What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Featured Episode: Stormbound

Comments

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    This Thursday or next week?

> "We're happy to announce our newest Featured Episode coming this Thursday entitled "Stormbound""

> "In just a couple weeks, enjoy our latest featured episode, “Stormbound”! "

Still waiting for someone to clarify this then ?

I guess we'll find out Thursday :)

Maybe they're fixing bugs and don't know whether they'll finish in time.

Works for me! :D

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    zeatrex wrote: »
    It's funny, because if Cryptic did actually try to do something original you would still be complaining about it either way.

Not really. Depends on what it is.​​
    Certainly - but I think something completely new can be screwed up or done well just as much as something we already know from Star Trek.

Personally, the Temporal Cold War is a symptom of a fundamental problem of Star Trek - time travel is too common and easy. I am not against using time travel for a story, but by canon, basically every warp capable ship can travel in the past and muck things up. And that's just one way. And it also seems canonical that time travel becomes even more common in the future, so common that there is basically a Time Policy that ensures that time travel isn't used too much. But unfortunately, I think at that point, the whole setting becomes inconsistent and unbelievable.

But it is what it is - part of Star Trek. And maybe revisiting the ENT Cold War plot-line Cryptic can actually create a consistent timeline and make some sense out of it.

But if I had the choice, I'd probably prefer a new story line - in the vein of exploration, let's go out there and meet more new people. And raise the writing level of the story, create complex scenarios, create moral and ethical dilemmas and some morality tales. STO is lacking in that regard.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    [snip] And raise the writing level of the story, create complex scenarios, create moral and ethical dilemmas and some morality tales. STO is lacking in that regard.

Well the last time Cryptic tried to create a compelling ethical dilemma, a bunch of players decided that the genocide of the Kobali was the way to go.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    The blog says "A couple of weeks" but since you guys usually patch on Thursday and a couple of weeks means a Thursday that is the U.S. Holiday of 'Thanksgiving' - are we going to get the new FE patched in this coming Thursday, or will you do a special Tuesday or Wednesday patch as I can't believe anyone with the Cryptic Dev team would be in the office on Thanksgiving; and while I'm sure your data center still has people earning major holiday OT pay on that day, and could probably load up and deploy said patch; since for most in the U.S. 'Thanksgiving is a 4 day holiday (most not in retail have both Thursday and Friday off followed by the weekend) - I don't see you deploying a patch like that on Thanksgiving (11/26/15).

So, is the blog incorrect or are we seeing the new FE deployed to Live prior to the Thanksgiving holiday?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    [snip] And raise the writing level of the story, create complex scenarios, create moral and ethical dilemmas and some morality tales. STO is lacking in that regard.
    Well the last time Cryptic tried to create a compelling ethical dilemma, a bunch of players decided that the genocide of the Kobali was the way to go.​​
    Well story writing with ethical dilemmas probably works best if you can change the ending based on the choice.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Hoping for a Tholian Boff.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Maybe it's a couple weeks from next Thursday?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited November 2015

But killing the Kobali isn't genocide! They are already dead! They are just zombies!

Mustrum "Step 1 for Genocide: Dehumanize* your opponentsvictims." Ridcully

*)that's speciest.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    There is a rather obvious way to maintain the Kobali way of life without their need to commit acts of grave robbery.

Cloning.

Clone the body of living individuals who are willing to participate in a program, but don't animate the clone's body. Hey presto, one instant quasi-cadaver for the Kobali to metamorphose. If there were worries about similarities to living individuals, the clones have alterations to their genomes to ensure diversity and discomfort between the source and their family and friends... and that of the host.
  • Options
    There is a rather obvious way to maintain the Kobali way of life without their need to commit acts of grave robbery.

Cloning.

Clone the body of living individuals who are willing to participate in a program, but don't animate the clone's body. Hey presto, one instant quasi-cadaver for the Kobali to metamorphose. If there were worries about similarities to living individuals, the clones have alterations to their genomes to ensure diversity and discomfort between the source and their family and friends... and that of the host.

I don't think cloning ever worked like that in Star Trek - that you'd need an "animation" process. It would definitely not work that way in real life. Cloning is a process that creates and requires a living organism.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    For as long as we don't need to hear the crappy V.O. talent that played the Cardassian, I'm good. Seriously Cryptic, quit using the interns and other employees as V.O. talent.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    For as long as we don't need to hear the crappy V.O. talent that played the Cardassian, I'm good. Seriously Cryptic, quit using the interns and other employees as V.O. talent.

Seriously, i like that cardassian V.O. If you think that one in Sunrise.
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    tomilak wrote: »
    If they keep pressing the time travel bit in the game they will get a visit from Temporal Investigations some day LOL

Hmm, Temporal Investigations uniforms, anyone? Or a Temporal reputation?
  • Options
    star23456star23456 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    siotaylor wrote: »
    tomilak wrote: »
    If they keep pressing the time travel bit in the game they will get a visit from Temporal Investigations some day LOL

Hmm, Temporal Investigations uniforms, anyone? Or a Temporal reputation?

Mark XIV Temporal Torpedeo that deals 10000000 Kinetic Damage on every target in a 10 km area maybe?
    Then they nerf it to 1000 Kinetic Damage in a 1 km area
    giphy.gif

• Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User

They did. Didn't you notice the improvement in Voice Talent during those last few missions?
    I think Cryptic is required to use actor's guild voice actors now or something like that.
    So they can't use inhouse employees anymore unless those employees are specifically (voice) actors.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    Vogons! vogons-buena-vista1.jpg

I love ENT season 4, beginning of the Federation and Earth-Romulan War is one of the most important in Star Trek lore. Shame, no season 5+.
    johnnymo1 wrote: »
    I would love to go back plant the ship for Archer to find. If we are going to play in the Enterprise era, can we really jump the shark and have to protect archer a few times, and get some M.A.C.O. uniforms, weapons, and the Enterprise phase pistols. I liked the early mission in the game where TOS Enterprise does come into a fight to help the player, I can't see the NX Enterprise coming into the fight to help protect the level 60 player in their Fleet T6 ship. An episode set early in enterprise could be cool. You unleash all your weapons on the enemy and Malcolm still hasn't managed to get the torpedoes to hit a target yet, then Trip overloads the phase cannon to fire off beam overload 1, crippling the Enterprise so now you need to protect them. That could be a kind of cool episode, and Daniels could contact you during the fight.

I can see that happening
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    I would love to go back to ENT times. I enjoyed the show and couldnt wait for more, granted the last episoe was a wtf in the face but, whatever. Time traveling is exploring. its just not as big as you thought.
  • Options
    bigrocksbigrocks Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    ;)
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    The new mission "Stormbound" comes out tomorrow.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    So glad we found out in the patch notes that this is happening tomorrow, along with the trait revamp...I got this funny nagging feeling someone screwed some blogs this week.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    No news on the rewards yet?​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    The rewards are a T9 17/5 Defiant with pilot maneuvers, an iWin console (week two), _and_ fiiiiive bucks! (week three).

S'Truth!
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »
    The rewards are a T9 17/5 Defiant with pilot maneuvers, an iWin console (week two), _and_ fiiiiive bucks! (week three).

S'Truth!

Riiiiiiight.. i believe this is the time where i ask you to share whatever it was you've been drinking or smoking.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    tinyfisted wrote: »

S'Truth!
    Riiiiiiight.. i believe this is the time where i ask you to share whatever it was you've been drinking or smoking.​​
    Are you sure you want something that powerful?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    *grin* I'm high on life. (Actually Fallout 4, but it's all good.)
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    lordbrowaruslordbrowarus Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    OMG Cryptic, this mission was far worse than Butterfly...
    This is the single worst mission design in all STO. Why? because whole mission is "Oh no!":
    1. Hey, it's your Chancellor, (missing VO) your friend from future contacted me (because we're buddies) and ask you to meet him.
    2. Hi, Kal Dano here, let's kill 2 Tholian ships!
    3. Oh no, they have my quantum inhibitor and want to destroy star, no one knows why, let's kill 2 more Tholian ships.
    4. Oh no, they have my quantum inhibitor and want to destroy star, no one knows why, let's kill 2 more Tholian ships.
    5. Oh no, they have my quantum inhibitor and want to destroy star, no one knows why, let's kill 5 more Tholian ships.
    6. Oh no, we killed everybody except ship where inhibitor is and they destroyed a star.
    7. Let's board them!
    8. Put EV suits on your boffs! But they are not here, they spawned outside the shuttle! No matter, they allright.
    9. Tox Uthat is right ahead. Well, its in the room on left actually, but who cares?
    10. Bury Tox Uthat on risa in pile of sand!
    11. No, thats not good enough, try that pile of sand 5 metters to the right...
    12. No, thats not good enough, try that pile of sand 5 metters to the left...
    13. Ok, that pile of sand is very good, great job! Let's get back!
    14. Hey guys! Your star is dying, sorry, we can help you in future, but for now bye, bye...
    15. No! Let's mandatory kill some more Tholian ships.
    16. Oh no! Kal Dano fall into time vortex...
    17. Hi, I'm new here from 27th century, let's kill some more Tholian ships together!
    18. Now, beam to my temporal 27th century ship and help me find Kal Dano, because I'm the only person onboard and there are three consoles...
    19. Now, let me summarize ENT episode if you havn't seen it.
    20. Bye, bye, mission finished!

Add massive amount of VO missing...
    Only good thing is that one can finished it in 4 minutes...
    Very lame Cryptic. And where is all that exploration that season 11 was supoused to be all about?
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    A mediocre episode that didn't make much sense.
    - A time ship from the distant future that cannot withstand an attack from a few primitive Tholian ships is like a modern missile destroyer not being able to defend against 17th century gunboats.
    - Kal Dano has a time ship. Why wouldn't he go back in time to warn himself about the Tholians stealing the device?
    - Why do we have to burry the device in the 22nd century on Risa if we could destroy it right here, right now? Picard could so why can't we?
    - Can the Tholians somehow detect the device if it's not hidden in the 22nd century on Risa? Why not in the 23rd century? Why not Vulcan, Andor, Bajor or Cardassia?
    - Why would a temporal ship travel into the past to destroy some Tholian ships attacking ME if that could mean a complete disruption of his own timeline?
    - Why is Kal Dano sucked into a time vortex and why doesn't he survive the trip and make it back?
    - Why are we detecting Kal Dano centuries AFTER he arrived in the past and beam back his corpse? Why not at the very moment of his arrival in the past?
  • Options
    dracondarknightdracondarknight Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I found a time paradox too...

The story was moved to 2410 a while ago, after that the iconian war took place which supposedly lasted for five years. - Thus by the time of the episode it would be 2415.

Yet Kal Dano says 'Returning us to 2410'