test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extra Uniform Parts - Dress Uniforms

stalwartodst#2886 stalwartodst Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited December 2015 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Hey guys,

I was wondering, could we have stuff such as Side Caps, Military Berets, Peaked Caps? I think it would make the uniform customization a little broader in the game and a bit better. I personally want this so I can create my uniform that I wear every Tuesday in game.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12227201_123799937984171_6333046379661653557_n.jpg?oh=d4bfff35157863212f4cd16fb708421d&oe=5715E6F3

Just a thought.

Comments

• jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    /Moved to more fitting forum category.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    When was anything like that ever worn by Starfleet personnel?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    As far as I know, I've only seen that in the JJVerse, though it could potentially have been something the MACOs would've had.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    gulberat wrote: »
    As far as I know, I've only seen that in the JJVerse, though it could potentially have been something the MACOs would've had.

The closest we had to actual Starfleet Issue hats outside of the AR was the NX-01 ballcaps in Enterprise. Other than that... there was an Officer Hat seen in Captain Pike's quarters in the original TOS pilot, but if that was Starfleet Issue or just a personal item is unknown.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • stalwartodst#2886 stalwartodst Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Well the devs have added things like whole sets of starships but a military headdress is too far?
    There is also this.
    185?cb=20090711070123&path-prefix=en
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    There is also this.
    185?cb=20090711070123&path-prefix=en

What is that, the hat @rattler2 is referring to?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    That was in the JJ trek first movie.
    That was in the JJ trek first movie.

Not it's not, that's from The Cage.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Oh, it is from the cage. There are officer caps in JJ Trek.
    Oh, it is from the cage. There are officer caps in JJ Trek.

Yes, those two films and in the background in two episodes. And other than those two types of hats, Starfleet has no military style uniforms. It's debatable if it's a military or not (it's not) but they certainly don't wear military costumes, they don't even salute.​​

#TASforSTO

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    The hat in the cage has not been identified as part of the uniform, given that it looks completely different from the actual worn uniforms (be it duty or landing party) it may be just a personal item of Pike, like Sisco's baseball.

Basecaps and jackets to complete the ENT uniforms are fine with me, those were in the show and STO offers anything else seen in the shows and isn't limited to a specific era. Berets or other caps, camouflage uniforms etc. so people can play space marine wouldn't bother me personally as I don't have to use it, yet I don't see a legit reason for it to be in this game aside from 'Why not include battleaxes or M-4 assault rifles because LULZ'.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    We could see this for some off-duty costumes, or for non-Klingon species, maybe the Gorn will have headgear with a crest like a Lambeosaurus lambei, or some similar, and still living, animal on their homeworld.
    We do have full MACO, Omega, Delta Alliance such and such armor. I'm just wondering why can't we have military headdress? THere is an entire costume slot devoted to hats and all we have is a ferengi headdress, and a bajoran religious cap.
    We do have full MACO, Omega, Delta Alliance such and such armor. I'm just wondering why can't we have military headdress? THere is an entire costume slot devoted to hats and all we have is a ferengi headdress, and a bajoran religious cap.

Because Star Trek never has shown headdresses to be a thing, honestly. Starfleet uniforms do not incorporate any sort of hat or cap, aside from the security guard's helmet in TMP. Klingons never were shown to wear any sort of head dress. Romulans wear helmets, no idea why we don't have those. Ferengi and Bajorans wore those things, but other than that wearing a barret on your Starfleet guy is just your personal fantasy of having a modern military uniform in the game but there's no example of that in Star Trek, the thing the game is modeled after. And if Cryptic doesn't invent hats for their uniforms (which they could, they could make up watever they want after all) there's no legitimate reason to have them.

There's a top-hat in the "21st century formal wear" costume selection which was a gimmick for some anniversary, but I think that and the humorous winter caps are the only hats we have in game. There are non for "serious" uniforms.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    There's a top-hat in the "21st century formal wear" costume selection which was a gimmick for some anniversary

WHAT, where!?​​

#TASforSTO

artan42 wrote: »
    WHAT, where!?

@artan42 I thought it was part of the formal wear costume set? Sorry to get your hopes up, I may misremember things pig-27.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    WHAT, where!?

@artan42 I thought it was part of the formal wear costume set? Sorry to get your hopes up, I may misremember things pig-27.gif

:( I didn't even know I needed one until now.​​

#TASforSTO

• jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 559 Arc User

Exactly. Why shouldn't one have access to berets, or garrison caps and things of that nature? Or what if one wishes to make such things part of their personal fleet uniforms? I myself would be overjoyed to see a beret in game.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    Exactly. Why shouldn't one have access to berets, or garrison caps and things of that nature? Or what if one wishes to make such things part of their personal fleet uniforms? I myself would be overjoyed to see a beret in game.

Why shouldn't one have access to bearskins, full plate helmets, kitty ears or things of that nature? What if I want to make them part of my peronal fleet uniforms?

Seriously, there are just limits to things. Why aren't modern army uniforms part of mount and blade? What if I want to make it my in-game countries' uniform? Because you just can't. Cryptic can't just include EVERYTHING in the game because someone may have the freak idea of using it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    Because those aren't part of a uniform! Have you seen any military's standard uniform with bs like that? Regardless of Star Trek's low budget this is a NAVY. What is a Navy? A branch of modern military. What do the Navy wear? Uniforms. What's part of a uniform? A headdress.
    Because those aren't part of a uniform! Have you seen any military's standard uniform with bs like that? Regardless of Star Trek's low budget this is a NAVY. What is a Navy? A branch of modern military. What do the Navy wear? Uniforms. What's part of a uniform? A headdress.

You didn't mention standard uniforms but dress uniforms. And bearskins are part of the British Royal Guard's dress uniform. pig-3.gif

And regardless what you might think, Starfleet is Starfleet. A fictional organization set in a universe hundreds of years from now which considers our present day military uniforms a silly costume (TNG season 1). We have never, ever seen any Starfleet member wear any kind of headdress (outside of the alternate reality in the new movies and even if those weren't nonsense Cryptic cannot use these uniforms for legal reasons), either dress or duty with the exception of a helmet for a security officer in TMP. There is no basis to ask for a headdress for Starfleet aside from "I'd like to have that" - this is perfectly fine. But it has the same basis as asking for kitty ears and that leads us to the impossibility of just including every thinkable piece of costume in this game.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif

Starfleet is not a navy.​​

#TASforSTO

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    Berets or other caps, camouflage uniforms etc...​​

Closest we have for actual Camo uniforms is actually the Enterprise Era MACOs. They had a bit of a Camo pattern on their uniforms, but it was grayscale I believe.

Starfleet is not a navy.​​

While Starfleet does perform military roles in wartime, its more than that as they also perform scientific and support roles.

And outside of the NX ballcap in Enterprise, there are no canon pieces of headgear outside of the Alternate Universe that go with the uniforms. Even if we do consider the Alternate Universe, we didn't see hats with the standard duty uniforms. They were usually paired with what appear to be Class A Dress Uniforms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

Starfleet is not a navy.

While Starfleet does perform military roles in wartime, its more than that as they also perform scientific and support roles.

It's more like they almost exclusively exist as an exploration and research fleet who sometimes have to shoot things.​​

#TASforSTO

ruinthefun wrote: »
    Romulans wear helmets, no idea why we don't have those.
    Romulan Helmet is in the game.

C-store, right? Yeah, my bad, thanks pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Romulans wear helmets, no idea why we don't have those.
    Romulan Helmet is in the game.

C-store, right? Yeah, my bad, thanks pig-1.gif​​

Even then, the Centurion helmets are male only. Females can't wear them.
    Oh my god. This non-canonical whining is soooooo annoying. Can't you guys just look at what might be good in an idea. All I hear is canon this, peace-keeping that. If you're saying it's not a military but a peace keeping force, YOU'RE TOTALLY BUGGERED! Canada's military is doing peacekeeping operations in Syria and the Middle East, but it's still a military. All this canon stuff you're talking about is total TRIBBLE. STO has broken this "canon" convention so many times! Can't you guys just put on your big kid pants and think for a moment. It doesn't matter if it's canon, if it makes the game better and semi-fits in, JUST DO IT! At the least Starfleet is a police force, but they still wear DU and headdresses. Seriously.
    Oh my god. This non-canonical whining is soooooo annoying. Can't you guys just look at what might be good in an idea. All I hear is canon this, peace-keeping that. If you're saying it's not a military but a peace keeping force, YOU'RE TOTALLY BUGGERED! Canada's military is doing peacekeeping operations in Syria and the Middle East, but it's still a military. All this canon stuff you're talking about is total TRIBBLE. STO has broken this "canon" convention so many times! Can't you guys just put on your big kid pants and think for a moment. It doesn't matter if it's canon, if it makes the game better and semi-fits in, JUST DO IT! At the least Starfleet is a police force, but they still wear DU and headdresses. Seriously.

A good line to accompany a rage tantrum pig-1.gif

This is a game based on something, it's not a original game. You can voice a suggestion but then live with people telling you this isn't in the IP this game is based on, so the chances are dim. If Cryptic decides they want headgear for Starfleet, Starfleet will get headgear but until that point both opinions are valid and your suggestion simply has no basis, that's all. If you don't like getting canon arguments in a game that is based on a vast and documented canon I don't think others are to blame.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Given we have non-canon ships & non-canon uniforms, it's kinda moot to whip the 'canon' argument in a way some people tend to do it, as if anyone who goes suggesting that canon can be bent was some kind of monster. To me, personally, canon is a guideline, not something which cannot be crossed or bent, especially in game like STO, which is based on Trek-era not covered by any official source. Just a food for thought, tho.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider