Install Arc
Options

They went there! (post war era #3)

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    flash525 wrote: »
    @dareau - do you realise just how big the Enterprise-J is suppose to be? That thing would easily dwarf DS9 several times over. Think Stargate Atlantis. ;)

@qjunior - Let's leave Shatner the hell alone. Guy has ego the size of the Herald fleet. He's a has been. On top of that, as already suggested, he'd cost too much.

@valoreah - I disagree. I thought ST:Enterprise is a truer example of what space exploration would be like for us. It was dark, gritty, none of this utopian rubbish. It didn't take off because a lot of fans wanted a continuation rather than a prequel so stupidly boycotted. Same thing happened with SG:Universe, fans are the reason these shows lost out. People just can't accept change.

Sorta off topic...but Universe was so slow to start...and while SG1 and Atlantis had some sexual tension and such...they didn't resort to sex every other episode to try and attract younger viewers like Universe did...also resorted to the lowest common denominator every chance they got to make sure EVERYONE knew the asian woman was a TRIBBLE...to either attract TRIBBLE viewers or young guys who want to see two women kiss.
    you never actually watched the first season of Stargate did you?

clearly not...

I hated the cliffhanger... it drove me nuts... does the fat guy have enough body fat to survive or not?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    @dareau - do you realise just how big the Enterprise-J is suppose to be? That thing would easily dwarf DS9 several times over. Think Stargate Atlantis. ;)

@qjunior - Let's leave Shatner the hell alone. Guy has ego the size of the Herald fleet. He's a has been. On top of that, as already suggested, he'd cost too much.

@valoreah - I disagree. I thought ST:Enterprise is a truer example of what space exploration would be like for us. It was dark, gritty, none of this utopian rubbish. It didn't take off because a lot of fans wanted a continuation rather than a prequel so stupidly boycotted. Same thing happened with SG:Universe, fans are the reason these shows lost out. People just can't accept change.

Sorta off topic...but Universe was so slow to start...and while SG1 and Atlantis had some sexual tension and such...they didn't resort to sex every other episode to try and attract younger viewers like Universe did...also resorted to the lowest common denominator every chance they got to make sure EVERYONE knew the asian woman was a TRIBBLE...to either attract TRIBBLE viewers or young guys who want to see two women kiss.

I did...wasn't spammed with sex almost every episode
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Well since everybody is giving their 2 cents on Enterprise, I feel that it really took off in season 3. It's just really sad because season 4 was just starting to foreshadow the Romulan-Earth War. And yes NX-1 played an important role in that war.

It's just too bad the season got cut off before that war could be seen.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxv wrote: »
    Well since everybody is giving their 2 cents on Enterprise, I feel that it really took off in season 3. It's just really sad because season 4 was just starting to foreshadow the Romulan-Earth War. And yes NX-1 played an important role in that war.

It's just too bad the season got cut off before that war could be seen.

Yeah...makes me really sad...would of loved to see a whole story arc involving Romulans...even if it was ENT era
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    @valoreah

He shouldn't be ashamed he can't accomllish the same things William Shatner did. Not everyone can be a talentless attention TRIBBLE that won the genetic lottery.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User

Pretty much this. Besides which, SG-1 and Atlantis get the benefit of the doubt due to not being the new BSG with Stargates.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    juanvenkatjuanvenkat Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    It was very hard to get into stargate for us who had grown up laughing at macgyver then they threw the major from twin peaks in there playing a major, slept in that costume for all those years I guess, for a complete wtf
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    SGU was a different show, we can agree on that, but it was aimed to bring in a younger audience. That doesn't mean long-time fans should have ditched it. I suppose the biggest reason for it's flop was their spending too much time on character development in the first season, and by the time the second season (much better) aired, it had already lost viewers.
    Back on topic, Enterprise wasn't so bad...it was just all over the place and breaking canon in some spots...facts like the Borg and the Ferengi...the WW2 arc was also quite odd...especially when there were basically Federation time Police around to prevent such things...
    But if the past changes, do the time police then exist?
    I hated the cliffhanger... it drove me nuts... does the fat guy have enough body fat to survive or not?
    At the end of the show, everyone went into stasis (including the fat guy). It's left to the viewer to determine their fate. I suspect they were assimilated by the Borg.
    valoreah wrote: »
    Voyager's worst episodes are still better than the best that Enterprise had to offer, and that's saying something.
    Debatable.
    For being a has been, Shatner certainly seems to get quite a lot of work doing various projects. No matter what you may think of him, he has been and always will be far more successful than you ever will hope to be. If being a has been means having the wealth Shatner has, then I'll be a has been.
    Hah, I couldn't care less that he's been more successful than me; he's led a very different life.

My point (because it apparently isn't clear enough) is that we don't need him in this game. The cost to get Shatner in for a little voicework isn't work the financial compromise that Cryptic would no doubt need to make. You'd think someone like Shatner would cuts Trek a break; I get that everyone has to get paid, but when you've got as much money as some of these so called celebrities, you'd think they'd do more charitable work, or help out in other means.

I'm not saying Shatner hasn't done charity work, he probably has, but what does he truly have to gain by charging ridiculous prices just so we can hear him? TRIBBLE that! I'd rather Cryptic donate that money to a charity if they're going to spend that amount at all.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    except ryan. we need her
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The Temporal Cold war and the Mirror Universe are probably some of the least favorite things in the Star Trek franchise, but we'll see how it works out.

The TCW's particular problem to me is - too much time travel in Star Trek. And too easy. If in a few centuries, we'll have regular and common time travel by Federation starships, the universe will be unrecognizable. I don't think a TV show or a movie series would work around such a setting (and still feel Trek). Doctor Who is of course a series based around time travel, but it has a different tone and it's still a single individual only that does most of the time travelling. (Of course, Doctor Who and Star Trek also have a commonality -both seem to prefer brains over brawns.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    @valoreah - whilst true, we don't need any of them, we could probably get several for the price Shatner would be. Which is more beneficial for the game?

End of the day, unless we're suddenly going to have a story arc set in the TOS or TMP era we don't need those cast members reprising their roles.

Stick to the era we're in, and then to the characters that can add dynamic to the game. Would much rather the quirky Andrew Robinson as Garak or Jeffery Combs as Weyoun that Shatner as Kirk who is 'just another captain'.
  • Options
    SGU was a different show, we can agree on that, but it was aimed to bring in a younger audience. That doesn't mean long-time fans should have ditched it. I suppose the biggest reason for it's flop was their spending too much time on character development in the first season, and by the time the second season (much better) aired, it had already lost viewers.
    Back on topic, Enterprise wasn't so bad...it was just all over the place and breaking canon in some spots...facts like the Borg and the Ferengi...the WW2 arc was also quite odd...especially when there were basically Federation time Police around to prevent such things...
    But if the past changes, do the time police then exist?
    At the end of the show, everyone went into stasis (including the fat guy). It's left to the viewer to determine their fate. I suspect they were assimilated by the Borg.
    Voyager's worst episodes are still better than the best that Enterprise had to offer, and that's saying something.
    Debatable.
    For being a has been, Shatner certainly seems to get quite a lot of work doing various projects. No matter what you may think of him, he has been and always will be far more successful than you ever will hope to be. If being a has been means having the wealth Shatner has, then I'll be a has been.
    Hah, I couldn't care less that he's been more successful than me; he's led a very different life.

My point (because it apparently isn't clear enough) is that we don't need him in this game. The cost to get Shatner in for a little voicework isn't work the financial compromise that Cryptic would no doubt need to make. You'd think someone like Shatner would cuts Trek a break; I get that everyone has to get paid, but when you've got as much money as some of these so called celebrities, you'd think they'd do more charitable work, or help out in other means.

I'm not saying Shatner hasn't done charity work, he probably has, but what does he truly have to gain by charging ridiculous prices just so we can hear him? TRIBBLE that! I'd rather Cryptic donate that money to a charity if they're going to spend that amount at all.

Well then what is the point of them then if someone can go back far enough in time to change Earth's past? What's to stop someone from going back in time and simply prevent the human race from developing?

If you can't clean up some aliens manipulating earth in the 1940's what chance do you have to stop someone from going back hundreds, thousands, or even millions of years and changing history.

Maybe prevent the asteroid that hit the earth and wiped out the Dinosaurs...Voth stayed on Earth...maybe enslaved Humans? Or maybe something cataclysmic in early Human development...maybe make the Earth uninhabitable before Humans evolve? I'm sure people could come up with much more creative ways than what I just did.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Has Piccard done any episode? I dont recall.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    I always thought Picard would settle on Baku to marry that 300 year old TRIBBLE who can't swim. Therfore being virtually immortal.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I think it's been established that the temporal police utilize ships that are phased out of the spacetime continuum and therefore impervious to changes in the time line while still being able to perceive them. Much like Annorax. They try to meddle as little as possible so that's why we hear very little from them.
    Post edited by samt1996 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    I think it's been established that the temporal police utilize ships that are phased out of the spacetime continuum and therefore impervious to changes in the time line while still being able to perceive them. Much like Annorax. They try to meddle as little as possible so that's why we here very little from them.

An Alien race was physically meddling in Human history...they were there on Earth changing our past for the worse...don't you think that is enough of a offense to intervene?

What happens if they changed history and the TRIBBLE won WW2? Could you imagine how much that would change our world? In the altered timeline they conquered England and who knows how much of Europe...and were working on the US.

We could have very well turned out like the Mirror universe...especially if you go by the Mirror Darkly intro, of the first man planting a Terran flag on the moon...maybe in the Mirror Universe the TRIBBLE did conquer the world, did win WW2?
  • Options
    In every case the disruptions in the time line were fixed without the need for significant interference.

They knew the problems would resolve themselves so they didn't interfere because they didn't have to. There have been a few cases where they got directly involved but only if absolutely necessary.

Your not understanding temporal mechanics. If they unnecessarily get involved they risk making the problem worse so they plot out each disruption and determine the simplest way to repair it even if that means doing nothing at all.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Wrong thread.
  • Options
    Well then what is the point of them then if someone can go back far enough in time to change Earth's past? What's to stop someone from going back in time and simply prevent the human race from developing?

If you can't clean up some aliens manipulating earth in the 1940's what chance do you have to stop someone from going back hundreds, thousands, or even millions of years and changing history.
    This is why Trek Time Travel is sloppy at best. There's no true Temporal Lore in use at any given time.

If there was a true time police, then half the events we've seen on the show(s) wouldn't have happened. The Orb of Time (DS9) would be locked out of allowing time travel, Sisko and co wouldn't have been able to get their hands on Tribbles. If the time police existed (and did their job) then how would Voyager have actually got home? In one timeline they took a lot longer, and a bunch more people died, then in another, future Janeway altered time and brought Voyager home safer and quicker, all whilst crippling the Borg; that's got to have a massive effect on the timeline.

If the time police exist, and if their timestream is fixed, then it would appear that they only act when it suits them, but then if they're only doing that and they're not fixing everything, then their actual time doesn't exist. Instead they're forever out of phase with any timestream cause wherever they end up wont be true to them.

Why did the Borg (First Contact) need to travel to Earth before they jumped back in time? Why not just go back in time, and then travel to Earth where their big Cube wouldn't have been destroyed? The Sphere builders had the Xindi send a probe to Earth to kill several million people; the Sphere Builders exist outside of time, and no doubt influenced a change in the timeline. Where were these temporal police then?

It's rubbish. Time Travel and Trek is a mess. If anyone is worried about Cryptic fiddling around with it, I wouldn't worry. They can't make it anymore inconsistent than the show (and film) writers already have done.
    samt1996 wrote: »
    I think it's been established that the temporal police utilize ships that are phased out of the spacetime continuum and therefore impervious to changes in the time line while still being able to perceive them. Much like Annorax. They try to meddle as little as possible so that's why we hear very little from them.
    At what point would such technology have been created though? Surely after time travel; and us Humans aren't necessarily the first species to have figured it all out, so what if there's another species out there who's jumping through time already?
  • Options
    Yeah...time travel in Trek is really screwy...even have a chicken or the egg thing with 29th century tech starting the computer age...
  • Options
    damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    I so wanted to see the Earth-Romulan war on screen. Read the novels which were good IMO. But to have the Romulan war arc on screen would've been epic for me.
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    dalolorn wrote: »

Pretty much this. Besides which, SG-1 and Atlantis get the benefit of the doubt due to not being the new BSG with Stargates.
    What I remember most of season 1 is that it was on Showtime and R-rated... due to going beyond hinting....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    There was something in the pilot that exceeded even Universe, but aside from that, I don't remember anything of the sort.

And, again. Better than BSG with Stargates.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    There was something in the pilot that exceeded even Universe, but aside from that, I don't remember anything of the sort.

And, again. Better than BSG with Stargates.
    IIRC the original version of the episode with the planet that made people age quickly had topless people in it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    No, that was Sha're in the pilot. Which was never shown again.

• Options
    No, that was Sha're in the pilot. Which was never shown again.
    Indeed (no pun intended), Sha're (Daniel's wife) was shown to be fully nude (not just topless) in the original airing of the episode. The scene was cut/edited for any repeat viewings. Nothing to do with a planet where people don't age though...

• Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    That whole temporal cold war arc was among, if not the worst story arcs in all of Star Trek, if not all of science fiction.​​

I liked it.

They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.