test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lag, FPS drops and well, just a very poorly performing game.

1. As soon as an instance hits 15+ people on ground, it gets very laggy and FPS drops. This is especially so on ESD.

2. FPS has been TRIBBLE poor on numerous maps, especially the Vlugta mine and fleet mine.

3. The mines have sticky spots in the terrain that weren't there before, preventing one from jumping and slows movement.

4. STF's & Red Alerts have become laggy again. I have a feeling that some of the powers that were causing latency are doing so again, or something new is going on.

5. On the character selection screen, switching from Fed to Romulan causes the game to stop responding for 10-20 sec. I'm also finding it's slow to load character images when switching.

6. Load times when logging into the game and between zones are taking longer and longer. I find logging in at ESD seems to take forever.

7. The UI is very slow to respond. I often have to click things two or three times before they activate.

8. Ground and space power trays are also slow to respond and sometimes require being clicked multiple times.

Some of these problems have been going on since Season 10.5, others in the last few weekly patches. I know it's neither my system nor my ISP causing it and I don't seem to have similar issues with other games. It's just STO.

Comments

• Options
    ishigawa1ishigawa1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Having similar issues. When trying to do STF's, Dilithium Mining, Sector Space Travel, getting within firing range of enemy ships, or generally anything that causes a change of any sort, causes rubberbanding, lag, frame-rate drop. It gets to the point where I literally sit back and wait about 5 minutes for the movement to stop, only to watch my ship undergo a seizure procedure that causes it to spasmodically and violently shake back and forth like a dog with a chew toy between its' teeth.

I've done multiple resets of my wifi and it's not my computer, so I can only conclude that Cryptic's servers are once more smoking the koosh.

I really, REALLY don't care about Cryptic pumping out new stuff if their goddamn servers keep having a seizure every other week. Maybe you guys should focus on fixing the carry capacity of your servers before focusing on creating content. Considering you need the servers to even DO anything, I'm sure the public would understand if you gave yourselves ANOTHER overhaul, but this time actually put some goddamn work into the servers instead of content.

I love STO, and I love the content you guys at Cryptic provide, but no one can ENJOY said content if they can't access it due to server issues. Please fix them. We don't care what it is, or how long it takes. As long as they work properly, we'll gladly wait.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    It's not even the server. It's lazy programming on cryptic's part. They need to spend more time on testing before pushing patches live.
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Having the same issue. The maps I am experiencing this most on are the Romulus Command Center, ESD, the "New Link" episode ground portion, and many of the delta quadrant space patrol maps.

Not only am i going from a normal frame rate of 60+ down to 5 FPS, the UI is also lagging out. Abilities activate sometimes 10 seconds after i press them..the chat becomes laggy as well. Changing setttings to minimum and lower resolution has no effect.

Have been hearing from alot of other players that they believe it is effecting the players with AMD/ATI video cards more so than others. I myself use a Radeon R9 280x. All of these issues appeared after the launch of season 10.
  • Options
    natejam101 wrote: »
    Have been hearing from alot of other players that they believe it is effecting the players with AMD/ATI video cards more so than others. I myself use a Radeon R9 280x. All of these issues appeared after the launch of season 10.

I'm using an nVidia card. Chat isn't laggy, but everything else seems to be. Even in an almost empty instance of ESD, the FPS is absolute BS.
  • Options
    fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    the UI or mouse function is hanging on me.tonight was soo bad the game frooze.
  • Options
  • Options
    tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I've had fps trouble on ESD ever since it was remodeled, the old ESD always had smooth frame rate, I don't get why they thought they should remodel it, I even turned my graphics down to low just so I could move around ESD and that doesn't help, at best I get 10 fps even on everything turned off or set to low on my graphical settings.

But my fleet has everything maxed out so I don't bother with ESD anymore unless I'm on another character doing missions and I have no choice but to go to ESD.

I don't have any problems with frame rate at the dilithium mine or the fleet mine.

I do have trouble having to click on an ability on my tray multiple times before it actually decides to activate. The only STFs that are laggy are the Terran ones, all the other STFs are empty so I wouldn't know about fps drops and the Borg Red Alerts are smooth, but the Tholian ones are giving me problems.

The only ground battlezone I can tolerate atm is the Dyson Sphere and Terran Space Battlezone is fine when there isn't 1000 ships and 80% of them are Terrans all using their torpedo spreads at the same time.

I couldn't play STO when Delta Flight was released because of laggy it was, I couldn't even reach the character selection screen without it just timing out on me. I started playing again a week before New Dawn dropped and it barely got any better.

STO has not been smooth for sometime, last time I remember the game being smooth was when they had fixed the servers after they were overloaded when Season 6 had dropped.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    sov42 wrote: »

I'm afraid I have nothing to offer on this occasion, a few friends of mine and myself have been trying to work out why some maps lag badly for some of us and not the rest and vice versa for a while, and so far there doesn't seem to be a common cause.

Just as a couple of examples, one of my friends lags to a standstill on Risa yet others are fine, and the new Battlezone lags half of us up (including me) but not the others. So far there doesn't seem to be any reason for it.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User

I'm using an nVidia card. Chat isn't laggy, but everything else seems to be. Even in an almost empty instance of ESD, the FPS is absolute BS.

PROCESSOR4-GHz Intel Core i7 4790K
    RAM16GB
    GRAPHICS CARDNvidia GeForce GTX 980
    SSD: 2 TB SSD

Yeah I Should be experiencing little if no FPS drops in ESD. It could also run better if Cryptic changed code so we can use DX11 without STO Crashing. They could also do some optimizing of the code in this game.
  • Options
    ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User

I'm afraid I have nothing to offer on this occasion, a few friends of mine and myself have been trying to work out why some maps lag badly for some of us and not the rest and vice versa for a while, and so far there doesn't seem to be a common cause.

Just as a couple of examples, one of my friends lags to a standstill on Risa yet others are fine, and the new Battlezone lags half of us up (including me) but not the others. So far there doesn't seem to be any reason for it.
    Do you guys have similar systems? That could be a factor. Either way, some code needed to be fixed.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    ccs46 wrote: »
    Do you guys have similar systems? That could be a factor. Either way, some code needed to be fixed.

It's a glitch introduced with season 10 (well FPS problems associated with Risa, ESD, Dyson Zones, New Romulus, ground maps in the first Federation missions, and now the New Link). Code is definitely the problem. A cryptic dev did respond recently and say they were basically looking into it now. The thing to do is to report these bugs in-game where you're experiencing the problems. That gives them location data and you should be sure to provide hardware information with the bug report.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I logged into a character on DS9 and collected rewards from doff assignments then started collecting rewards from admirality. I clicked the claim rewards button but nothing would happen on any admirality assignment. I closed the doff window to see 'SERVER NOT RESPONDING'. After 200 seconds I exited the game, waited a few minutes, then relaunched it. I didn't have any more problems after that for the rest of the day.

I heard that for some reason the devs decided to limit instances to 15 players max recently. I don't recall anything in the patch notes or even an announcement of this. If true that could be the problem. Perhaps the instance I was in got full and caused me to just lock up, then relaunching the game put me into a different instance with less players? I don't know. It sucked is all I can say.

Edit: I haven't had much issues with lag or FPS on most maps. However, the FPS on the ground map of the revamped 'The New Link' episode in the Cardassian arc was absolutely horrendous. I was getting less than 7FPS out of combat. In combat it was choppy as hell and I had to rely on auto-fire and my boffs because I just couldn't move around or do anything.

I still have FPS issues on Risa to this day as well as New Romulus Command. But that was a problem found during beta testing of season 10 and so far it was never fixed.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    ccs46 wrote: »

No our systems are completely different from each other.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    The one common thing seems to be that it's ground maps that lag the most.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Alpha channels, transparency maps, opacity, call it what you want but that imho is where the problem lies, whether it's their shaders that can't handle the sheer amount of "alpha's" they are using, or if it's their lighting that's having an adverse with all of it I don't know, but for me I only lose FPS on maps with a crapload of greenery, or a hell of a lot of glass.
  • Options
    Seems to be a memory leak or something on ESD, too. When I went to use the turbo-lift to go to the mezzanine, I noticed a spike in CPU usage, game went unresponsive for 20 sec. Never did that before.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    Ok so after an interesting day, running around several social zones, including Starfleet academy, ESD, Drozana and 30mins spent waiting for DS9 ground to load up. I can safely say something kinda funky is going on. I'm seeing FPS bounce around like a rubber ball. I've gone from seeing FPS of 60-70 this morning to 40ish this afternoon and as of typing this I'm barely seeing double digits on ESD and DS9. And this is regardless of graphics settings. I've currently got two GTX 760's configured in SLI and these were specific to Overclockers Uk. And from OCUK's in house testing these were outperforming the Titan cards.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    what is sad here is the fact that we have seen no developer come in here and at least acknowledge there is an issue and they are looking into it. I am sure there are alot of other players that do not even come to the forums that are having these problems too. Sure would be nice if they would look into this :neutral:
  • Options
    what is sad here is the fact that we have seen no developer come in here and at least acknowledge there is an issue and they are looking into it. I am sure there are alot of other players that do not even come to the forums that are having these problems too. Sure would be nice if they would look into this :neutral:

Frankly, I chalk it up purely to laziness on their part. The general impression the developers give off is that they simply do not give a flying *expletive deleted* about the bugs, so long as they're getting paid. If that impression is incorrect, then I say they should put their money where their mouth is and prove it.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    sqwished wrote: »
    Ok so after an interesting day, running around several social zones, including Starfleet academy, ESD, Drozana and 30mins spent waiting for DS9 ground to load up. I can safely say something kinda funky is going on. I'm seeing FPS bounce around like a rubber ball. I've gone from seeing FPS of 60-70 this morning to 40ish this afternoon and as of typing this I'm barely seeing double digits on ESD and DS9. And this is regardless of graphics settings. I've currently got two GTX 760's configured in SLI and these were specific to Overclockers Uk. And from OCUK's in house testing these were outperforming the Titan cards.​​
    well that could be the issue for you , i dont think STO works with SLI configurations very well , i run a single GTX 970 with no real issues like the ones your having . during high peek server issues i may see a little rubber banding in large mission instances IE 20man Fleet defence ETC.

• Options
    shanarrashanarra Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Getting Severe rubber banding issues with lag doing anything, anywhere, but especially doing the mirror event. Haven't done any other stf, so not sure if affecting other stf's or not, but it's happening everywhere in game for not only myself but other fleet/armada members. Major lag donating to fleet projects, moving anything in inventory bag, taking several minutes at times to change character. Having issue occasionally not being to invite people to team. Getting dc'd occasionally with map transfers, either can't transfer player container or timing out or just plain out dc'ing just sitting in space or on ground. This has been really bad since yesterday 11/22/2015, but even worse today - 11/23/2015. I saw another lag discussion was closed by Trendy, so posted here. Please fix this.. game play is totally frustrating and stressful trying to get any of my mirror runs completed. Using US server, here in central Texas, Time Warner Cable if that info helps any.
  • Options
    gravelynwolfgravelynwolf Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    k so i just started a few days ago and already iv gotten 1 multipal dcs plenty of rubberbanding and that couldent transfer player container thing iv been playing on a laptop with wifi(i dont get these issues in most of the other games i play) i havent incountered the annoying drop in fps yet however
    also installed the game via steam not sure if thats me issue with that player transfer thing
  • Options
    rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    I will keep this simple. Its a real quality of life in the game when you can not walk across the the room without server drops ever 2 mins.
  • Options
    torblstorbls Member Posts: 6 Arc User

Frankly, I chalk it up purely to laziness on their part. The general impression the developers give off is that they simply do not give a flying *expletive deleted* about the bugs, so long as they're getting paid. If that impression is incorrect, then I say they should put their money where their mouth is and prove it.

I have the same issue enoght said but my question is this are any of you people lifetime member. what if this problem is a trick to force free players to buy memebership has there been any opinion in this matter...just asking?

• Options
    torblstorbls Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    this lagging or servers issues prevents me from becoming a lifetime member I refuse to pay for services that will not be rendered as I desire....
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    torbls wrote: »

I have the same issue enoght said but my question is this are any of you people lifetime member. what if this problem is a trick to force free players to buy memebership has there been any opinion in this matter...just asking?

I'm a lifetimer, so no, I don't think it has anything to do with it. Just sloppy programming.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Ground maps are a prime issue, many including DS9 when loading the map, the inital load wil be super fast up till about 96%, than it becomes unresponsive according to the task manager, as the zone continues to load at a speed of about 0.03% per 60secs.

Now with that said, I experience heavy issues with Dyson ground when being there for any extended amount of time, as it has major issues with rendering properly inside the command center [usually everything starts whitening for awhile, than loads correctly], this is also where I tend to crash the most.

Also, if doing several ground queues, the same whitening of ground environments when returning to say ESD/New Rom/DS9/etc., will occur frequently leading to an eventual client crash as well.

Not to mention, GUI starts missing things when the above occurs as well, like items not displaying, skills in hotbar not displaying, doffs & doff assignments not displaying, etc.

Eventually they will render correctly, but the more ground environments visited, or in the case of Voth BZ, the longer it takes for them to render and eventually leads to a client crash [at least for myself].

Changes to gfx settings do nothing for me, changes to resolution do nothing as well, and switching from DX11 - DX9 actually causes the client to crash quicker when it does occur!

Now, my system is nothing fancy, but prior to S9 everything typically ran much smoother with little - no crashes!

W7 32bit Home premium OS [Now using W10 32bit home edition Nov. release update]

3GB Ram [4GB tuning performed, and has made a difference in regards to games like these, but only at prolonging potential client crashes]

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core processor 2.50 GHz

NVidia Geforce GTX 650 [current up to date driver, older drivers made no difference in relation to issues]
    Post edited by shadowwraith77 on
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    jeanluck4jeanluck4 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Same problems and this -> http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1207975/crash-game-and-graphics-no-finished , and i think lot's of people have it.

What is doing Cryptic? :*
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    jeanluck4 wrote: »
    Same problems and this -> http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1207975/crash-game-and-graphics-no-finished , and i think lot's of people have it.

What is doing Cryptic? :*

Let's see what happens with the server restart today. It might fix some of the issues. If not then back to the drawing board.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    No 7 YES, click, click ,click & hope it works & the server restart did nothing to help.
    Iv been having problems since the new traits came out.
    DPS down by 5-10k.