test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance [November 12th, 2015]

Comments

• bigrocksbigrocks Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    RAWWWWWRRR! Gimme back my game you desk jockey trolls! I'm joking, dont destroy me. :)
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    The team is extending our maintenance window to 11:30 as we test out a new fix for the map issue.

Khannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    The team is extending our maintenance window to 11:30 as we test out a new fix for the map issue.

Thanks for the update.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    come on chaps give them some slack this week. They've been doing well lately.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• helpdeskmanhelpdeskman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy

The players in GMT+2-> are losing one day to get the mirror event filled, are you going to extend it by one day to compensate for that?
    No, they are losing three hours of a 24 hour day.

Maintenance comes every week, 52 weeks a year. Why is there always someone who is surprised by this?

I am losing effectively one day, as I study during the day so I can get on STO in early evening, and I have about 4-5 hours at most to play, so when the extended maintenance finishes I've pretty much run out of the time.

• paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    dolour79 wrote: »
    You extend the downtime till 20:30 CET? Seriously?
    Is it asking for too much, for you to utilize more than one braincell, when setting times for maintainance?
    Whoever is responsible for the timing is really synonymous for "terrible". Epic fail.

yes because this is an engineered event specifically decided upon in the last dev team meeting. somebody tried to go cheap on the donuts. they were so angry and decided to take it out on one player. they are extending maintenance just to annoy you personally. you know synonymous with self absorbed self important jerk. EPIC FAIL
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Thanks for the update, @pwlaughingtrendy . Send the release team some coffee for us, to fuel the frantic scramble. Better a delay now than broken maps all week.
    coffee? send them some speed... or a cattleprod...

Been broken the last few weeks. Nothing new to some of us!

But do ensure the coffee is fresh. I do know the tech guys are working their butts off . None of my anger is meant to be directed at tech or you Trendy . No way!! Its the Suits..
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    While we're discussing things being fixed: While it has been reported many times over the years, the Omega Torpedo Launcher has been bugged this entire time.

Despite what some in zone chat seem to believe, the Torpedo GCD does apply to it, so its listed tooltip DPS is four times the actual DPS of the weapon. This wasn't too bad when it was also bugged with infinite charges, effectively transforming it into a 90 degree kinetic cannon (with damage roughly matching the arc difference with the kinetic cutter beam), but after it was "repaired" to run out? The launcher is extremely weak as a result of being balanced around a mechanic that quite literally does not apply to it.

There's now the Malem's console, which is what the launcher was originally more or less supposed to be; Actually fixing the Omega would not cause trouble for the plasma warhead module, as it offers an immense advantage in not needing a weapon slot to do its dirty work.
    on a lighter note... you guys just do what you need to do! we love you and appreciate your hard work. remember some of these people here complaining about extended maintenance would complain if you didn't extend maintenance to squash bugs and let them loose in game. take your time we would rather wait for a better product than a hurried one with bugs and problems.
  • duddutcher#4834 duddutcher Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    im getting out of things to do and thats rally bothers me so... plz ...... load ..... the.... GAME

whit all respect but some peapol just dont got hole day to wait for a @%&*&$##(# game to load so plz put pepper in your asse and go. or just do the half of the stuff next week
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    I'm more angry about losing another whole day of Mirror Invasion Event - i'm from Europe and i'm coming home from work around 15:00 CET - now i lost another day of grinding my 16 toons in the 15-minutes event - each toon....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    /applauds sarcastically.
  • jamesstjamesjamesstjames Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    10:30? When is this? That time does not give me any clue when this will be done. I really wish you would at least a link to a time converter so you can check when this is in your local time. Previous moderator did this and it was very useful.

Google.gif

If only there was some way in this harsh modern world where we could find the answer to things ourselves...
    Please, stop hiding behind excuses. We may expect that we are dealing with professionals (devs) or they supposed to be professionals. A guy that screws it up in any large production, gets the blame. If he does it several times, he is being fired. A surgyn has only one shot to do it correct, and his proffession is far more complicated then IT. Yet, it's always this IT sector, especially the gaming branch of it, that is hiding their own TRIBBLE ups behind excuses like: "Stuff happens, Bugs are a part of software, It's common to software, No user-system is the same, blah blah blah, nag nag nag ...". Grow a pair, get a spine and pick up your responsibility and get some pride out of your work.

350x700px-LL-5fcec43e_Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpeg
    tumblr_meud0dq0CT1rq8ga2o1_250.gif
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy

The players in GMT+2-> are losing one day to get the mirror event filled, are you going to extend it by one day to compensate for that?
    No, they are losing three hours of a 24 hour day.

Maintenance comes every week, 52 weeks a year. Why is there always someone who is surprised by this?

I am losing effectively one day, as I study during the day so I can get on STO in early evening, and I have about 4-5 hours at most to play, so when the extended maintenance finishes I've pretty much run out of the time.
    I understand that in many individual cases it does create 'scheduling issues'. But they can't plan around the schedule of 200,000 individual players. Bottom line is, Cryptic's staff is in California. They get to work on Thursday morning, get their coffee, then start maintenance. When they are done, the servers come back online. Usually. As another poster above mentioned, this schedule happens to coincide with the time period where logins are lightest, so this window inconveniences the smallest number of gamers on average.

The only time I can play is in the evenings after kids and spouse have gone to bed - too many interruptions otherwise. And I rarely get any time on weekends. So I feel for your limitations. It does make it hard when trying to participate in a grind-fest like this one. But if this is your prime time, you know that maintenance comes every week and can plan around it. They do not 'owe' you a day to make up for lack of planning.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    I'm more angry about losing another whole day of Mirror Invasion Event - i'm from Europe and i'm coming home from work around 15:00 CET - now i lost another day of grinding my 16 toons in the 15-minutes event - each toon....

I hope they extend it a day or 2. I thought I was bad grinding 7 toons. I'd have to quit my job to take care of 16! :D
  • jamesstjamesjamesstjames Member Posts: 75 Arc User

gooutside.jpg

tumblr_meud0dq0CT1rq8ga2o1_250.gif
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    I agree! For every bug that is found, the dev must be punished! They should loose six months pay for EACH bug AND be banned from cofee and bacon for said duration.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • imperialgeminiimperialgemini Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I understand maintenance is important and sometimes there are complications.

However, because the Mirror incursion PvE makes you wait 20 hours to get the dimensional transport reward. I have been trying to do it exactly every 20 hours to push up the time so i can then just have it available every morning when I wake up, instead of the afternoon. Now because of the maintenance I had to wait 24 hours and if you continue to delay coming online, then it will be more than that.

I know this is just one of those things we must live with. But on maintenance days those hours of maintenance should be ticked off for the next cool down period. So after completing todays Mirror incursion, we should only have to wait 16 hours instead of 20. If you have to add additional hours to maintenance then you should reduce the cool down time accordingly. This way your not affecting the time scheduling people have to do their PvE.

This is especially important for those who have a narrow window to come on to STO because of WORK and FAMILY. If a person can only come on from 10am to Noon, and the maintenance messes the cool down time up, you may be costing them a chance at the reward.
    edited November 2015
    JUST DO IT IN TWO PARTS AAAAA IF YOU SET A LIMIT YOU HAVE TO LISTING TO THAT LIMIT NOW I HAVE ONLY A HALF AN HOUR TO PLAY ME THE FORCE BEWHIT YOU AND SPEED STUFF UP

whit force i mean force from lucas art AND NOT THE DUMASS DISNEY THATS PIZZATST THE HOLE MOVIE UP
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    duddutcher#4834 you need to calm down.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    dolour79 wrote: »
    You extend the downtime till 20:30 CET? Seriously?
    Is it asking for too much, for you to utilize more than one braincell, when setting times for maintainance?
    Whoever is responsible for the timing is really synonymous for "terrible". Epic fail.

Well, a response like that is certainly going to get them on the ball.

In all seriousness though, when it comes to patching and server maintenance sometimes bugs don't come out until they release the patch into the general server. We're talking code on top of older code, changes in developers, etc. I'm certain that they didn't intend for it to take this long, but something came up and if they had released it with the bug intact, then we'd be screaming at them over that.
    You might say they could be more transparent, and there's a lot of times that I wish game developers were, but in this instance, I'm sure that they have plenty on their minds to deal with and are busy fixing the problem. If they keep having to explain the problem while fixing it, then that takes away from getting it done.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User

I ain't complaining, another hour to read my book Star Trek: Enterprise The Romulan War (book #2), good book BTW
    duddutcher#4834 you need to calm down.

srry i let some times lose my bad but im just rally mad that THAY CANT DO WHAT THAY SAY THAT THAY WIL DO IN A TIME THATS WHAY TO LONG,but i wil tray to calm down
  • yris1yris1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I understand maintenance is important and sometimes there are complications.

However, because the Mirror incursion PvE makes you wait 20 hours to get the dimensional transport reward. I have been trying to do it exactly every 20 hours to push up the time so i can then just have it available every morning when I wake up, instead of the afternoon. Now because of the maintenance I had to wait 24 hours and if you continue to delay coming online, then it will be more than that.

I know this is just one of those things we must live with. But on maintenance days those hours of maintenance should be ticked off for the next cool down period. So after completing todays Mirror incursion, we should only have to wait 16 hours instead of 20. If you have to add additional hours to maintenance then you should reduce the cool down time accordingly. This way your not affecting the time scheduling people have to do their PvE.

This is especially important for those who have a narrow window to come on to STO because of WORK and FAMILY. If a person can only come on from 10am to Noon, and the maintenance messes the cool down time up, you may be costing them a chance at the reward.

+10000.

Reducing all cooldowns by maintenance duration is the way to go, but I doubt it is that simple, server-wise.
    But maybe Trendy can pass the idea along.
    saber1973a wrote: »

so in Europe a day is only 6 hours long?
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Hardware infrastructure's really different from software, though. Generally the hardware's more or less standardized, and you buy the hardware from (hopefully) reputable venders.
    It's my impression that very little of STO was developed elsewhere, so they're responsible for everything. And given the sheer number of interactive paths and amount of environmental data in the game, comprehensive testing is impossible. I've worked on much less complicated software where the first thing the testers said was "There are too many interaction paths. We can't test everything."
  • whitewhale80whitewhale80 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    So no access for me tonight (can't say I'm surprised the UK/europe time zone is the one getting culled again, this is the company which has the US flag next to the English language option) and after all this the DOFF missions are still broken. sigh.
  • helpdeskmanhelpdeskman Member Posts: 12 Arc User

gooutside.jpg

If you're gonna with that I can post pictures too...

games_devs_internet_white_knight.gif
  • richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    There's this one thing that amuses me, sorta.

I've been playing this game for close to five years. Since day one I've been seeing people complain in the forums about being surprised about Thursday maintenance, or the fact that it's always in the middle of 'their gametime'. Oddly enough, it's often the exact same names that do the complaining as the week before, and the week before that, and before that, and so on and so forth....
    One would think that after five years, these people would have clued on...