test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poll: Reaction to Temporal Front

nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
As there's some frustration with the Temporal Front poll going on , lets try again.

Please feel free to add comments about your vote/response, as this poll is anonymous.

Poll: Reaction to Temporal Front 92 votes

I greatly enjoyed playing through Temporal Front
22% 21 votes
I somewhat enjoyed playing through Temporal Front
29% 27 votes
I was unmoved by playing through Temporal Front
14% 13 votes
I somewhat disliked playing through Temporal Front
6% 6 votes
I greatly diliked playing through Temporal Front
10% 10 votes
I found things I both strongly liked and disliked about Temporal Front
11% 11 votes
I have not yet played through Temporal Front
4% 4 votes

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    I enjoyed the mission although the opponents could have been a bit more challenging.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I played it with a buddy of mine and liked it. So far STO handled the temporal story telling quiet nice and respectful. They gain more depth than in the actual shows and I don’t expect more from a video game.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    It was just, Okay, for me. However episodes these days are feeling way too short, once you do get any excitement going, aww, episode is over already!
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I thought it was a good length and enjoyed the talking at the start although it was a bit low on plot I can see how it's setting up the wider storyline. The should have gone the full hog and killed Jmpok though.

I was a little confused about how we're dealing with the Na Kuhl time travellers now when I thought we'd be dealing with Krenim first. I guess we'll be fighting both at the same time?

I enjoyed the interrogation and talking to the delegates but thought there needed to be a lot more variety in our responses when talking to them. It was pretty much "I agree" or "Violence is the answer" which seemed a bit weird.

Also the final fight was over way to quickly but I think there was a bug. I swear the portal was only at half health when it exploded. I was right next too it when it happened too so being killed in the cutscene and having to wait to be respawned spoilt the moment some what.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Just another grind. IMO nothing really new and just pew...pew..pew

Can we move back to Borgs now please? or at least be more creative about the temporal wars?​​
    DUwNP.gif

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    i dont care about the temporal front, should of added that as an option.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

I don't care about your special snowflake-ness beyond

"I was unmoved by Temporal Front"
    -and-
    "I haven't played Temporal Front"

or, you know, not voting.

:smirk:
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    It's okay. Better than fighting magic Iconians, but I really don't understand Cryptics affection for long unskipable cutscenes as of late. It feels like they make stlistic errors people tend to do when they discover how to make maps/missions for their favourite game - too much unnecessary 'weight'. Like the cutscene where you fight the episode's villian. When you defeat him you get to see a cutscene that looks nothing like the fight you just had and you get placed at a fixed location nothing anywhere near you were. The scene itself is pointless and full of little animations, like a badly done power point slide with way too much color and even animation. It stops the gameplay dead in it's track and it "invalidates" what you just did because the scene turns out like this anyway.

In the old Breen arc we had this dealt with better. The viallian would simply show a "speech bubble" and flee the scene while a few new mobs come to keep us busy. Even though it constructed it feels like he/she is actually getting away and we need to chase. Now we clean out mobs and watch a movie, then clean out more mobs and watch a movie. The cutscenes decouple us as players from what is actually going on. This may be a weird comparison, but it reminds me of the days when EA sports started to replace the real-time "celebration shots" of your players in NHL 97 with pre-rendered scenes in NHL 98+ (the same for FIFA) like in the celebration scene you can see that the players are nowhere near the place they took the shot from. I don't know if anybody can understand what I mean, but it's not a good thing pig-2.gif

Storywise, I really don't like the temporal agent nonsense and going back and forward in time which as with the last episodes still never feels like we actually go to the past or future since people in the future, aside from Starfleet, all wear the same cloth, fly the same ships, are possibly vastly outgunned by us and all that. In my head I really replace all references to time with some reference to space as it makes just so much more sense than chasing someone through time or "running out of time" while time-traveling.

I don't understand why we have to go after this timegate of the Na'Kuhl now in the first place. If that's how they go back and stop the Federation frome xisting, why did they attack the conference and make everybody aware of their plans in the first place? Also, the assasination bit seems somewhat shoehorned in. I applaud the work that went in making these little movie snippets and we have an obvious homage on STVI going on here, but again they distract from the gameplay somewhat. Also, why does S'taas immedeatly jump to the conclusion that the Romulans poisened J'Mpok? That really doesn't make sense, we passed that point of racial mistrust already.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Also, why does S'taas immedeatly jump to the conclusion that the Romulans poisened J'Mpok? That really doesn't make sense, we passed that point of racial mistrust already.​​
    Jarok, a Romulan, refuses her drink and the chancellor just happens to get poisoned afterwards by the same kind of drink. If anything, S'Taass is familiar with the Romulan Empire's methods. But I agree that at this point, pointing fingers at Jarok is a duck move.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It was good in general, and I really liked the way it mirrored Time and Tide once I noticed that, but I did find it very predictable.
    edited April 2016
    With how jumpy all of these so called diplomats are, Heaven forbid anyone just swallow wrong and spend 45 seconds coughing up some ordinary wine :),

And not to mock how barbaric Star Trek tech is in the hands of bad writers, but does anyone think the HEADS OF STATE for the greatest powers in the quadrant aren't in a state of perpetual transporter lock while in a room full of potential hostiles. The moment J'Mpok made his second awkward squeak he should have been transported through an aggressive biofilter and materialized on the pad with every molecule of that drink in a sealed beaker next to him. And in all likelihood beamed back to the outer foyer less than 20 seconds later. "Sorry for the interruption. Only, without the 'sorry' because I'm a Klingon and you can all suck it. I had a call I needed to take."

Having to leap in front of the President of the United Planets is even more silly when the head of their security detail should be able to press a stud on their wrist and whisk Okeg to heavily fortified safety. Our guns today are more than powerful enough to kill the person behind the person who eats the bullet first. I tend to imagine a 29th century terrorist has at minimum "Tellerite-piercing" ammo :wink:...
    nikeix wrote: »
    (...)I tend to imagine a 29th century terrorist has at minimum "Tellerite-piercing" ammo :wink:...

Tellarites are unbreakable! pig-24.gif

But I agree with you. Maybe not the transporter lock, I can see transporters are locked out of that room for a reason. They need to pass some sort of forcefield as well. But the whole taking the bullet thing came out of nowhere. Also, the assasin used a actual projectile for the assasination, didn't she?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I gave up on all the nit-picky details back before the game went F2P.

Now-a-days, I just do each mission and enjoy it for what it is.
    This one did annoy the heck out of me though because stupidly, it was the first mission I tried after setting up the new skill tree on my Delta Toon and realizing after dying umpteen times..., that I didn't check my Traits, and that I "choose..., poorly" while doing the new tree...

https://youtu.be/xCUwQIn3GrU

:#
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited April 2016
    To put it in Spock's own terms of contempt for traipsing around in a previous era, after sneaking in using some sort of super-duper Treknobable camouflage the assassin reached under her bear-skin and threw a stone knife at the PotUP.

I have no doubt the room was under forcefield... and Trek has shown time and again such forcefields are permeable to transporters if you know their harmonic key. So you can still protect the place while issuing the security details of the big three and possibly all of the heads of state present that key.

If I were to extend the Romulans the respect they are due, probably everyone has slightly different keys so if one of the participants uses theirs to beam something in it'd stand out clearer than fingerprints.

Instead we get an assassination that would have looked dated last century here in the real world.

(I voted I enjoyed it some, because I don't let the schlock writing overwhelm a couple of fun space battles)
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I wonder who had the brilliant idea to insert an unskippable cutscene right when the gigant timegate is blowing up. If the explosion doesn't manage to kill you, the remaining Na'kuhl ships will. And you even get to watch it..

The dialogue at the beginning of the mission was enjoyable and the space action was interesting because of the Na'kuhl's unique abilities, but that's about it.

- So there's a conference - again. And an common enemy of ours tries to prevent it from taking place - again, achieving the exact opposite - again.
    - Assassins only shoot once, it's a law of nature. And future guns only have one bullet.
    - I can sweet talk the assassin into telling me her whole plan in a matter of seconds - some temporal agent.
    - Removing me from my present doesn't have any effect on my future's history.
    - I can cut through 29th century Na'kuhl ships like a hot knife through butter.
    - A whole battalion of Na'kuhl soldiers from the 29th century are no match for me and my glorious pack of four.
    - The Na'kuhl are incapable of defeating me, but a cutscene definitely can.

I would give the mission a 4/10 and I'm being generous.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Props to the OP just for the well-thought polling options!

As for the mission, I enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, but it was a good mission overall. Art was good, the dialogue was good, combat was fun. All in all, just an all-around solid episode, IMO.
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I felt it was alright, but really game play wise it was same as usual, lots of talking, space battle, ground battle. In the past with the original 5 episode story arcs each episode at least seemed to be different from each other.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,670 Arc User
    The mission started to get good towards the end, looking like it was just about to ramp up and start actually be really engaging. Then, we get sent back to our own time...

"See you next month!" in effect. :/

I'm not gonna re-run this episode for a ground set, and the weekly reward is rather meh now. A Spec point now that we have the Admiralty system (though, I'd have preferred a bump in PvE XP instead) isn't that great, and an upgrade with no rarity chance increase is only useful if I happen to take a low mark item to Epic before maxing the Mark.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    The map being buggy on 2 of the 3 plays I've done on it annoys me (after the general leaves, twice I got NPCs stuck behind a door). Other than that, though, the mission is decent. I like the story. I like the fights. It's a good mix of ground and space. I like the tie-in to the shows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    Decent story in and of itself, but I have a few problems with it.

The moment I saw the camera was focusing on drinks being served, I knew someone was about to be poisoned, but that's forgivable. However, immediately after the Klingon begins choking, nobody thought to grab the person delivering the drinks? Even if she wasn't ultimately responsible the drinks should have been taken to be analyzed and the server questioned on who else could have handled them. She was just walking to the door, and the fact she wasn't reacting to the Klingon choking and falling over is beyond suspicious even before she pulls a gun. And why bother with the gun? If she wasn't being immediately suspected, she could have walked out and set up another scenario to kill another leader later, especially since she was so sure of her ability to bypass security. Why not smuggle in a bomb and kill everyone in the room, rather than taking them out piecemeal?

Maybe this is just a first impression and when I play through it again I'll feel differently, but having the assassin tell me she can endure all forms of torture and she'll tell me nothing, then spill pretty much everything within a few minutes because I chose the [Diplomacy] options felt weak. It should take a little more effort than that for someone who's being resistant, otherwise the assassin should have been shown as being a bit less sure of herself (Cold Comfort had a decent example of this). I'm not saying the player should have needed to torture the assassin, but if we're going to get any reasonable information from her there should be some sort of implied passing of time during which she's being questioned. Alternatively, she doesn't need to answer anything because Walker shows up and tells us the information we need because this is basically all he's been working on recently, letting us keep the stoic assassin bit.

And as mentioned above, cutscene essentially killed me so I had to wait for respawn.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
    valoreah wrote: »
    I liked the mission. Curious to see if we'll somehow be teamed up with Captain Jonathan Archer in a future episode.

If not I'd vote for the bit of dialogue to be the lamest forced show recognition snippet in the game to date pig-2.gif When I read that Jonathan Archer is somehow involved before I played the mission I was actually wondering if they had Bakula voice acting. When I got to the part that it's a simple throwaway line to force the connection to ENT I thought to myself "Really? That's it?"​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,670 Arc User
    I liked the mission. Curious to see if we'll somehow be teamed up with Captain Jonathan Archer in a future episode.

I'm not sure just plopping Bakula in front of a mic with lines to read, which seems to be Cryptic's way of doing VO, would be a good idea. See Star Trek Legacy. Phoned in like mad.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I found most of the space mission somewhat interesting. The ground on the other hand...umm...yeah, WTF. The interigation sequence was just dumb, and the combat in the ship was even more stupid as the BOFF AI would make it so they would refuse to leave the starting room so you had to solo the whole damn thing...which basically means killing a mook while getting swarmed and killed until enough critters gets killed that you can survive long enough to actually progress the mission. It's the bloody kremin ground fight in the previous FE where your boffs would spawn outside the bloody auditorium so you had to solo them until you died...but at least you got them back after one death...this one, they are basically not there for that whole part.

Have you tried to restart the mission? I had no problems with my BOFFs in the mission, so it's not a permanent state I'd guess.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Personally I quite enjoyed it - the interrogation sequence allowed for some acceptably Klingon threatening, although it would have been nice to have the more heavy-handed options seen in earlier episodes.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I, for one, am a little tired of the 'interrupted conference' scenario.

'Second Wave' - conference at DS9, interrputed by idiot Dominion fleet who can't tell the time.

'Surface Tension' - big conference on the Jenolan sphere. Cut short by Undine attack on ESD.

'Time & Tide' - conference interrupted by Noye.

'Temporal Front' conference interrupted by a later overly- talkative Na'Kul.

You'd think they'd have learnt by now.
    Yeah, the "diplomatic event gets attacked" -plot is like shuttle crashes and holodeck malfunctions on TV. As soon as the player is invited to one, you know there's going to be an attack.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

I don't care about your special snowflake-ness beyond

oh look an insult. shall i report it?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I had a thought - the Na'kuhl are crazy, but not stupid -they're attacking the Alliance after the Iconian War, when it would be much easier to hit something like, say, the first Battle of New Romulus against the Elachi (I think right now, it's the first time since the Dominion War Starfleet, KDF, and Romulan ships were all actively fighting together for the same objective).

Honestly, Starfleet and Republic captains end up there, let's throw the KDF's perspective in for that battle. :)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    tom61sto wrote: »
    I'm not sure just plopping Bakula in front of a mic with lines to read, which seems to be Cryptic's way of doing VO, would be a good idea. See Star Trek Legacy. Phoned in like mad.

Well, if you believe what's on his Wikipedia page, Scott Bakula has already done VO for STO. We just haven't heard it yet. :)

I wonder how long it will be before someone removes that? Long enough for him to actually appear in STO so it becomes true retroactively?
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 829 Arc User
    I hope the last episode ends all this temporal misery. And we get a new story arc 5.5.
    There is a lot thing what i want to do instead of playing a time cop. F.e. visit Cardassia and Ferenginar, join another worlds to the Romulan Republic or save Donatra.
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Props to the OP just for the well-thought polling options!

Thank you. I'm enjoying being able to see a curve developing as more people contribute. Over 70 votes as of this post.