test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is STO canon?

Comments

• Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    As far as i can gather, "Soft Canon" is as good of an term for it, but i feel they try to treat it as close to possibly being canon as they can for the sake of feeling "Authentic".

Still, yeah.. STO is very much its own thing.. Its own timeline if you will.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I don't think people get the full implications of thr TNG episode Parallels.

If there are an infinate amount of alternate universes as established by the TNG episode Parallels, making that a canon, then its makes everything canon.

Because odds are if there are infinate universes then odds a given even has happened in one of them.

When I saw everything is canon, I mean everything, not just stuff related to what we think of as Star Trek.

The events in the tv show called Fraiser, in one Star Trek universe, not the Prime Universe or JJverse or Mirror Universe, would have happened, and Dr. Fraiser Crane, His Father, Brother, Daphane, Roz, even Bulldog would be real people in the reality living their lives as shown in the TV show, in some universe within the Star Trek Multiverse.

Same with Friends.

Same with NCIS or Last Man Standing.

Maybe even with something like the Stargate series and Game of Thrones and the Forgotten Realms.

Once the infinate parallel universes is confirmed canon the implication is that everyone else becomes canon, but it doesn't dawn on the writers this is the implication of that choice.

Interestingly Stargate also has Infinate Universes, as does Marvel, DC, and many others. Its even soft canon for the Forgotten Realms.

Heck this discussion is canon, because in an infinate multiverse it would certainly happen in one or more universes.

When the Many Worlds Theory becomes canon, which in Star Trek it has, then canon cesses to have real meaning. It Prime Univere or Prime cluster of universes vs. None Prime that Matters.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    If STO was ever considered to be canon, then I believe Gene Roddenberry would rise from the dead to deliberately strike down all the individuals involved with making that decision, thus sending them to hell... or at least Gre'thor.
  • Options
    ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    IDW comic books are continuing the Kelvin timeline with some truly exceptional stories (although yeah, Kirk does damage or in one case--spoiler but not really cause it seems to happen a lot with him--critically damage/lose the Enterprise.

• Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    IDW comic books are continuing the Kelvin timeline with some truly exceptional stories (although yeah, Kirk does damage or in one case--spoiler but not really cause it seems to happen a lot with him--critically damage/lose the Enterprise.

That seems to be a running theme in the Kelvin Universe.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    If STO was ever considered to be canon, then I believe Gene Roddenberry would rise from the dead to deliberately strike down all the individuals involved with making that decision, thus sending them to hell... or at least Gre'thor.

If PWE/Cryptic showed him the amount of money that they were making, he'd say STO was the only canon thing in the franchise and all the TV shows/movies weren't canonical.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

If PWE/Cryptic showed him the amount of money that they were making, he'd say STO was the only canon thing in the franchise and all the TV shows/movies weren't canonical.​​

Most of which has been made during the long Iconian arc of the game.

Therefore...

Iconians.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    captsol wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »

If PWE/Cryptic showed him the amount of money that they were making, he'd say STO was the only canon thing in the franchise and all the TV shows/movies weren't canonical.

Most of which has been made during the long Iconian arc of the game.

Therefore...

Iconians.

OrwrQvP.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Never canon it was, never canon it shall be...
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, I have to agree this time...

Iconians
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    No idea if STO is considered official canon. But in my opinion, Cryptic has done an awesome job expanding upon canon story lines and stuff.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    no

/thread​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    No idea if STO is considered official canon. But in my opinion, Cryptic has done an awesome job expanding upon canon story lines and stuff.

Agreed.

• Options
    aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    It's not canon unless CBS says it is. Bear in mind though, the storylines have to be authorised by CBS, as Cryptic has previously said.

This is why in my opinion, the EVENTS of STO are canon, but since there is no defined ship captain to guide through the events like all the REST of trek shows, the experience is not canon.

Overall, I would call STO hard canon, but that is just me.
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    If it is not on screen then it is not canon.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    So if Star Trek believes in an infinite number of parallel universes, then Imperial Star Destroyers, Rincewind and his Luggage, Lexx, Serenity Gou'ald, and anything else we have read in a book or seen in a TV series is Star Trek canon. It is just not Star Trek Prime Universe canon which is the most important canon as far as Star Trek is concerned.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    So if Star Trek believes in an infinite number of parallel universes, then Imperial Star Destroyers, Rincewind and his Luggage, Lexx, Serenity Gou'ald, and anything else we have read in a book or seen in a TV series is Star Trek canon. It is just not Star Trek Prime Universe canon which is the most important canon as far as Star Trek is concerned.
    Canon is still only what we actually saw on screen. We haven't seen Luggage in Star Trek.

Even an infinite number of parallel universes does not necessarily mean everything is possible in some universe. If all the universes still have to follow the same rule of physics, for example, some ideas for universes are impossible to exist.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    This is a cannon
    Cannon.jpg
    it fires cannonballs

STO is not canon but fires BFaW alot
  • Options
    morden613morden613 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    No.

/thatisall​​
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    folks will know for sure (and would most likely be rather salty over it regardless) as soon as the powers that be come up with a new TV series Post TNG/Destruction o' Romulus - which won't happen any time soon but hope the new series next year will help get interest back up in star trek series in general because you'd never know.

Otherwise? the aforementioned "not as such, no.."
  • Options
    "If all the universes still have to follow the same rule of physics, for example, some ideas for universes are impossible to exist."

But not all of them do, the Fluidic Space Universe for example or a universe altered by the Q.

In fact the Q continium might be its own seperate universe, I don't know.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Star Trek Online has been the trekker susbstinance since Enterprise got cancelled. Now, with the new series coming out, I'm wondering whether any of this (STO) is going to be canon or do we ignore it? I'm fine either way but I'm just curious....IS STO CANON?

nope, no video game, novel, tech manual, or anything else licensed to use the Trek name is canon. Only TV series and movies.
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »

Untrue .... When Paramount gave Star Trek to J.J. Abrams this was changed. J.J. Abrams and Brian Fuller are now in charge of Star Trek and they decide what is and is not Canon.

The 2 4-part comic books that were put out before the J.J. movies (Countdown and Countdown to Darkness, I think) are considered canon by J.J. so are "Officially" Canon.

When Roddenberry and Berman were in charge it was "Whatever was on screen, TV and Movies."
    When J.J. took over he made those Countdown comics Canon. This is why Data is Captain of the Enterprise, it happened in the Countdown comic.

Now we have Brian Fuller and his crew in charge of TV Canon with the new show coming out....

As confused as this is I think this is the current Canon.... Remember when J.J. took over Star Wars, he stated that the extended Star Wars universe (Books and other media) were no longer Canon ....

Canon is whatever the people in charge (at that time) say that Canon is ......

• Options
    So that was a huge retcon, was an egotistical jerk. Not a Star Wars fan, but ripping someone elses favourite setting to pieces for your own greedy self interest is selfish and spiteful.

If those things were canon before, they should be canon now.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Canon is up to you, anything can be canon for you if you want it to be!

In this game...this is the truth. Write your own Captain's Log.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    But that's the issue. Canon is part of our investment in this exciting Trek world. I'm cool with the canon suggestion that was offered that this (STO) is just another alternate universe. That makes sense to me. I can get behind that. It pays respect to PRIME, Kelvin, and incorporates the possiblities while not retconing (which I hate).

The question of what is canon is likely answered with buddhist Spock: "The canon of the many outweigh the canon of the few."

I think you hit something lordgyor. The issue with kelvin timeline is largely the retcon. The story was fine, the characters okay, but their origins went against the investment/i.e. canon.

Of course academy kirk in command...sigh. that's like having a high school graduate command a submarine the day after graduation. I try but I just can't get behind it. I mean, my toon in STO...oh, wait. Uhm, we did the same thing in this game.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    darakoss wrote: »

Untrue .... When Paramount gave Star Trek to J.J. Abrams this was changed. J.J. Abrams and Brian Fuller are now in charge of Star Trek and they decide what is and is not Canon.

The 2 4-part comic books that were put out before the J.J. movies (Countdown and Countdown to Darkness, I think) are considered canon by J.J. so are "Officially" Canon.

When Roddenberry and Berman were in charge it was "Whatever was on screen, TV and Movies."
    When J.J. took over he made those Countdown comics Canon. This is why Data is Captain of the Enterprise, it happened in the Countdown comic.

Now we have Brian Fuller and his crew in charge of TV Canon with the new show coming out....

As confused as this is I think this is the current Canon.... Remember when J.J. took over Star Wars, he stated that the extended Star Wars universe (Books and other media) were no longer Canon ....

Canon is whatever the people in charge (at that time) say that Canon is ......

Lol. No. Disney took over Star Wars and wiped out the EU. Not JJ. CBS and Paramount say what's on screen is canon.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    nope, no video game, novel, tech manual, or anything else licensed to use the Trek name is canon. Only TV series and movies.

The tech manual, and episode guide, chronology (and later encyclopedia) all were originally created as resources for the writers on the shows. To help keep all of the details straight. It wasn't until later when the creators realized the resource materials could be turned into popular published materials that the fans would love.

So let's not lose sight of the fact that the tech manual and encyclopedia exist as repositories of "canon" for the original purpose of guiding the writers on the show (and later shows and films) on what came before.

If any audience would appreciate their value when discussing canon I would have thought it would be the very audience that pores over every episode. Guess I was wrong there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    But that's the issue. Canon is part of our investment in this exciting Trek world. I'm cool with the canon suggestion that was offered that this (STO) is just another alternate universe. That makes sense to me.

The main server you play on is called Holodeck. It's far more likely STO is just a holodeck simulation not an alternate universe. That explains why after dying things reappear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]