test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO canon?

13»

Comments

• starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    Star Trek Online has been the trekker susbstinance since Enterprise got cancelled. Now, with the new series coming out, I'm wondering whether any of this (STO) is going to be canon or do we ignore it? I'm fine either way but I'm just curious....IS STO CANON?

Short answer...YES​​
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Could be interesting if the new show turned out to be based around Shon and the Ent-F.
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    Star Trek Online has been the trekker susbstinance since Enterprise got cancelled. Now, with the new series coming out, I'm wondering whether any of this (STO) is going to be canon or do we ignore it? I'm fine either way but I'm just curious....IS STO CANON?

Yes, you can use cannons in STO, but only on certain ships.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Its not, but that would be awesome!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    There's only one real definition, but that definition has been redacted.
    No it hasn't. It can still be found by a bit of looking. Until a new one is issued the old one stands.​​
    Unless it's found on CBS's website... no. Otherwise it's a pale imitation of the real thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No it hasn't. It can still be found by a bit of looking. Until a new one is issued the old one stands.​​
    Unless it's found on CBS's website... no. Otherwise it's a pale imitation of the real thing.

Unfortunately rules stand until replaced, not just when people can't be bothered to look for them.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Officially no. That may one day change, I am aware that Fuller has spoken to some parts of the ongoing efforts about what they are doing, but most likely that will just bring them in line with what he is doing, not the other way round.
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Mr. Gene Roddenberry would only be upset (after rising from the dead) if he didn't receive a MAJOR cut of the game profits. (BTW TAS wasn't removed from canon for decades because GR thought it was sub par - Filmation made the claim that THEY OWNED any new characters and content like new ship designs they created for the animated series - so when the films and new series were being made, the edict came down to use NOTHING from the animated series until the court claim was settled, so Paramount didn't have any royalty claims from Filmation. After Filmation went belly up; Paramount was able reacquire ALL rights to every in TAS - so at that point, they 're-canonized' it.)

Thank god we found a sane one.​​
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Unfortunately rules stand until replaced, not just when people can't be bothered to look for them.
    Look where? unofficial sources?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    STO is all about having fun playing as captian of your own ship in Stae trek theme.

that new CBS's Star Trek take about 35 years after Capt Janeway and crew of Voyager return home.

one i heard, an actor already selected, Tony Troy.
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    darakoss wrote: »
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    If it is not on screen then it is not canon.

Untrue .... When Paramount gave Star Trek to J.J. Abrams this was changed. J.J. Abrams and Brian Fuller are now in charge of Star Trek and they decide what is and is not Canon.

The 2 4-part comic books that were put out before the J.J. movies (Countdown and Countdown to Darkness, I think) are considered canon by J.J. so are "Officially" Canon.

When Roddenberry and Berman were in charge it was "Whatever was on screen, TV and Movies."
    When J.J. took over he made those Countdown comics Canon. This is why Data is Captain of the Enterprise, it happened in the Countdown comic.

Now we have Brian Fuller and his crew in charge of TV Canon with the new show coming out....

As confused as this is I think this is the current Canon.... Remember when J.J. took over Star Wars, he stated that the extended Star Wars universe (Books and other media) were no longer Canon ....

Canon is whatever the people in charge (at that time) say that Canon is ......

Lol. No. Disney took over Star Wars and wiped out the EU. Not JJ. CBS and Paramount say what's on screen is canon.

and Paramount gave J.J. full control over Star Trek and only took it back for Star Trek Beyond....
    and OK I thought it was J.J. that did the Star Wars canon change, but OK Disney did it, but it still makes my point that whoever owns or runs it decides what is canon at that point in time.....

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    If it is not on screen then it is not canon.

Untrue .... When Paramount gave Star Trek to J.J. Abrams this was changed. J.J. Abrams and Brian Fuller are now in charge of Star Trek and they decide what is and is not Canon.

The 2 4-part comic books that were put out before the J.J. movies (Countdown and Countdown to Darkness, I think) are considered canon by J.J. so are "Officially" Canon.

When Roddenberry and Berman were in charge it was "Whatever was on screen, TV and Movies."
    When J.J. took over he made those Countdown comics Canon. This is why Data is Captain of the Enterprise, it happened in the Countdown comic.

Now we have Brian Fuller and his crew in charge of TV Canon with the new show coming out....

As confused as this is I think this is the current Canon.... Remember when J.J. took over Star Wars, he stated that the extended Star Wars universe (Books and other media) were no longer Canon ....

Canon is whatever the people in charge (at that time) say that Canon is ......

Lol. No. Disney took over Star Wars and wiped out the EU. Not JJ. CBS and Paramount say what's on screen is canon.

and Paramount gave J.J. full control over Star Trek and only took it back for Star Trek Beyond....
    and OK I thought it was J.J. that did the Star Wars canon change, but OK Disney did it, but it still makes my point that whoever owns or runs it decides what is canon at that point in time.....
    Paramount didn't "take back" control from JJ Abrams for Star Trek: Beyond. JJ Abrams production company Bad Robot developed and produced the script; and they were the ones who hired Justin Lin to direct. Just because JJ Abrams didn't direct the film himself this time out, it doesn't mean he or his company ceded or lost any control of the project.

The deal Paramount made with Bad Robot was for three new Star Trek films. This is the third film of the deal. JJ Abrams and Bad Robot were still as involved as with the development of the previous two films.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."