test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread for Skill Revamp (v2.0!)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    while yes they have true diminishing returns they also Make your Hull or shields effectively have more HP. SO every percentage does a lot...

Every percentage point does do a lot. Every point of resistance does not. They slope off to miniscule pretty swiftly.

I'm not describing this process as a negative thing. Diminishing returns are an essential tool to combat power creep in evolving systems - they let you establish the ultimate limit you want to deal with and then turn players loose to chase after it with ever less significant gains. The downside is they don't lend themselves to "What you see is what you get" numbers on the sheet for players to look at.
    It would be nice if there was a trait or something that gave damage bonus based on your current health. But not percentage Of your health. Just straight up tactical console type damage buff. Nothing too amazing just something to help make up for the fact you put so much into hull tanking.

It's an interesting cross-connect between values but most games favor tradeoffs between durability and damage rather than enabling you to crank up both :).
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I think the max limit for hull resistance is at 75 % damage reduction.

My mistake. You are correct: to a maximum of 75% mitigation. A more detailed description can be found here~

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_resistance
    Once we enter the realm of hull resistance debuffs, the math gets probably more complicated again. +200 %hit points work, but -100 % don't. How do you add or multiply these values?

If you use reciprocals it gets much easier to understand. A 100% improvement in performance is actually~

(1+1)/1 = 200% damage inflicted for damage
    1/(1+1) = 50% damage taken for mitigation

If you do 200% damage to a target that only takes 50% of the damage you're doing the advantages cancel out.

(1+1)/1 = 200% hit points for hull health

Likewise if you do 200% damage to a ship with 200% hp the time to kill it stays the same as 100% damage vs 100% hp (setting aside regeneration).
This discussion has been closed.