test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omega Trace farming...how much can you take?

Comments

• Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Exactly. SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK.

I am TOTALLY sane! ...No wait. That's the wrong answer, isn't it?
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I can only tolerate the minimum I can get away with. Getting a bit of event fatigue myself. Too many have been near back to back at this point.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    Last night I managed about 100 of each colour while chatting on teamspeak, wasn't too bad. But I am literally doing nothing else in STO right now.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    0.o?

Score 2300? Hell... I'm lucky if I can hit 850 (600 average), so I mainly get 1 trace at a time.

It's a lot easier if you use the mouse instead of the keyboard. Using the mouse, even on a bad run you should easily break 2k. On the Keyboard, I can't get more then a few hundred.
    I normally don't complain about lag (or notice it), but I have sudden slowdowns in the mini-game that make it difficult to achieve 2k. If I get out of my rythm, it takes too long for me to get back into it, I suppose.

But I like the mini-game. I think it's my favorite, especially compared to the other long mini-games (radiation scan and dilithium mining).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I don't farm them, but I have some from last year and now this year the i'll be selling..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    so shortly after writing that i have yet to try, i have just done 3 hours of farming on the omega stuff. 100 red, blue and yellows, 110 fragment, 4 shard and 1 particle in that time. that should be enough to make 8 omega tech upgrades and possibly 9 upgrades. thats enough on my new toon.

one thing i really dont like about the farming is when i am in the middle of playing the minigame a nearby omega pops up and a stabilise omega button pops up over the top of the minigame display, it completely throws my rythem out until i click on the minigame window again to put that button behind, it happens almost every time.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    I thought I was under-doing it by farming 30-ish of each trace each day (a total of 30 to 45 minutes of farming, depending on how much I lose to lag/glitches). Glad to see I'm not falling behind the curve, so to speak.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    one thing i really dont like about the farming is when i am in the middle of playing the minigame a nearby omega pops up and a stabilise omega button pops up over the top of the minigame display, it completely throws my rythem out until i click on the minigame window again to put that button behind, it happens almost every time.

Rearrange your HUD so that notification is not in the centre of the screen.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    it will only last a few weeks, not really much point. i have had default layout for 5 years without any issue, since i won't be doing much farming anyway, it is not much problem.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I do a handful of rounds of each colour, as I go through the daily mission. Just enough to start crafting with. Usually end up with around 20 of each colour per day, so... maybe an hour or so?

It's a kinda chill task.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    If I have the time I would try to do two hours. I would like for each of my 9 toons to have 10 Omega Upgrade Kits each by the end of the Anniversary Event. Counting only the traces and nothing else, that means I need to get 7,290 traces (divided evenly between the 3 colors).

Last night I only did it for 1 hour because no matter where I went I was getting hit with a lot lag and on several occasions there were instances when the game was trying to communicate with the server for more than 15 seconds, 3 of which resulted in disconnects. It was a bad night for me where my scores basically ranged between 960 and 2,200. Normally with no lag I can usually get between 2,000 and 2,700 so yeah, last night sucked. I switched to playing Fallout 4.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    ...one thing i really dont like about the farming is when i am in the middle of playing the minigame a nearby omega pops up and a stabilise omega button pops up over the top of the minigame display, it completely throws my rythem out until i click on the minigame window again to put that button behind, it happens almost every time.

You know, you can mouse-drag the mini-game to a more convenient place on the screen, right? I do so for this very reason. As for my Omega time commitment, I'm currently running 3-4 screens per color, per alt, per day, while doing the Q-daily mission. I normally only have time to run through 3 of my 6 alts in a day, since they still need DOff & AS assignments reloaded also.

I'm still trying to catch all my alt's up to the Temporal story arc, so that means at least 1 horrific DR mission per day, which I'm also using to level my backlog of ships. the Omega mini-game is infinitely preferable to almost any DR mission, so if I can get those finished in the next couple of weeks, I'll spend the rest of the month stockpiling traces and their kin. With fragments dropping this year, I expect I will have no trouble exceeding the 3 dozen Upgrades I farmed last year!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Just enough for the Qmendations, that's it. Anything more is just pure tedium.
    ^^^^
    Pretty much how I'm approaching it. And if there's one piece of content they should just plain remove (like the other sub-standard content they've axed for good) It's the utterly stupid/ridiculous SFA/KFA ground 'Q Party' mission. Yes, I did it in the past too when it was linked to getting a decent item or ship; but at this point after 3 years of it - it's boring, tedious, and still bugged as hell. <--- If that's not a good reason to remove it for good, I don't know what is.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    You know...

It's a shame that we don't have any doff missions to get Omega bits, like we did with the Christmas event...
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Well to be honest, while I am farming the traces for six+ hours, I am not really playing the mini game. I hit the button to start it, then let it just run and collect when it is done. Watching TV, talking with the wife, etc while it does it.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    liontriad wrote: »
    I find myself unable to really farm the traces for more than an hour a day if that. I prefer actually playing the game. Whats the longest session have you done so far?

Why grind other than the Qmendation events? I heard that the price for these might jump post event. Do you guys do the "extra" grind in the hopes of cashing in later with the market or just for R&D purposes? No sure if they're bound to account, character or none.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    It's one of the better minigames, imo, but it's already starting to wear thin.

Part of it is because without the Anni grind, the rewards for doing it are too little, too late.

To craft one Omega research, we need three fragments. Each fragment needs three shards. Each shard needs one trace of each color (3) and you have to go to three different locations to get it. I never get anything but a single trace at a go no matter what my score is, seems like. 3X3X3... 27 iterations is a mite excessive.

The only thing keeping me at it is the Anniversary ship... since I'm running around collecting particles anyway might as well do a few extra at a time.
    Just enough for the Qmendations, that's it. Anything more is just pure tedium.
    ^^^^
    Pretty much how I'm approaching it. And if there's one piece of content they should just plain remove (like the other sub-standard content they've axed for good) It's the utterly stupid/ridiculous SFA/KFA ground 'Q Party' mission. Yes, I did it in the past too when it was linked to getting a decent item or ship; but at this point after 3 years of it - it's boring, tedious, and still bugged as hell. <--- If that's not a good reason to remove it for good, I don't know what is.

I tried Party Patrol, I really did try, but... 5 marks for five rounds of shell game is not a good use of my gaming time.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    It's a lot easier if you use the mouse instead of the keyboard. Using the mouse, even on a bad run you should easily break 2k. On the Keyboard, I can't get more then a few hundred.
    Even with the mouse, I'm doing good if I get to 1000. My best ever was about 1400.​​
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    If you can consistently score 1800-2700, it's not that odious and you don't have to spend a great deal of time. Learn how to slide your mouse up and down without drifting to the side and it's easy. Counting up all the traces shards fragments etc I've gotten this year so far, I can make about 20 upgrades. Average of one hour a day.
    Listen to music, or a podcast, or an audiobook, whatever. It's a mindless mini game and you can do other things with your mind while playing it.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    I wonder if the Omega farmers realize that they're mitigating a dilithium sink, which leads to higher Zen prices on the exchange.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Allot of my time and money that goes into the game is spent on upgrading or grinding for materials to upgrade these days.
    Hammering in the omega molecules with 3 toons in as much time as I can give helps with the money issue during a time of cash shortage.
    Im using them on more expensive items like the kcb for rarity upgrades. Im using this allongside a dil reserve and regular upgrades I've saved in the hope of seeing significant savings.
    I've made around 15 upgrades so far but after a few hours of lag, crashing and my vision starting to play tricks with me even I have to call it a day.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I just grab ~12 of each trace when the daily's up to keep my Omega farm ticking over, get Slivers at least half the time as well so that speeds upgrade production along too. Probably going to spend a few long sessions hammering them out as well though, too useful to pass up the chance for another year when I've still got a few characters needing upgraded gear.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    But I am literally doing nothing else in STO right now.

That's the thing, right there. It's not even so much the time spent doing it, but that doing anything else feels like wasted time. Because....
    Allot of my time and money that goes into the game is spent on upgrading or grinding for materials to upgrade these days.

This. And I don't spend cash on upgrading. I do spend it elsewhere, but upgrading, that's pure grind. And grind and grind and finally, "well, there's one beam. Back to grinding". And grind and grind.......

So yeah, it's Omega Grinder Online this month.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    I wonder if the Omega farmers realize that they're mitigating a dilithium sink, which leads to higher Zen prices on the exchange.

I understand your concern; dilithium-to-zen exchange becomes too annoyingly high for those who rely on that for their zen.
    Personally, I don't really care, but I can see how it eats at the brains of the spend-no-money or as little as possible crowd.

All of my equipment is at mk xiv VR-Epic, these omega upgrades are like icing on the cake, to me.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I thought about farming to get a bunch of omega upgrades, but after doing it for one day I'd had enough. I'll continue doing it daily to get the ship, but I won't be farming.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »

I realize it, I just don't care.

The market will eventually stabilize, this is the only time of the year I can get Omega Kits so I'm getting as many as I can.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    liontriad wrote: »
    I find myself unable to really farm the traces for more than an hour a day if that. I prefer actually playing the game. Whats the longest session have you done so far?

Just farmed for 6 hours lol
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I haven't filled my inventory with Omega upgrades yet soo....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I suk at it so I just do the daily Q requirement and move on.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif