test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NX Class reboot

Hey, who else thinks it would be really cool for Cryptic to revamp the NX-Class, maybe give it a unique shield system that, instead of shields, is polarized hull plating? Maybe have some phase cannons and photonic torpedoes as available weapons? Does anyone else like the idea of flying a T6 NX with polarized hull plating instead of shields?

Comments

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    No.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,080 Community Moderator
    As fun as that could be... I don't see a T6 NX coming.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ktinga1ktinga1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    How come? I find the possibility of using an NX-class refit an interesting prospect. Or at least a ship inspired by the NX-cass, perhaps a scale up.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,080 Community Moderator
    Closest would probably be one of the Akira variants.

While in RL the Akira inspired the design of the NX for Enterprise, you could say that in universe the NX inspired the Akira.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,828 Arc User
    ktinga1 wrote: »
    How come? I find the possibility of using an NX-class refit an interesting prospect. Or at least a ship inspired by the NX-cass, perhaps a scale up.

Because it's probably a no-no like the Connie...plus I can't see Cryptic designing a system like that...it just wouldn't be effective...no matter how much resistance you may have, kinetic weapons are going to hit you for 100% damage...you're going to feel that.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    It may not be a no no...we just got a T6 Excelsior. However I'd like to see more Cryptic designs and less old tv show designs
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    I understand your sentiment, Khan. And everyone, what I'm suggesting is a time travel tie in to the Archer era through it. But I see where you're coming from.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

Because it's probably a no-no like the Connie...plus I can't see Cryptic designing a system like that...it just wouldn't be effective...no matter how much resistance you may have, kinetic weapons are going to hit you for 100% damage...you're going to feel that.

I understand that. I'm basically saying that the polarized hull plating is basically a shield-type apparatus, but it's called Polarized hull plating. Or, perhaps, it offers an increased damage resistance to Kinetic damage?
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Nope. Bortasq revamp first. Then some some romulan ship. Then the new series starts and we will need all of the ships from that show hah....
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Since my original Fed runs on an ENT theme, I'd love anything to do with updating the NX for higher tiers. That said, you can make a passable pseudo-NX from Akira variant parts, and ironically the new Terran Rep weapons (red beams and photons) are a very good visual match for 22nd-century weapons. Even the pistols have a nicely boxy look to them.

Mechanics wise, one common criticism of ENT is that the polarized hull seems to work in almost exactly the same way as shields - so other than headcanon, I'm not sure what renaming a mechanism would achieve. I suppose you could add a starship trait or console which would extend the duration of the existing Polarize Hull BOff power, but that's all I can think of...
  • Options
    I understand your sentiment, Khan. And everyone, what I'm suggesting is a time travel tie in to the Archer era through it. But I see where you're coming from.

Trust me I'd love to see more tv show stuff but I don't think it's in the cards. I have $30 reserves for when and endgame Connie enters the game
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    staq16 wrote: »
    Since my original Fed runs on an ENT theme, I'd love anything to do with updating the NX for higher tiers. That said, you can make a passable pseudo-NX from Akira variant parts, and ironically the new Terran Rep weapons (red beams and photons) are a very good visual match for 22nd-century weapons. Even the pistols have a nicely boxy look to them.

Mechanics wise, one common criticism of ENT is that the polarized hull seems to work in almost exactly the same way as shields - so other than headcanon, I'm not sure what renaming a mechanism would achieve. I suppose you could add a starship trait or console which would extend the duration of the existing Polarize Hull BOff power, but that's all I can think of...

One of my Feds runs on a TOS movie theme...made all that much better by a T6 Excelsior
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Trust me I'd love to see more tv show stuff but I don't think it's in the cards. I have $30 reserves for when and endgame Connie enters the game

And we all know what the answer to that will be.

I would personally love to get more Enterprise era stuff. Ent. MACO uniform, actual Phase Pistol, a plasma pistol from Broken Bow, that MACO rifle that taunts us on ESD...

Maybe even an actual NX interior.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    A Daedalus, or Oberth revamp would be better to make, as long as either are science type vessels.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Hey, who else thinks it would be really cool for Cryptic to revamp the NX-Class, maybe give it a unique shield system that, instead of shields, is polarized hull plating? Maybe have some phase cannons and photonic torpedoes as available weapons? Does anyone else like the idea of flying a T6 NX with polarized hull plating instead of shields?

There's already an science boff ability that is exactly what the NX class used for protection: Polarize Hull.
    Fine, I suppose for mid 22nd century Star Trek Universe, but that's 260+ year old technology for STO. Antiquated.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 528 Arc User
    I can see them Doing a T3 or a T4 NX Class Refit that can go along with the NX Class that was suppose to be from Star Trek Enterprise Season 5 if they had one
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    ryuranger wrote: »
    I can see them Doing a T3 or a T4 NX Class Refit that can go along with the NX Class that was suppose to be from Star Trek Enterprise Season 5 if they had one

Logically that would be a T1 while the NX had to be a small craft to keep any sense of progression pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2015
    I'd rather we got the Norway and Yeager. The only two missing DS9 ships.
    Then maybe the missing TNG ships at T4 or something (Challenger, Freedom, Springfield, New Orleans, Niagra, and the Olympic).
    Oh, and remove the Excelsior and any other TMP ship from the game altogether or set them as T1's.
    I wish DS9 had used the smaller TNG ships as cannon fodder rather than the Excelsiors or Mirandas, those things should have been hauling garbage by the DS9 era.

Sorry, I meant to say hauled away [i]as[/i] garbage.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    @artan42 It's sadly no news that STO has absolutely no sense of logic or progression in it's ship line-up in favour of the theme park mentality. That's fine for what it is but feels weird whenever the game pretends there is sense of temporal and technological advancement.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I'd rather we got the Norway and Yeager. The only two missing DS9 ships.
    Then maybe the missing TNG ships at T4 or something (Challenger, Freedom, Springfield, New Orleans, Niagra, and the Olympic).
    Oh, and remove the Excelsior and any other TMP ship from the game altogether or set them as T1's.
    I wish DS9 had used the smaller TNG ships as cannon fodder rather than the Excelsiors or Mirandas, those things should have been hauling garbage by the DS9 era.

Sorry, I meant to say hauled away as garbage.

Careful, you'll grow really hairy eyebrows and a brow ridge that'll scare away the ladies if ya keep that up.
    :)

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    @angrytarg I'd have expected T1&2 to be TNG ships and T3&4 to be DS9 ships with the rest filled in with Cryptics own brand ships with older TMP, TOS, and ENT ships strictly as costumes in time travel episodes or special low leval purchases.

@daveyny Of that's what it takes, to become Klingon, to remove the Excelsior, I say it's a worthy sacrifice. Though I'd have to kill myself afterwards due to the smell :D.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    @artan42 (wouldn't it be great if quoting someone would notify them?)
    @angrytarg I'd have expected T1&2 to be TNG ships and T3&4 to be DS9 ships with the rest filled in with Cryptics own brand ships with older TMP, TOS, and ENT ships strictly as costumes in time travel episodes or special low leval purchases.

"TNG-era" and "DS9-era" aren't that far apart. If you mean ships like the Akira, Norway et cetera, those were made for First Contact to "look old" next to the Sovereign, so those ships must have already been around during TNG. There's of course that transition from round to pointy that must have took place at some point, but I never felt there was clarity how, when and why when a Exelsior could still be reasonably retrofitted and refitted (though the Lakota was dubbed an exception already), and the Nova class was already kind of old and well known to Janeway, suggesting the designs must already be at last on the table well during TNG. One could argue the Akira, Sabre and Steamrunner belong to the "old guard" still and are actually post Ambassador, Galaxy-esque designs but that's not clear. To be honest, I think the First Contat ships were a mistake. They wanted to make everything new but it had to be old to not make the new Enterprise too ordinary. Meh.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    @angrytarg I'm almost a work now but I'll get us propper reply up to that tonight. But the Galaxy itself predates TNG S1E1 by a bit so it's at least five years between the newest TNG ship and the oldest DS9 ship.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @angrytarg I'm almost a work now but I'll get us propper reply up to that tonight. But the Galaxy itself predates TNG S1E1 by a bit so it's at least five years between the newest TNG ship and the oldest DS9 ship.

@artan42 sure thing. Star Trek just is weird in that regard. On the one end we see retro- and refitting of ships for some odd hundred years, on the other end ships get retired after ten years of service and are suddenly obsolete pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I kinda want to see the NX-refit Drexler did, but not at T6.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    captz1pp wrote: »
    A Daedalus, or Oberth revamp would be better to make, as long as either are science type vessels.

Riiiiiiiight, because the Feddies really need more Science ships, despite the fact they have 10 times as many as KDF...
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    It may not be a no no...we just got a T6 Excelsior. However I'd like to see more Cryptic designs and less old tv show designs

WAT?

Let's finish with canon designs then move forward.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,357 Arc User

Like the Ablative Armour Console, polarising the hull plating is power intensive, and just as in the series, would take longer to repair than shields. It's as simple as that, despite having 'miracle heals'. But the need for an updated version, well you already have the updated one designed to work with the tech you have now. On that point, it's good fun flying the NX with MK XIV equipment, I suggest you try that!
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @artan42 (wouldn't it be great if quoting someone would notify them?)

"TNG-era" and "DS9-era" aren't that far apart. If you mean ships like the Akira, Norway et cetera, those were made for First Contact to "look old" next to the Sovereign, so those ships must have already been around during TNG. There's of course that transition from round to pointy that must have took place at some point, but I never felt there was clarity how, when and why when a Exelsior could still be reasonably retrofitted and refitted (though the Lakota was dubbed an exception already), and the Nova class was already kind of old and well known to Janeway, suggesting the designs must already be at last on the table well during TNG. One could argue the Akira, Sabre and Steamrunner belong to the "old guard" still and are actually post Ambassador, Galaxy-esque designs but that's not clear. To be honest, I think the First Contat ships were a mistake. They wanted to make everything new but it had to be old to not make the new Enterprise too ordinary. Meh.​​

Well, speaking as someone who bought the TNG Technical manual (written by Rich Sternbach and Michael Okuda) way back in 1991/92, the Nova class design name is at the end of the book as a possible post-galaxy class design. Also, the Galaxy class development started a good 15 years prior to the launch of the Enterprise D, so there would have been a lot of ships with a similar styling to the Galaxy class in service by the 2370s when the Sovereign class is launched. Ships that started their development before the Galaxy class and after it. Voyager has quite a bit of the Galaxy class biological contours aesthetic. The Nova class, is somewhere in-between the Galaxy and Sovereign class design aesthetics.
    Don't tell me this isn't canon. If the ship designers for the show wrote the book and designed a lot of the ships, it's canon.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco