What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium Exchange Why going up so High

Comments

• Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    bejaymac wrote: »
    TBH 300 is about average, that's where it was before the fleet starbases were added.

The exchange rate crash was deliberately caused by Cryptic, they aimed the starbase system at the largest fleets with the most whales, they knew that these people wouldn't sit back while others got to T5 first, so an absolute bloody fortune was dumped into the game, and it was the exchange rate that suffered as the whales kept undercutting each other, win win for Cryptic as the lower the rate the more zen the whales have to buy.

Once they had finished their starbase they no longer needed large amounts of dil so they removed their zen from the exchange, leaving just the wannabes and the light weights, and a low exchange rate is no use to them so it slowly rises until the next small dil sink.​​

Maybe a good Idea would be to add a extra tiers to all DIl sink bases with good stuff in them for doing it.
  • Options
    georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    If anything else now that DIL is in all time high (332 as I type this), I think that Cryptic should allow people to convert their extra Event Ships like for the Anniversary to be sellable since people with multi toons can get them anyway and I don't think every toon they have would use those ships anyway.

This ships should only be sellable for DIL. Nothing else. and should have the original consoles or items attached to it so that the owners just can't sell the ships without those precious consoles.

This would kill 2 birds with one stone.

1. Allow those who missed the events to actually get those ships.
    2. Be a new Sink hole for DILs.

Also make those Event ships a one time thing for each toon so that it cannot be abused to be farmed per toon and should only be useable and sellable by a 60 level toon so that one cannot just simply delete the toon easily and farm the ship again. Harsh but it will give more value to those ships for the prices of DIL people may sell them. My idea still has some more issues to be discussed but that's the raw basis of it.

Anyway this are just my opinion and they are just that opinion and really wont mind if anyone dislikes it.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Like I said, you can say whatever you want...but you are not fooling anyone into thinking that you aren't one of the hardcore farmers if you are toon hopping over 9 toons everyday. And it's fine if you like all 9 of your toons. But seriously...not fooling anyone so say whatever you want.

And no, it does not take 9 times as much dil. For one thing, any C-store ships you gotten from dil to zen is an account unlock so further characters don't need to regrind dil for those. And while yes, new characters do need dil to build up...espeically if you want to build them up fully, once you do so...you just start to stockpile the stuff.

The way the game is designed NOW does not mean it's a GOOD design...nor can it be improved upon. What I suggest will be bad for the established players who have multiple toons, all built up and are toon hopping like you, me and most of the forum. It will be good for newer players and the F2P casuals that supports this game by them providing us somebody to play with and/or the next person to get hooked and spend money in this game. The big question is will this change make enough of the long timers like us quit...and is that worth the draw for the newer blood. YOU can't answer that unless you started working for cryptic marketing department and failed to mention that.

And once again, bad idea for YOU does not mean bad idea. People seem to fail to understand the difference. And yes, cryptic marketing may look at the numbers and say this is a bad idea based on their numbers...which is fine. Not like I actually WANT this to happen.

What’s there to „fool“ dude? You thinking is off. You “farm”, you “grind” and you use the Dil you accumulate to try to grab Zen without paying. I just pLay and have fun by keeping the same contend entertaining over different approaches to it.

The problem already is your statement about Z-store ships that can be used on multiple characters. Why in the world would I do such a thing? To end up my toons to become all the same? We have 3 different factions, 3 different careers and even 3 more specializations. It’s the variety I’m after and not the latest Z-Store shiny for free. When I want such a thing, I simply buy it and support the game I love to play.

Maybe it’s annoying for you that I refine 72k+ Dil each day but for me it’s not a thing really and not even close to a grind. Not under the available means and especially not because of the fun and high rewarding contend we have around. The only limit is the 8,5k refinement cap which should be set even higher and not lower in my opinion. It’s fair from cryptic for freebees however for anybody who takes stuff like upgrades or fleets seriously it’s already a highly limiting factor no matter how many toons one could have.
    lessley00 wrote: »
    what are people saying about getting a sh*t-ton of dilithium from admiralty? I get 2k at the most, thats not very much. Oh sure completing kdf tour of duty gives you 30k but thats more of a long term project
    The trick is that you reach a “break even point” between your average gaming time and the number of ship cards that form up your desk. Everything counts here, even and especially shuttles. In my case I have 40 ship cards on an average on my toons balanced against my 2-3 hours in STO each day. More than enough. Focus on the KDF campaign with putting “rushing” through the tour of duty there on the main agenda. I manage Mission 10 every 15 days or so. On assignments that don’t reward Dil (or other stuff you like to have) use skip tokens when the missions duration is longer than your gaming session and use your shuttles to deliberately fail them if they are shorter so you can launch another cycle before you log off.

The Admiralty is awesome and the most helpful tool in STO because it entirely eliminated the grind in this game (except temporary mark needs) and that at the most alt friendly nature one could think of. “Delta Rising killed off my alts” was nicely reversed with it. The consequences are now that everybody, even those who can’t beat the active contend that easily, has the means to flood the exchange with Dil.

However given the choice between catering to those which don’t support the game and those who do and just want STO to be grind free I take the latter any day.

animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    The solution might be to set a daily limit of refined dilithium you can trade on the exchange. Say 500'000 dilithium per account and per 24 hours. That way the extend of market manipulation by a small group of whales could be limited significantly.
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Cryptic won't get involved in the dil exchange and shouldn't have to, unless it becomes detrimental to the finances and health of the game. Reasons for this are.

1. A low exchange rate on dil to zen is not in Cryptic's best interests long term as it becomes easier to convert dil to zen and less likely people will spend RL money on the game regularly.

2. Dilithium at a high value for a short period of time is in Cryptic's best interests. Because converting dil to zen is less rewarding to the customer and therefore it encourages the less patient of us to open our wallets. However this is only best as a short term interest as high dil value can price F2P players and those that can't afford to finance the game out the game. (This is when Cryptic would start to have a look at things and should only look when the health of game starts to suffer).

3. A mid range value on dil is most profitable long term for Cryptic, its the balanced solution. Players only have a moderate grind to refine dil to purchase zen and its still accessible and affordable to all, but it also encourages spending RL money on lower Zen purchases as a top up if a few hundred short.

So at present it is not Cryptic's responsibility to do anything about the dil exchange. Dil-Zen is still affordable at 316 (Last time i checked) not ideal but its not hurting Cryptic at the moment, its a bowel movement for the player base. but if it stays at this rate (Which i'd prefer it did drop as i stated before it has added a few extra days to my refine cycle for zen) Cryptic will be happy as it fits within the balanced model.

Only people that can influence the exchange or should be able to is us by choosing to buy Zen with our Dil.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User
    Cryptic won't get involved in the dil exchange and shouldn't have to, unless it becomes detrimental to the finances and health of the game. Reasons for this are.

1. A low exchange rate on dil to zen is not in Cryptic's best interests long term as it becomes easier to convert dil to zen and less likely people will spend RL money on the game regularly.

2. Dilithium at a high value for a short period of time is in Cryptic's best interests. Because converting dil to zen is less rewarding to the customer and therefore it encourages the less patient of us to open our wallets. However this is only best as a short term interest as high dil value can price F2P players and those that can't afford to finance the game out the game. (This is when Cryptic would start to have a look at things and should only look when the health of game starts to suffer).

3. A mid range value on dil is most profitable long term for Cryptic, its the balanced solution. Players only have a moderate grind to refine dil to purchase zen and its still accessible and affordable to all, but it also encourages spending RL money on lower Zen purchases as a top up if a few hundred short.

So at present it is not Cryptic's responsibility to do anything about the dil exchange. Dil-Zen is still affordable at 316 (Last time i checked) not ideal but its not hurting Cryptic at the moment, its a bowel movement for the player base. but if it stays at this rate (Which i'd prefer it did drop as i stated before it has added a few extra days to my refine cycle for zen) Cryptic will be happy as it fits within the balanced model.

Only people that can influence the exchange or should be able to is us by choosing to buy Zen with our Dil.

Nice summary.

Personally i think the frenzy will last one week, two at most. It started when details from the new ships started to seep in and within the first two weeks after release most will have gained their coveted vessels and the exchange will most likely drop to 250-275.

Time will tell, but i expect this house of cards to tumble down shortly.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    The ocean of tears from the dilithium profiteers does my black withered heart good.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Exchange went down a bit last night from 312 to 311. I was shocked seeing a price drop like that.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I hope you weren't in the game an hour ago then. It went
    from 315 to 312

Spoiler added for safety reasons and possibly health concerns. I cannot be held responsible if you choose to read it anyway :p
  • Options
    redhorseriderredhorserider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The oil market collapsed years ago in response to driver sponsored boycotts. Not a total boycott, people just refused to buy gasoline on certain days. If we did the same on the dilithium exchange, say not buy on mondays and thursdays, for instance, it would shake up the exchange...if it really is a true exchange and not just a sham.
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    starmanj wrote: »
    desertjets wrote: »
    I'd have figured we would hit some equilibrium at this point, with research lab being out long enough and no new shinies in the C-store for a bit. BUT there is just so much dil out there.

I really think the admiralty system has just poured it on. I've been barely playing much these days, just doffing and admiralty and I am sitting on a boat load of unrefined dil. If you are somewhat purposeful with how you play admiralty you can cycle the Klingon tour of duty in 10-15 days and get that sweet lump sum of dil. Now imagine somebody that actually has time to do more than DOFF/admiralty and they have even more dil sitting around. Now with the anniversary event coming up and anticipation of a new ship release the dilex will continue to climb.

I here you I am Cap out on 10 mil un-refined DIL ore everyday now for the past 3 years

And you wonder why it's not worth very much?
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    A mid point of around 250 is best as it has the effect of letting people grind reasonably easily to convert for zen whilst still putting in small amounts of real cash to allow for bigger purchases. Effectively it's like having a sale on the zen purchased items (where half the value is knocked off by using exchanged dil) so often people will spend more in a sale situation as they feel they are getting better value. In fact they are just being sucked in by the lower prices.
    That would probably get Cryptjc more money than a situation where the game is only being supported by a few whales, it would encourage more casual sales as people aren't priced out.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    zombieman149zombieman149 Member Posts: 29 New User
    abandon ship, haha 500 was somewhat comical
  • Options
    starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    I wonder if now would be a good time to convert zen into dil and wait for the prices to go back down and turn a nice little zen profit.
  • Options
    Wow 339-340 now I guess I'll be buying the new flag ship with Cash now it is way to high now
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Wow 339-340 now I guess I'll be buying the new flag ship with Cash now it is way to high now

Fun how they have a habit to coincident upgrade weekends with premium zen store releases eh?

Makes some peeps tempted to actually buy dil with zen while others to finally spend real RL money for zen stuff. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm starting to think the goal is to drive it to 450 or so and try and suck some dilithium out of the game - at 3x the rate - and then maybe hit with a starbase around October to force zen to dil purchasing for the fleets who don't skip it.

There definitely had been a philosophy of balance until around Feb 26 of last year. But in this past year we will have climbed 200 points.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I had to convert some dil to zen last night to get to 10000 zen for the mega pack today. I was at 9691zen so I bought 309 zen with dill at 340 conversion. So I suppose I added to the problem :(.
  • Options
    georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    mrsmitty81 wrote: »
    I had to convert some dil to zen last night to get to 10000 zen for the mega pack today. I was at 9691zen so I bought 309 zen with dill at 340 conversion. So I suppose I added to the problem :(.

Yup. But I'm not Blaming you though. It's like a gold rush. You don't see it's bad effects until it's too late. In this case though the one that would really suffer are the new players or returning ones. But hey that's life. Our ancestors did the same to us anyway.
  • Options
    rodney65rodney65 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    no use gripping about any thing on here , like the DEVs give a TRIBBLE about the players, just like all the other games , GREED is what's driving this game
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    rodney65 wrote: »
    no use gripping about any thing on here , like the DEVs give a TRIBBLE about the players, just like all the other games , GREED is what's driving this game

Yup. Greed. How dare pwe/cryptic attempt to make a profit off of Star Trek? The very nerve.

There's greed here, but it ain't pwe/cryptic. And where were all of you when the Exchange rate was below 100?
    Didn't see any of you lining up to take shots at the Zen profiteers back then.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    345 now you all are sure trying to get this up to 390 as it was 6 years ago why so high now again?
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    How do I economics?
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    shoot it in its necro zombie head!!!!!!
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Braaaaaiiiiiiiiiinnnns!

Seriously though! @jodarkrider ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE DETECTED!!!!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

This discussion has been closed.