test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday could be the BEST thing to happen to STO in terms of Story and Content.

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    While i would not mind the earth romulan war aspect on STO, as someone else pointed out, it should not be too gimmicky and a rehash.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Considering how many art elements are in the game that are applicable to the TNG, DS9 and Voyager era's I could easily see them be able to do this and still do an additional expansion every year. The special expansion packs would probably allow enough influx of cash to hire on a few extra people to help with the extra workload as well.

The TOS, the Motion Picture era (but that and the post Wrath of Khan era films are pretty much the same besides the uniforms) and the Enterprise era (considering the only existing assets are the ship and the uniforms) are the only two that would require the most in the way of new models and environments.

Who wouldn't get behind the idea of getting potentially 2 expansions every year? Sign me up!

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some tie-in stuff from the new TV show since as I understand it that is owned by CBS and not Paramount (which is why we don't have anything in game from the new films).

• Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    To be fair, what else were they going to do for the 50th
    catsmeat wrote: »
    I'm an old (perhaps even ancient to some here) person. TOS IS Star Trek to me. I loved it way back when it was new and I love it now that it is old (like me).

This, many times over. To me, those glorious 60s stylings alone are worth giving the expansion a good look.

I honestly think that Cryptic will make *far* more from their TOS-styled designs than any comparable Cardassian/ Dominion/Borg bundle. Heck, that T5 Battlecruiser brings the Feds level with the KDF for an endgame-capable TOS ship.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    at least with delta there was only a couple of cut scenes that you missed if you didn't take part, there is far more you will miss with this event and that is totally unfair for many players who are happy with the characters they have and don't feel the need to create more.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. There's absolutely no way that Cryptic will lock out an expansion's worth of content after short 6 weeks and only make it available to new characters in that time frame. They've spent a lot of time and effort making this content and they want to get the most out of it.

I'm sure more details are to come, but to begin speculating (to put your mind at ease that the sky is not falling, there are ways that it may not) what we may see is the new TOS missions setup as the first series for players during the event but are later moved to follow the current temporal arc (and from that point open to all existing characters, if they weren't already.) Think "what happens to any new mission during the seasons" but applied to full story arcs.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    bergins wrote: »
    Show me where this has been officially stated. We have seen the first blog and the announcement of the Ship Packs, nothing else.

Wild assumptions are wild.

Actually, I was just about to back you up, but the blog does indicate that focus will be mainly on the TOS content, and very little on existing character.

Let me show you:
    In addition to the ability to create a brand new Star Trek: The Original Series Starfleet captain, we will be introducing a new episode arc for players of every faction, the Temporal Initiative Resistance Reputation, a Temporal Operative Primary Specialization along with brand new Bridge Officer powers. Players who create their captains during the first six weeks of launch will also be able to participate in the new Temporal Agent Recruitment system for bonus personal and account-wide rewards, a new iteration of the popular Delta Recruitment system that released a year ago. This release is packed with content to keep you engaged in the classic Star Trek: The Original Series era - and beyond.

Granted, that does not mean that all the new content has been revealed yet, but I get a clear sense, that they will be putting alot of efford into the TOS.

Too early to actually determine this though.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    The number of players who care about TOS far outweighs those who care about races nobody but hardcore fans would recognize. You are not a sample size of the player base sorry.

Provide a link to hard mathematical statistics for your claim here, or this is nothing but your own personal opinion.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The number of players who care about TOS far outweighs those who care about races nobody but hardcore fans would recognize. You are not a sample size of the player base sorry.

Provide a link to hard mathematical statistics for your claim here, or this is nothing but your own personal opinion.

That would be hard I assume...

I don't remember more than a handful or two, asking for ToS content every month... And those are mostly either the same people, or "Why no T6 Connie" when you split them apart.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    Ok, I admit I'm excited for this expansion but no Klingon/rommime TOS ships is a letdown for me. Any word yet on whether or not we'll be getting any new non-Fed TOS ships?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    ...Not many people were calling for a TOS expansion. A very vocal few have been calling for a T5/6 Constitution since launch, but I don't recall seeing the scores of threads and discussions of people pining for a TOS era expansion....
    Seems to me, the past few months, all the speculation has been about bringing in Shatner, or maybe Bakula to do VO work for the Anniversary. Lots of excited people talking about this, seems like more than a "very vocal few" to me. Maybe you've been away from the forums? Welcome back...
    ...At least with LoR launch there was a bunch of stuff added for people to do even if they weren't making a Romulan character. This TOS expansion doesn't do that. It barely adds any new universal content with the exception of a new reputation and featured series.

Show me where this has been officially stated. We have seen the first blog and the announcement of the Ship Packs, nothing else.

Wild assumptions are wild.

No, I've been around. Never very vocal myself but I keep apprised. I was aware of how many people wanted some type of special TOS anniversary event, which would've been fine with me. But for Cryptic to make the majority of the third expansion about TOS? Seems a shame.

As for the second point you raised, someone else already called me on it. :tongue:
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Ok, I admit I'm excited for this expansion but no Klingon/rommime TOS ships is a letdown for me. Any word yet on whether or not we'll be getting any new non-Fed TOS ships?

nope and assuming we're getting any, it's not likely we'll hear anything tell the last minute.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options

With the last two expansions, people mentioned missing some things too, that ended up being added, or planned already, just not revealed yet.

The next month or so, should shed more light on the content...

Who knows...? Maybe the Roms and the Klingons get their own full packs?
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »

With the last two expansions, people mentioned missing some things too, that ended up being added, or planned already, just not revealed yet.

thank you, I needed that laugh.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options

I don't remember more than a handful or two, asking for ToS content every month... And those are mostly either the same people, or "Why no T6 Connie" when you split them apart.

I watch the forums regularly, i listen to my 2000+ strong armada regularly, noone was screaming for a TOS expansion, this was Cryptics idea.

Claiming that any sample size doesn't matter, or that people care more about TOS than "spoonheads" is nothing but speculation.

Yea he can't show mathematical statistics, because there are none.

• Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User

Not sure if serious.
  • Options
    nightken wrote: »

Well with that attitude, I certainly hope that Cryptic is NOT working on KDF content for this expansion... At all.
    I watch the forums regularly, i listen to my 2000+ strong armada regularly, noone was screaming for a TOS expansion, this was Cryptics idea.

Claiming that any sample size doesn't matter, or that people care more about TOS than "spoonheads" is nothing but speculation.

Wasn't that the point I was making?
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User

LOL!
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2016

Apparently, you don't watch the forums enough. There are requests for a t6 connie every other week (they're just not overt as they used to be and are often veiled attempts). Aside from that, I distinctly remember some people suggesting the new t6 nebula use a TOS style model.

Within the game itself, I see a lot of people flying connies and excelsiors as well as dressing up like kirk/spock. Yes, my evidence is anecdotal but there are enough TOS fans to make this expansion successful. You think Cryptic doesn't have internal metrics showing data like how many people have characters named after Sulu, Kirk, etc? It's not like they're taking a huge leap of faith here based on nothing but intuition or a gut feeling.

Regarding the new pack itself, the t5 battlecruiser is clearly an attempt to partially satisfy connie fans and people will undoubtedly snag it for that very reason.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    nightken wrote: »

Well with that attitude, I certainly hope that Cryptic is NOT working on KDF content for this expansion... At all.

Wasn't that the point I was making?

Was it?, just say you agree with me, i can handle acceptance.

• Options
    Apparently, you don't watch the forums enough. There are requests for a t6 connie every other week (they're just not overt as they used to be and are often veiled attempts). Aside from that, I distinctly remember some people suggesting the new t6 nebula use a TOS style model.

Within the game itself, I see a lot of people flying connies and excelsiors as well as dressing up like kirk/spock. Yes, my evidence is anecdotal but there are enough TOS fans to make this expansion successful. You think Cryptic doesn't have internal metric showing things like how many people have characters named after Sulu, Kirk, etc? It's not like they're taking a huge leap of faith here based on nothing but intuition or a gut feeling.

Asking for a T6 Connie is not the same as asking for a ToS branch of STO... merely a wish to run your favorite ship at endgame.

I would really love to know where you stick around in STO?

The reason is, that I simply can't remember the last time I saw an Excelsior or a ToS uniform.

• Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    K, since people are still not getting the picture here...

The new TOS content will be for TOS Starfleet characters only, as implied by the announcements. There will be no non-Fed TOS ships... at least none have been announced, and since they are only opening the event to TOS Starfleet characters it seems unlikely. There are no TOS Klingons or TOS Romulans announced, therefore we may assume that there will not be any at launch, if ever.

We may safely assume that non-TOS content that ties into the temporal storyline will be available for all three of the existing factions. But I wouldn't assume that means we get to go back to the TOS era story arc with 24th century technology to do it. We still have plenty of temporal insurgents to deal with in the 24th, 26th, and 31st centuries and no hint of what Noye and the Sphere Builders are up to. However, I don't see a plain statement that the TOS arc won't be available to everyone so I won't make that assumption either.

I have a strong suspicion that the Temporal Multi-Mission Science vessel and the Temporal Raider will be multi-faction ships, but until we see confirmation that is not a safe assumption.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Within the game itself, I see a lot of people flying connies and excelsiors as well as dressing up like kirk/spock. Yes, my evidence is anecdotal but there are enough TOS fans to make this expansion successful. You think Cryptic doesn't have internal metrics showing data like how many people have characters named after Sulu, Kirk, etc? It's not like they're taking a huge leap of faith here based on nothing but intuition or a gut feeling.

Regarding the new pack itself, the t5 battlecruiser is clearly an attempt to partially satisfy connie fans and people will undoubtedly snag it for that very reason.

I watch the forums more than enough to know there has been no real effort to ask for a TOS expansion, a lot of people dressing as kirk and flying connies doesn't translate either, nor does any request for any new nebula skinned in TOS era.

Again ive seen all the requests for a new T6 connie, that doesn't tie in with with a new TOS expansion request.

I see you have 1779 posts to my 140, maybe thats confusing you, i have been watching the forums and posting on them since release.

Your wrong.

Anything else?

• Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I'm not too sure what's going to happen yet in AoY, but I do know. if we can work it proper. we could expand into the TNG, DS9 era......or even go as far back as the Enterprise Era and participate in the Romulan War we never got to see in the sadly cancelled series.

If it's done right, we could see multiple fronts open up in the game, to expand into a loosing episode where we fight in Wolf 359, and participate in the first battles against the dominion (this alone is at least twenty episodes worth of content and a chance to bring Avery Brooks into the field).

let us hope this expansion opens the doors to STO's new future.

You mean the BEST EVER! and are you being sarcastic...if so this thread is doomed!​​
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    For me, the TOS era holds absolutely zero interest.

I recognize that without it, we would not have Star Trek today, but I have always found it extremely hard, even painful to watch.

Couple that with the somewhat random directions the STO writers seem to take all the time, I fear AoY will be a similar experience.

nothing to add, I think the same thing
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    I doubt your claims, OP. I figured we'd be getting a couple of episodes based on TOS, but a whole freaking expansion with ships and everything is a little over-the-top.

Let's not forget that STO is set in the 25th century, not the 23rd. Making an entire expansion that basically sets the game back 100+ years, literally, is the wrong direction I feel.

Also, like others here have said, I've seen some T6 Connie threads and a few TOS episode ideas, but not once have I seen anyone ask for a TOS-themed expansion. It's always been a demand for a Borg/Cooperative-themed or Cardassian/Dominion-themed expansion.

Not everybody is a fan of TOS, you know. I started playing this game because I wanted a continuation of the story we've already gotten from the Star Trek universe, not to be thrown back in time to the retro years and fly ships that are 100+ years out-of-date. If they wanted to do a TOS-themed anything then that should've been this game from the get-go, but it's not.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    @shurkhemolight

Like many people I have met in this game I am not a gamer I am a Star Trek fan. I play exactly one Game, this one. So while a new and original alien faction might sound like a good idea to your average gamer STO is not your average game or player base. I don't think it's a great leap in logic to suggest that far more people will be interested in stories surrounding the characters who founded this great franchise then two factions most people could barely remember if they tried. One of which appeared in exactly one episode.

I myself would probably enjoy a Cardassion or Cooperative faction more but I realize what the majority like and that Cryptic's decisions will always have to be made according to the number of wallets they will open. Furthermore, I can't make any certain judgements about how much I will enjoy it until I actually play it. Cryptic seem poised to really hit a home run this time.

As always no hard feelings and i am sorry i can't provide hard facts as only Cryptic can do that. The fact they have made this expansion rather then a Cardassion or Cooperative (or something else) would seem to further support my hypothesis however.
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    @shurkhemolight
    As always no hard feelings and i am sorry i can't provide hard facts as only Cryptic can do that. The fact they have made this expansion rather then a Cardassion or Cooperative (or something else) would seem to further support my hypothesis however.

I think it really has to do with the anniversary more than anything. They were due for a new expansion and probably planning a TOS themed event and just decided to combine them because of the current temporal story arc. Thinking about where the STO storyline is at the moment it is an opportune time to add the TOS stuff.

Plus, as you said it's all about the $$$. For some reason they probably think they'll get more cash out of this than another mini-faction. They might just. Hopefully they get so much cash they'll speed up their time table and get another expansion out in less than three years this time. :)
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User

I watch the forums more than enough to know there has been no real effort to ask for a TOS expansion, a lot of people dressing as kirk and flying connies doesn't translate either, nor does any request for any new nebula skinned in TOS era.

Again ive seen all the requests for a new T6 connie, that doesn't tie in with with a new TOS expansion request.

I see you have 1779 posts to my 140, maybe thats confusing you, i have been watching the forums and posting on them since release.

Your wrong.

Anything else?

I have no idea what the numbers are for people asking for a TOS expansion. I CAN tell you that I have been on the forums nearly as long as you and was a moderator for awhile. I have seen more than one post on the subject, at different times from different people, and that's not counting all of the T5/6 Connie posts which probably run up into the hundreds if not thousands. So while I was not one of the people asking for it, some people have been asking for it for a long time. If we hadn't gone through three different forum reboots, I'd be tempted to search for them.

But it's pointless. They're not doing the expansion because a few forumites asked for one. They're doing it because they're well aware of the TOS fan base, because the 50th Anniversary is coming up, and because a new JJ-Verse movie will be coming out. All of which may be expected to kindle interest in playing STO.

This has everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with what the forum wants.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    @quiiliitiila

Yeah the anniversary is also important I think it was a number of factors and from a business standpoint was actually quite brilliant. They can now successfully cash-in on countless die hard TOS fans and I have no doubt that should keep the servers running a few more years. ;)

They seem to be doing expansions every two years or slightly less so cheer up you never know what's coming next! Though I think there are a few more things to backtrack on before we get another full faction.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    In my opinion a TOS expansion appeals more to older players, while a Cardassian/Dominion/Borg expansion would have appealed more to younger ones.

- on average, older players, though probably fewer in numbers, tend to have more money to spend
    - the TOS era is likely to appeal to them on an emotional level since they grew up with it (which plays an important part in advertising)
    - there are far less TOS era ships already in the game (while most cannon Cardassian, Borg and Dominion ships are already there)
    - a TOS expansion has that sense of novelty attached to it
    - this year is the 50th anniversary of the original show. If STO features that era it might get more media attention and thus more free advertising.

Now this is my opinion. Only Cryptic knows what made them make this decision.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    stobg2015 wrote: »

Your wrong.

Anything else?

I have no idea what the numbers are for people asking for a TOS expansion. I CAN tell you that I have been on the forums nearly as long as you and was a moderator for awhile. I have seen more than one post on the subject, at different times from different people, and that's not counting all of the T5/6 Connie posts which probably run up into the hundreds if not thousands. So while I was not one of the people asking for it, some people have been asking for it for a long time. If we hadn't gone through three different forum reboots, I'd be tempted to search for them.

But it's pointless. They're not doing the expansion because a few forumites asked for one. They're doing it because they're well aware of the TOS fan base, because the 50th Anniversary is coming up, and because a new JJ-Verse movie will be coming out. All of which may be expected to kindle interest in playing STO.

This has everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with what the forum wants.

All of which i have absolutely no issue with, and if anyone has followed all of my comments on this subject my only problem with this expansion is that it seems to shoehorn people into creating a new toon and leaving their established worked on characters on the fed side out in the cold.

A couple or 3 new FE's for those long established toons, one of mine now 6 yrs old doesn't cut it for me sorry.

Easily as many people that may have mentioned a TOS storyline have also been countered by as many asking for a Cardy or Borg Coop. faction. Easily as many people who have done so have also been countered by people who would just like to see STO cleaned up stability and bug wise.

I get it people like the idea of this expansion and they are trying to peddle it, thats fine, i hope they like it, i dont happen to be one of them.

Pointless is people stateing facts that dont exist in defense of their peddling to call out people who dont like this, wanna know why i dont.?

I have 1 fed tac, 1 fed engineer, and 1 fed sci, as well as 1 rommy/fed sci, not only will they be limited in participating in this content but,

I also have 1 kdf eng, and most importantly 1 rommy tac, who happens to be my favorite toon and my main who will at least until clarification be pretty much thrown under the bus entirely.

Perks from a temporal recruit?, grind 40-60 lvls to give her some perk?

While i dont think people should bash people who are happy with this, i also dont care to be called out because my rommy main will see pretty much squat from this.

I want to play her, not have her sit around waiting for candy from some 140 yr old rookie from kirks era.