What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO and Windows 10

2»

Comments

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »
    Have you tried completely reinstalling STO?

I did. Still getting DirectX errors.

I'm guessing your GPU isn't DX11 compatible or newer? If not, try installing DX9 on Windows 10. As I don't have this issue and my GPU is DX11 compatible which also works well with DX12, I can't say if it will resolve your issue. In the past though, older games sometimes install the DX that works with them the best, so hopefully installing DX9 will correct your DX issues. Would you mind mentioning the GPU you are using? That at least might give me some ideas to suggest.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Would you mind mentioning the GPU you are using? That at least might give me some ideas to suggest.

It's a piece of junk integrated chipset, ATI Radeon 3000. (And I tried buying a new graphics card two years ago, there's no slot to put it in.) This computer came with 7, and we got it...oh, five years ago, I think. The version of DX it runs is 10, and I dunno how I can upgrade (or downgrade!) it to fix the problem.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    Would you mind mentioning the GPU you are using? That at least might give me some ideas to suggest.

It's a piece of junk integrated chipset, ATI Radeon 3000. (And I tried buying a new graphics card two years ago, there's no slot to put it in.) This computer came with 7, and we got it...oh, five years ago, I think. The version of DX it runs is 10, and I dunno how I can upgrade (or downgrade!) it to fix the problem.

This is a link to 9.0c. I'm sure they have a DX10.1 on there somewhere also. Before you try that. Have you tried running the DXDiag Tool to see if that can find any issues?
    Other than the typical "Cryptic lag", I was not having any issues before this blasted upgrade, so I don't understand why it's suddenly acting up now.
    TW1sr57.jpg

As mentioned in today's patch notes. There is an incoming fix for the game crashing when it launches. If today's fix doesn't fix your issue, then it's either PWE didn't fix it properly or it is related to something else. Personally, I hope PWE got this fix right as there are a few players I know that haven't been able to play in a few weeks now.
    edited August 2015
    Personally, I hope PWE got this fix right as there are a few players I know that haven't been able to play in a few weeks now.

One way to find out, I suppose!

EDIT: Aaaaand big steaming pile of DIDDLY SQUAT.
    TW1sr57.jpg

Personally, I hope PWE got this fix right as there are a few players I know that haven't been able to play in a few weeks now.

One way to find out, I suppose!

EDIT: Aaaaand big steaming pile of DIDDLY SQUAT.

very sorry to hear that! )=
  • shanker666shanker666 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    I tried the dxdiag and came up with no problems. I'm running a Radeon HD5450 card which fully supports DX11 and still crashes after the Iconian War screen. I can boot up in safe mode so there's some good news anyway but this issue didn't start for me until Windows 10 update so I think it's somewhere in there or Cryptic's subpar code writers. Btw,thanks for the nerf hammer on the embassy plasma consoles. Another reason to rethink my spending habits in the game until this mess gets fixed. Good luck to all getting in the game. :-)
    Meh, I rolled back to Windows 7, and voila - STO works. So it WAS something to do with 10.
    TW1sr57.jpg

• shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Meh, I rolled back to Windows 7, and voila - STO works. So it WAS something to do with 10.
    Seconded. If nothing else, lesson learned from this nonsense - don't rush into a new OS.
  • danin73danin73 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    As mentioned in today's patch notes. There is an incoming fix for the game crashing when it launches. If today's fix doesn't fix your issue, then it's either PWE didn't fix it properly or it is related to something else. Personally, I hope PWE got this fix right as there are a few players I know that haven't been able to play in a few weeks now.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled STO. It is patched. I still get a black screen and the perpetual blue circle after clicking Engage. I have checked and double checked my drivers. Boo.

Looks like it's back to one of my other games.

• danin73danin73 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Well... just for giggles I tried to run gameclient.exe as an administrator and it worked. Going through the normal launcher just gets me the black screen. If I run gameclient.exe, directly from my file directory and not as an administrator, I get a crash with an error reporting box. But, right clicking an running as an administrator, while still bypassing Arc, will allow it to run.

Don't know why I didn't try that before.
  • felixileffelixilef Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Basically, if a program works with Windows 7 or 8.1, it will work on 10.

I don't know what you are doing, but that's not the case for me. I get a video driver failure (yes my drivers are the most recent for my system) and crash to desk top ever since updating to Windows 10. I have even gone so far as to uninstall both STO and ARC then reinstall them both only to have the exact same problem. STO fails to load with W10. It won't even load in W7 compatibility mode even though it ran flawlessly under W7. After running all the compatibility modes and testing them all in game, W10 tells me I have an incompatible program. I am at a loss and more than a bit upset that nothing I have done fixes this issue. Lifetime membership to a game that I can no longer play.....
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    felixilef wrote: »
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Basically, if a program works with Windows 7 or 8.1, it will work on 10.

I don't know what you are doing, but that's not the case for me. I get a video driver failure (yes my drivers are the most recent for my system) and crash to desk top ever since updating to Windows 10. I have even gone so far as to uninstall both STO and ARC then reinstall them both only to have the exact same problem. STO fails to load with W10. It won't even load in W7 compatibility mode even though it ran flawlessly under W7. After running all the compatibility modes and testing them all in game, W10 tells me I have an incompatible program. I am at a loss and more than a bit upset that nothing I have done fixes this issue. Lifetime membership to a game that I can no longer play.....

What was your old OS, when the game client did work properly? W7? W8? W8.1?

Was your old OS a 32bit or 64bit?

When you upgraded to W10, did you install the 32bit version, or the 64bit version, and did you update it to the Novemeber release as well, which involved Home and Pro editions of W10?

The above questions, may or may not have a vast effect on the game client!!!

I can tell you, that W10 does have some slight issues with proper drivers, related to some hardware!

tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• dsosebeedsosebee Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    I know this has been mentioned before, but theres been no clarity on it.
    Can a Dev or maybe trendy please tell me, Is Sto being made Compatible with Windows 10???
    I currently use windows 8.1

I've just purchased a Windows 10 PC (I5-4570 Quad Core CPU, 8GB Ram, Intel Extreme Graphics Controller, Windows 10 Home Edition) and Star Trek Online runs perfectly fine on it - I have had no problems at all and it's far better than on my old Windows XP machine. Hope this helps.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    dsosebee wrote: »
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    I know this has been mentioned before, but theres been no clarity on it.
    Can a Dev or maybe trendy please tell me, Is Sto being made Compatible with Windows 10???
    I currently use windows 8.1

I've just purchased a Windows 10 PC (I5-4570 Quad Core CPU, 8GB Ram, Intel Extreme Graphics Controller, Windows 10 Home Edition) and Star Trek Online runs perfectly fine on it - I have had no problems at all and it's far better than on my old Windows XP machine. Hope this helps.

Windows XP, God I hope so lol. ;)
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    One issue I noticed with windows 10 which affected performance is that on occassion random apps such as mail, photos, xbox etc and even some games appear to be running in the background at random times or at the very least loaded to memory and reserving space. From what I have discovered this is an issue with the superfetch service and can be solved by setting the service trigger to manual - open task manager and select the services tab, at the bottom of the page there is a link to open the services page of the control panel. Look for superfetch and right click on the item and select properties. On this page there is a dropdown box labeled startup type, set this to manual and apply.
    This may help by freeing up memory and disk usage that is apparently being utilised by non-requested programs and not allowing requested apps/programs from pre-loading data to memory.