test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Color Me Disappointed...

alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
I didn't really know what to expect when I saw the teaser for 5/5, but now that the announcement has been made I'm kinda bummed. I know a lot of people are getting excited over it, but I'm just not feeling it... I didn't even think the 5/5 announcement was going to be anything more than a special anniversary episode, featuring VOs from some of the remaining TOS cast members. Instead, it turns out to be the expansion announcement.

Personally, I was really hoping for a Cardassian-themed expansion, with a Cardassian mini-faction and maybe some interesting stuff to do in the Alpha Quadrant besides Defera and the Terran Battlezone. Maybe even some exploration of the Gamma Quadrant, the most unexplored quadrant of the Star Trek Milky Way. I mean, I would've been pumped as all getup if the announcement was for anything other than an expansion, but because this TOS-themed one is being released in the place of what many in the STO community expected to be a Cardassian-themed expansion its a bit of a letdown (and a mild dream-crusher...).

I'm not really a huge fan of TOS *gasp*! I feel like it's blasphemy saying that you don't care for O.G. Star Trek, but I could just never get into it much. DS9 and Voyager are my beloved Trek works, and since we've already had a Voyager-based expansion (Delta Rising), I had figured a DS9-based one (Cardassians, Dominion, Gamma Quadrant, etc.) would be not too far behind.

I'm fully aware that this is the 50th anniversary of TOS and the Star Trek franchise as a whole, but making an expansion that only focuses on TOS, especially when this game is supposed to be taking place 150+ years after TOS chronologically, is very odd to me. It almost seems as if all the time travel stuff we've been getting lately was implemented solely for this expansion to make sense in the STO universe.

Let's not even mention the fact that, as of right now, this expansion caters 100% to Feds only. There is nothing in this expansion as of now for the KDF and Roms, which is really disheartening. My main may be a Starfleet Tactical Officer, but I have an equal amount of characters from each of the three factions. I hope something is done about this soon, otherwise that'll be another reason to be bummed about this expansion.

In summary, I'd like to see the devs focus on new stuff of their own design/creation. The Deferi were a good first start, but there hasn't been much like that since, if anything. I want to see STO move forward in the Star Trek universe, exploring places and showing us things that truly haven't been seen before. I don't want to keep seeing old story plots rehashed and add-ons that don't even take place within the timeframe that STO is set in. The only thing I'm cool with regarding this stuff is the Temporal Cold War, since Enterprise didn't show much of it. Focus on that, instead of using it as a convenient segway into something that only caters to a particular group within the STO community, and a certain portion of the Star Trek fanbase.
Post edited by alphahydri on

Comments

• Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    I'm not a fan of TOS and I hate the TOS aesthetic. 90% of the show was utter garbage so hopefully they only hit the high notes in their story. I'm not interested in rolling yet another toon just to play content. And now the business model is to make the Delta Recruit event, except just for Feds, into an expansion... just sad really.

I think they greatly overestimate the appeal of the TOS era to the entire fan base. Only a portion of the crowd has nostalgia blinders on for that show, so unless they put some major power items into the pack, I think I'll be holding onto my Zen. The only thing that I am interested in on face value is the Temporal Sci T6 ship.

As long as they don't lock the story content behind the paywall - which would be unprecedented - I'll just go about my normal business. Now if they made a TNG or DS9 expansion, I'd be all over that.
  • Options
    cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    i would have much prefered the TMP ship styling over the TOS
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    I'm right there with you. I've got nothing against the TOS stuff, but it does seem a bit excessive to make the much anticipated third expansion essentially only TOS content. Sure there may be a bit more, but it doesn't add much in terms of the STO universe and it's kinda a snub on the ardent players who've been calling for a Cardassian or Cooperative faction for years now.

I'll continue playing, but I doubt I'll experience the new content. I don't have much of a desire to make a new character, let alone a TOS Starfleet only one.

So I'll be back in the corner, waiting for my Cooperative (though I'd play a Cardassian in a heartbeat too. :) )
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    It'll be nice to revisit the beginning of the franchise, a refreshing change from the last six years. I don't thing leveling a new characters will feel like a grind since we have an entire new arc of missions to enjoy. After that I'll dump it and go back to my main.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Look. 50th means celebrating the origins of Trek.
    TOS
    I'm sorry you're upset. But why did you get your hopes up ?
    Never get your hopes up you'll always be disapointed.

I mean even though I personally love TOS, I'm still not getting my hopes up.. it may be crappy content when we finally get to play it. So why bother even thinking about it at this point.
    And if you thought anything else but some kind of TOS announcement was coming, you were not thinking clearly or logically.
    Why else did they tease a Connie ?

Besides, who is to say a cardy faction will not come sometime down the line ?

Also, why even make a whole new thread based on your op.
    There's like 3 already up where your op would've fit in nicely.
    If everyone who was bummed out about this TOS announcement made a thread, it would quickly get out of hand. And drive @jodarkrider up the wall.

Also...you can't please everyone all the time. There's always someone dissatisfied.
    No matter what the announcement is.

They could give away 100k in refined dil and people would come to the forums and complain about it.
    Or a free ship...and people still would find a reason to complain.

Point being, there was no reason to believe a cardy faction was coming. None whatsoever.
    So its your own fault for getting all excited about it. Don't be such a downer.

There's many, many, many TOS fans within the community who are very pleased about this.
    Much of the demographic of STO is middle aged people, who grew up with TOS or at least TNG.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    This shouldn't be called an expansion but just a release. I guess since it is 12.0 instead of 11.75 version they had no choice. I can save some money for something else since I already own those OLD ships. They look like something a grandpa would play.

Not my style either and won't make a new toon to waste time in something not fond of. I know some others love old stuff but as for me it's a "meh" expansion.​​
  • Options
    samt1996 wrote: »
    It'll be nice to revisit the beginning of the franchise, a refreshing change from the last six years. I don't thing leveling a new characters will feel like a grind since we have an entire new arc of missions to enjoy. After that I'll dump it and go back to my main.

Meh, I may just try it out like you said... But still, my heart's not in it. TOS was never my favorite, I enjoyed it more than Enterprise and Next Gen (GASP!) but DS9 and Voyager are what I watch when I need a Trek fix.
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    alphahydri wrote: »
    Personally, I was really hoping for a Cardassian-themed expansion, with a Cardassian mini-faction and maybe some interesting stuff to do in the Alpha Quadrant besides Defera and the Terran Battlezone. Alas, it doesn't seem that will happen now.

Given that the whole 5/5 thing started with a trailer showing the Constitution Class Enterprise, and at no stage has the hype for it suggested anything other than TOS content of some kind, I can only describe your hopes for it as expressed here as highly illogical *raises eyebrow, Spock style*.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    After seeing the announcement(s), I honestly have no desire to log in now, much less when this steaming pile hits.

I get that they want to force everyone to play FEDs, but that makes most of us who don't want to....either dig our heels in more and get increasingly bitter about it, or just say "never mind," and game elsewhere.

And, to think, at one point, I thought "they screwed KDF/ROMs again" was an exaggeration, or just silliness.
    Post edited by sinn74 on
  • Options
    Who wouldve thought eh? @valoreah
    Its crazy I tell ya !
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    It's seems somewhat hasty to me to start in on the shortcomings of content that nobody has seen. This is an announcement, serving to introduce a whole new expansion. Yes, it starts within a TOS time frame. If that's not totally up your alley, that's cool. They can't please everybody no matter what they do. However, I must point out it seems silly to even believe this takes place entirely within TOS stardates. Look at the T6 ships that are part of the pack! This expansion will ABSOLUTELY be thrust into the current STO century, or even the 31st century.
    As an analogy, if you never read a book beyond a disappointing or boring first chapter you will definitely miss out on some of the great works of literature. Give it a chance before lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    steaen wrote: »
    alphahydri wrote: »
    Personally, I was really hoping for a Cardassian-themed expansion, with a Cardassian mini-faction and maybe some interesting stuff to do in the Alpha Quadrant besides Defera and the Terran Battlezone. Alas, it doesn't seem that will happen now.

Given that the whole 5/5 thing started with a trailer showing the Constitution Class Enterprise, and at no stage has the hype for it suggested anything other than TOS content of some kind, I can only describe your hopes for it as expressed here as highly illogical *raises eyebrow, Spock style*.
    I didn't really expect the 5/5 announcement to be a TOS-themed expansion, though. I thought it was a teaser for a new episode or series of episodes based on TOS. I know I worded it weird, but in my mind 5/5 wasn't an expansion announcement.

I mean I was excited for the announcement because I thought "Yay more time travel!", but it ended up being way more than that, to the point where I'm not excited anymore, just disappointed. Does that make sense?

• Options
    I'm with you, Voyager and DS9 and Enterprise (heresy yes but for some reason I liked the different setting) are my go to series.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    [quote="sinn74;12921996"]After seeing the announcement(s), I honestly have no desire to log in [i]now[/i], much less when this steaming pile hits.

I get that they want to force everyone to play FEDs, but that makes most of us who don't want to....either get dig our heels in more and get increasingly bitter about it, or just say "never mind," and game elsewhere.

And, to think, at one point, I thought "they screwed KDF/ROMs again" was an exaggeration, or just silliness.[/quote]

Lol. They made one announcement about the expansion with more info on the way. Nowhere have they said yet that it's Fed only. Perhaps wait til we all have all of the info?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'm right there with you. I've got nothing against the TOS stuff, but it does seem a bit excessive to make the much anticipated third expansion essentially only TOS content.

You're right. Creating all TOS content for the 50th anniversary celebration of TOS is crazy!

Excessive in making the much anticipated third expansion essentially only TOS.

Like I said, I get having a special event, or a featured episode or two. But the whole expansion?

I'm just bummed because I've been holding out hope for a Cooperative faction for a few years, failing that it would've been nice to see a Cardassian one like the OP said. But TOS? Ok, sure. I'm glad the TOS fans are getting an entire expansion, it still stings everyone who's been patiently calling for a Cardassian or Cooperative expansion.
  • Options
    Going off topic but if we ever get another faction I'd rather it be Cooperative. Far more interesting things could be done with them story-wise and technologically.
  • Options
    Problem is what ships would we fly with a borg faction ? Probes and spheres ? Cubes ?
    I don't want to see people in cubes that's for sure.
    I'd rather keep the borg as enemies.
    You can already play a lib borg if you re really into that.
    Cardy faction would've been interesting though i admit.

And again who knows ... The iconian arc had given a possible entry for a cardy faction..so you never know.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    sinn74 wrote: »
    After seeing the announcement(s), I honestly have no desire to log in now, much less when this steaming pile hits.

I get that they want to force everyone to play FEDs, but that makes most of us who don't want to....either get dig our heels in more and get increasingly bitter about it, or just say "never mind," and game elsewhere.

And, to think, at one point, I thought "they screwed KDF/ROMs again" was an exaggeration, or just silliness.

Lol. They made one announcement about the expansion with more info on the way. Nowhere have they said yet that it's Fed only. Perhaps wait til we all have all of the info?

I said things like this in the lead up to delta... never appeared. in fact klingons pretty much disappeared and roms only showned up so your clearly fed captian coould save them... and we still only got the ship that were first announced.

so the question is, who are you, that do not know your history.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I honestly think Devs are just running out of CREATIVE juice and no more inspiration to design a better "story line". I get they want to make a temporal storyline but why go so extreme in the old stuff?

It would have been more productive to call this something related to "Temporal War" rather than do a whole series of stories on TOS and dedicate but just one episode to TOS. Wait there is already another similar storyline in "Everything Old is New again" from the devidian arc. I guess that wasn't enough for old content.tiger-2.gif​​
  • Options
    tetonghost#5954 tetonghost Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    TOS is way better than TNG, Voyager, AND DS9....combined. I am thrilled that finally the focus will be TOS and not wannabe later iterations.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    [quote="nightken;12922038"][quote="darakoss;12922012"][quote="sinn74;12921996"]After seeing the announcement(s), I honestly have no desire to log in [i]now[/i], much less when this steaming pile hits.

And, to think, at one point, I thought "they screwed KDF/ROMs again" was an exaggeration, or just silliness.[/quote]

Lol. They made one announcement about the expansion with more info on the way. Nowhere have they said yet that it's Fed only. Perhaps wait til we all have all of the info?[/quote]

I said things like this in the lead up to delta... never appeared. in fact klingons pretty much disappeared and roms only showned up so your clearly fed captian coould save them... and we still only got the ship that were first announced.

[/quote]

What? Lol. Are you saying you couldn't use a Klink or Rom too in Delta?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    This expansion thing that they just announced is a joke right? It does not seem legit at all. Seems a little odd and would not fit into the game at this point, imo. I hope this is a silly joke. Then I will laugh.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    sinn74 wrote: »

What? Lol. Are you saying you couldn't use a Klink or Rom too in Delta?

I'm not drunk enough but I'll try any way. no I'm saying you only saw fed ships for most of delta and the story pretty much assumed you were fed, and rom and kdf combined got less ships then the feds and we only got what was first announced.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    TOS is way better than TNG, Voyager, AND DS9....combined. I am thrilled that finally the focus will be TOS and not wannabe later iterations.
    That's a very subjective statement, and one that I find to be woefully inaccurate. TNG, Voyager, and DS9 contributed a lot more to the Star Trek universe than the three seasons of TOS ever did. Yeah, TOS started the franchise, but to me TOS' metaphorical "children" surpassed it in more ways than one.

Besides, STO is set in the 25th century, not the 23rd. I can understand going back to the TOS era for a few episodes, but making an entire expansion out of something that happened over 100 years prior to STOs current events is just really out of place and wacky to me.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    It's not what -I- wanted, but it does make sense for several reasons:

1. It's the anniversary of TOS
    2. Most of the assets already existed
    3. It's still a very popular time period
    4. It ties in somewhat with the new movie
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    They officially found a way to milk the cows during an anniversary. Outstanding!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    If you parse their language they say that X, Y, or Z can be used by TOS or Federation Characters. That implies that TOS Characters are not (just) Feds.

Yes heresy, but I liked Enterprise. You young whippersnappers, you just don't know the 'wonder' of watching Star Trek when it first premiered on September 8th, 1966. I still remember missing about 15 or so minutes of the first run of the last episode 'Turnabout Intruder' on June 3rd, 1969 because they kept breaking in to tell us about the results in the New Jersey Primary.

Yeah, the effects are terrible from our perspective NOW, but back then it was 'out there' at the time. 2001: A Space Odyssey was the first to really get the Special Effects into the modern era. That was a movie in 1968. Bigger Budget, more time.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User

You mean besides saying that you can only make a Starfleet captain, and unlock all of this stuff for TOS and Federation captains?

How would YOU say "FED only" in an announcement?
  • Options
    badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    Only 3 more years and we get the 20th anniversary of the last great Star Trek movie, Galaxy Quest. What will Cryptic give us for that ?