test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday could be the BEST thing to happen to STO in terms of Story and Content.

daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
I'm not too sure what's going to happen yet in AoY, but I do know. if we can work it proper. we could expand into the TNG, DS9 era......or even go as far back as the Enterprise Era and participate in the Romulan War we never got to see in the sadly cancelled series.

If it's done right, we could see multiple fronts open up in the game, to expand into a loosing episode where we fight in Wolf 359, and participate in the first battles against the dominion (this alone is at least twenty episodes worth of content and a chance to bring Avery Brooks into the field).

let us hope this expansion opens the doors to STO's new future.

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    some of that would be really cool, but if that becomes a major focus, I could see that driving off players
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Might be worth even more in future if the rumours about the period jumping anthology show turn out to be true.
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Hopefully not. It's nice and gimmicky but that's all it is. Gimmicky.

They're not really advancing the game all that much. No new factions (or quasi-factions), only one new universal story arc with a new reputation and some very specific T6 ships.

Unless you plan on playing the TOS content (not everyone does) this "full expansion" accounts to very little change from the status quo. They're just playing off the fact that it's the TOS' anniversary.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    It's like a new faction but instead of a different species it's a different time.
  • Options
    samt1996 wrote: »
    It's like a new faction but instead of a different species it's a different time.

That's the problem. Instead of adding a new faction like the Cardassians or Cooperative (both of which have huge community support) they add some weird TOS faction which really only caters to a specific group. I'd probably make a Cardassian, I'd definitely make a Cooperative Borg, but a TOS character? Nope. Couldn't care less.

I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. It's a let down. We were all expecting the next expansion to advance the game somewhere with lots of content, instead this expansion's making a lot of very specific content that unless you play the TOS character, you won't see.
  • Options
    The number of players who care about TOS far outweighs those who care about races nobody but hardcore fans would recognize. You are not a sample size of the player base sorry.
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Lol. If Fed-specific TOS-era temporal-themed content is the best thing to happen to STO, that's a sad commentary...
  • Options
    frasier13frasier13 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    While I was (and apparently many others) was hoping for something else in the next expansion I can not say I am not excited/optimistic for this. I like the TOS era and, depending on how it's executed, see potential for other eras of Trek to come afterwards
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Delta recruit + the Spectres story arc only for Feds is not the best way i think
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Best thing to happen to STO would be STO2 with a new engine.
  • Options
    The number of players who care about TOS far outweighs those who care about races nobody but hardcore fans would recognize. You are not a sample size of the player base sorry.

Races only hardcore fans would recognize? Cardassians and Borg are races only hardcore fans recognize?

To be clear, I never said I was a sample of the player base. I said I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Which is true. Regardless of whether or not people want another racially centered faction (like me), there are also people who are disappointed that this is the direction they chose to go with the expansion.

Not many people were calling for a TOS expansion. A very vocal few have been calling for a T5/6 Constitution since launch, but I don't recall seeing the scores of threads and discussions of people pining for a TOS era expansion.

But, good for them! Hell, if I got the Cooperative I'd be beside myself with joy. I'm not boycotting the content or anything silly like that, just pointing out that they're not adding much for players who don't plan on making TOS characters. At least with LoR launch there was a bunch of stuff added for people to do even if they weren't making a Romulan character. This TOS expansion doesn't do that. It barely adds any new universal content with the exception of a new reputation and featured series.
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    So my current characters will not have access to this new content and in order to play it I have to buy all new ships? While I love the original series, I'm pretty excited for the new actors playing classic characters and the content on the trailer looks great, the new to create characters and my already existing characters will function like separate factions? It might be something if you play through the new stuff then get tossed forward in time to be able to play the new or something, but how will some of the specifics like gear (both mission rewards and reputation) work across the accounts?
  • Options
    drakomagidrakomagi Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Keep this in mind: We are still missing a good number of the details.

For instance: 25th century captains are getting a featured series and reputation. Okay, that's usually par for the course for a new season anyway. Do our older characters have any impact on the new storyline, since we've already been recruited for temporal missions?

What happens when a 23rd century captain reaches max level? Do they suddenly find themselves in the 25th century at some point in the timeline, such as before the Cardassian arc where the current 3 faction storylines meet up?

A lot of blanks still need to be filled in. So, the best thing we can do is wait and see.

As for a release date: my bet is September 8th.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    johnnymo1 wrote: »
    So my current characters will not have access to this new content and in order to play it I have to buy all new ships? While I love the original series, I'm pretty excited for the new actors playing classic characters and the content on the trailer looks great, the new to create characters and my already existing characters will function like separate factions? It might be something if you play through the new stuff then get tossed forward in time to be able to play the new or something, but how will some of the specifics like gear (both mission rewards and reputation) work across the accounts?

There is new content for the 25th century characters as well. Sure, the 23rd century Feds are the focus but there is a new story arc being released and will be opento the existing three factions.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    This TOS expansion doesn't do that.

and you know this how? it's not even on TRIBBLE yet

as i recall, when the very first announcement for LoR was unveiled, there was no mention of anything for non-romulan fans to enjoy - that was all revealed later on​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    This TOS expansion doesn't do that.

and you know this how? it's not even on TRIBBLE yet

as i recall, when the very first announcement for LoR was unveiled, there was no mention of anything for non-romulan fans to enjoy - that was all revealed later on​​

True, you may be right. I don't remember how much of the additional content they announced for LoR right off the bat.
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I am calling release date now. New featured episode on May 12 that acts as a prologue/ introduction to the process. That will last for 3-4 weeks. Release of new expansion in early to mid June; 2nd, 9th, or 16.
  • Options
    ricardo58ricardo58 Member Posts: 19 Arc User

That's the problem. Instead of adding a new faction like the Cardassians or Cooperative (both of which have huge community support) they add some weird TOS faction which really only caters to a specific group. I'd probably make a Cardassian, I'd definitely make a Cooperative Borg, but a TOS character? Nope. Couldn't care less.

I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. It's a let down. We were all expecting the next expansion to advance the game somewhere with lots of content, instead this expansion's making a lot of very specific content that unless you play the TOS character, you won't see.

What's the point of adding new Factions if STO content keeps basically being Federation theme only... Look at ROMs and Klingons, they are unique in only 2 or 3 story arcs only, and then they get pushed into Feds.
    All game interactions are pretty much Federation only...
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016

sorry to burst your bubble but as a massive star trek fan I have to disagree with your comment, with delta recruit you never really missed anything very much if you didn't want to take part apart from a couple of cut scenes and the rewards, with this new incarnation there seems to be a considerable amount of content you will miss out on unless you create a new character.

sure it would be cool to play this new content but you should not be locked out from playing it just because you are happy with the number of characters you have and don't want any more at this time.

I am sad to see cryptic take this route with the game, never before have I ever felt like I might be excluded from playing content that is a large part of the game until now.

I would much rather have seen a new faction then this as I defiantly would have enjoyed this at some stage in the future when I am ready to create a new character.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    For me, the TOS era holds absolutely zero interest.

I recognize that without it, we would not have Star Trek today, but I have always found it extremely hard, even painful to watch.

Couple that with the somewhat random directions the STO writers seem to take all the time, I fear AoY will be a similar experience.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    If you don't want to experience all the new content you don't have to. Don't make a new character nobody is forcing you to. I welcome thinking outside the box and this for me is Cryptic thinking outside the box.

It's a TRIBBLE game dude if you don't enjoy something don't do it, yes it's that simple.
  • Options
    korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    This does seem a little odd. Though I guess if you have enough die hard fans that want the TOS ear they will pay out for the packs.

What I would really like to know, and I appreciate its beating a dead horse that has never gotten an answer. As it seems there wont be a new faction, notably Cardassian which people thought might be an option after the revamp. Will Cardassians be added to the C-Store for players to take through with the temporal new characters this summer?

I may be imagining it but it seems Cardassian star fleet officers have been cropping up from time to time in the fiction or set piece in game. It seems that the game was moving in this way, however we now have a TOS era expansion which may play a little strange on non fed characters, though I am sure it will become clear.

Will we ever get to play a Cardassian which hasn't been created as an Alien which means sadly is a few clicks at the tailor to being anything else.
  • Options
    ricardo58 wrote: »

What's the point of adding new Factions if STO content keeps basically being Federation theme only... Look at ROMs and Klingons, they are unique in only 2 or 3 story arcs only, and then they get pushed into Feds.
    All game interactions are pretty much Federation only...

I want it for access to even a small unique story and ships. Even if forced to choose red or blue we still are technically part of a separate faction with access to their ships and Boffs and command. I guess it's more a psychological satisfaction in knowing you're not just masquerading as a separate faction, you ARE one... No mater how watered down. It's having access to ships that aren't behind a paywall or lockbox.

Shallow? Maybe.
  • Options
    I welcome thinking outside the box and this for me is Cryptic thinking outside the box.
    Can't argue with you there. I may be disappointed, but if it makes them money and keeps the game running, more power to them.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    If you don't want to experience all the new content you don't have to. Don't make a new character nobody is forcing you to. I welcome thinking outside the box and this for me is Cryptic thinking outside the box.

It's a TRIBBLE game dude if you don't enjoy something don't do it, yes it's that simple.

Overreacting much? Your doctor can give you something to reduce your blood pressure.

Let me point something out for you:
    I fear AoY will be a similar experience

See the word marked with Bold here? That means that I am unsure.

You need to learn to think a little outside the box, maybe take a breather and look at the bigger picture sometimes.
    If you had done this, your blood pressure would be lower now, because you had realized that it was general concern and not a blind rage.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    catsmeatcatsmeat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm an old (perhaps even ancient to some here) person. TOS IS Star Trek to me. I loved it way back when it was new and I love it now that it is old (like me).

I get that some of you may dislike it, but for my tastes this forthcoming expansion seems to me a grand thing!

So much negativism here on the forums as usual but rest assured Cryptic, some of us are truly happy at this announcement! :)

Cheers

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User

its not a case of not wanting to experience all the new content for me its just a case of not wanting to create a new character just to experience all the new content.
    at least with delta there was only a couple of cut scenes that you missed if you didn't take part, there is far more you will miss with this event and that is totally unfair for many players who are happy with the characters they have and don't feel the need to create more.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    ...Not many people were calling for a TOS expansion. A very vocal few have been calling for a T5/6 Constitution since launch, but I don't recall seeing the scores of threads and discussions of people pining for a TOS era expansion....
    Seems to me, the past few months, all the speculation has been about bringing in Shatner, or maybe Bakula to do VO work for the Anniversary. Lots of excited people talking about this, seems like more than a "very vocal few" to me. Maybe you've been away from the forums? Welcome back...
    ...At least with LoR launch there was a bunch of stuff added for people to do even if they weren't making a Romulan character. This TOS expansion doesn't do that. It barely adds any new universal content with the exception of a new reputation and featured series.

Show me where this has been officially stated. We have seen the first blog and the announcement of the Ship Packs, nothing else.

Wild assumptions are wild.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    catsmeat wrote: »
    I'm an old (perhaps even ancient to some here) person. TOS IS Star Trek to me. I loved it way back when it was new and I love it now that it is old (like me).

I get that some of you may dislike it, but for my tastes this forthcoming expansion seems to me a grad thing!

So much negativism here on the forums as usual but rest assured Cryptic, some of us are truely happy at this announcement! :)

Cheers

You aren't the only one looking forward to this. I grew up with TNG, DS9 and VOY when they aired, caught TOS on re-runs and eventually got TOS Remastered on DVD.

A TOS expansion is easily within the top 3 things this game has got. Not sure on the order, but the only things I see it competing with to me would be Season 6 (fleet starbases) and LOR.

I am very happy right now and can't wait to make a character. TOS is a great show with its own charm.

Now, if this new faction will eventually also include the TOS movie era then It might be the best thing ever (to me) and I will love it (even more).
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"