test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I think "Cutting the Cord" might be the worst adventure in the entire game

Comments

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    TBH Cutting the cord is one of the best mission in the game. It's still not Mass Effect quality but it's almost there. It's a nice touch at the end if you're romulan then you get to kill Hakeev. If not than Obisek will do it.

Anyways, I got these quests down to science. I've done them million times in this FE replay event.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,468 Arc User
    teknesia wrote: »
    Uhhh... that's easily one of my favorite missions in the whole game. I don't know what's so hard about it, but then I roll Engineer typically.

Same here. If i happen to be in the area i usually pop in for a quick rerun of that mission.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    nadiezja wrote: »
    They all pale in comparison with the thankfully-dead monstrosity of design and writing that was Divide Et Impera.

Or the original line of missions in the Cardassian story arc that launched with STO. (Thankfully redone recently.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    Cutting the Cord is only my favorite mission when I'm playing a Romulan. It's just so satisfying to be the one that puts the blaster bolt through that lying kllhe's head myself.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Two words that make me groan and cringe whenever I play through the Cardassian Struggle on a new alt: Of Bajor.

My mind just completely shuts down every time I do this uber-fetch quest.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    umbergrey wrote: »
    Seriously.

Even with the guide path they added this mission is terrible.

We're going to have you do an entire mission on the ground but without your bridge crew. Also, there will be guys shooting you from the ground. But at certain points, we'll let you bombard the surface. Oh, but we won't let you choose where. Also we're occasionally going to beam in guys from in front of you and behind so you start the fight flanked. In an alley where you can't move to not be flanked.

Even though the game has come light years in the quality of its mission design, this one is just awful and it bothers me they have pulled/combined way better episodes but left this one mostly alone.
    What career are you playing?, if its tac you do know you can "alpha" a ground tac cpt right?.

Dropping grenades first after an alpha buff pretty much wipes everything from existence except Hakeev.

If its engineer or sci career the mission is even easier, providing you build for them on the ground at all.
    Gotta agree with this guy. The key to this mission is AoE abilities, if you spec for decent AoE and remember to find the "beam in reinforcements" button, this mission is actually pretty fun.

The first time I played the mission was with a melee focused Tactical captain, and I was about as frustrated as you were. This week I went through it with a Sci captain who had Exothermic Induction Field / Hyperonic Radiation and the groups died before they could come close to touching me. Def. try grenades.
    I played it on my Reman Delta recruit for the Reman Boff. I tested the new Molten Terrain module from Risa. It's quite effective in situations like this.
    teknesia wrote: »
    nadiezja wrote: »
    They all pale in comparison with the thankfully-dead monstrosity of design and writing that was Divide Et Impera.
    Yeah, that was rough.
    Enh, it was bad as a stand alone plot, but the mission was written as the first part of a story arc where you hunt down the fake Zelle. That actually sounded like a good mission concept.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Dust to Dust is top on my list. The next one is House of Pegh "Fools".
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Cutting the Cord has always been 1 of my favorite episodes in the game. It's like shooting Romulans in a barrel. ;)
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    For me, terrible missions in STO have one of two components:

1) Jumping puzzles. Nothing like insta-death from a little rubber-banding, eh? It was a bad idea when they first introduced Infected: Manus. It still is now.

2) Piloting small craft. Let's toss 90% of our Boff powers, equipment and survivability out the airlock for a mission. I even dislike that stupid "shuttle race" patrol in the Delta quadrant.
  • trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    am I the only one who really liked cutting the cord? O.o

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'm a big fan - and it's so satisfying as a Romulan character with the end of the Tal Shiar arc
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    I may be the only person in the game who likes "Boldly They Rode" it seems. I can more through the spacewalk pretty quickly, just target the next waypoint while still moving to the previous one, and hit your thruster again as soon as you're close enough that it lets you. Your character will smoothly go waypoint to waypoint without stopping. The sensor reconfig puzzle is annoying because the solution is random and you have to either brute force it (like I do), or slowly walk to the other panel and take pictures of the correct setting. The isolinear chip puzzle always has the same solution of I think 3 steps, so if you forget you can just look it up. Once inside you get to space a whole squad of Jem'hadar and finally shut that a**hat Kar'ukan up by doing whatever your class' version of an alpha strike is right in his face. I love doing it with Sci and setting him on fire, then watching him still burning in the cutscene. "Of Bajor" is the worst mission in the game, and endless list of menial chores. "Operation Gamma" isn't far behind. They make The 2800 arc really uneven.

The entire Cloaked Intentions FE arc is pure tedium to me, though my relationship with "Cutting the Cord" has improved over time. The first time I played it was before the guide path, and I spent forever just being lost on that map. With the guide path, I never get lost, but I still used to die a lot because I sucked at ground combat and didn't realize you could summon help. Now I ROFLstomp it even on brand new characters, and have a pretty good time at it. If there's an issue with the mission, it's that it suddenly puts newer players into a position of having to be a lot better at ground than they had to be up to that point. "Mine Enemy", "The Vault", "Arena" and "Frozen" are all still super tedious.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Cutting the cord? It's one of my favorite missions. The ground map looks epic and the mission offers different endings for each faction. And yes, if you're not careful you're gonna die. This mission should have been a template for all future missions.
  • holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Operation Gamma, Of Bajor, Coliseum are a few of my most disliked missions.
    I may be the only person in the game who likes "Boldly They Rode" it seems. I can more through the spacewalk pretty quickly, just target the next waypoint while still moving to the previous one, and hit your thruster again as soon as you're close enough that it lets you. Your character will smoothly go waypoint to waypoint without stopping. The sensor reconfig puzzle is annoying because the solution is random and you have to either brute force it (like I do), or slowly walk to the other panel and take pictures of the correct setting. The isolinear chip puzzle always has the same solution of I think 3 steps, so if you forget you can just look it up. Once inside you get to space a whole squad of Jem'hadar and finally shut that a**hat Kar'ukan up by doing whatever your class' version of an alpha strike is right in his face. I love doing it with Sci and setting him on fire, then watching him still burning in the cutscene.
    The final space battle needs to be done with a defensive power that mitigates the OP TBR the NPCs use..... seriously, it usually does more damage than their torpedos.... each second. Last time I did it I remember ticks for 3k each.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Coliseum is the mission that first made me appreciate the utility of autorun. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    For me, it's got to be pretty much the entire arc on Nimbus. It's just one long, slow run after another. Run over here, now run back. Now run over there, and run back. Now over there, and back...
    Conversely, the mission flow of Kobali prime was way better. Every mission was pushing progress forward, marching toward the final fight. The game is so much less tedious when the mission parameters are integral to the story, not just ways to make the mission take longer. Yeah, I'm talking about you, Nimbus and Coliseum!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

Nimbus is less annoying if you start all the missions simultaneously and run them at the same time. It somewhat reduces the running.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    Nimbus is less annoying if you start all the missions simultaneously and run them at the same time. It somewhat reduces the running.

the same thing can be said for the delta patrols...grabbing all of them means you can work your way down the delta quadrant instead of running back and forth all over it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited July 2016
    But on nimbus sometimes you can actually progress two missions at once.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    Coliseum is the mission that first made me appreciate the utility of autorun. :p

Coliseum is one of those that make you stop playing it FOREVER, then you think "Maybe it wasn't really that bad."

But, when you play it again, it ends up being as bad as you remember. Or worse. The only good thing about that one is the music, which is almost enough to save it on its own.
    The fight in coliseum isn't really that hard. The annoying part is how much running you have to do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    I think we can all agree that no one likes Coliseum. I just wish I could have been able to put a bullet in that no-account Slamek's head after he betrayed me. After I ran all over the desert to find him healing herbs and stuff to make overnight in the cave bearable, he still turns me over to Hakeev.

He deserves his fate as a slave. I wonder who his new master became after Obisek/Romplayer blows Hakeev's head off.

*Laughs* Or since in my game, Hakeev started standing before being shot, the angle of Obisek's gun points at his 'little head'
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    'Cutting the Cord' is fine. A TR-116B will take that Scorpion Fighter down, no problem. Yeah, the 'Call Support' NPCs that have the most difficulty is where you have to get the code from the Tal Shiar officer. You need to get in quick otherwise they will all get killed off. The annoying thing in that Episode is the Optional for Engineering Captains. Turns red for failure if you are not one - if I am not one, DON'T even make it an Optional!!! Even as an Engineer I never know where I'm supposed to do that.

'Boldly They Rode', well the standard 'Kurland Here' routine is hated, but Captain Paris outshines him in 'Delta Flight' with annoying dialog if you don't pass through one of the gazillion Rings in time. Fortunately, that latter Mission has only one Reward worth getting, so you really don't have to do it again.

I like 'Night of the Comet'. For my last Delta Recruit, I did that last week and was the FIRST time I had ever done the travel through the Rings successfully on any of my Characters. I always pick up four Nerve Tonic Refreshments every time I run that Mission. There is a possible catch in this Mission. The best thing to do with Driffen's Comet is after it breaks into Fragments is do one Fragment/Shards at a time. I have done that where I broke up all three Fragments into Shards and then three of the Shards went missing and can't complete it - had to restart that last phase by leaving the Mission and shut down the Client.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    If you're playing sci during NotC, gravwell is your friend to keep comet pieces in a relatively small area. Photonic fleet can sometimes keep the D-7s occupied and let you concentrate on the comet pieces.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    So do I, now that I'm not getting lost having to traverse all those catwalks, roofs and ground areas. And dying so much.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Just wait until you reach the second half of Cardassian Struggle (especially Boldly they Rode), you'll find Cutting the Cord pretty good.

^this
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
    edited July 2016
    Boldly They Rode isn't as bad as it used to be for me. Still won't ever be a favorite, not until Kurland stops that static-filled "Kurland here!" every time I take a few steps.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Only had the problem with disappearing Shards on one Character. For Science I do use Grav Wells. On a couple of Delta Recruits I tried to ignore the D7s and just kept blowing up Fragments and Shards. Worked well and after blowing up the Comet got out of Red Alert and Warped out. Six or so D7s were left uncrippled.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Unfortunately, Operation Gamma needs to be run twice if you want those two pieces of the Jem'hadar Space Set.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns