test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gecko's word on new factions

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
Taken from a transcription on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4qv852/geko_says_kelvin_faction_is_possible/d4w87uc
"Yes we will probably do new factions in the future - not any time soon - but I am certain that we will explore other factions in the future, but no, they will probably, uh, it is extremely unlikely that we will do standalone factions that are their own thing. It's just way too expensive, it splits up the player base way too much. We would never be able to make enough content for it, we'd never be able to catch up. Inevitably what we'd have to do is what we end up having to do for the Klingons where at some point you just end up doing the same content that the other factions do but we have alternate dialog a little bit for them."

"Because we just can't make enough content. We've already got a situation where a small percentage of the population play Klingon and a small percentage play Romulan and a large percentage play Federation. If we throw in another faction, whatever that faction might be, would be splitting it up even more. And then I have to build all the ships for them. So right now we build ships, we have to build each one of those for each faction but inevitably build more for Federation because a lot more people play that. Well if I have another faction how am I going to support that faction with starships? It's completely and utterly unsustainable. So any new faction that joins the game in the future would have their own kind of personal experience, but then at some point will join back in to the existing factions."

"Legacy of Romulus is the same sort of thing. You start out as a Romulan, and you have your own personal Romulan story, your Romulan ships, and then you pick allegience to one of the primary factions."

"So if we did Cardassians it might be something like that. Whatever faction that might be. There's a good handful of species we might leverage."

"I've hinted at things like, oh we might do Cardassians, we might do Borg, we might do Jem'hadar. Now maybe we'll do Kelvin Timeline faction. I don't know. All those things are certain realistic possibilities. Maybe we'll do a Ferengi one. Those are all realistic. Those are the ones that make most sense to leverage. Would we do a separate Bajoran faction? Probably not, we just have them rolled into Federation, would we do a Hierarchy faction? Kobali? Probably not, it's not going to be all that attractive to a large number of people. But if we do them we will look for things that are really attractive to people, where people say 'I really want to see what that experience is like.' But it won't always be new factions, Delta Rising wasn't a new faction."

Thoughts/opinions?

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    confirmed, my time here is drawing to a close. will make the most of the remains.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Isnt making a KT faction kinda redundant since we have a TOS faction? Thats not different enough.
    I hope he is just talking out of his butt on that.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Nothing we didn't already know. I'm looking forward to a Cardassian/Dominion faction if/when it shows up.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Isnt making a KT faction kinda redundant since we have a TOS faction? Thats not different enough.
    I suspect someone suggested it. But since it has different design aesthetics and now a different timeline, it might be able to cover unknown ground. But I think picking an actual original timeline faction like Cardassian, Dominion or Borg (Cooperative) would make sense.

I don't think anyone can realistically expect any full factions. There basically are none in the first place. The KDF started with no faction story, and later they added some story missions and faction-agnostic stories. The Romulans got their own starter story, and then you move into faction-agnostic stories.

I think any new faction could use this model pretty well. I wouldn't even mind if they did it even shorter than KDF or RR - 6-10 missions, and then you join the "Delta Alliance" or whatever. Just enough to tell a story that is unique for that faction and give it some flavor, so you feel what being part of that faction is about.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Nothing wrong with them making new factions like the TOS faction so long as they do not keep moving everybody into the Federation. If they did a cardie/dominion faction then maybe they can end up 'forcibly' going kdf to bring up our sides population a bit more.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Thoughts/opinions?

Means there's hope I can get a Pakled faction someday?

AWWWW YISSSSS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I will definitely make a ToS character if only to experience the unique story line but how much of the rest of the stuff i play with that character and how fast remains to be seen, the ToS character will never become what I consider to be a main character and will only ever be a little played alt and judging from this comment I expect the same will be true of any new faction they add to the game.
    with the romulan faction I felt it was substantial enough to deserve being classed as a faction even though we eventually had to choose fed or kdf to side with but with the ToS I just don't see enough substance to class it that way and by the sound of it any future faction added will suffer from the same lack of substance.

when I talk of substance I am not only referring to story missions but to things that you have after the story's are played like unique free level up ships as well as c-store ships, free unique uniform choices you can select from and certain areas of the game that can only be accessed by the faction in question like new romulan command and the flotilla that roms have.

in fact I would say that as far as I am concerned if this is the way its going to be in the future I would rather they stayed away from making new factions and just stuck to concentrating their efforts on high quality story missions instead.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    You know, if this is the case, then there's almost no reason to do more "factions" per-se. Especially in light of how the two "primary" factions - Fed and KDF, are "melting pots", and not an actual "faction".

Really. Since when did two mercenary races, a bunch of quasi-matriarchal "power behind the throne" green people, and lizards thankful for the rescue from the oppression of a shapeshifting rulership that all run around screaming "for the honor and glory of the house" on the top of their lungs not come from a "melting pot" atmosphere.

Even if said "melting pot" is built more like a pressure cooker where the Klingon in Charge dictates that all members of the KDF must assimilate to Klingon thinking, because they've never been all about "cultural diversity"...

And did I mention that those are just the "free" options. One can "buy into" being what, two or three "federation expatriot" races - Joined Trill & human, maybe Ferengi - or "buy into" being an evil cat - that also all run around with thoughts of "honor and glory for the house" instead of just trying to figure out how to "stick it to the man" back home in the "Festeration"...

So, why go through all the "hastle" of actually "building a faction-ish shell" for anyone else? I mean a whole new tutorial, "special" story arc, full set of C-store T1-5 ships & T6 variants of same and animations is an "awful lot of work" that's keeping the Cardassians, Borg, Dominion/Jem'Hadar, etc. from being "highly playable" right now. Write them as the "centerpiece" of a story arc or three, lob their ships into the "main" shipyard (much like the Temporal Line's getting/gotten dropped into the Fed's yards), write up their trait list and "approved tailor parts lists" - and introduce away...

And if the "uproar" of using a lot of the "militaristic" races to "pad" KDF playership is too rough, there's already precedent set by the "Feddie Loving Klingons" to rack up C-store sales...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

I would say that a Kelvin Universe faction would be infringing too much on the Kelvin Universe movies. So the creators of the Kelvin Universe movies would have to dictate what happens in a Kelvin Universe faction. Any additions to the Kelvin Universe faction would have to go through them first.

However, we have already infringed on the Kelvin Universe with the T'laru Intel Carrier Warbird. It is a Kelvin Universe ship that was created by Cryptic. So somewhere in the Kelvin Universe, we have these ships that might show up in future movies or TV series.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with them making new factions like the TOS faction so long as they do not keep moving everybody into the Federation. If they did a cardie/dominion faction then maybe they can end up 'forcibly' going kdf to bring up our sides population a bit more.

that would be awesome but not likely. dominion is problemtic though, cause klingon have a thing about shape shifters. see: klingon war arc. but cardassians could work if done right.. mostly need some kind of major threat to invoke needing demons to fight devils. actually the Fek'Ihri/Hur'q make a good excuse. panicked cardassian shows saying the empires oldest enemies have returned, klingon wouldn't question it at least not tell the had a chance to check for themselves.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Thoughts/opinions?

Means there's hope I can get a Pakled faction someday?

AWWWW YISSSSS!

A Pakled Faction? Will you make it Go?
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Build other factions because people want them. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Unite all the factions under a single Alphabetagammadelta Defense Strikeinitiative Allianceforce Countercommand Coalition for all you care.

A Star Trek Online with playable Cardassians/Dominion/Borg Cooperative/whatever is better than a Star Trek Online without.

Even if I end up thinking your execution of said design is errornous, I won't ever say that a more diverse list of playable factions is somehow a bad thing for the game.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Geko wrote:
    So right now we build ships, we have to build each one of those for each faction but inevitably build more for Federation because a lot more people play that.
    Fair enough, so let's get to building the Romulans and KDF a T6 Science ship already, something where effort and quality were clearly put into their design unlike the new Romulan lockbox carrier and many other Romulan ships.

Fewer content for non-Feds, fine, but at least allow the same quality of artwork as that given to Feds, and fill in the glaring gaps in ship classes, including a T6 KDF Carrier, and more faction-specific missions for Roms and KDF but that Feds can also play with modified dialogues.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    they said that most Players played Feds than other factions. Partially that is because the Show was about Feds.
    BUT they could do more to promote other sides as well.
    I have 17 toons - most of them KDF, but I have more ships on FED side than KDF - not that I use them. But getting Intel pack and temporal pack I got more FED ships than KDF. And all other cross faction packs were equal.
    Storyline is - with the exception of a few missions - pretty much the same. Feds have more missions though. So if you joined the game - which faction will you Chose? The one with lesser uniforms/ships and missions and Support (remember how Long the KDF taylor was bugged?) ? or the Mainstream one?

Suggestion: next recruitment Event do a KDF one. Get more Players to join and Play through the KDF storyline. Maybe some Players will discover that living with honour and blood wine is fun.

I'd love to see playable Cardassians. They add flavour to the game. Plus you can do a Romulan split - Pro Dominion and pro Cardassia = one sides with Feds other with KDF.

18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Or better yet -- a Gorn faction. Or an Orion faction. Or a Suliban faction that joins the Republic. :) So many possibilities.
    iconians wrote: »
    A Star Trek Online with playable Cardassians/Dominion/Borg Cooperative/whatever is better than a Star Trek Online without.​​

Pretty much how I feel, at this point. Yes, I'm disappointed that the TOS faction isn't more than it is, but given a choice between having this as a "micro-faction" and not having it at all, I'd much rather have it. So if that's the only way we're going to get new factions, I say, bring it on. :)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    So there is some hope for a small Voth heretics faction :) Good to know.

As for the 'not many people play KDF and RR' argument: you may say that it's selffulfilling prophecy, or circular logic, it's also apperently a fact that we'll have to deal with. If they say they can't maintain multiple independent factions, I'm inclined to believe them.

Which is acceptable in my opinion. New playable species for existing factions and new factions that eventually 'merge' with the others with regard to storyline, it's at least something and I would be happy if they kept adding (mini-)factions in this manner.
  • Options
    kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Just what we need another faction that they will ignore. They cant even handle the 3 factions they already have. Why do you people keep asking them for more.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    Just what we need another faction that they will ignore. They cant even handle the 3 factions they already have. why do you people keep asking them for more.

cause we keep hoping we can break up the fed part of the fanbase. so they'll be forced to do their jobs correctly... that may just be me though.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I think that Cryptic really messed this up from the start. The way it should have always been was 2 factions. One Federation faction and another Mega Alliance to counter it. Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians would have been a good start. Then you'd be more likely to have a more even player split and could develop individual race starting stories for the "alliance" races that all roll into a common endgame alliance story line. There would also be more balance because there's always going to be tons of story and ship content (from the shows and films) to draw on for the federation. Combining all the "bad guy" races into an alliance would be a nice way to counter the Federation. By pooling them all together they'd probably be able to hold their own against the Federation, content wise.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I would love either a Cardassian or Dominion faction. Along with a Gamma quadrant expansion similar size to how they treated the Delta quadrant expansion least.

Or maybe a Co-Op Borg faction, with the above Gamma quadrant expansion.
    My only concern with a Borg faction is wouldn't it devalue the LTS playable Liberated Borg?

Just a side note: when your starting a brand spanking new character you watch an intro narrated by Leonard Nimoy. When he talking about the current political powers at play in the quadrant he specifically mentions "The Dominion is rebuilding their fleet". It sounds like a foreshadowing of a Dominion faction....in Leonard Nimoys voice no less. So that can tell the future and we can keep his VO as something still relevant in game.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Geko wrote:
    So right now we build ships, we have to build each one of those for each faction but inevitably build more for Federation because a lot more people play that.
    Fair enough, so let's get to building the Romulans and KDF a T6 Science ship already, something where effort and quality were clearly put into their design unlike the new Romulan lockbox carrier and many other Romulan ships.

Fewer content for non-Feds, fine, but at least allow the same quality of artwork as that given to Feds, and fill in the glaring gaps in ship classes, including a T6 KDF Carrier, and more faction-specific missions for Roms and KDF but that Feds can also play with modified dialogues.

^this
  • Options
    kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2016

I agree but geko would never allow it as he hates non-feds. I have something here that describes what geko and this whole federation favoritism is. It is from Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country.

- Chekov: We do believe that all planets have a sovereign claim to inalienable human rights.
    - Azetbur: 'In-alien...' If you could only hear yourselves. 'Human rights.' Why, even the very name is racist. (full quote)
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    What Gecko is saying makes sense. Ships and missions for any faction take time and labor, and time and labor equal cost. It makes sense for the effort to be put where there will be a return on investment. I'd love to see more KDF and Romulan exclusive content, but the degree to which some of us take this as some kind of personal insult and offer personal insults in return is a sign of how toxic and entitled fan culture has become, not a sign that the developers are out to get one faction or another.

A more practical way to move forward would be to examine the question of how the existing factions can be merged in the future. The more the three factions work together against common threats, the less sense the artificial faction barrier game mechanic makes. There's code for faction changes already in the game, in the way Romulan characters develop after the Khitomer mission at or around level 10; there's no reason why there couldn't some day be an endgame level expansion mission that integrates Federation, Romulan, and KDF players into a proper Alliance. From that point forward in the story arcs, no one need be excluded from subsequent mission and ship design. It seems to me that the work to make this happen would be worth it in the long run, since afterward all design efforts would be spent on the unified faction and its NPC enemies.
  • Options
    arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    So you can have this pizzeria that has 75 different types of pizza, beers from all over the world or you can go to this pizzeria here that offers tepid tap water and shrimp and bell pepper pizza only. Of course there's going to be more in the first place because they offer more. Stating that there is a smaller percentage of players for KDF and ROM when there was less work put into the "factions" guarantees the numbers will reflect a smaller base. That's a rubbish way of using that as proof that more players like FED.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Nothing we didn't already know. I'm looking forward to a Cardassian/Dominion faction if/when it shows up.
    Why do you think that there will be a faction that is both Cardassian AND Dominion instead of two separate factions...?​​
This discussion has been closed.