13»

Comments

• grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    agnostic4 wrote: »
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    How nice is this, Cryptic finally make an T6 version of all tree Flagships, Just bought those darn ships when they hit Holodeck as a T5, After that a T5-U where you had with one off them lay down 700 zen to get it T5-U. Now they bring out the T6 and let me guess another 3000 to 6000 Zen ?
    Are we in anyway compensated those who bought the pack once it came out ?
    Maybe a thousand zen less for those who bought the packs from day one ... ???? He Just asking ???

If you buy a Car/Stereo/TV/whatever when it is released you get exactly what you pay for and also get the pleasure of feeling like one of the few that did/do own it. When the 'New' Model is released, how many times have you went back to the store or dealership and said, "I bought this two years ago, I'm keeping the old one, but you need to give me a discount on the new one". They would laugh at you.

The amount of work that went into the new model is the same or close to the amount that went into the model you purchased and at that time it was the best they could offer. You enjoyed/enjoy the one you currently have and only your own perception defines if the very presence of the new model even existing will in some way diminish the amount of enjoyment you still can get out of owning the model you did purchase.

The money you paid was for the old model and that is still a very competitive model.

I purchased the Odyssey pack on release, but that in no way entitles me for a discount on the new model and my 'old' Odysseys are in no way 'lesser' because a new, shinier model is being released.

And just hold right here, I'm selling cars and yes if a company or a person comes every two years buying a car from me, whether he keeps the old one or not I give him or her or company a discount on the buying price this way he tells someone else and that company and person comes along buying stuff from me and if I give him a little less on the price he will make a mouth to mouth commercial for me this way my business can keep going and I even make an profit so what you say is not all true, because if I follow strict rules my garage wouldn't survive between all the big ones.... And for the other posts I read it's not with the single ships that's overhauled if you read my post right you saw I mentioned ship packs !!!

The car dealership system is ALL sorts of crooked. What you basically do is give one person a discount...which isn't even a discount, it's just less then you want to rip them off for in hopes to get other suckers...at BEST. Or you do sell at a discount but give them 1/4 or less what their trade in is worth to make up the difference. And then there is the finance points game. Add in factory rebates that you get for selling a car that you may "forget" to tell the customer. You seriously want STO to run like car dealerships? Since you do this for a living, I know the answer.

Well I'm curious now, and no I don't want them to run as a dealership. And it sounds like you have been ripped off by someone... All I can say I repair cars and sell some new cars but not factory new. mostly 1 or 2 years old... and yes some dealerships or actual most off them are trying to sell as much cars as possible and as in every system most people walk into their paths once they sit in that chair with coffee they already sold you the car... But actual not a bad idea if you could sell ships you don't want anymore !!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
    azrael605 wrote: »
    nepsthen wrote: »
    agnostic4 wrote: »
    If you buy a Car/Stereo/TV/whatever when it is released you get exactly what you pay for and also get the pleasure of feeling like one of the few that did/do own it. When the 'New' Model is released, how many times have you went back to the store or dealership and said, "I bought this two years ago, I'm keeping the old one, but you need to give me a discount on the new one". They would laugh at you.

Poor analogy. If you were in the habit of buying a car every two years from the same dealership, they would give you a discount. It's a guaranteed sale and the amount sold matters more than the value due to how commissions work. Even the "we don't offer discounts" dealerships have a bit of play in their final numbers that they can offer something better than to an irregular customer.

Digital goods, on the other hand, are more intangible and harder to put a true value on. People are willing to pay anywhere between $13.33 per ship for the nine pack to $30 for a single T6 ship, before zen sales, discounts, etc. Cryptic discounts ships often enough that you can get them for a better value if you have patience. The T5 owners should get a discount argument always comes up whenever they release a new version of an older ship.

I've been shopping at the same place for electronics for over a decade and I do not get any form of discount from them, my own brother who manages a local Gamestop won't even let me use his discount at the store. I have purchased multiple vehicles from the same dealership, even the same salesperson and he doesn't even remember my name.

Then I think you go to the wrong places.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
    edited February 2016
    The OP at least asked nicely, if you guys take a look at the comments on the announcement on Facebook it's pretty disgusting, here's a few examples:

Tim Hughes: Isn't this the exact kind of TRIBBLE you said you weren't going to do when you first announced T-6 ships? I've already bought the Scimitar and Odyssey bundles, and now, yay... I get to by them again...

James Yeoman: Of course you're excited, you are getting paid handsomely to flog the players rehashed ships instead of making new ones, at least upgrade players with the t5 variants for free, or even discounted -it would be less of an insult. I'm still annoyed about the t5 excelsior refit that I bought which firstly the transwarp ability was nerfed on, and now a t6 one is out which makes my one just that little bit more useless.

Sofi Cabrera: Agreed ever get the feeling they don't care what we think?? Talk about shooting themselves in the foot. smh

Matt Pereira: Thats why i quit playing a year ago. More grinds not enough xp for the causual players and my personal flagship a t5 dreadnought is now not top of the line anymore unless i want to buy a new version.

Kelley Sims: their 3rd rate programmers cant figure out new content or designs, or how to keep up with mac os, so they resort to ships. give it a year, the t7 ships will be out, then everyone can re-TRIBBLE again.

And so on etc. etc.

My reply to them was as follows:

I am pig sick of the multitude of self entitled whiners commentating on this post. Cryptic have brought out another outstanding package of beautifully designed flagships with exciting new abilities, traits and consoles and half the people posting here expect them to be given away because they bought the previous version once! When you buy a new TV do you say to Amazon, hey guys I bought the old model so you should give me this one for free or at the very least should knock me 70% off!

Wake up whiners, this is a business, and if they don't make a profit then it will close and you won't even be flying your old ships let alone any new ones.

Nobody is forcing these ships on you, it's possible to finish all the content in this game in very low level ships, virtually nothing requires a T6 ship, in fact I will state that every mission and queue in this game can be successfully finished in a Tier 4 free ship.

Cryptic also often give away ships, the current anniversary ship for one, the winter and summer events for seconds, and these are fully functional T6 ships up there with the best of them.

Oh and there's the people that come on here stating that they gave up on the game years ago but somehow feel themselves drawn back to the FB page to slag off the game and anyone still enjoying it as if looking for vindication for their decision to leave.

It's simple, if you don't want it, don't buy it, if you don't like the game then don't play it, for those that are enjoying STO and will love the new ships, I'm right there with you and I will carry on supporting this game, this company and my fleet as long as I can.

First off we are not whining about it maybe they do on FB but I did not.... That said like to dress your next thing like I said before I have a bunch off useless ships sitting I could use for new chars but I won't so I would like something to sell all this so I can clean up a bit.... Alright last if you hate the tread so much why even bother to write so much commentary about us people you have no idea who they are. all you do is whining about whiners who doesn't whine just giving there thoughts on things and if you don't want to read it just skip the tread .... !!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I actually don't have a problem with paying for an upgrade of an older ship (although the T5->T5U pay-to-upgrade was still a rotten move on their part).

It's perpetuating the eng/tac/sci variants that's really bothering me. We already pay extra for T6. Having to pay even more extra for a few extra skin variations, a console gimmick set, and minor variations on layout is more than I care to keep up with. Hard to believe that people can afford to shell out $120 a few times a year on ships they'll fly a few times and then park.

But hey, I guess if you've got the cash to burn go for it. I want the flagship, but I don't need the flagship that bad.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    As far as I am concerned anyone who thinks they're getting those ships for free is only fooling themselves. MMORPG's are still business' that have bills to pay. This is where we run into trouble. If a person like me saves money over time to buy a ship, I get yelled at for "Supporting a broken system." What system is broken? Basic Economics? It's not hard to put money aside, you don't have to have everything right out of the gate.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned anyone who thinks they're getting those ships for free is only fooling themselves. MMORPG's are still business' that have bills to pay. This is where we run into trouble. If a person like me saves money over time to buy a ship, I get yelled at for "Supporting a broken system." What system is broken? Basic Economics? It's not hard to put money aside, you don't have to have everything right out of the gate.

People aren't talking about the system being "broken", we're discussing how unfair the pricing schedule is to those who've laid down cash to get previous tiers already. Save the sanctimonious and condescending economics lessons for someone who actually cares. We're not debating whether PWE/Cryptic is a business (at least I'm not, and I've stated that a few times) but rather the amounts they continue to gouge customers over newly introduced tiers. That said, I'm also in agreement that people don't have to buy the new ships- but it would definitely foster more sales and growth if they were to see some wisdom in offering discounts to customers for previously purchased tiers rather than the "up yours buddy" stance they seem to have taken with prices lately.

Disagree or not- people are discontented and will continue to be thus. For those who have argued "well I got screwed, so you should too" perhaps you should really think on this- it's a really selfish perspective to take, and continuation of that will only perpetuate you continuing to get screwed, too. While you might like the experience, many don't.

(inserts 2 EC)
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    narthais wrote: »
    Short answer; No.

Long answer; for crying out loud people wake up, this question has been asked since the pathfinder was revealed with the release of delta rising. The answer has not changed in all that time and yet people keep asking the same thing whenever another T6 remake of a T5 ship is released.

If they have never made a connection to the T5 flagships, yet kept the same stats, same models, same traits and consoles but didn't call them T6 oddys or T6 Borts and didn't do the extra work to make sure parts could be mixed and matched with the T5's... no one would even bat an eyelash, becuase clearly its a new ship. But becuase theres a connection to T5 ships "There MUST be a discount!"

Seriously, wake up.

So you're the mouth-piece for STO sales department....

It is appropriate to expect a single ship updated to T6 to be just another ship purchase (like buying the next overprices iPhone, but I don't go around buying every new version of the new iPhone). The bundles are a big investment and the start of upgrading them to T6 is also asking players to invest a lot more than the cost of a single ship. Anyone who bought a bundle or mega-bundle of a T5 ship should expect to see a discount for buying the same bundle or mega-bundle of the T6. Fair marketing also means not overcharging for more of the same (which they are under the skin).
    Another thing to think about for those who analogize this to "car sales" or whatever- the "investment" we're making in this game offers NO resale value whatsoever. At least when you buy a new car- you're able to trade it in for the next model up, etc.

I suppose for those using Mommy and Daddy's credit cards to purchase all they want, this isn't a huge deal- but some of us actually work for a living, pay bills and play this game as a welcome diversion to everyday life.

For those of you who agree with current pricing- by all means, continue to pay it. There's nothing to see for you here- if you think you're somehow "missing out" on discounts and so forth in the future, feel free to start your own thread instead of trying to hijack or derail this one.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

People aren't talking about the system being "broken", we're discussing how unfair the pricing schedule is to those who've laid down cash to get previous tiers already. Save the sanctimonious and condescending economics lessons for someone who actually cares. We're not debating whether PWE/Cryptic is a business (at least I'm not, and I've stated that a few times) but rather the amounts they continue to gouge customers over newly introduced tiers. That said, I'm also in agreement that people don't have to buy the new ships- but it would definitely foster more sales and growth if they were to see some wisdom in offering discounts to customers for previously purchased tiers rather than the "up yours buddy" stance they seem to have taken with prices lately.

Disagree or not- people are discontented and will continue to be thus. For those who have argued "well I got screwed, so you should too" perhaps you should really think on this- it's a really selfish perspective to take, and continuation of that will only perpetuate you continuing to get screwed, too. While you might like the experience, many don't.

(inserts 2 EC)

And guess what PWE/Cryptic is NOT the anomly. Throw a rock at a gaming company. THEY ARE ALL DOING THIS. So sitting here whining when the ENTIRE industry is doing this, is actually self entitled TRIBBLE.

Either get used to it, or get out of online MMOs, cause this is the future. I don't like it either, but whining about it does nothing.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    So you're the mouth-piece for STO sales department.....

Amusingly the first time I've been accused of that. I'm just saying what anyone that's paid attention to Cryptic's sales policies already knows.

To be blunt all the ships released are the same 'under the skin' there are minor stat differences but except for the specialty intel, command and pilot ships its only minor variations to everything else that's available. but each new ship has new consoles, traits and skins, all of which require time for design, coding, implementation and... ok we all know cryptic don't bugfix until after it hits holodeck so I'll skip that part. Cyrptics staff don't put in less effort on the ships upgraded from t5, hell in most cases there's more effort involved because the artists need to match additional hull parts to older versions, touch up the old versions in some cases such as the iconics and the coders need to do more work to set up set bonuses.

Just because they're tied to a lower tier ship doesn't mean less work is involved, cryptics costs still need to be covered, now the price point for that might be debatable but costing them less than 'all new ships' for the same amount or more work involved is nonsensical. As it is the bundles DO give a discount, get the megapack and you're effectively getting 3 ships free, a whole 1/3 off the price of each ship separately. Is it a lot of money? Sure, but its already discounted and as usual cryptic are offering early buying discounts on top of that for the weekend*. (*Not sure if thats been confirmed yet? It's part of their trends regardless so if it's not announced yet I expect it will be)
    talonxv wrote: »

(inserts 2 EC)

And guess what PWE/Cryptic is NOT the anomly. Throw a rock at a gaming company. THEY ARE ALL DOING THIS. So sitting here whining when the ENTIRE industry is doing this, is actually self entitled TRIBBLE.

Either get used to it, or get out of online MMOs, cause this is the future. I don't like it either, but whining about it does nothing.

And I disagree with ANY of them doing it. Call it whatever you will, people are discontented over the pricing and will continue to be so until it changes.

And as far as "getting out of online MMO's" how about, "I'll do whatever I wish to do."? Until you're paying my bills and dealing with my life- I'll continue to make my own choices, thanks.

I'll continue to speak my piece- and as I said before if you agree with the pricing, by all means KEEP PAYING.

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

(inserts 2 EC)

And I disagree with ANY of them doing it. Call it whatever you will, people are discontented over the pricing and will continue to be so until it changes.

And as far as "getting out of online MMO's" how about, "I'll do whatever I wish to do."? Until you're paying my bills and dealing with my life- I'll continue to make my own choices, thanks.

I'll continue to speak my piece- and as I said before if you agree with the pricing, by all means KEEP PAYING.

And you can keep whinging and stamping your feet like a 3 year old, still won't change anything. Just pointing out the reality of the situation. Best you can get is the discounts on launch they are doing ya know 5k zen instead of 6k for the 3 pack etc.

But this is here to stay, keep shouting at the rain all ya like, won't change TRIBBLE in the end. I've simply accepted reality.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    And you can keep whinging and stamping your feet like a 3 year old, still won't change anything. Just pointing out the reality of the situation. Best you can get is the discounts on launch they are doing ya know 5k zen instead of 6k for the 3 pack etc.

But this is here to stay, keep shouting at the rain all ya like, won't change TRIBBLE in the end. I've simply accepted reality.

If that's the case why are you still here? You've nothing to contribute this thread other than trying to silence people who have a right to speak their minds. They've invested money in this game the same as you and have equal right to their opinions.

• stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    When all is said and done Cryptic will market and sell items at a price the market will pay, if they didn't sell their products then we would see reductions in pricing or other incentives, the fact that we don't see those incentives or price reductions, other than an initial release sale, indicates that they either have the prices right or that they are willing to lose money. As the latter would result in the eventual demise of the company it is a fairly safe bet to assume the former is the predominant condition.

All true. But let's not forget... WE are the market. Or part of it, at any rate. As a customer I am telling Cryptic now that despite the fact that I actually want Flagships I am voting 'no' with my wallet, and why. If they don't want to factor that in to how they market ships, that is certainly their prerogative.

If people continue to support these triple-paste megapacks, Cryptic will keep producing them. If we say we don't like the fact that they're redundant and over-priced and continue to buy them, then shame on us. That would indeed be nothing but whining.

I totally get why they keep the layouts mostly the same across factions, and I support it up to a point. Making every single ship a unique snowflake is a lot of work. But the eng/tac/sci variants are overkill and I do not want to support that. I'm going to throw my money at other ships instead to encourage more of those.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Get cryptic to offer a discount on T6 versions of owned T5 ships and what you'll most likely see is a long stream of "new" ships which might have allowed cross-ship customization but didn't to avoid having to enter into this new linkage scheme. So, same price but fewer options. That doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Get cryptic to offer a discount on T6 versions of owned T5 ships and what you'll most likely see is a long stream of "new" ships which might have allowed cross-ship customization but didn't to avoid having to enter into this new linkage scheme. So, same price but fewer options. That doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

At least there'd be some predictability and knowledge of where the markup is going. These days, it's really difficult to tell when they're asking the price of a full AAA game for a few in-game goodies which have no resale value whatsoever.

As I've said before- if people enjoy paying it, there's no one stopping them from continuing to do so. No one's telling them NOT to open their wallets and pay out the bucks for whatever's being thrown at them. Then on the reverse side of things, we have them telling everyone else if you don't like the prices then go away, quit playing, etc.

Gee, wonder why there's hostility up in here and who the real "haters" are...