test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

shud JJships be in game store or luck box?

Comments

• Options
    benirving#4449 benirving Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    game store
    They will do whatever makes them the most monies regardless of what the players want.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    game store
    Putting a T6 Connie in a lockbox is the most brilliant marketing idea Cryptic has ever devised. Nobody can be mad when appreciating the pure ferengi-like beauty of such a decision.

I highly doubt they give us the AR version without the normal one BTW.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    luck box
    samt1996 wrote: »

Whereas I'm pretty damn certain they won't give us a Prime T6 Connie.... yet. There's no reason not to absolutely MILK every fan of TOS who will settle for an AR Enterprise now (ca'ching $200), and cough up a second time when they release the TOS T6 six months from now (ca'ching another $200).

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    game store
    There are 4 ships... 2 fed, 1 kdf & 1 rom... chances of it being lock box is high... almost certain. however I prefer it to be in store so I can buy... I will not do gamble box... that should be outlawed. saying you use keys and not money is disingenuous.

as far as I know, one can not buy grab bags with unknown items but with fixed value items in it at shows... least not in California. course that was using cash... they get around laws like that by using keys/virtual coins etc... loophole in law that should be closed. open box and you get to choose any 1 item from FULL list... since its all 1's and 0's anyway with no real world value... right?
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    game store
    Lockboxes are in no sense a scam, a scam is a dishonest scheme, where something is misrepresented.

It's a false allegation, a lie, and you shouldn't repeat it.

first of all who are you to tell me what i should or shouldn't say, + you are not allowed to call me a liar. I never insulted you, try to do the same.
    a scam is a dishonest scheme

not in all cases (business tactics), and yes, it is a scam (not a fraud); not by lies but by omissions. they don't give at the players all the facts needed to take a decision. I learnt this lesson when I was a noob in this game.

oh! yes, the boxes are intended to give 4 lobis (no lie here), and if you are lucky you can have more. then, you want to buy the stuff from the stores at ridiculous prices, and the uniforms/outfits are not even useable by the boffs. you could tell me, no need to buy these stuff with lobis, there is the exchange. oh! yes it is true, but when i see the prices of these items, I can not prevent me laugh.

greed still has a bright future.
    anyway, have fun with your beloved boxes. end of discussion. there are more interesting subjects.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    game store
    If they for some weird reason will actually be free event ships (ha!) I'll probably grind them out, though. I have nothing to do in STO aside from logging in and running a flying high, I could use another thing pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    luck box
    LOL, if Cryptic really wants to make money got to put all of them in lockboxes. Key sales will make them a TON more than just selling them in the store and letting the fan boys off easy. This way folks who don't want them will still drive sales as they buy zen and put the keys on sale for 5to6 million a piece. Other wise the folks that don't want anything to do with them wont buy them and Cryptic doesn't make anything off of them.

Cirran
  • Options
    arthas242arthas242 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    game store
    cirran1 wrote: »
    LOL, if Cryptic really wants to make money got to put all of them in lockboxes. Key sales will make them a TON more than just selling them in the store and letting the fan boys off easy. This way folks who don't want them will still drive sales as they buy zen and put the keys on sale for 5to6 million a piece. Other wise the folks that don't want anything to do with them wont buy them and Cryptic doesn't make anything off of them.

Cirran

you assume no one gets pissed and quits STO forever because the long awaited romulan carrier gets put in a lock box....

yeah if they are smart they will put it in C-store.....

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    game store
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Neither, why? Because CBS and Paramount said so.

Your 'information' is out of date.

Is it though? The FCT is still pretty clear on that.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    luck box

you assume no one gets pissed and quits STO forever because the long awaited romulan carrier gets put in a lock box....

yeah if they are smart they will put it in C-store.....

[/quote]

Reasons for rage quitting have been endless since the game went live. There will be no mass exodus if they put all the ships in lockboxes. There will be a ton of useless forum fury but that is it.

Cirran
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Some of each?

I would guess there would be a few of both C-store and Lockbox ships. Though possible, I would think it is unlikely that they would let Klingon players fly the Kelvin, Enterprise or Vengeance, so I would guess C-store for them. Another likely C-store ship, the D4 patrol ship is problematic, are they cruisers (prime universe), birds-of-prey (marketing), or shuttles (on screen size)? The Narada and Jellyfish could go either way. If they add the K'normian trading ship, it will probably be a gamble box of some sort.

Of course, the real question is, will we get the Corvette?​​
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    luck box
    Honestly, I voted "luck box" because it sounds cooler than lockbox.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    game store

Cirran

Only the biggest fans of those ships would pay the price of a lockbox ship for one of these, whereas these would probably be the best selling c-store ships of the year if they went that route, with a very large portion of the player base buying at least one, and many buying two or more.

Lockbox ships may make more money per ship, but c-store ships sell more quantity, and that combined with the popularity of these ships would lead to Cryptic making far more money by putting them in the store. I mean, any time a new c-store ship comes out they are literally EVERYWHERE you go, but on the flip side there are some lock box ships I still have never seen in use.

If these ships are in a lockbox, it's because of a CBS mandate, not cryptic's decision. C-store and lockboxes BOTH keep the lights on in this game, C-store for highly popular faction ships, lockbox for less popular alien ships. Otherwise, if c-store was the less favorable option, EVERYTHING would be in a lockbox.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    pls add option "TRIBBLE box"

LOL
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    luck box

Cirran

Only the biggest fans of those ships would pay the price of a lockbox ship for one of these, whereas these would probably be the best selling c-store ships of the year if they went that route, with a very large portion of the player base buying at least one, and many buying two or more.

Lockbox ships may make more money per ship, but c-store ships sell more quantity, and that combined with the popularity of these ships would lead to Cryptic making far more money by putting them in the store. I mean, any time a new c-store ship comes out they are literally EVERYWHERE you go, but on the flip side there are some lock box ships I still have never seen in use.

If these ships are in a lockbox, it's because of a CBS mandate, not cryptic's decision. C-store and lockboxes BOTH keep the lights on in this game, C-store for highly popular faction ships, lockbox for less popular alien ships. Otherwise, if c-store was the less favorable option, EVERYTHING would be in a lockbox.
    Ultimately this is all pretty speculative. Cryptic can count the sales and money mad from lockboxes or from C-Store ships pretty well.

But the deciding factor of what goes to the C-Store and what goes into a lockbox might not even be so much grounded in what money they can make, but the setup they have committed on a long time before - non-faction and "exotic" ships go into lockboxes and promos, faction ships go to the C-Store. It's a rule every player can understand, too.

Just like they could make money tons of money by selling story content, they promised a long time ago that they wouldn't do it. That's their model, they are sticking to it. And I think the "value" of all of this is that they know that it works and people rely on it.

I think a few ships, if they had not released them considerably before lockboxes, like the Kar'Fi Battlecarrier or the Galaxy Dreadnaught would have been lockbox ships, too.
    It becomes interesting and less difficult to estimate when it comes to ships from alternate timelines and parallel universes. There would be arguments to put the Kelvin Timeline ships into the C-Store (because they are faction-specific) as well as putting them in a lockbox (they are from an alternate reality).

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    samt1996 wrote: »

Whereas I'm pretty damn certain they won't give us a Prime T6 Connie.... yet. There's no reason not to absolutely MILK every fan of TOS who will settle for an AR Enterprise now (ca'ching $200), and cough up a second time when they release the TOS T6 six months from now (ca'ching another $200).

I am 99.999% certain that the next lockbox or Lobi Store will contain the Tier 6 AR Enterprise and the Tier 1 TOS Enterprise is necessary to get the Tier 6 TOS Enterprise. Put the Tier 1 TOS Enterprise costume on the Tier 6 AR Enterprise and you have a Tier 6 TOS Enterprise. After all, to sell a Tier 6 TOS Enterprise would require selling a ship that looks different from the Tier 1 TOS Enterprise since Cryptic won't sell a ship that looks exactly like another STO ship.
  • Options
    luck box
    I hope you have a billion Ec handy (the exchange cap). Or are ready to wait until October or so. There is just no need for anybody to post theirs for less. We're talking a ship that puts the Annorax to shame for desirability.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Doubtful they will put faction specific ships in lockboxes, but if they do I'll be ready with my EC to buy the ARconnie off the exchange.

The Paradox is in the Lobi Store for any faction to use and it is clearly a 29th Century Starfleet ship. Considering that there is only the Narada for Romulans, D4 Scout ship for the Klingons, and JJprise, Vengeances, and Jellyfish for Starfleet, then Cryptic either needs to create more JJ Universe Romulan and Klingon ships are make one of the JJ Universe Starfleet ships as a Cross-faction ship.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2016
    game store
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Well they can do a Kelvin Timeline D- 7 since we saw them in Kirk's KM test, without having to make anything up I mean.

Klingon Warbird.

Warbird_Orthos_1680.jpg​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    game store
    Voted store as I personally dont believe any ships should be in a luck box at all, but then I am a naturaly unlucky person.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,834 Arc User
    Stupid question...of course they're going to be in gamble boxes...they make a ton more money that way.
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    game store
    If the core JJ ships end up in Luckboxes I will slam my wallet closed and never spend another dime on this game. The jellyfish ship in a lockbox OK, it should have special features, and be rare. But IF the Kelvin Class, or Nerada Class, or JJ-Prize end up in the game they had BETTER be in the C-store. After year and years of hearing " No JJ trek in STO." From the Devs, to all of sudden them saying " YES JJ trek in STO,, but only in lockboxes" would be BEYOND infuriating!!!!! For the record I do support branching off a bit into the JJ-Verse,, Star Trek '09 was actually a pretty good movie. The wrath of Khan 2.0,, not so much,, but coulda been worse. BEYOND looks REALLY good. Also has others have said, perhaps it will bring the next generation of Trek Fans into the game, the ones that don't really know TOS, or TNG, or DS9, etc, but like JJ-Trek.

Edit: IIRC wasn't it a standing policy since lockbox's first appeared that Faction Specific ships would not go in them? Then again isn't the Wells Faction Specific? Anyone have an input on this point?
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    luck box
    If the core JJ ships end up in Luckboxes I will slam my wallet closed and never spend another dime on this game.

I always wonder what goes through people's heads when they declare as loudly as possible "Dear Cryptic, please ignore me forever because I am not a customer."

You KNOW its going to be a lock box offering. Not a question, not a poll, not a debate. So why deliver an ultimatum that's 100% self-defeating?

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    luck box
    nikeix wrote: »
    If the core JJ ships end up in Luckboxes I will slam my wallet closed and never spend another dime on this game.

I always wonder what goes through people's heads when they declare as loudly as possible "Dear Cryptic, please ignore me forever because I am not a customer."

You KNOW its going to be a lock box offering. Not a question, not a poll, not a debate. So why deliver an ultimatum that's 100% self-defeating?

Delusions of importance.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    luck box
    Delusions of importance.

((long sigh)) I suppose so.

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    I say add them to the C-store already

JJTrek may not be my trek, but its the trek of the next generation of trekkies and should be included, after all whether you like it or not its still trek...deal with it B)

6asynti.gif

Now all you TNG fans who think that version is the epitome of 'Star Trek' (it's not); know how we TOS fans felt in 1987. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."