test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's the Samsar (and the Dyson Science Destroyer) All Over Again

ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
Well the new T6 Flagships have new Universal Consoles that are part of the Flagship Consoles Technology Set. And like the T6 Command Cruisers last year and the T5 Dysons from two years ago the fourth piece of the Console set comes from.... you guessed it... the Anniversary Ship. In this case the Krenim Science Ship, last year was the Samsar from the Anniversary, and the year before that the Dyson Science Destroyer Anniversary Ship. (Also the Anniversary Dyson Science Destroyer had the Core that granted the Four-Piece Space Set Bonus as well).

With the new philosophy of making the Event Ships very special items that are exclusive in nature, unless you ran the Anniversary or some Character on your Account ran it, it will forever be out of your reach. Now you have just enough time to do the Featured Episode and run the Omega Dailies to still get the Kremin Ship with a day to spare (unless you are one of those 20-hour folks). (And yes, in the case of the Dyson Science Destroyer, it was added to the Lobi Store, being the ONLY Ship there that was bind-to-character on acquire in that Store). You could always pour a ton of Lobi into getting 2016 Qmendations, or you could have been one of the lucky Veterans that were sent a code that would give you the T6 Valiant, up to 10 Specialization Points, and 400 Qmendations.

So if you are intrigued or maybe partially interested in that Four-Piece Console Set Bonus, get out there and get cracking, if you you were staying away from the Anniversary. This way, like with the removal of the Dilitium Weekend Bonus from turning in Elite Marks for Dilitium, you too can feel special all year.

Disclaimer: I have all this stuff (well not the T6 Flagship Bundle), and will unlock the Krenim tomorrow.
'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
Judge Dan Haywood
'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
l don't know.
l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
Lt. Philip J. Minns

Comments

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Event rewards are just that. Rewards for participating in the event. If you didn't do the event for one reason or another, your loss.

Personally, if you're sticking around the game, it helps to chase the free stuff even if you have no immediate interest in it. Because down the road, you may want to try something different, and that event reward could have helped push that build over the edge. If you got that reward "just to be safe," cool, if you didn't because it didn't interest you at the time and now you want it, "Too bad, so sad."

The Nandi, Krenim Science Vessel are good, free T6 ships. I'd be TRIBBLE to skip them.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,528 Arc User
    If Cryptic wants to make event ships limited-time exclusives but then make the consoles part of sets they need to start putting at least the consoles into the Lobi store. Same with other items like the Breen space set.

I have all 4 Breen ships and the Samsar, but newer players might only have the last Breen with no way to get the warp core, etc.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    except the breen core is available in the winter store and thus not a one-time-only item...yet​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    No loss for me. I have all the stuff. I was pointing out that it is another case of making a complete Console Set from a ship that you need to get now or never. We have been through these discussions already when they announced the new 'now or never' for Event ships. But at this stage if you didn't care about the ship, but may be about the Console set you have to move now. Timing in announcing this set and the Bonus is right down to the wire.

I never pass up free stuff.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    except the breen core is available in the winter store and thus not a one-time-only item...yet​​
    My bad, I just unpacked the carrier on a new alt last night and the core was in the box. They would have no way to get the consoles from the other 3 ships though.

• Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    No loss for me. I have all the stuff. I was pointing out that it is another case of making a complete Console Set from a ship that you need to get now or never. PERIOD. We have been through these discussions already when they announced the new 'now or never' for Event ships. But at this stage if you didn't care about the ship, but may be about the Console set you have to move now. PERIOD. Timing in announcing this set and the Bonus is right down to the wire.

I'm actually backing up what you were saying. I got no sympathy for anyone that was around but ignored the rewards then later cries that they don't have access to them. There were a bunch of people ragging on the Samsar that it sucked, but then when the event ended and it became obvious that parts of that event ship were required for 2 different sets, then their sweet tears were a joy to see flow. For the ones that come later, well, "You weren't there" is all I have to say :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    For the ones that come later, well, "You weren't there" is all I have to say

I can understand thinking that for the ship, but to tie C-Store ships to a console new players have no way to get is . . . unkind.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I started playing STO right before the 2014 Anniversary Event. Even though I have only used the DSD for my KDF and RR Sci captains, and the Breen carrier for my RR Sci captain, I make it a point to participate in the event just in case... You never know what may happen like the Admiralty system where I have Admiralty Cards of those ships.

Also, for players who do not want to spent real money to buy Zen, events are the best way to get free T6 starships. Sure it may not be a ship that fits the captain's class or it may not appeal to everyone's tastes, but hey... they are free as long as people are willing to put in a few minutes to do the daily events for the required vouchers.
  • Options
    I'm actually backing up what you were saying. I got no sympathy for anyone that was around but ignored the rewards then later cries that they don't have access to them. There were a bunch of people ragging on the Samsar that it sucked, but then when the event ended and it became obvious that parts of that event ship were required for 2 different sets, then their sweet tears were a joy to see flow. For the ones that come later, well, "You weren't there" is all I have to say :D

OK, sorry. I saw you had edited your post with the extra paragraph after I responded. Last night on my current character (and the only character that has) I did the final run-through of 'Midnight', so I have all the special Rewards from every Mission. Well that is not strictly true, as I didn't pick up the Kobali Uniform (but could have) as I was unaware that the Uniform was being pulled from that FE as it wasn't announced in the Blog but in the middle of a multi-multi-multi response Thread. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options

I can understand thinking that for the ship, but to tie C-Store ships to a console new players have no way to get is . . . unkind.

STO is not the only game out there that has special events where rewards are only for those that were there. STO is no different.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options

STO is not the only game out there that has special events where rewards are only for those that were there. STO is no different.

Yes, but not being able to get a special pet later is different from (say) not being able to get piece #5 of a 5-piece armor set that is sold by the company.

"Helm of fire? Nope, that was in the saddlebag of the ice pony we gave out Winter 2013" -- after you spend 1,000 zen on the "fire armor set (4 items)" which has a 5-piece set bonus.

• Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    I'm glad I actually know what I'm doing for this Anniversary event, because I can get the Krenim Science Vessel. I'm still frustrated as hell though about the past event ships being "retired". I started playing this game about halfway through last year's anniversary event, and I didn't know until like 6-7 months later when I bought the CBCs that I needed the console from that ship.

Being new to the game, I had no idea what the Samsar was, how to obtain it, or even what it did, and I was honestly more focused on trying to figure out the game than I was on getting new ships. Now I'm shooting myself in the foot because my past self didn't realize the importance of the Samsar's console. It didn't help that I also didn't know the past event ships were being retired permanently starting with the summer event that year. Not only did I skip the Samsar because I was a confused new player, but it looks as if I missed out on it entirely due to after-the-fact warnings/notices given to the playerbase.

I also wanted the Breen ships, and was fully prepared to run that ice race thing 4 times a day on 4 different characters to get all of the Breen ships I missed until those too were "retired". If they're not going to make the ships available on the C-Store/Lobi Store for the people like me that missed one or more events, at least add the consoles for the same price as the other Lobi consoles. That would be a fair compromise, I think, though giving us all a chance to earn those ships we missed would be the best solution in my eyes.
  • Options

The issue is not that these rewards are limited-time deals, it's that those limited-time rewards are being tied to other things that will be available for purchase until this game goes bye-bye. While one set of ships has an unlimited supply for an indefinite amount of time, the other was only available for one month out of a specific year and then gone for good. There's no way around a lockout like this and to be honest the lockout is unnecessary to begin with. It seems like a waste to put effort into building and designing these ships to only have be available for a month or so and then take them away.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My understanding is that 3 and 4 piece console only set bonuses are typically gimmicky and underpowered compared to what can be achieved with other set-ups, so I don't really see the big deal tbh.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    My understanding is that 3 and 4 piece console only set bonuses are typically gimmicky and underpowered compared to what can be achieved with other set-ups, so I don't really see the big deal tbh.
    I wouldn't say that's the case for the CBC 4-piece set. It provides you with a 33% boost to all energy weapon damage, allows you to spawn two defense platforms, gives your fleet support platform a hull HoT effect, and doubles the range of your tachyon pulse platforms.

The 4-piece for these faction flagships is pretty lackluster, but you really get screwed out of a lot without the 4-piece set bonus on the CBCs. It basically doubles the effectiveness of your command platforms and gives you a hefty damage bonus at the same time.

• Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User

It is neither good business sense nor nice to design around schadenfreude.

I, for one, would be more than happy to see the event ships reasonably available on an ongoing basis, even if it only applied to the ones I already have and not the ones I missed (I was away from the game for a couple years). I enjoy telling people that cool, useful stuff (like the Obelisk core for touring, or the Romulan Imperial Navy ground set) is readily available and seeing their happiness. It would be nice to be able to do more of that.

And, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some players who are passing up the various C-store ships because they'll never be able to complete a set due to event exclusivity. That's lost revenue. Cryptic/PWE should at least care about that.
  • Options
    Well for one this Console Set seems to grant Passives at the 2, 3, and four Console levels. Correct me if I am wrong but don't people always prefer Passives over a two minute clicky power?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well for one this Console Set seems to grant Passives at the 2, 3, and four Console levels. Correct me if I am wrong but don't people always prefer Passives over a two minute clicky power?

Min-maxers with their Antiproton set and BFAW do.

Some of us want to try different builds, different powers, different consoles even if they won't get us to the top of the DPS leagues. Most of my captains have a torpedo even though it hurts DPS.
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    alphahydri wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's the case for the CBC 4-piece set. It provides you with a 33% boost to all energy weapon damage, allows you to spawn two defense platforms, gives your fleet support platform a hull HoT effect, and doubles the range of your tachyon pulse platforms.

The 4-piece for these faction flagships is pretty lackluster, but you really get screwed out of a lot without the 4-piece set bonus on the CBCs. It basically doubles the effectiveness of your command platforms and gives you a hefty damage bonus at the same time.

Yep.. I was one of those people that bought a CBC set and was really enjoying the platforms. Thought it was an awesome ability dropping repair and defense turrets. Finally got around to checking and was surprised to see a 4th platform and wow look at the abilities it gives you!!! Oh.. it's only available from a ship I missed by 3 months?

The rage... stripped all the platforms off and never looked at em again. Thanks for the 3 worthless consoles cryptic
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    i remember back when the Dyson Science Destroyer was released. Shortly after the announcement it was said that the bundles would be going to the c-store. It stated in the blog that in order to get the full set you needed the ship from the grind as well. I knew that from the reading the blogs, so knew it going in to getting the free ship. People all over the forums and in chat said they won't bother grinding it as they will just purchase it from the store. I told them both in chat and here in the forums that you had to do both.

I was told I didn't know what I was talking about.

When it hit and they could not complete the set The forums burned and I played a fiddle.

Since then it is standard to do a four piece tied to an anniversary ship, and I no longer try to get the word out.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Well, there should be no surprise here. I and others predicted that the next C-Store release would be a 9-Pack that used gear from the Event Ship in its set bonuses. 3 years in a row, people...

Only part I got wrong, I predicted the 9-pack would be more science oriented.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Folks stop crying an start playing instead of posting bazillion times in the forum. End of problem. If you took the time you spent shifting through the forums and then posting things and used that time to actually play the game you wouldn't be in the situation you are in. So buck it up butter cup you wasted game time posting instead of playing and earning the ship and gear. I actually PLAY the game and do the daily requirement to get the goodies and guess what I have every event ship and console including the current one. And if get your rear in gear you have time still with the unreal 400 bonus credit thing. That's pretty much handing you the ship. You have 18 days at 40 a day thats 720 points plus the 400 so 1320 points 320 more then you need so stop posting get playing.
    Post edited by ssbn655 on
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Taking the time to go through the forums to complain that people take the time to go through the forums.....oh and you spelled daily wrong.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    Mr. ssbn655, I do hope your wrath was not directed at me. I play the game and have it all. Did I ever imply I was in the situation you indicated? No. Not at all. In fact, I placed a disclaimer that I had no problems and would be getting the ship tomorrow - right on schedule. So please do not direct your invective generally. Be specific. This is not a Kindergarten, where the teacher has all the children put their heads down on the desk because someone shot a spit ball across the room.

And that Buttercup reference, thanks for brightening up my day, reminding me of that scene in 'The Three Amigos'. One of a plethora of funny scenes in that movie. My hat is off to you good sir.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Folks stop crying an start playing instead of posting bazillion times in the forum. End of problem. If you took the time you spent shifting through the forums and then posting things and used that time to actually play the game you wouldn't be in the situation you are in. So buck it up butter cup you wasted game time posting instead of playing and earning the ship and gear. I actually PLAY the game and do the dailey requirement to get the goodies and guess what I have every event ship and console including the current one. And if get your rear in gear you have time still with the unreal 400 bonus credit thing. That's pretty much handing you the ship. You have 18 days at 40 a day thats 720 points plus the 400 so 1320 points 320 more then you need so stop posting get playing.

Your advice is not helpful to anyone who starts playing the game next month. Or who needs the Samsar console. Or who joined in December, got this Winter's ship but can never get the Breen frigates for their hangar.
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Folks stop crying an start playing instead of posting bazillion times in the forum. End of problem. If you took the time you spent shifting through the forums and then posting things and used that time to actually play the game you wouldn't be in the situation you are in. So buck it up butter cup you wasted game time posting instead of playing and earning the ship and gear. I actually PLAY the game and do the dailey requirement to get the goodies and guess what I have every event ship and console including the current one. And if get your rear in gear you have time still with the unreal 400 bonus credit thing. That's pretty much handing you the ship. You have 18 days at 40 a day thats 720 points plus the 400 so 1320 points 320 more then you need so stop posting get playing.

On that note, it should be the next 3-4 days where the guys start getting the ship completely for free if they started Day 1 of the event.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,070 Community Moderator
    On that note, it should be the next 3-4 days where the guys start getting the ship completely for free if they started Day 1 of the event.

I should have mine in 2, and I've been doing the daily every day except for day 1 because of bugged locations.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

I should have mine in 2, and I've been doing the daily every day except for day 1 because of bugged locations.

One of my fleetemates has alarms set to remind him right on the 20 hour mark to do it :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    i missed day 1 too, but i'm still getting mine tomorrow​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I've had my Krenim for a week now lol that torp and Console are nice
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png