test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which factions would be nice to see as playble ones?

Comments

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Cardassian Union
    thay8472 wrote: »
    *Shakes fist*

Im not on your lawn :D
    Oh and cardassians
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    No need for new playble factions
    KLINGONS and ROMULANS need to be lifted up to the same plateau as the FEDERATION, before Any Other Factions are even Considered!!

IvaWOgM.png
    ​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    No need for new playble factions
    Srsly, why even more factions that cryptic can happily neglect?
    The 2 non feds we have are already on life support and cryptic dosen't seem to be in a hurry to change that.
    And the "fourth" one we'll get? It's "fed 1.5" with a different turotial that megres with fed after 6 missions.

Ironically, that's actually the best way to do it. All the factions' storylines merge together anyway. It only makes sense that gameplay should merge together, too.

All the faction-unique content is at the beginning. At endgame there's nothing left of the factions but a collection of restrictions. "Can't use that, you're the wrong faction." "Can't team with that guy, he's the wrong faction." "Can't go there, wrong faction." Nevermind all the factions do the exact same missions, in the exact same way, for the exact same rewards and in general cooperate fully in everything they do. The factions are separate in name only, and that's pointless.

All the factions would be better off as origin stories. That's the interesting part of factional gameplay in STO. At endgame we should all be playing the Alliance, with no restriction based on faction.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Should have just put "other" instead of "any would be great". I don't want just any new faction, I ONLY want the Cooperative.

Resistance is futile.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    talasivaritalasivari Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Terran Empire
    I like the idea of playing the Terran Empire - sometimes, you just wanna wear hotpants and be *bad*. >:)
    Urtlolev of the Andorian Imperial Fleet
  • Options
    hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    Cardassian Union
    I guess due to DS9 Cardassians feeatured in more episodes than Romulans did. Maybe even more so than Klingons - if you don't consider Worf or Martok. I didn'T Count episodes though.
    But Cardassians were always cool.

Plus: Devs could do another "half faction" Thing, ie: split "true way" and "new Cardassia" which are allied with either Klingons or Federation - this could also bring playable Jem Haddar (for one side?)

Easiest solution therefore: new half faction joins one of those and Characters start out at lvl 50 (apparently the tutorial/ Mission part is the most expensive when creating new species, so a few missions and rest missions of the joined faction)
    This also means that we don'T have to build up another fleet and start from scratch. Plus it wouldn'T kill off the 2 faction System that exists in the game.
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Any new playble faction would be great
    We have lot of space, lot of missions but its all mainly about 3 main, there is lot of room to expand, i know that lot of people would like to see Terran empire, what about Delta species?

So lets go :)

1. Romulan Star Empire
    2. Cardassian Union
    3. Terran Empire
    4. Krenim Imperium
    5. B'Omar Sovergainity
    6. Ferengi Alliance
    7. Independent Gorn Hegemony
    8. Dominion
    9. Any other playble includes all not counted such as Voth, Borg, Haakonian Order, Zahl, Nihydron, Undine, Hirogen, Tholians,...

Also i would like to see what species you would like to see, if not as playble at least that there is a social zone like for Vulcan and Bajor, Andoria is for now just a place with snow :/

OP forgot the "OTHER"...whatever happened to the BORG collective?​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Independent Gorn Hegemony
    Yup, still not excited at the idea of mega-packs including 12 ships...
  • Options
    dolanardolanar Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think it would be great to have the option to join Tal Shiar as a playable faction. I played as romulan both in starfleet and klingons nad it seems a bit dull. Romulans should be romulans as it always been.
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    maybe a freelance kind of faction

no ties, just you and the galaxy.

lots of that in star trek and any race could do it
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Cardassian Union
    This was a hard one to vote for. I was tempted to go for Terran, but with enough uniforms we can pretend to be part of the mirror universe all that is missing is the I.S.S Prefix. My next vote would be RSE, but again even though I hate the Rebel Alliance 2.0 story, we can ignore it with the ships and RSE uniforms available.

So my official vote goes to Cardassia. I'd love to play them and see more unique ships and uniforms be made for them. it would help flesh out their side and learn their story side of things. Although I have the feeling we would be playing Romulan Republic 3.0, and not having the option to play The Obsidian Order or True Way. But Cardassian Union is still a Empire at least, albeit a struggling one.

I don't know how the story would work out. Seeing as the feds ordered the Cardassians to dismantle many of it's warships. After watching this trailer however I'd still want the chance to play as them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ZfgwPSzSg

I agree that they need to update some of the existing races. Mainly Romulan and Klingons. But looks like all the resources will be going to TOS addon, so I doubt we will be seeing anything beyond AOY updates for years to come :( .
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Cardassian Union
    I don't know how the story would work out. Seeing as the feds ordered the Cardassians to dismantle many of it's warships. After watching this trailer however I'd still want the chance to play as them.

This is an easy work around, after the iconian war cardassia sees the need to rebuild its military to help aid in the defense of the quadrant, so that another iconian war never happen again.

In short the cards pull out of the treaty , but with the aid and support of the romulan republic reinvent themselves as a cardassian republic.

Your toon starts as a glin aboard a Hideki class frigate hunting down true way terrorists, and the story can develop from there up to the point you choose KDF or FED.

The story would be much different then the roms , but the result the same a new cardassian government that wants to aid and help protect the quadrant they are in, aka wanting to become part of the good guy squad.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Romulan Star Empire
    I voted for the rSE but now I'm thinking I want a TAR faction.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Cardassian Union
    Also the Dominion could be integrated into the Cardassian faction. But not sure if the Gamma Dominion would want another partnership with Cardassia after the war. There would be a lot of mistrust and resentment. Especially seeing as the Changeling leader was released. I don't think they would forget the genocide.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    Cardassian Union
    Also the Dominion could be integrated into the Cardassian faction. But not sure if the Gamma Dominion would want another partnership with Cardassia after the war. There would be a lot of mistrust and resentment. Especially seeing as the Changeling leader was released. I don't think they would forget the genocide.
    The "Dominion" would never be a faction, as the changelings and Vorta dont fight.

It would be a Jem'Hadar faction where you spend the whole game being bossed around by your ships Vorta in a situation that would make Tovan Khev look enjoyable.

Even Gecko has said they might do a Jem Hadar faction, specifically mentioning the Jem'Hadar, not The Dominion, as being one of the few races, along with Cardassians, Ferengi, and Borg Cooperative with a big enough of a fanbase to justify even something as small as a WoW deathknight style character where they just start you off at level 50 or so.

I'd take that. Anything to play the Cardassians is good in my book.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Independent Gorn Hegemony
    The Temporal Resistance Front!! (Kremin/Na'khul/Sphere-Builder/Vorgon)

Play the underdog! Throw of the yoke of the chrono-oppresors! A huge range of ships already in game!
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    While I don't really think any new factions are needed until there's more equality among those we've got, I think a Terran Empire expansion or faction would be so easily implemented. They've already got a ton of Mirror Universe ships T5 and a couple T6, uniforms, weapons, and other game resources built. Building new content around the Terran Empire would probably be the least effort.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Considering how Cryptic will only make cross-faction content for their end game content, then Romulan Star Empire, Terran Empire, Independent Gorn Hegemony, and Dominion won't happen without some serious effort to make everyone into one big happy family. If they introduce these playable factions into the game, then they will be nice and friendly allies of the Alliance like how the Klingons were tamed. This would remove a lot of what makes them unique and worth playing.

The Borg Cooperative, on the other hand, doesn't require a lobotomy to make them fit with the Alliance.
  • Options
    Cardassian Union
    As I recall, though my memory is kinda fuzzy, he said they would likely start off a hypothetical Cardassian faction done WoW Death Knight style at the Borg arc content.

Which makes sense at the first time the actual Cardassian government, and not the True Way terrorist Cardassians, makes an appearance is during the meeting on DS9 at the beginning of the 2800 arc on what to do about the growing Borg threat.

After the 2800 stuff is done, the Cardassians would send ships to Battle Group Omega to help out there, and you would be "that guy/girl" likely being attached to a Federation or Klingon detachment for the duration of your operations.

Do you think there is a strong chance of them releasing a Cardassian faction in the near future?
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Considering how Cryptic will only make cross-faction content for their end game content, then Romulan Star Empire, Terran Empire, Independent Gorn Hegemony, and Dominion won't happen without some serious effort to make everyone into one big happy family. If they introduce these playable factions into the game, then they will be nice and friendly allies of the Alliance like how the Klingons were tamed. This would remove a lot of what makes them unique and worth playing.

The Borg Cooperative, on the other hand, doesn't require a lobotomy to make them fit with the Alliance.
    We already know The Dominion joins the Galactic Union with the Feds, Klingons, and Roms despite being overly hostile right now.

But yeah, theres zero chance for the RSE and TE to become playable, they have no desire for working with other races.

However, that could happen in the 26th or 27th Century. A hundred years is lots of time to change an enemy into a friend. They seem to be more of a neutral faction than a hostile or friendly one. As long as you leave us along, we will leave you alone. However, that assessment is purely based on The 2800 FE series which is not enough evidence to determine their relationship with the Alpha Quadrant.
    As I recall, though my memory is kinda fuzzy, he said they would likely start off a hypothetical Cardassian faction done WoW Death Knight style at the Borg arc content.

Which makes sense at the first time the actual Cardassian government, and not the True Way terrorist Cardassians, makes an appearance is during the meeting on DS9 at the beginning of the 2800 arc on what to do about the growing Borg threat.

After the 2800 stuff is done, the Cardassians would send ships to Battle Group Omega to help out there, and you would be "that guy/girl" likely being attached to a Federation or Klingon detachment for the duration of your operations.

Do you think there is a strong chance of them releasing a Cardassian faction in the near future?

As long as they are done like the TOS Starfleet "faction" with only 6 unique episodes, then absolutely. I imagine that it will only happen when the Gamma Quadrant expansion becomes available.
  • Options
    Cardassian Union
    Depends on how "near future" we are talking about here. I honestly don't see them doing it outside of an Expansion, like what we are getting with the ToS Feds. And the next expansion wont come until like October-December 2017 at the earliest.

Sure it COULD, but given how STO is going, making The Dominion our allies is really the only thing left to do after AoY.

We have already had a Voyager themed expansion, AoY is a ToS/ENT/Kelvin expansion, that really only leaves TNG and DS9 to make expansions on.... and the game is already overflowing with TNG content, making a DS9 expansion most likely.

And you cant have a DS9 based expansion without the Gamma Quad, The Dominion, and the Cardassians.

for_cardassia_by_meteorprime-d3406t0.jpg

Such a long wait though. I need some Cardassian action after watching DS9 again. But they probably be working on making more exclusive content for AOY.

• Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    Playable tribble race :-P
  • Options
    fatherrock wrote: »
    Playable tribble race :-P

Or a Playable Tribble, Horta, Exocomp, and Medusan faction or THEM Empire. THE Empire sounds better, but Medusans are too cool of a race to disregard.