test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best ground weapon?

dykerasdykeras Member Posts: 326 Arc User
Before I left, around Delta Rising, the Fluidic lance was one of the best ground weapons to use, but coming back and doing many Bug hunt missions I have not seen another person other than me using it...

Has it's damage output been overtaken so dramatically? and if so... what is considered the best ground weapon now?
The new Herald Lobi store staff? Maybe wait for the new Temporal weapons?

Comments

• Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    Right now, the base performance and ability to chain to multiple targets makes the Herald Lobi store staff really good. The TR and Shotgun are useful against Borg (to counter adaptation) and Elachi (to counter high shield values), but for most enemies the staff is a really good option... especially with the extremely limited number of methods to boost Physical and Kinetic damage.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Yeah, the Herald staff makes you look too much Space Gandalf, but it's worth it for the damage output. @breadandcircuses is spot on with his recommendations.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The wrist Lance is still as powerful as ever, but it's no longer the new hotness, so there is less interest. The new stuff is cool too. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    A full ground team wielding the Lobi Herald staff absolutely melts anything. If it is AOE that you want then two other good alternatives are the Lobi Jemhadar minigun and also the Romulan wide beam rifle.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nephitis wrote: »
    A full ground team wielding the Lobi Herald staff absolutely melts anything. If it is AOE that you want then two other good alternatives are the Lobi Jemhadar minigun and also the Romulan wide beam rifle.

With a lucky roll on Rarity/[Mods] the Romulan Wide Beam Rifle can be a nice weapon indeed; definitely a good alternative if Lobi is not an option for whatever reason.

If you haven't had much experience with the Upgrade System, your best bet is to start with the lowest Mk and best Rarity available and throw a single Upgrade at it... preferably either an Experimental + RPx1.5 or an Omega + RPx2.0. Upgrading at low Mk is less expensive in terms of Tech/Research Points, so you have better odds of getting something you want by throwing 5 Upgrades at 5 weapons than throwing those same 5 Upgrades at one. Unfortunately, in this case you'd be starting at Common Mk I and working from there.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    nephitis wrote: »

A full team with piercing plasma rifles also melts everything.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yeah, the Herald Staff from the Lobi store is probably the best weapon currently. I don't use it. Reminds me of LotR / Stargate.

I prefer more traditional looking weapons like the Voth Antiproton Split Beam Rifle, Plasma Wide Beam Rifle, Plasma Split Beam Pistol, Type 3 Phaser Rifle, Agony Phaser Split Beam Rifle and Voth Wide Beam Pistol, amongst others. Naturally, the goal is to upgrade them to Mk XIV, and hopefully Epic quality assuming I want to dump massive amounts of resources in attempting to upgrade the quality.

The Plasma Piercing Rifle is up for consideration. I bought several Mk I last time there was a Double Tech Point weekend, but I did not have the time to upgrade them because of... you know... real life...

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Where do you get the piercing plasma rifle?
  • Options
    Where do you get the piercing plasma rifle?

Exchange for everyone. It's usually best to search without specific rank or rarity.

Romulans can purchase the piercing plasma rifles from a vendor on board of the http://sto.gamepedia.com/Romulan_Flotilla.

and according to the wiki some others as well:
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Plasma_Piercing_Beam_Rifle
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    For piercing plasma rifles it is best to avoid the Exchange if you can. I have seen Mk I listed for between 100k and 400k EC from time to time. That applies to the plasma wide beam rifle Mk I as well. I rarely see the plasma split beam pistol Mk I listed on the Exchange.

So if you do not have a Romulan captain, then your earliest opportunity to buy one of those plasma weapons is when you get to the Dyson Sphere.

Oh, that is also applies to the plasma repeating pistol.
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    it may not be available anymore but i find this to be my fave above all: Zephram Cochrene boomstick
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    For piercing plasma rifles it is best to avoid the Exchange if you can. I have seen Mk I listed for between 100k and 400k EC from time to time. That applies to the plasma wide beam rifle Mk I as well. I rarely see the plasma split beam pistol Mk I listed on the Exchange.

So if you do not have a Romulan captain, then your earliest opportunity to buy one of those plasma weapons is when you get to the Dyson Sphere.

The pistol is a mission reward now.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    neos472 wrote: »
    it may not be available anymore but i find this to be my fave above all: Zephram Cochrene boomstick

TR-116B is still available from those with the Crafting skill to make it. The boomstick makes a good compliment to it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    questerius wrote: »

The pistol is a mission reward now.

Yeah, you can get it from Uneasy Allies as a leveled reward with random mods. But if you want to upgrade your own, then it's best to purchase the Mk I version.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The one plus side of buying from the Exchange, though, is that you can usually find a decent Very Rare/Ultra Rare "failed" Upgrade; you can even pick up an occasional Epic, since folks tend to be looking for a specific array of [Mods] and the Ultra Rare stage is random even when starting with a "perfect" Very Rare Mk II. Since the Upgrades and Accelerators themselves also take resources to acquire, sometimes it's easier to just get the one you want directly as opposed to gambling with the Upgrade System. Of course, this only applies to Bind on Equip items... some things you'll still need to Upgrade yourself, and many items Upgraded by other players will start out at Mk VI through Mk VIII.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Piercing beam rifles are really fun, even if you don't get lucky enough to get rarity upgrades. For killing single targets the repeater pistol is absolutely lethal. One of my Romulans still uses one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dykeras wrote: »
    Before I left, around Delta Rising, the Fluidic lance was one of the best ground weapons to use, but coming back and doing many Bug hunt missions I have not seen another person other than me using it...

Has it's damage output been overtaken so dramatically? and if so... what is considered the best ground weapon now?
    The new Herald Lobi store staff? Maybe wait for the new Temporal weapons?

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but part of the reason why few use the wrist lance on bug hunt is because of its charge time.
    The bugs are swift and with a charging time you simply do not get the most out of your weapon.

Personally i prefer split beam rifles on bug hunt.
  • Options
    I use the wrist lance with the lock box kit module Deadly intent, that lets me reset the cooldown and fire the secondary more often.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I use the wrist lance with the lock box kit module Deadly intent, that lets me reset the cooldown and fire the secondary more often.

Come to think of it. never got around to testing the deadly intent - romulan flamethrower combo.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

Come to think of it. never got around to testing the deadly intent - romulan flamethrower combo.

I'm a big fan of the flamethrower. For reasons.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    Piercing beam rifles are really fun, even if you don't get lucky enough to get rarity upgrades. For killing single targets the repeater pistol is absolutely lethal. One of my Romulans still uses one.

Yeah, the Plasma Repeater Pistol is really good. I gave an Epic Mk XIV version to one the Boff on my RR Science captain. Just waiting for the next Double Tech Point weekend especially since I am thinking about arming one of my captain's ground team with Epic Type 3 Phaser Rifle Mk XIV. I upgraded 3 of them to Mk XIV, but they are only rare weapons. :(

Yeah, upgrading is going to be a long and tedious process since I have 9 captains on my primary account and my goal is to push all ground gear to epic Mk XIV. Then there is the space gear that needs to be upgraded.
  • Options

The one plus side of buying from the Exchange, though, is that you can usually find a decent Very Rare/Ultra Rare "failed" Upgrade; you can even pick up an occasional Epic, since folks tend to be looking for a specific array of [Mods] and the Ultra Rare stage is random even when starting with a "perfect" Very Rare Mk II.

I only recommended that people avoid buying the Mk I versions (common) from the Exchange where I have seem those weapons listed for 100k to 400k EC. The weapons themselves only cost 250 EC when purchased from a Romulan vendor or Dyson Sphere vendor.

• Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    I'm sorry, but the best ground weapon is the TR-116B Rifle - Sniper Rifle. Shields? What shields. It penetrates shields entirely and allows you to keep smacking your opponents around as if you were an adult slapping a bad child for doing bad things. Have 5 of them and you just kill things with such ease. Unless they have bulldongs immunity stuff, which is bulldongs.

Though, I'm probably guessing that you mean what's the best weapon that doesn't make the ground game feel cheap, then that would be the probably the Herald Staff.
  • Options

Yeah, the Plasma Repeater Pistol is really good. I gave an Epic Mk XIV version to one the Boff on my RR Science captain. Just waiting for the next Double Tech Point weekend especially since I am thinking about arming one of my captain's ground team with Epic Type 3 Phaser Rifle Mk XIV. I upgraded 3 of them to Mk XIV, but they are only rare weapons. :(

Yeah, upgrading is going to be a long and tedious process since I have 9 captains on my primary account and my goal is to push all ground gear to epic Mk XIV. Then there is the space gear that needs to be upgraded.

Okay now I'm really curious. I've never given the Plasma Repeater any thought. It always just seemed like the throw-away "other" reward along with the Romulan ground set. I'll have to play Uneasy Allies again and try that weapon out. Thanks.
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    If you do not have the Romulan Imperial Navy Career-Specific Kit for your captain, then I recommend you get it since it gives you a 20% plasma bonus. It also gives you +2.2 Critical Hit and +8.8% Critical Severity.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Romulan_Imperial_Navy

If you have two pieces from the Romulan Imperial Navy Set, then you also get +30% Critical Severity when crouching. I actually like this ground set more than any of the reputation ground gear. The only bad thing about this set is that your character can only have one armor and one shield from this set. It would have been nice to outfit all my Boffs with the Romulan Imperial armor and shield.
  • Options
    I do have the full set. I use it on of my mains, too.
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    Repeaters do stupid single target damage. That is all. It doesn't sound cool until you try it out. The primary is very fast, and the secondary uses a battery charge mechanic. Fully charged the secondary is overkill on most enemies. Bosses might take a few :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Can confirm, the Herald staff does stupid high damage. Set the thing to autofire, and my toon practically becomes a living WMD.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    The only Herald weapon I REAALLY wanted to use they didn't give us... :( That mace the Defilers have..... mmmmm cracking skulls... wANT!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    kojekoje Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    If you do not have the Romulan Imperial Navy Career-Specific Kit for your captain, then I recommend you get it since it gives you a 20% plasma bonus. It also gives you +2.2 Critical Hit and +8.8% Critical Severity.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Romulan_Imperial_Navy

If you have two pieces from the Romulan Imperial Navy Set, then you also get +30% Critical Severity when crouching. I actually like this ground set more than any of the reputation ground gear. The only bad thing about this set is that your character can only have one armor and one shield from this set. It would have been nice to outfit all my Boffs with the Romulan Imperial armor and shield.

I'm currently using the full RIN set with the repeater pistol and it is pretty awesome. However, I have recently reached the point of being able to craft the TR116 sniper but I can't decide if it's worth switching since it is not part of any set bonus.

Any thoughts?