What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Featured Episode: Stormbound

Comments

• Options
    boweninugamiboweninugami Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I like we're getting new missions that are pretty darn good. Midnight is still my favorite.

On one hand I like how they're tying all these plotlines from across the canon together. The Tox Uthat, the Iconians, the Delta Quadrant. Even seeing a Sphere Builder made me grin.

But on the other, I hope they don't keep tossing Time Travel out every season. Once in a while is fine.

Also @thelittlestguy good find. I knew Kal's ship looked familiar.
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Lear: I once read a report about Daniels how he came from the future to prevent temporal incursions and how he assisted Captain Archer and his crew. And then there's the incident on Risa, where Cap. Picard encountered the Vorgons from the future.

For me, first it was the Devidian and their temporal incursion into the past, then there's was that little side trip to Ancient Iconia. And now this mess, "sigh" I have to say its really getting old. But what can you do... although, some time in the far future history will repeat itself. I'm just glad I won't be there in the 31st century but, what I have seen in the past years of my life is that anything is possible... and that's what worries me.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I also support doing a Temporal Cold War arc. Like others have said, I think the Temporal Cold War was fine in concept, but bad in execution. I think Cryptic can do it well. Cryptic’s great storytelling strength is finding ways to connect different elements of lore together. Having a concentrated time travel arc gives them a chance to do that. I felt Sunrise shows their strength.

I think its clear that the reason time travel is happening so much lately is purposeful and the best option. The Krenim were used both to get a popular species/ship into the game and to transition to the Temporal Cold War. We have a ship that can send us far across time, easily. The new arc isn’t time travel again. It's is a continuing part of the time travel heavy section of the game. If Cryptic put time travel two to four times in every single story arc, it might feel overused. And the reasons for it happening again might feel contrived. But using it heavily in one section means we only need explanation: We’ve gotten involved in a time war.

This gives Cryptic a prime opportunity to get TOS actors (who are getting up in years -- we’ve already lost three of the regulars) into the games and have our characters “actually” meet those characters. Sure, having them appear in a holodeck simulation would have players “actually” meet them as much as using time travel, but I think it would feel different within the narrative. (Remember Sisko breaking the rules to meet Kirk? It was just a TV show, but would it feel the same to viewers had we seen Sisko approach a Kirk simulation at Quark’s? The visuals would have been the same, but not the experience.) This also gives an opportunity to get ENT actors, although they obviously aren’t as old. I don’t know what the 50th Anniversary mission will be, but a story crossing eras, especially connecting to the TOS era, seems appropriate. So this is an ideal time for time travel.

After this arc is over, then time travel should become rare again. Not banned forever, but far less common.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,523 Arc User
    This Thursday or next week?

> "We're happy to announce our newest Featured Episode coming this Thursday entitled "Stormbound""

> "In just a couple weeks, enjoy our latest featured episode, “Stormbound”! "
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User

> "We're happy to announce our newest Featured Episode coming this Thursday entitled "Stormbound""

Yep im still confused on this as well, someone else might be even more confused then us.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    hamishmacdoogalhamishmacdoogal Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Hmm...
    If this story arc is just the re-hash of the cold war/find it on Risa stuff, I'd be pretty disappointed. After all, that's pretty much established as to where the device ends up, who finds it, what happens to Kal Dano and so forth. We know it doesn't stay in the hands of the Tholians. On the flip side, if this is an excuse to introduce additional Trek actors to do voices, that would be worth it.

Like the rest of the STO galaxy, I'm tired of time travel shennanigans. New dawn promised us EXPLORATION. I want to explore the Gamma quadrant! There is a lot of fresh untouched stuff there for writers to go crazy with. The delta quadrant is still open for more exploration and I couldn't help but notice a lot more stars with names appearing in the so-called Alpha quadrant.

yes I know - we still have to have epic ship battles and factions of foes to vaporize with all the new skills and abilities being rolled out, and its hard to build a map that won't be completely explored in 2 hours by somebody. Perhaps if the map was expanded in monthly installments? Just letting ideas rattle around.

• Options
    oktoberfest2dispoktoberfest2disp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Time travel is fine. Like all plot conveyor belts it is hot phlebotinum served with unobtainium gravy. As long as it's a fun diversion, who cares which trope they use? And considering we actually fly time ships inside this game, I'd say it's an established norm. Even a good percentage of overall Trek books are time travel stories. Disclaimer: I want more time travel adventures in STO.

Mirror, Mirror warns against a future where a Terran Empire ravages the galaxy led by the ISS Enterprise.
    In the 2000s, the biggest space station we build is called the ISS.
    I am concerned.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'd be pretty excited if it ends up being "us" that returns Kal Dano's time pod to the future.
    Ok sure, some say they should do something new, But personally I'm pretty excited when I feel like my character is sort of a part of the Star Trek universe and legacy.
    I mean imagine going back and re-watching that episode and then think.... that was me that did it! Well not really.. but yeah.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Again with the time travel? It's becoming a crutch.

A cool time traveling crutch. :smiley:
    41YeHFRiP2L._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg
    When this baby hits .88 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious *bleep*

Or :: mumbles :: we could just do it the Star Trek way.
    latest?cb=20071031003733&path-prefix=en

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    dalolorn wrote: »
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Remember the Enterprise episode where they find the guy in the capsule and the Tholians want the little ship that was bigger on the inside? I wonder if this is linked to that? If I recall, the DNA from the shriveled up mummy they found contained several different races. Maybe this Kal Dano becomes the shriveled up mummy? In his attempt to hide the device, he gets caught and dies. Or maybe that was his plan. But somehow Captain Archer found the little ship. Well, if it is a continuation of that story line, at least it's connected to one of the series.

Well, there was no reference to Terrellian or Rigelian DNA in Sunrise, but... to be honest, this makes sense. Somehow, in the next episode or two, Kal Dano will die and the Tox Uthat will be hidden on Risa - by him, by us, or both. Two birds with one stone.

According to Memory Alpha, Kal Dano hides it on Risa. I'd call that pretty solid verification. :)

Oooh, nice. According to TNG, he goes back to NX-Enterprise times to do it, so maybe we get to meet someone from ENT.
    Shh...
    139?cb=20121103120401&path-prefix=de
    :#

• Options
    I'd be pretty excited if it ends up being "us" that returns Kal Dano's time pod to the future.
    Ok sure, some say they should do something new, But personally I'm pretty excited when I feel like my character is sort of a part of the Star Trek universe and legacy.
    I mean imagine going back and re-watching that episode and then think.... that was me that did it! Well not really.. but yeah.

I'm fairly positive that's where Cryptic going pull the story towards to. Kal Dano somehow "kicks the bucket" trying to do something, the Enterprise finds and retrieves the pod (ENT:Future Tense), manages to activate the "transmitter" and then we or somebody else bring him back. Well... something close to that and hey who knows.

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Again with the time travel? It's becoming a crutch.

A cool time traveling crutch. :smiley:
    41YeHFRiP2L._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg
    When this baby hits .88 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious *bleep*

That thing looks like it's packing some heat. Disguised phaser rifle? ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Shh...
    139?cb=20121103120401&path-prefix=de
    :#

Empress Sato!
    Do you see a bellybutton? I don't see a bellybutton. That's regular Hoshi.

Here's the Empress with her Imperial Navel talent.
    ENT_4x19_004.jpg
    The Alternate Universe Rules
    1) All men have goatees.
    2) All woman show off their navels.

• Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Remember the Enterprise episode where they find the guy in the capsule and the Tholians want the little ship that was bigger on the inside? I wonder if this is linked to that? If I recall, the DNA from the shriveled up mummy they found contained several different races. Maybe this Kal Dano becomes the shriveled up mummy? In his attempt to hide the device, he gets caught and dies. Or maybe that was his plan. But somehow Captain Archer found the little ship. Well, if it is a continuation of that story line, at least it's connected to one of the series.

Tholian transmission: skreeechh...zzzztl...skreeee...give us the vessel...

That was my thought after playing the mission, Kal Dano's personal log would seem to confirm it. I've watched that episode a few times since my first play through and Kal certainty looks like the mummified remains. Daniels would know for sure but my money is on a reactor breach in Ka Dano's ship ending the next mission with Daniels making a cameo telling us to set thing up for the Enterprise (TV) episode.

I HATE TEMPORAL MECHANICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I still hate the temporal cold war too! Gods that was stupid!)
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Time travel has been a part of Star Trek since the beginning. Kirk has time travelled several times. The ship went back in time in the episode The Naked Time after cold starting the engines, in Tomorrow is Yesterday by pulling away from a black star, the Guardian of Forever time travelled Kirk in City On the edge of Forever, they went back in time in Assignment Earth and again in All our Yesterdays via the atavachron.
    there are 12 episodes of TNG that feature time travel. 11 from DS9. 12 from Voyager. 10 from Enterprise.
    In the movies they time travelled in Voyage Home, Generations, First Contact (and time travel was featured in the reboot).

Exactly, they don't call it "To boldly go, where no man has gone before" for nothing!

Even the traveller that came aboard the Enterprise D, was just a stepping stone into the possible future for humanity to explore.

Heck, even the Q believed it possible that humans, will one day be exploring beyond simple space flight and warping from point A - B.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Time travel has been a part of Star Trek since the beginning. Kirk has time travelled several times. The ship went back in time in the episode The Naked Time after cold starting the engines, in Tomorrow is Yesterday by pulling away from a black star, the Guardian of Forever time travelled Kirk in City On the edge of Forever, they went back in time in Assignment Earth and again in All our Yesterdays via the atavachron.
    there are 12 episodes of TNG that feature time travel. 11 from DS9. 12 from Voyager. 10 from Enterprise.
    In the movies they time travelled in Voyage Home, Generations, First Contact (and time travel was featured in the reboot).

Yes, we know. It's been done to death. That's kinda what people are getting at.... Cryptic has a unique opportunity to work from a clean slate and do something original with the story. Instead, they're falling back on tired old tropes that have been done to death IMO.​​
    I am not really a fan of the temporal cold war or the mirror universe - but they are part of Star Trek. The game is basically a themepark MMO, and that means they will revisit as many themes from Star Trek as they can.
    A clean slate also means "no Trek themes" anymore, and I think a lot of Trek fans would miss that. And for people that don't know much about Trek - it's just another story, they won't know the difference.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Yes, we know. It's been done to death. That's kinda what people are getting at.... Cryptic has a unique opportunity to work from a clean slate and do something original with the story. Instead, they're falling back on tired old tropes that have been done to death IMO.​​
    It's funny, because if Cryptic did actually try to do something original you would still be complaining about it either way. I can see it now, Cryptic tries to do something original for once and then everyone attacks Cryptic for not making it look "Star Trekish".

I mean seriously, do you people ever sit down and think before you actually type things down?
    How many times has Crytpic added something different and you all lose your minds over it? I mean to everyone, if a ship in the game doesn't has a big TRIBBLE saucer slapped to it - it isn't "Star Treksih" and should be taken out the game. This is the same for whatever content is added to the game. Now Cryptic trying to go with full "Star Trekish" on this new featured missions and yet again...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!

You people still complaining!
    Lord have mercy, when will the complaining ever stop? Seriously, less complaining more gaming!
  • Options
    rhodgherrhodgher Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    It's funny, because if Cryptic did actually try to do something original you would still be complaining about it either way. I can see it now, Cryptic tries to do something original for once and then everyone attacks Cryptic for not making it look "Star Trekish".

I mean seriously, do you people ever sit down and think before you actually type things down?
    How many times has Crytpic added something different and you all lose your minds over it? I mean to everyone, if a ship in the game doesn't has a big TRIBBLE saucer slapped to it - it isn't "Star Treksih" and should be taken out the game. This is the same for whatever content is added to the game. Now Cryptic trying to go with full "Star Trekish" on this new featured missions and yet again...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!

Lord have mercy, when will the complaining ever stop? Seriously, less complaining more gaming!

What he says.

When Cryptic really is ties in STO experience with Start Trek lore?
    In one word: WOW
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    The Temporal Cold War arc on "Enterprise" was just awful IMO. There is a reason that show got cancelled.... please, no more time travel. Is this Star Trek Online or Doctor Who Online?​​

Time travel wasn't the reason Enterprise was cancelled in my opinion. Poor pacing and too much messing around with the formula were the biggest issues.

I think Season 3 was the worst... it had a poorly paced plot arc. Every single episode followed on from the next and there were no filler episodes. On TV, even in a tight arc... you need to give the audience breathing space or you'll choke them. I remeber seeing the finale of that episode and thinking "thank goodness the Xindi arc is over, that was getting too onerous"... and then they did a cliff-hangar to carry it on into the next series. NOOOOOOOO!

It should be noted that in the final season, Enterprise seemed to have found its voice and hit its stride. The Vulcan trilogy and the Romulan drone stories in particular were the high points of the series for me.

But then I don't think TNG truly got going until the cliff-hanger episode in Best of Both Worlds. That was the game-changer, that was the moment it planted a flag and said to the world... "I'm here and you'd better take notice!"

We've allowed television networks to become impatient with TV shows and caused them to demand instant success, rather than fostering seasoned growth. This is a bad thing.
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    It should be noted that in the final season, Enterprise seemed to have found its voice and hit its stride. The Vulcan trilogy and the Romulan drone stories in particular were the high points of the series for me.

Oh yes, I love Season 4 of Enterprise and I'm still bitter that it didn't get more seasons. Those last few episodes when we see the Enterprise leading a formation of Vulcan, Andorian and Tellarite ships gives me goosebumps every single time I re-watch them. It's a shame we never got the Earth-Romulan War and witnessed the actual formation of the Federation.
    We've allowed television networks to become impatient with TV shows and caused them to demand instant success, rather than fostering seasoned growth. This is a bad thing.

I know, people drop shows after watching only one or two episodes now. It's ridiculous. We're definitely living in a world of ADD/ADHD where if something doesn't grab you right away your attention wanders to something else.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Vogons! vogons-buena-vista1.jpg

Oh yes, I love Season 4 of Enterprise and I'm still bitter that it didn't get more seasons. Those last few episodes when we see the Enterprise leading a formation of Vulcan, Andorian and Tellarite ships gives me goosebumps every single time I re-watch them. It's a shame we never got the Earth-Romulan War and witnessed the actual formation of the Federation.
    I love ENT season 4, beginning of the Federation and Earth-Romulan War is one of the most important in Star Trek lore. Shame, no season 5+.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    tmassx wrote: »
    Vogons! vogons-buena-vista1.jpg

I love ENT season 4, beginning of the Federation and Earth-Romulan War is one of the most important in Star Trek lore. Shame, no season 5+.

It may be not true but I heard they're trying to bring back ENT for a 5th season. Though it's unlikely it will happen. I'd be glad if it did happen. :D
    Post edited by alchevsk1992 on

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User

Still waiting for someone to clarify this then ?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,267 Arc User
    If they keep pressing the time travel bit in the game they will get a visit from Temporal Investigations some day LOL
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    zeatrex wrote: »
    It's funny, because if Cryptic did actually try to do something original you would still be complaining about it either way.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. Either way, you have absolutely no idea whether the 1 specific person you are replying to would complain about some hypothetical story Cryptic might make.

Complaining about other people complaining is still complaining, so you are just as guilty as anyone else.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,523 Arc User

Still waiting for someone to clarify this then ?

I guess we'll find out Thursday :)

Maybe they're fixing bugs and don't know whether they'll finish in time.
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I would love to go back plant the ship for Archer to find. If we are going to play in the Enterprise era, can we really jump the shark and have to protect archer a few times, and get some M.A.C.O. uniforms, weapons, and the Enterprise phase pistols. I liked the early mission in the game where TOS Enterprise does come into a fight to help the player, I can't see the NX Enterprise coming into the fight to help protect the level 60 player in their Fleet T6 ship. An episode set early in enterprise could be cool. You unleash all your weapons on the enemy and Malcolm still hasn't managed to get the torpedoes to hit a target yet, then Trip overloads the phase cannon to fire off beam overload 1, crippling the Enterprise so now you need to protect them. That could be a kind of cool episode, and Daniels could contact you during the fight.