Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    Now I think I'll name my TOS character Kevin Timeline.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I prefer the Celsius timeline myself, being European and all. :P

Seriously, though, STO has never been fully canonical (heck, the entire franchise hasn't been canonical to begin with). So, just igore it and have fun.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Aww diddums.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    whenever i see these types of threads, i always picture the stereotypical fat english gent getting his handlebar mustache ruffled as he wriggles his jowls in indignation over the idea of it.

"Kelvin Timeline ships in MY Trek game.. That's Boulderdash, pure poppycock!" as the monocle drops into his tea~

If CBS approves of it, it's Trek, just a different blend.. i can live with that, really.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Hm, I’m not that much exited myself with it OP. Still cryptic releases contend and stuff to buy based on the players preferences which has to be respected. I think by going for the new stuff or deliberately avoiding it you kinda have a vote if you like to see more JJ in STO in the future. Use it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Hm, I’m not that much exited myself with it OP. Still cryptic releases contend and stuff to buy based on the players preferences which has to be respected. I think by going for the new stuff or deliberately avoiding it you kinda have a vote if you like to see more JJ in STO in the future. Use it.

to be honest i'd be more interested in any design inspirations 'Kelvin Timeline' ships will have on newer vessels.

strangely enough i don't like some of the newer ship designs coming out, the 26th century designs don't really grab me all that much and the 31st don't set my world on fire, either. it boils down to personal taste, no?
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    67da6425c6002a8a49abcc0f15b8ad361cbf0a9e6986f9cfe07b5e2ae7b7c2b7.jpg
  • Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    there is a button for you, skip mission...there all fixed
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    Look at the bright side, those massive nacelles should make for really easy and really vulnerable targets. Login as a Klingon and go hunting.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It's amazing how I can accidentally derail a thread so completely with a simple comment like that, but then on the rare occasion that I actually TRY to derail a thread I get ignored, lol

because this one needed to be derailed and killed from the first post....
    nightken wrote: »
    I disagree, no one not even jacen was as big of a whiny ***** as kylo ren. I mean really can he even use the darkside. rey would make a better dark jedi. even emo has limits.

a 10yr old school yard bully makes a better, and more believable, villain than the character Kylo Ren. I felt bad for the actor.

I thought it was (almost) genius to make Kylo Ren how he is.

Trying to top Darth Vader or Darth Siddious? You'll never pull that off. You as writer will just appear as trying too hard by topping them, or fall flat in some way.

Make him a Vader wannabe? That's a good twist. He isn't even remotely there. He wants to be. The character is trying too hard. But he's still dangerous.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    Make him a Vader wannabe? That's a good twist. He isn't even remotely there. He wants to be. The character is trying too hard. But he's still dangerous.

Yes! That was my vibe too... I think it was indeed intentional that he acts like that... He is still somewhat a Kid, not knowing where he stands, pulled at from different directions, wielding a power he surely still doesn't comprehend fully.

In the Original Trilogy we saw Vader at the end of his way... Powerful, Menacing...
    Kylo? He is at the very beginning, he just so much as did his first real steps into a world he isn't prepared to face (in the same way that I think Finn and Rey were his first actual opponents let alone Lightsaber and Force Wielders he had to face).
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Cryptic can rest assured not another dime from me. if you are gold and go F2P do you lose any perks other than the Zen Stipend?

I sense...butthurt.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    aaand that's why i ante'd up for LTS..
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Cryptic can rest assured not another dime from me. if you are gold and go F2P do you lose any perks other than the Zen Stipend?

Awwwww, you poor baby. Here have a cookie. Seriously get over it. Before the movies ST was basically dead and now its back in full force and who knows maybe we'll finally start getting some proper sf shows.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    One can't complain about the AR/JJTrek stuff is ruining continuity but at the same time endorse ENT and VOY content, just saying...

Anyway, inlcluding the new stuff makes total sense as Cryptic's goal is to provide everything canonical referenced that is Star Trek at the expense on doing anything on their own. After that only TAS is missing having a specific plot tailored around it. I personally do not like it but I can't see why it shouldn't be in the game, especially it's the "Trek" that essentially makes money right now.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    saekiith wrote: »

Yes! That was my vibe too... I think it was indeed intentional that he acts like that... He is still somewhat a Kid, not knowing where he stands, pulled at from different directions, wielding a power he surely still doesn't comprehend fully.

In the Original Trilogy we saw Vader at the end of his way... Powerful, Menacing...
    Kylo? He is at the very beginning, he just so much as did his first real steps into a world he isn't prepared to face (in the same way that I think Finn and Rey were his first actual opponents let alone Lightsaber and Force Wielders he had to face).

yeah... scary thing is klyo ren supposed to be in his 30s. and cause I'm this big of a nerd I checked he does not use a single fully darkside power, even the torture was more a really nasty version of mind probe. odd for a vader fanboy/darkside cultist.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    If the only positive contribution of JJ Abrams to the entire world of cinema and TV would be having been a cog in the machine that allowed Person of Interest to be made, it would have been totally worth it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    If the only positive contribution of JJ Abrams to the entire world of cinema and TV would be having been a cog in the machine that allowed Person of Interest to be made, it would have been totally worth it.

I really enjoyed Fringe. Come to think of it, isn't jjverse a re-telling of Fringe?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    One can't complain about the AR/JJTrek stuff is ruining continuity but at the same time endorse ENT and VOY content, just saying...

Anyway, inlcluding the new stuff makes total sense as Cryptic's goal is to provide everything canonical referenced that is Star Trek at the expense on doing anything on their own. After that only TAS is missing having a specific plot tailored around it. I personally do not like it but I can't see why it shouldn't be in the game, especially it's the "Trek" that essentially makes money right now.​​

I don't complain about it ruining continuity, I complain about it not feeling like star trek. ENT and VOY still captured that feeling.

AR/JJtrek didn't even come close. I'm probably going to play the mission once just out of curiosity and then skip it unless theres some awesome gear reward I need. It's just one mission and a few ships, isn't such a big deal.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    It's amazing how I can accidentally derail a thread so completely with a simple comment like that, but then on the rare occasion that I actually TRY to derail a thread I get ignored, lol

because this one needed to be derailed and killed from the first post....
    nightken wrote: »
    I disagree, no one not even jacen was as big of a whiny ***** as kylo ren. I mean really can he even use the darkside. rey would make a better dark jedi. even emo has limits.

a 10yr old school yard bully makes a better, and more believable, villain than the character Kylo Ren. I felt bad for the actor.

I thought it was (almost) genius to make Kylo Ren how he is.

Trying to top Darth Vader or Darth Siddious? You'll never pull that off. You as writer will just appear as trying too hard by topping them, or fall flat in some way.

Although I have many issues with the character, I found Darth Caedus to be far more interesting than Kylo Ren. His fall, the story of a good man turning bad by doing progressively worse things, with what seemed like good intentions, was exactly what Anakin's fall should have been like in the prequels.

That said, out of New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi, Legacy of the Force is the only series I never finished.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options

I really enjoyed Fringe. Come to think of it, isn't jjverse a re-telling of Fringe?
    I think Red Matter came from Alias, not sure if it was also in Fringe.

And I'd say there might be more than one positive contribution of him (and that might include the Kelvin Timeline). But if I had to single out one, that's the one that alone would mean it was worth it.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Seriously, though, STO has never been fully canonical (heck, the entire franchise hasn't been canonical to begin with). So, just igore it and have fun.

Wisdom ^^^

Quit whining and enjoy :)
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    tousseau wrote: »
    Kevin ruined it? Who is Kevin? Lol

Bacon... Kevin Bacon ruined it. Believe me, somewhere along the line, his influence touched it in a vad way...

No not him..Wait a minute. Kevin is a Minion! He did it! @daveyny has some 'splainin to do.
    ea522a52345367cc6eacecc96a80a6c2.jpg

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »

Bacon... Kevin Bacon ruined it. Believe me, somewhere along the line, his influence touched it in a vad way...

No not him..Wait a minute. Kevin is a Minion! He did it! @daveyny has some 'splainin to do.

heres one for ya

f088d74c6c106a678eddbc2db4cbaabd.jpg
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Oh, you're disappointed, you say? Well here, let us cancel this big expansion we've been building for months.

*rolleyes*
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    cirran1 wrote: »
    The best part of this will be the salty tears of the Lens Flare fanbois when this is all they get. Their ships will become power creeped just like all the rest of em, and become a rarity. Just play the game, make fun of the Lens Flare parts and move on. It is less than a drop of water in the bucket that is STO. New content will come along and it will be just another minor part of STO. Think of all the epic trolling in sector space chat in about a year. You will see things like "hey Lens Flare fanbois, where is all the stuff you guys said was going to change the game, make it better? Oh you were talking about that 30min of content that was released last year. How's that going for you?"

Cirran

Whats a "DREK" OP?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    daveyny wrote: »

heres one for ya

f088d74c6c106a678eddbc2db4cbaabd.jpg

13d24edc1294c0d9.jpg

No Medication necessary...
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    really don't see what your problem is, so we will get a few ships and maybe some different uniforms in the c-store, probably a small area of sector space and a few missions based there, not like they are scrapping all the missions we have now to make room for a complete new set of storylines.
    its not the end of sto as we know it and certainly not the end of the world, its no big deal, get over it.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    really don't see what your problem is, so we will get a few ships and maybe some different uniforms in the c-store, probably a small area of sector space and a few missions based there, not like they are scrapping all the missions we have now to make room for a complete new set of storylines.
    its not the end of sto as we know it and certainly not the end of the world, its no big deal, get over it.

Ships and uniforms/items in lockboxes, a single episode, no social zone or sector space of any kind.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    Your right i dont speak for the majority.

But alot of fans feel that way. Just appreciate i am restraining myself from saying 'real fans'.

I guarantee you its not a minority, but since the forum is not an accurate sample of all player or fans we will never know.

a real fan would be happy to see star trek in any form be it one of the televised series, any of the many movies and even much of the good quality fan episodes that are available on youtube.

to me each incarnation has its own good and bad aspects but as long as I mostly enjoy it I am willing to except its faults, that's love for you.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.