of the Jem'hadar Space Set.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, the D-7s really only tickle you at the most while you're destroying the comet. Pets help keep the tickle down some.

You could also use gravwells on engi/tac characters if the ship you're flying has a ltcomm sci seat.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited July 2016
    Also cutting the cord has one of the few real gems in STO.... open a door and a romulan yells "hnaev!" and runs through the gate blindly... Honestly we need our 'epic badass savior of the universe' character recognized like this more often :)

hnaev btw is Rihan profanity for dung

edit:
    really cryptic? the proper scientific word fe ces is censored?
  • Options
    I make it a point of always putting Grav Well on any ship that can take it. I normally will always use a Universal Lt. Commander as Science.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Also cutting the cord has one of the few real gems in STO.... open a door and a romulan yells "hnaev!" and runs through the gate blindly... Honestly we need our 'epic badass savior of the universe' character recognized like this more often :)

edit:

I wondered what it was Taris yelled before tearing off into the gateway. It went by too fast for me to read.

Makes sense it would be similar to "Oh sh...!" Yeah. *Amused*
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    echatty wrote: »

edit:

I wondered what it was Taris yelled before tearing off into the gateway. It went by too fast for me to read.

you do know anything said by an NPC can be checked in the NPC chat tab

and that wasn't taris; it was a random male romulan​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    The fight in coliseum isn't really that hard. The annoying part is how much running you have to do.

And the running. Also the running. Oh, and there's the running. So irritating. Should be a "Go on without him/get help" option to zing you to the end, or something.
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »

edit:

you do know anything said by an NPC can be checked in the NPC chat tab

and that wasn't taris; it was a random male romulan​​

It looked like Taris to me. My bad.

Anyway, most of the time I don't think about that, unless it was something important. In that instance I was just interested in finishing the mission. And some of my toons have the NPC channel turned off.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    trejgon wrote: »
    am I the only one who really liked cutting the cord? O.o

Nope. I like it, too, now at least, after I had some troubles the first time around. I also like Dust to Dust, which is actually one of my favorite missions gameplay wise ad I breezed through it with pleasure when I tried to get Sammy the Samsar for all my toons. I agree with Small Craft missions though, which are just not for me. I dislike Coliseum for its length (could easily have been two missions and too much running, which I find more tedious then even Of Bajor) and for the annoying calculation "riddles" in the first part - I am a mathematician, I can do them in my head, but it's not a riddle, it's just tedious to me.

"Boldly they Rode" is a tad slow, but you get used to it (unless you are doing it 12 times in 4 days during FE rerun...). What's annoying me here is the constant interruption of popup gameplay explanation windows and mini cutscenes interrupting the actual gameplay so it feels really shredded. Also starting in the midst of the battle on the last space map could be annoying if you're not in a tanking ship and don't have time to prepare yourself.

There are a couple way more annoying missions to me on the Romulan side, especially when dealing with the Elachi (one small craft mission, which is a shame, because it has one of the most beautiful maps, and one wave-after-wave-after-wave of same enemies space mission with support that dies easily). But I agree that "Divide et Impera" was the worst of the bunch, not so much for the gameplay, not so much for the "twist" at the end, but for the fact that it was obvious as hell what was going on on the first playthrough and you still had to play along, plus all the open threads and inconsistencies it created while nothing came of the aftermath in later stories.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User

edit:

Well now I like it even more. :D
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    'Cutting the Cord' is fine. A TR-116B will take that Scorpion Fighter down, no problem. Yeah, the 'Call Support' NPCs that have the most difficulty is where you have to get the code from the Tal Shiar officer. You need to get in quick otherwise they will all get killed off. The annoying thing in that Episode is the Optional for Engineering Captains. Turns red for failure if you are not one - if I am not one, DON'T even make it an Optional!!! Even as an Engineer I never know where I'm supposed to do that.

'Boldly They Rode', well the standard 'Kurland Here' routine is hated, but Captain Paris outshines him in 'Delta Flight' with annoying dialog if you don't pass through one of the gazillion Rings in time. Fortunately, that latter Mission has only one Reward worth getting, so you really don't have to do it again.

I like 'Night of the Comet'. For my last Delta Recruit, I did that last week and was the FIRST time I had ever done the travel through the Rings successfully on any of my Characters. I always pick up four Nerve Tonic Refreshments every time I run that Mission. There is a possible catch in this Mission. The best thing to do with Driffen's Comet is after it breaks into Fragments is do one Fragment/Shards at a time. I have done that where I broke up all three Fragments into Shards and then three of the Shards went missing and can't complete it - had to restart that last phase by leaving the Mission and shut down the Client.

@ltminns
    The platform where the scorpion fighter shows up, instead of firing on it move to the middle of the platform and activate a certain switch to bring it down with weather control.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    'Cutting the Cord' is fine. A TR-116B will take that Scorpion Fighter down, no problem. Yeah, the 'Call Support' NPCs that have the most difficulty is where you have to get the code from the Tal Shiar officer. You need to get in quick otherwise they will all get killed off. The annoying thing in that Episode is the Optional for Engineering Captains. Turns red for failure if you are not one - if I am not one, DON'T even make it an Optional!!! Even as an Engineer I never know where I'm supposed to do that.

'Boldly They Rode', well the standard 'Kurland Here' routine is hated, but Captain Paris outshines him in 'Delta Flight' with annoying dialog if you don't pass through one of the gazillion Rings in time. Fortunately, that latter Mission has only one Reward worth getting, so you really don't have to do it again.

I like 'Night of the Comet'. For my last Delta Recruit, I did that last week and was the FIRST time I had ever done the travel through the Rings successfully on any of my Characters. I always pick up four Nerve Tonic Refreshments every time I run that Mission. There is a possible catch in this Mission. The best thing to do with Driffen's Comet is after it breaks into Fragments is do one Fragment/Shards at a time. I have done that where I broke up all three Fragments into Shards and then three of the Shards went missing and can't complete it - had to restart that last phase by leaving the Mission and shut down the Client.

@ltminns
    The platform where the scorpion fighter shows up, instead of firing on it move to the middle of the platform and activate a certain switch to bring it down with weather control.

only engineers can do that; if you aren't one, you have to bring it down the hard way​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User

@ltminns

only engineers can do that; if you aren't one, you have to bring it down the hard way​​

He referred to the optional for engineers so that was where my answer was directed.
    I should mentioned that the hard way isn't particularly hard for any profession. On my AoY character i think i brought it down with a mere Mark IV Type 3 phaser.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User

@ltminns

He referred to the optional for engineers so that was where my answer was directed.
    I should mentioned that the hard way isn't particularly hard for any profession. On my AoY character i think i brought it down with a mere Mark IV Type 3 phaser.

Heck, my Orion tac dropkicked it out of the sky before they adjusted the Lunge. ;)
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for that info on the Weather Control. The 'hard way' isn't so much so anymore with the TR-116B.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    Anything in which you need to use a shuttle or small craft. Hate it.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

grab a to'duj if ya think shuttles are bad... but yeah small craft suck in this game
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sinn74 wrote: »
    The fight in coliseum isn't really that hard. The annoying part is how much running you have to do.

And the running. Also the running. Oh, and there's the running. So irritating. Should be a "Go on without him/get help" option to zing you to the end, or something.
    That or "bury Slamek under a random dune"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    One of my Characters has 'Divide et Impera' still in the Mission Log. All the Romulan Mystery Arc Episodes and Cardassian Missions removed due to the Revamps are on that Character (or were). You can still run them but you get no Rewards at the end. There is also no pop-up outside the System to start it. If you enter the System directly you will get the Mission name at start.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Just wait until you reach the second half of Cardassian Struggle (especially Boldly they Rode), you'll find Cutting the Cord pretty good.

Kurland Here....

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Of Bajor! You don't even get to shoot anyone!
  • Options
    You do in the holodeck!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    And if you Beam out after you captured the Changling you can turn it in to your Faction's Security Officer. Don't complete the simulation.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User

grab a to'duj if ya think shuttles are bad... but yeah small craft suck in this game

There is or was a mission in which you had to use one. Can't remember because it was long ago, but I think it's on the klingon storyline. Dreadful.
  • Options

There is or was a mission in which you had to use one. Can't remember because it was long ago, but I think it's on the klingon storyline. Dreadful.
    Try a single cannon build instead of the default DC setup.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User

"THIS IS OUR HOME!" x100,000,000
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User

Romulan. Defending a colony from Elachi walkers. A pain and a half.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    omegapaladinomegapaladin Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I actually like this mission. I highly sniping from the catwalks and running with lots of AOE.

Night of the comet is actually fun if you have multi-target moves. I've got the nerve tonic formula memorized by now...

Coliseum gains points for the TOS fight music, but man did I want to kill Slamek. All that work to help a guy who ends up betraying you. If I help someone that much, I better get them as a DOff. :) Even my federation captain would have suggested a little orbital bombardment of Hakeev's execution force.

Small Craft missions that are not puzzles tend to be a pain all right.

Never hated Of Bajor. It's like a Diplomacy mission, scaled up.

Boldly They Rode would have been so much better if you could walk at normal speed. I have crazy-awesome Solanae or Nukara enviro suits, I should be able to get around reasonably in space. Even then, the worst spot is the exterior sensors puzzle, since it is different every time, and requires you to walk over to each station slowly. Not fun, Cryptic. The inside of the station and the space battle are great.

By far the worst mission I have played was Dust to Dust. Not for Harry Kim, that's not that bad of voice work. The platforming was EVIL. Platforming is fun with tight, responsive controls, not something seen in MMOs. It's a shame, because the opening is pretty fun, and the mission could have been much better if the platforms were replaced with puzzles.