test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread for Skill Revamp (v2.0!)

Comments

• Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    samt1996 wrote: »
    The phaser proc was affected by subspace decompiler at launch but that was changed because it was extremely powerful in PVP. I'm hoping he can find a way to work that back in now.

Well it seems like the normal "1 system offline" phaser proc will be affected by/resisted with Drain Expertise. Hopefully the Agony Phasers will get duration increased/decreased by Control Expertise. Otherwise it seems damn strange a weapon that regularly disables has no offensive use for Control Expertise... the skill that improves disables.

Explain THAT to a "new player" :/.

There alot of consoles and abilities which should gain some sort of buff from skills. Like all plasma dots should get a burn per tick buff, from exotic particle gens. All phasers procs should be buffed by drain and given longer subsystem downs. Chroniton should be buffed by control etc.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The proc on Agony Phasers is very different from the standard Phaser proc. If I'm reading things correctly it's almost the definition of a Control Expertise effect. It just doesn't seem to actually be linked to control expertise (or... anything... really).
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Chroniton IS buffed by control... it extends the length of the debuff.
  • Options
    eclipsoreclipsor Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Im concerned that a lot of offensive or defensive space sets and consoles will now work twofold; for instance, I have an assimilated module mounted on my ship; as it is now on holodeck, it provides me with an useless bonus to graviton generators (my build simply does not use skills related) but on tribble, it now provides me with some control resistance.

I think that unifying resistance to control and buff to control effects, as well as and drain effectiveness/drain resistance to their respective skills is ok; but equipment should still be split between resistive and buffing.

If skillpoints spent in skilltree affected both resistance and effectiveness, denoted as separate values - e.g. Control expertise: +x to control effectiveness, +x to control resistance, then the equipment that currently does one thing will be able to still do that one thing - in case of the aforementioned assimilated module, +y to control effectiveness (instead of y boosting both effectiveness and resistance to the effects).

Halving the stats wont be a solution because that would pretty much be a nerf to everything.

On the other hand, I can see this opening some more options for shipbuilding (since pretty much most of equipment provides bonuses that it doesnt on holodeck) so maybe this was intended?
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    eclipsor wrote: »
    Im concerned that a lot of offensive or defensive space sets and consoles will now work twofold; for instance, I have an assimilated module mounted on my ship; as it is now on holodeck, it provides me with an useless bonus to graviton generators (my build simply does not use skills related) but on tribble, it now provides me with some control resistance.

I think that unifying resistance to control and buff to control effects, as well as and drain effectiveness/drain resistance to their respective skills is ok; but equipment should still be split between resistive and buffing.

If skillpoints spent in skilltree affected both resistance and effectiveness, denoted as separate values - e.g. Control expertise: +x to control effectiveness, +x to control resistance, then the equipment that currently does one thing will be able to still do that one thing - in case of the aforementioned assimilated module, +y to control effectiveness (instead of y boosting both effectiveness and resistance to the effects).

Halving the stats wont be a solution because that would pretty much be a nerf to everything.

On the other hand, I can see this opening some more options for shipbuilding (since pretty much most of equipment provides bonuses that it doesnt on holodeck) so maybe this was intended?

I heard people mention this before, but I don't get why this is an issue for some people. The way I see it you are getting two for the price of one. So you don't have to invest separately into these skills. For PvE this great, but I can see how it might annoy people who PvP more. But PvP is a pretty small crowd.
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Well I'll start off and its kind of both yay and nay.
    Here's the numbers I ran with all my basic buffs and traits running on holodeck and tribble.

Holodeck
    409 Particle Generator

DRB3: 3667.4
    TBR2: 3523
    GW1: 1433.9
    SV1: 2768.1

Tribble
    410 Particle Generator

DRB3: 2197.6
    TBR2: 2446.3
    GW1: 1842.3
    SV1: 3556.5

As you can see, Subspace Vortex and Gravity well are performing quite admirably, while Tractor Beam Repulsors and Destabilizing Resonance beam are still hurting big time.

I am guessing that you are a 1 percenter in the pvp group? I hope so, because Tractor beam repulsors have no business in PVE besides trolling people.

I am happy with the changes. GW and SV are the two main DPS abilities and they should be improved.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    primar13 wrote: »
    primar13 wrote: »
    Am I correct to assume that it is Checking Every 1 Second, but only Applying Every 2 Seconds?
    When before it was Checking AND Applying Every 2 Seconds, which greatly diminished the amount of Procs.

Am I understanding this right?

Nope!

It checks every 1sec. If you are damaged within that 1sec timeframe, it rolls its 20% chance to proc. If that chance is successful, it applies a stack of the triggered effect. If it is not successful, it won't check again until the next 1sec timeframe arrives.

Okay, then the Tooltip could use an update. As it still say 2 Seconds, which caused my confusion. :smile:

Bjros55.jpg

Completely unrelated, but Fleet Support III doesn't have a Tooltip.
    AmPSwKz.jpg

I see a growing problem. People like this person who think it is a good idea to run 8 beams. Sorry, it is not a good idea. Run one Neutronic Torpedo up there with a spread II or III and watch your dps parser climb, instead of tank your weapon power. Even with leech and FC's, you are tanking your weapon power but I do not even see a leech on that build.

lol
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Here's the numbers I ran with all my basic buffs and traits running on holodeck and tribble.

Holodeck
    409 Particle Generator

Tribble
    410 Particle Generator

As you can see, Subspace Vortex and Gravity well are performing quite admirably, while Tractor Beam Repulsors and Destabilizing Resonance beam are still hurting big time.

I am guessing that you are a 1 percenter in the pvp group? I hope so, because Tractor beam repulsors have no business in PVE besides trolling people.

I am happy with the changes. GW and SV are the two main DPS abilities and they should be improved.

Excuse me? Clearly you know nothing about flying science ships in PvE.

For the record, I never even touch PvP these days, waaay to broken.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

Holodeck
    409 Particle Generator

Tribble
    410 Particle Generator

You obviously have no idea how to use TBR correctly. Not a single person has called me a troll and i use non-doffed TBR regularly in PvEs.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    This really isn't the place to be critiquing one another's builds, guys...
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    skilltrees_by_marhawkman-d9tvyda.png
    If the skill tree was flipped sideways so it's horizontal instead of vertical, it would be much easier to fit in text labels. Plus, I'd be able to fit more of the skill tree on my screen at a time. When it's just icons, I am rarely able to remember what they represent unless I use them constantly like abilities.​​
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @borticuscryptic

I noticed a tooltip error in the "Energy Weapon Training" in the Lieutenant tier. When I mouse over the icon for Energy Weapon Training, it tells me that this skill increases the base damage of most Mine and Torpedo Weapons.

It says the exact same thing under the "Projectile Weapon Training". Not sure if you were aware of this or not.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    genemorph wrote: »
    eclipsor wrote: »

I heard people mention this before, but I don't get why this is an issue for some people. The way I see it you are getting two for the price of one. So you don't have to invest separately into these skills. For PvE this great, but I can see how it might annoy people who PvP more. But PvP is a pretty small crowd.
    It still requires spending skill points into it, and if you don't use the crowd control skills yourself, you still get only "half" out of it than someone that uses it. Currently on Holodeck, many resist skills are also much lower tier than the buffs (Subspace Decompilers is the most extreme example), so it was never that hard to harden yourself, and often more expensive to get through those buffs.
    The cheap availability of shield drain resistance was probably quite critical in killing Charged Particle Burst/Tachyon Beam builds for PvP. (Many years ago, mind you. Only the older among us still remember the days of the CPB/TB/PSW/Tri-Cobalt Bombers)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2016

In PvE it used to be very useful for pushing ships away in the No Win Scenario.

Now a days, it is very useful in PvE with the pull doff as a kind of science FAW and it works very well.

Now lets get back on topic, skill system bugs.
    Post edited by lucho80 on
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Yeah, I still see it as a non-issue. You don't need resists at low level, and by the time you get to high level, this system means you're not penalized with less for taking a higher rank skill like the old one did.

Merging these skills was one of the best calls made in this revamp. I never took the drain/control resist skills, there just weren't enough points to go around with how little impact those skills had in PVE.
  • Options
    crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    lucho80 wrote: »

In PvE it used to be very useful for pushing ships away in the No Win Scenario.

Now a days, it is very useful in PvE with the pull doff as a kind of science FAW and it works very well.

Now lets get back on topic, skill system bugs.

Yes. Let us break things. For Science!
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    ive just copied my sci char to tribble. with 510 partgen all exotic dmg abilities (tbr, integrity collapse, resobeam) got nerfed around 50%. am pretty upset with this nerf as it renders sci as a dmg dealer useless.

Check your traits. They are turning off when you respec. You are probably not getting your exotic buffs.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    The queues on Tribble are still not working despite the last fix.
  • Options
    colonelsanderzcolonelsanderz Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    1. Finding with the same Aux Pwr settings, total shield and Hull HP is down about .5% on Tribble vs Holodeck
    2. Energy Resists are down .4% on Tribble vs Holodeck
    3. Iconian Deflector SciCDR ability still nerfed at 5% vs 10% on Holodeck

Still think that a Skills Loadout system would be an awesome implementation... even if you limit it to ONLY two skill loadouts per character.
    ?
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    1. Finding with the same Aux Pwr settings, total shield and Hull HP is down about .5% on Tribble vs Holodeck
    2. Energy Resists are down .4% on Tribble vs Holodeck
    3. Iconian Deflector SciCDR ability still nerfed at 5% vs 10% on Holodeck

Still think that a Skills Loadout system would be an awesome implementation... even if you limit it to ONLY two skill loadouts per character.

1 and 2 are expected, and frankly, only half a percent loss is pretty good.

• Options
    colonelsanderzcolonelsanderz Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    1 and 2 are expected, and frankly, only half a percent loss is pretty good.

Wasnt complaining, just informing lucho... :smiley:

?
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I am sorry, is Tribble down at the moment??
    I am getting errors while "purchasing" skill points on respec.

Never mind, I shut the program down and brought it back up those errors disappeared (for now??).
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    My Engineer is based around Hull repair and Hull healing. It feels like the main skills I use got split up without any noticeable consolidation that has much if any impact for my builds::::: <snip>:::::But hull regeneration is a lot lower and I am fully speced into the hull skills and hull gear.

I, too, am having some issues getting equal in Hull and Hull Regen on Tribble, as I had most of my characters in some combination of 9 or 6 in Starship Hull Repair AND Structural Integrity on Holodeck.

At least, it can not be done without completely wiping all the points out of Science or Tactical sections of the tree (this really messes with the number of BOFF manuals I have access to, too).

Having similar headaches with flight speed and turn rate not matching what I had on Holodeck. Why is Engineering part of the tree being so difficult?

I will have to re-learn how to fly my ship....but...I am just going to scrap trying to match Holodeck, to preserve my sanity. I am not really focused on anything in particular, like some of the more advanced "ship builders".

Eureka!! Took a few more respecs....but I got my character on Tribble to come really close to my Holodeck one. :)

Post edited by where2r1 on

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    On the topic of broken things, @borticuscryptic the trait from the Tarantula "Energy Web" produces a hold (aka super disable).

Currently this trait is functioning like Ionic Turbulence- and the Viral Torpedo trait (from the Benthan ship) did at Delta Rising launch - IE: It's boosted by the relevant skills, but cannot be resisted, and punches through the relevant immunities like they aren't there. IT and VT had those characteristics before being fixed something like six months after delta rising went live. I'd really rather not wait six months to see this trait fixed.

On tribble, this proves to be particularly egrarious, as the duration can be ramped up by control expertise. I'm seeing players get upwards of 11 seconds on the hold, regardless of the target's control expertise score. This does suggest that it is unresistable, which is hilariously out of bounds for trait effectiveness.

As Viral Torpedo was nerfed into uselessness, can we expect some sort of balance pass on this trait before the skill change goes live?

Hell, a balance pass on viral torpedo would be nice, on holodeck right now it barely functions, with boosted control resist on tribble, It stands to lose all functionality.
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Currently the driver coil skill can get boosted by engines and so you can have more power at full impulse. But on tribble you get 25 power in other subsytems if you spec into impluse shunt and without being able to boost that anymore it will take longer for your power to return to normal.

Edit:
    Also Dyson core, assimilated engines both say based on driver coil skill in description.

With no skill points in impulse expertise i was at 10.45 warp in sector space with 3 points into it i dropped to 10.44 for some reason.
  • Options
    This just comes back to my previous statement that as many things in the game as possible should be modified by some skill. Static numbers become obsolete very quickly.

By the way Bort, while I'm thrilled the Phaser proc is useful again I have to ask why it's modified by drain rather than control? Technically I understand this is because it's a subsystem offline but there are three weapon types boosted by drain skill now... also could you remove the lockout penalty? It is really uneccesary with how easily resisted offlines are now. Iconian shield, Iconian warp core, adapted MACO engines and Quantum Phase console and you are literally immune to them.

A simple investment in drain skill effectively cuts all those weapons and powers to half usefulness which is going to make a lot of people invest in it.
  • Options
    Perhaps the drain/control resistance should be 75% per 100 points? At current payout even small investments effectively neuter a lot of builds.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Perhaps the drain/control resistance should be 75% per 100 points? At current payout even small investments effectively neuter a lot of builds.

Maybe if we had 49 instead of 46 points a point per level. Because resistance like that is very useful to tanks but currently there are so many tank skill slots and that we are forced to put 15 into tactical to get more threat. Which putting that much in tactical is already good for adding threat...

I still think the power unlocks in engineering need to be replaced. They are just boring choices. +1 or 2 turn rate would be more interesting, vs + 5 inertia or 20% impulse speed. At 20 +2 to all power levels vs weapon power drain resistance -10% or 50% power transfer.
    Post edited by cryptkeeper0 on
  • Options
    I am still not happy with the position of that "Purchase" button on the Skill Tree window.

I think the "Retrain Skills" button is in the way. And I still activate those "ULTIMATE SELECTION" menus when trying to hit "Purchase". I would rather leave that section of the window expanded when doing a respec.

Flip flop the position of those two buttons at the bottom. "Retrain Skills" button looks wide enough to push the "Purchase" button away from the corner to get it out from under the "Ultimate Selection" area. And "Retrain Skill" button will be out of the way.

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

I am guessing you don't play much? I hope so, because Tractor beam repulsors, with the Reverse doff, are a great thing for exotic builds. Typically, I use an 'aft' based setup with it: R-TBR, and (since you're moving forward), foes tend to trail up behind you, where you PEP the living cr*p out of them.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.