test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium Exchange Why going up so High

Comments

• Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Dil Exchange, as if millions of F2Per's suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." lol :)
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    If Cryptic really wanted to bring the zen prices down, all they would have to do would be to start posting zen on the exchange - there is no need for any other adjustments in the system, like capping this and that. Just like real world banks, who can print more money if the value of the currency gets too high, which devaluates it, Cryptic can create buttloads of zen or dil with a click of a button as is suited for their needs. How would anyone know? It's not like the zen exchange tells you who you got your zen/dil from. The option to manipulate zen prices with promotions and sales is just a cherry on top.

In short:

If they can adjust the price but don't, then it means the price is exactly where they want it, and until they want to have it somewhere else, it won't change.

Or, if they can adjust the price and are already doing it, then it means they were the ones who got the price where it is in the first place, so - once again - until they want the price to be somewhere else, it will stay where it is.

And if they can't adjust the price, well, then they can't and that's it.
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Dil Exchange, as if millions of F2Per's suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." lol :)
    *Looks at the latest Lock Box content announcement*
    Best comment of the thread !

• Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    So help me understand here ? we are unhappy about the cost of Dil per Zen that OTHER PLAYERS are asking for on a FREE MARKET called the Dilithium Exchange.

It's not a true free market, though. For one, you have a cap on how much dilithium you can store and how much Zen and dilithium you can place on the exchange at one time.

Secondly, you can only buy and sell within the 5-slot bracket that the system decides to display. If I wanted to quickly sell 800.000 Zen for 250 dilithium each, for example, or place a dilithium offer at 50 dil/Zen to wait for someone else to pick it up by accident, I'd not be able to do so, it simply wouldn't sell, even if their was a corresponding offer on "the other side".

(Considering that 5-slot bracket, I give Cryptic the benefit of doubt that it's really steered by supply and demand, but it could easily be the other way around as well as they could move the 5-slot bracket up and down at their choosing. We simply have no way of knowing, there is no security and exchange commission for the dilithium/Zen trade.)

Thirdly, there is the cap. We can't go above or below a certain threshold. Not so much an issue right not, but is has been in Neverwinter and it could become one in STO in a year or two at the current rate.

So it's not so much a free market as some sort of mixed economy.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Holy smoke since the start of this thread the exchange has jumped from 294 to 308 now.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,334 Arc User
    starmanj wrote: »
    Holy smoke since the start of this thread the exchange has jumped from 294 to 308 now.

New lock box and super ships have been presented along side some lobi goodies which appear to have a fan base (mirror universe costumes) so there is a LOT of hoarding going on.

Once this frenzy calms down i expect the exchange to stabilize at roughly 270-275.
    Still a bit high for my liking, but short term the best we can expect.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    TBH 300 is about average, that's where it was before the fleet starbases were added.

The exchange rate crash was deliberately caused by Cryptic, they aimed the starbase system at the largest fleets with the most whales, they knew that these people wouldn't sit back while others got to T5 first, so an absolute bloody fortune was dumped into the game, and it was the exchange rate that suffered as the whales kept undercutting each other, win win for Cryptic as the lower the rate the more zen the whales have to buy.

Once they had finished their starbase they no longer needed large amounts of dil so they removed their zen from the exchange, leaving just the wannabes and the light weights, and a low exchange rate is no use to them so it slowly rises until the next small dil sink.​​
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Although i've said its a free market. looking at how quickly the exchange can jump and the amount of dil required to say buy up 43895k priced at 310 dil per Zen. I question is there really this many players A. online B. This much spare dil around.

This is what makes me think there is something iffy with the exchange.
    At present there is 43,895 zen for sale at 310 so 13,607.450 dil is required to purchase all this up. thats a combined refining total of 1700 days.
    Now say there are 136 people all with 100k dil to spend towards that 43895 Zen, thats still between them 13 days of refining to acquire 100k dil to buy all that Zen.
    272 players needed for 50k still a weeks refine.

I know there are lots of acc's with vast amounts of dil and alts but they are the minority. But are there really that many players with such vast dil pools to not only buy that 43895Zen at 310 but to also clear the next level 12000k zen at 311 dil then the next, to lift the value of dil by 5-10 points within 24hrs ?. Or as we have seen over 20 points within 48hrs

Are the sellers being clever and selling so much then un-listing and re-listing at a higher rate ?.

I'm struggling to get my head around the dil required, the number of days it takes to acquire that much dil for the exchange to jump so many points.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    This is what makes me think there is something iffy with the exchange.
    At present there is 43,895 zen for sale at 310 so 13,607.450 dil is required to purchase all this up. thats a combined refining total of 1700 days.
    Now say there are 136 people all with 100k dil to spend towards that 43895 Zen, thats still between them 13 days of refining to acquire 100k dil to buy all that Zen.
    272 players needed for 50k still a weeks refine.

Eh, just a random note..... I don't religiously farm dil/etc. I don't play hours a day, I don't have 1mil unrefined backlog on my characters because I run STFs constantly, etc. I just queue up some doff & admiralty assignments on my extra alts once a day, and then play whatever "main" I feel like working on. (And my gear is mk12-13 purple/violet. I don't really STF, I do story missions and seasonal events). Yes, I do have a bunch of alts, because I've been playing since 2011 and I've got alt-itis in every game I play that allows multiple characters.

So while I might not fit the def of "casual", I'm certainly not hardcore. Either as a DPS/STFer, or as a dil farmer.

I checked yesterday, how much refined dil I have spread across my 10 alts..... it was 1.8mil. And this was after exchanging for around 8k zen since last November. (And the only character with any unrefined backlog was the one who hit rank 10 on KDF admiralty two days ago.)

Yeah, there's plenty of dil floating around out there. /shrug

...of course, now I'm out of zen again, since I bought 30 keys. :)

----
    Again, the main reason the rate has been steadily going up for the past year is that there's been a constant stream of stuff to buy for zen, that people wanted. T6 ships, lockbox, more T6 ships, Admiralty (buy old ships!), more T6 ships, lockbox.... there's been fantastic demand for zen for ages now. And the more demand there is for something, the more it's "value" increases. It's pretty straightforward.
  • Options
    hypnoticbeasthypnoticbeast Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I am disabled and on a fixed income. And I just had my first anniversary and I still love this game. I put in what I can in cash, but what I have put in is about 227 strait days of play. And If I have X amount of Dil and want to sell it then I should get a fair price for my hard work. But If I put X amount of cash into the game for a shortcut then THAT should not effect what I have earned. The problem is you have One medium for TWO kinds of currency. What about two kind of Dil and two kinds of Zen both kinds can be used in the C-store. Silver Zen for Dil and Gold for Cash. Gold Zen could be sold for Dil vouchers which can't be resold but still used in game and should have a set lump sum for how much cash you put in. And the sum should increase with amount of cash that is put in. Now Silver Zen is what you should get for trading the TIME {DIL} you have put into game. And that is based on how much Gold Zen has been put into the game at that point. The beast part of this Idea is that you can combine the two. Like say you put $20 in Gold and have 1.2 mill in refined Dil and trade that in and get say $10 in Silver well there is the new ship you have been jonesing for. And if money is short and all you can afford $10 no problem just spend some time earning you some ore refine it and Boom you got what ever you need. With two kinds of Zen the dev's will be able to keep better track of who is putting money in for a short cut and who is busting there rear to earn a special something for there hard work.

That is TERRIBLE for them because those silver zen are not being paid for by anyone. The reason that the current system is genius is that it's a f2p model in that YOU personally can get all the stuff without spending a dime, but SOMEBODY is always paying for it. You are thinking great for YOU. Oh and 1.2 mil dil for 10 bucks...even at the max exchange rate, you get a better deal then that...so really, this is a lose lose for everyone. So yeah, your make zen out of nowhere is not going to work for them.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    beameddown wrote: »
    remove the player cap and put in account wide cap

it slows down the botters and the contraband crowd

let any one toon or toons on the account get to the cap, those that want to run one character can hit the cap, those that want to run more than one character can mix/match to hit the account cap

those that run 10 plus toons now have to waste time making multiple accounts

those that already run multiple accounts now have to waste time making even more accounts to try and game the system

that's what you want at the end of the day, a more even ground for all while at the same time discouraging botting and toon cycling for sake of dil

I have been thinking about this for a while now and I think it could work pretty well actually. I mean we'd have to make the account cap something higher then 8k of course...but it can't be too high either. The trouble is, to make this work, I think the account cap maybe too low for many player's liking. I think having it in the 20-30k per day range would be reasonable and should help stablized the dil influx from the hard core grinders. And of course for the silly people with the cap unrefined dil on multiple toon, we'd have to set a new account wide unrefined limit...or just remove it all together. Course I can see the flames of people only being able to refine 20-30k per account (and I am leaning towards the 20 side).

Hardcore grinder? With admiralty and doffing I think I need to play 1 pve or so to reach the daily refinement limit on a char. That’s roughly 10 minutes in sum. Your suggestion would give me no reason to play this game for longer than 30 minutes per day because my progression would simply be terminated after that.

I don’t think that would be a good game design for a mmorpg.

So...your doffing and admiralty and rep turn in gives you about 20k dil for ONE character?!? WTF are you doing that the rest of us are not...and if you can do that now, what reason do you have to play...well EVER since you can't even refine that much dil now without playing at all. If you are talking about doffing and admiralty on multiple toons to get around 20k...well then yes, you are indeed one of the hard core farmers this is meant to hurt. With this system you don't have to keep swapping to alts to play a click game and you can play the couple of toons you want to for that day and have fun. Or if you find the click game fun, log in and play the click game.

Oh and thank you for demonstrating why this won't work with your immediate, knew jerk it will ruin the game.

Hi,

given the general tone of your reply I’m under the impression that you had trouble to comprehend or perhaps even to read what I wrote. That’s why I decided to give it another try and to help you out. :)

I currently play 9 characters in this game. All of them play distinct and influential roles in STO’s teamed PvE and PvP end game contend. Contend my friends and I enjoy doing most. The number of chars helps me to keep the contend of this game fresh and diversified for me.

Like every mmorpg player I share the drive to develop my characters further and to make them better than they already are. Since I have my stuff together for the most part the only thing I need for that is Dil, the one currency one can never have enough of. Fortunately accumulating it is very easy at the moment. Here is a breakdown of my main sources on a single char/day basis:

1) Doffing: ~2000 Dil; 1k one can get easily from the dil mine and colonial assignments. The rest you get is spread over your ship stations. I also collect contraband but rarely turn it in and rather save it for times when RL does not permit me to do 3) as much.

2) Admirality: ~4000 Dil; 2k are an abstraction of the rerun of the Klingon tour of duty assignment chain which’s completion I manage approximately every 15 days. Rest comes from a focus on regular KDF campaign assignments with a special attention towards event rewards.

3) PvE: ~2500 Dil; 1 advanced or elite run from queue list is usually enough. And hey, game is easy remember.

Now what you misunderstand as hardcore grinding or “farming” is just a toonhop for me. All those klicks from Admiralty and Doffing I undertake while I wait in other’s lobby’s or in the queue list for the next pve to pop. That’s why I reach the daily refinement cap on a character within 10 minutes or so before I hop to the next toon better suited for the next PvE coming up. My deck of 9 chars is well balanced for an average gaming time of 2-3 hours with plenty of time to spare actually.

I claim the result of your “thinking for a while” and what suggests an account wide refinement limit to be bad as in REALLY BAD because it would slow down my toon's progressions by roughly 2/3 flat. Fun would suffer because the very reason I play a mmopg (progress my toons while having fun with my friends) would be crippled only to cater to those who want to enjoy this game strictly free to play and naturally want to grab more free stuff for doing less. Players would not be encouraged to make more toons or to play more or buy more and the entire game would suffer because of it.

I don’t think this would be a good mmorpg game design from basically everybody’s perspective involved, hence my reply to your post.

So...you are toon hopping...which currently is the best way to farm the fake purple crystals in the game. Look, I admit that I do the same thing. Which does in fact make you one of the hard core farmers of dil. You can deny it all you want, but you are hopping between 9 toons to maximize their dil output each under the current system. Under the new system proposed, you would instead just concentrate of a couple of toons you were interested in ACTUALLY playing that day for a few hours instead of toon hopping 9 times to maximize your dilitium. It would free you to ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME...instead of 1 queue on each toon. Now, you could toon hop to maximize your admiralty and doffing and play almost no time as well...but hey if you find that fun...I suppose more power to you?!? The whole point would be to make it so you don't need to toon hop to reach cap.

But like I said, your knee jerk reaction is all I needed to show why it wouldn't work.

And while you may cry about your fun being crippled...which it really wouldn't be, to say that your fun is somehow more important that somebody else's fun is kinda...well...egotistical don't you think? What matters isn't if the system is better for YOU or even for ME (because actually it'd be terrible for me...I am one of the people who actually BUYS zen every once in a while and almost never do the dil to zen...so I want 500 to 1)...what matter is if it's good for more players first of all...then followed by is it good for the enough of the people who spend money. Well...optimally...but it will be the other way around. Anyways, since the people who spend money will be people like you or me instead of these F2P dil converters, I doubt this would happen.

Oh come on man, the "Hardcore Grinders" are the people with 50 characters per account on multiple accounts, not people with a tiny 9 characters, or even the 15 characters I have. Lemme do the math for you, 10 characters, at 8k per day, is 80k refined dil each day, if you max them all out, few thousand more with Dil mine and Vet status. 50 characters, doing nothing but feeding the cat (turn in contraband) for 2k dil each and very quick turnaround, is 100k dil refined daily, without maxing any of the characters out on dil, if they do 2 cycles, after running their main contraband farmer for a while to gather more cat food, its 200k refined per day, again without maxing out any character. The "Hardcore Grinders" know this, and will flat out tell people maxing dil refining on multiple characters that they are wasting time.

You are going beyond hardcore into this is a terrible job territory at that point. And really, having an account level cap will stop them too...unless they have those across mutiple accounts. In anycase, at 20k, they can cap that with 10 contra turn in instead of the amount of refine dil they can get hoing up by 2-4k per toon (depending on if they do 1 or 2 pass) per toon. And seriously, nerfing that sort of "play" actually sounds like a good thing for all involved...well other then those who are exploiting the system...but they can rot for all I care.

The difference in color is to show what was payed for with real money. I.E. The silver color is the Zen somebody else sold for Dil. and Gold is well what you payed cash for. The Silver Zen is what was put BACK into the game.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yeah I'm pretty sure when I started in STO there were only a few ships a year being released. But post-DR we've had month after month with T6's, lock boxes, R&D promos, cross-faction bundles, 9 packs; it's just been a near constant stream of new shiny toys to spend zen on which means demand for the Z's is really high.

I reckon once we get the majority of faction ships re-released as T6 then the number of releases might stabilise and we'll get back to some sort of normality. We're in the middle of a glut of new ships at the moment and once we get past it maybe the perceived value of zen (I.e the demand to exchange for it) will drop. Who knows.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    No, the onslaught of things to spend zen on will not stop until the game closes. This is the new business model introduced with DR and it's the one we are going to ride until the end - hopefully a very long time.

Will we ever see the 200's again? Maybe briefly, but I doubt we'll see the 280's ever again. If we we get up towards 350 over the next week then we will not go below 300 ever again.

I agree with what several have said here. The only way down is for the central bank to flood the market with their 'reserves.' I don't see them feeling the need to do that anymore until we approach 500. Then I do think they would step in.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    325 today. Am I the only one not upset?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    @a3001 I'm not upset, nor am I excited. It is what it is. People who don't like it wont buy/sell, people who accept is will buy/sell.

I find the fervor of those who consider themselves as the "have nots" to be... Intriguing.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    325 rubs hands together. Armada projects to be filles tonight.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    325 rubs hands together. Armada projects to be filles tonight.

Wait for 490 or so mate. As I've said often today is the best day to buy zen because tomorrow it will be higher. For you today is the worst day to buy dilithium!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I might just have to buy some Zen to get some Dil. About time my Zen was valued.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I reckon once we get the majority of faction ships re-released as T6 then the number of releases might stabilise and we'll get back to some sort of normality.

/rofl the Naïveté

then we will get T7 ships lol...

Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    I might just have to buy some Zen to get some Dil. About time my Zen was valued.

Damn skippy. Already done that on my end. ;)

I love rampant currency speculation. :D

• Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    It was said, you really only need one ship, bank the dil and upgrade everything to epic. I would buy the energy credit cap increase if you bought anything. Its a must in my book. Im banking it all for upgrades and fleet. As far as the cost, its all about demand and supply the higher the demand, the higher the cost of the supply. This isn't walmart. If you do need zen, wait until the sale, purchase what you need if you even need it. Buy a lifer account, 500 free zen a month, again bank it until you have what you need.

Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    a3001 wrote: »
    325 today. Am I the only one not upset?

Not upset here,

Neither upset or caring at this point. It doesn't impact what I do.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    makes little difference to me.
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I have a question: I have only gotten a max of 2k dilithium from admiralty, so then how am I hearing about these people getting 100k dilithium from admiralty?
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    lessley00 wrote: »
    I have a question: I have only gotten a max of 2k dilithium from admiralty, so then how am I hearing about these people getting 100k dilithium from admiralty?

Are you not doing both Fed and Klingon
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    null
    I am doing both, I'm sure completing the kdf tour of duty thing gives you quite a bit but that takes a while
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Am I the only one who remembers the quite recent Dil weekend? The prices are as they are because Dil is flooding the market at the moment, and some folks just have to spend it NOW NOW NOW, rather than waiting until the rate is something more reasonable.
    This. Also, there was two dili events kinda close together iirc, so double pumped the dili coffers.

That and new lockbox announced, so people want zen for keys/lobi etc.

Demand for zen has gone up, a bit of dili sloshing about. Of course the conversion rate goes up. Not sure why people are surprised or moaning about it.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Because that is their profession.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.