test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please add bridge commander combat

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
I was playing Star Trek Online the other day and I thought to myself hey it would be fun if you could do combat from your ships bridge like in the game bridge commander so please add bridge commander combat to Star Trek Online very soon maybe next week thanks fyi this is a joke

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Comments

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I was playing Minesweeper the other day. Can that get added, too?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    I was playing Minesweeper the other day. Can that get added, too?

yes please maybe tomorrow

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Lol nagus must be bored. At least throw in the request for ingame poker...used to be a damn near daily request then disappeared for some reason.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I was playing [insert any Bioware RPG] sometime ago and can we please have romanceable (?) companions ? NOW ??? o:)
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    How un-thegrandnagus1 like of a post. Nervous break down? Super duper bored? Too much to drink? Account TRIBBLE by a cat?

I'm going with account TRIBBLE by a cat.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Game engine won't allow it.

Besides... I think this is about ready to be added to the FCT because this subject seems to come up every once in a while.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I was playing Star Trek Online the other day and I thought to myself hey it would be fun if you could do combat from your ships bridge like in the game bridge commander so please add bridge commander combat to Star Trek Online very soon maybe next week thanks fyi this is a joke

But you can have it. Just turn your graphics settings all of the way down. Then it will be just like playing Bridge Commander. From outside of your ship.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Game engine won't allow it.

Besides... I think this is about ready to be added to the FCT because this subject seems to come up every once in a while.

While this is a joke of a post, I don't think they actually came out and said it was an engine limited but more of it being not feasible to do or pull off.

Very long time ago I read the official reason so you could be right though, and no, I don't feel like using this pain in the rear search to look for it.

Edit: Actually it's in the F.C.T.

"However, what I have said in the past, and will repeat now, is that our game, as it stands today, is not set up for this at all. It's not an engine limitation per se, and it's not because our engine is old. It's because it's not how the game was designed. Again, possible, but not probable." - Tacofangs
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    qjunior wrote: »
    I was playing [insert any Bioware RPG] sometime ago and can we please have romanceable (?) companions ? NOW ??? o:)
    Only if we can get same gender romance and non-traditional genders, too! It's the 21st century, we shouldn't play according to archaic socially proscribed constructs!

Also, giant robots.
    mwo-announcement-epl-1031.jpg
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I am not romancing giant robots
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User

They already, and clearly stated a long while back that this would never happen.
    7aamriW.png
  • juanvenkatjuanvenkat Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    In short, we'd have to put in work, without being able to sell it after.

If you look at the admirality system, that's the target work/profit balance.

1D text windows with no animations and no models and in turn we expect you to buy every ship in the entire game, I mean it doesn't get anymore low budget than that.

Playing from the bridge and especially piloting from the bridge could be done so easily it's tragic but it's an ACTUAL mechanic that requires ACTUAL work, you'd then have to give away for free.

If you can't put it into a 1D text window with a paywall, it's not happening.

The game should have, 3D in space and 3D in combat, it ought to have exploration, meaningful and with all respect mature topics of philosophy and politics, red alert system, holodocks I mean the list goes on and on.

But no doubt, if you asked 100,000 star trek players what are the no. 1 things they'd expect from a star trek game, NONE of it is in STO.

Not even canon either
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    *Fondly remembers the Shepard/Alenko moments. Especially when Kaidan couldn't put John's name up on the board after he was lost.*
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Afterwards, please add player crews. Thanks!
    Post edited by avantgarde01 on
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    OK... Who Bonk, Bonked The Grand Nagus on the head and took over his forum account???
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    I played Turok the other day, could we please fight Dinosaurs? Maybe even Dinosaurs with Lasers? Two years ago, please!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Not what I had in mind... But now that it's in my mind, it's not leaving. Come on, you want it too.
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    I played Turok the other day, could we please fight Dinosaurs? Maybe even Dinosaurs with Lasers? Two years ago, please!
    Pick a response:
    1. I hate temporal mechanics.
    2. Be careful what you wish for.
    3. See, Cryptic does listen.
    4. Turko, isn't that like, prehistoric?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    ....... Nagus, who hurt you so bad that you felt you needed to resort to such base and blatant trolling?
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    What spoiled the OP is that the forum background is not entirely black. Can that be fixed before Nagus posted?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Asked for LONG ago, and PWE/Cryptic basically said it would require a rebuild of how the game is done, so don't hold your breath.

Edit:and ya got me. Well played.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »

Asked for LONG ago, and PWE/Cryptic basically said it would require a rebuild of how the game is done, so don't hold your breath.

Edit:and ya got me. Well played.

Bada-Bing Bada-Boom...

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Lol nagus must be bored. At least throw in the request for ingame poker...used to be a damn near daily request then disappeared for some reason.

Serious request here for in game poker. also Tongo.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Isn't asking for "implement bridge combat" a bannable offense? pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I played Fallout 4, Aion, Destiny, Halo 4&5, Blade and Soul, World of Warships, Armored Warfare, and a non-eroge Romance Visual Novel. I now demand Cryptic upgrades their game to be able to rival all these so I don't have to keep returning to them. Preferably on the CryEngine, and released in time for Christmas on PC, PS4, and XBone. Wii U users get to stay out in the cold.

From Fallout 4 would come large exploration areas with random encounters and objects to scan, steal, salvage, negotiate, craft, and use. And setting up colonies instead of settlements that provide a regular EC income per day.

From Destiny would come even more exploration of the same zones, random zone events, surprise enemy spawns, and a cash shop that sells mo-capped emotes.

From Halo 4 would come powered armor and the ability for our ships to ram smaller ships while at full health and 1HKO'ing them. From Halo 5 would come the ability to call in single-use special weapon and equipment drops while on the ground. I insist that Lifers get unlimited weekly Requisition packs that let them call in the big guns more regularly, while free players have to pay Dil or Zen for Requisition packs.

From Aion would come winged races and magic redone as magitech.

From Blade and Soul would come better melee combat; magic elements will be replaced by magitech. Also, more oriental facial options just because. Maybe some oriental clothing too; so I can either be a chinese dress-wearing femme fatale Science Captain or a kimono-wearing samurai Tactical Captain when visiting non-combat areas, with my Fleet logo on the back of my kimono.

From Devilian would come... I don't know; probably a power mode that requires you filling up a bar then triggering. Except in this case you get a nanomachine rush and become a super soldier. Because you're now a rampaging nanomachine being that rivals Iconian Brutes, your teammates retreat to avoid getting hurt. But you do more DPS than all of them and your normal self combined anyway.

From Armored Warfare comes armored vehicle combat on the ground, because we must have ground vehicles and vehicular combat. Because powered armor combat, nanomachine hulk combat, and calling in one-time use special weapons isn't enough.

From World of Warships comes NAVAL combat. Not just in space. But in the water too! Because that's always more awesome. Wargames on Risa's water and other water planets! Entirely skill-based! No power creep but better ships at better tiers!

From the Visual Novel would come with multiple romance options in the text-based format Cryptic loves, and with the convenience of fade to black scenes for any potentially implied intimacy. No, they weren't getting intimate; they were just turning out the light and cuddling because they're afraid of the dark.

I demand all this and more in Star Trek Online, and I demand it using the CryEngine. Accept nothing less. Make it so!
    Post edited by hyperionx09 on
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I'd settle for mini-golf on Risa.
    boldly-watched.png
  • thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    *snip*

I was looking for this type of response. Also the OP got me for a few seconds before I noticed there is some black noise after the last sentence.
    Gameserver not found.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

That is so speciesist.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    *snip*

I was looking for this type of response. Also the OP got me for a few seconds before I noticed there is some black noise after the last sentence.

I do hope you recognized mine was set in the same humorous vein with a tiny bit of seriousness.