test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will You Pay for Access to the New Trek Television Series ?

Comments

• Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    No interest in paying for the new Star Trek.

After TOS, people who have produced new shows and movies brought into the myth of what the show was more than what TOS actually was. None of it was worthwhile IMO and I don't expect that to change.

So TNG didn't touch upon philosophy or touched upon the human condition? Not sure what you're trying to say, but TNG at the very least had what TOS had in terms of writing.

DS9 was more war-torn, consequences of occupations and what place religion has in the grand scheme of things. (Even though it was kind of negated by their faith being something tangible and not some faith-based system)

VOY touched upon what one would do in the dire circumstances, to damn morals for the sake of survival or deal with the loses to keep those morals intact.

So, again. Not sure what you were going for there.

I couldn't watch any of those shows past the first season. They were terrible.

TOS was primarily adventure, good characters and classic and traditional morality tales as a side dish. Later shows pushed post-modern morality and effectively dropped the adventure and interesting characters. I have no interest.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    ilithyn wrote: »
    As I don't live in the US it isn't a question of whether I want to or not, but that I can't.
    This. Fans outside the U.S. have to pirate this like everything else unless they're willing to wait a year.

No they don't. Read the article again:

"The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International."

"Concurrently: Happening, existing, or done at the same time as something else"
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    No interest in paying for the new Star Trek.

After TOS, people who have produced new shows and movies brought into the myth of what the show was more than what TOS actually was. None of it was worthwhile IMO and I don't expect that to change.

While I agree with you to a certain extent I look at how Star Fleet has changed in TNG,DS9 and VOY and more of how organizations change over time. In the real world the US Navy 100 years ago is not the same as it is today...hell the US Navy of the 60's is much different than what it is today.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2015

TOS was primarily adventure, good characters and classic and traditional morality tales as a side dish. Later shows pushed post-modern morality and effectively dropped the adventure and interesting characters. I have no interest.

I can understand your beef with TNG and VOY...in both cases when it came down to the choice to buy DVD's or just rely on my Amazon Prime subscription, which I partly got for other reasons (the free shipping), I did some numbers and figured out that my ratio of episodes liked to not like wasn't really high enough for me to want to buy the DVD's. Some episodes in both shows ARE decent (more in TNG than VOY, admittedly), but I can see why the preachiness of TNG especially was annoying.

However, there are a few things I think you might take some interest in if you were to give them a second chance.

First, regarding TNG, I think you might enjoy First Contact. While the big plot is about Picard vs. the Borg, it's also about Picard having all of his hypocrisy shoved in his face and utterly destroying his high and mighty facade. Basically he's forced to realize that he is human. Not in the way he thinks he is, but in the way that we really are. Kind of a Siege of AR-558 moment.

Second...Deep Space Nine may be more to your interest as it was for me. If you get past the first couple seasons (but even those IMO give you more in terms of the characters that will come back later, than TNG ever did) and go to Season 3 where the runup to the Dominion War starts, you'll definitely get the action. Yes, it's war, but very unlike a lot of modern Crapsack World shows like Game of Thrones, the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, or the new Battlestar Galactica (the last of which I liked, but I will never watch other similarly depressing shows since I feel like "seen it once, seen 'em all"), DS9 succeeds IMO in striking a balance between idealism and realism. All of Roddenberry's pretension from TNG is destroyed, but without creating a complete hellhole of a world where there is no good. In that way, despite the sci-fi premise, it actually feels a lot more real than something like Breaking Bad.

And however much this will annoy the Roddenberry worshippers, part of the reason I play STO is because while the game environment exaggerates it a lot, the Starfleet in STO is what I would expect after DS9 and all of the things that occurred in the Path to 2409: irrevocably changed ever since the Federation was attacked by the Borg and Dominion in quick succession. They cannot go back to that TNG smarminess and head-in-the-sand approach to foreign affairs, and that is a good thing. I also feel that the Klingon Empire's continued social degradation and eventual return to warfare with the Federation is in line with what we saw occurring on TNG/DS9. Some people HATE those things but for me, once you tone down the absurdities created by being in a game, it fits.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    If people would actually READ the articles then you would have seen that that the Premier episode (in the US) will air on television. Then all following episodes will be on the CBS all access.

It will ALSO be distributed internationally on regular television.

Please read things.

Also to the original question this thread asked. No, I won't. I don't have money to throw away on some crappy cbs service. Thankfully our international friends will do a good job of getting it online in other ways. Which is what I will wait for.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »

I can understand your beef with TNG and VOY...in both cases when it came down to the choice to buy DVD's or just rely on my Amazon Prime subscription, which I partly got for other reasons (the free shipping), I did some numbers and figured out that my ratio of episodes liked to not like wasn't really high enough for me to want to buy the DVD's. Some episodes in both shows ARE decent (more in TNG than VOY, admittedly), but I can see why the preachiness of TNG especially was annoying.

However, there are a few things I think you might take some interest in if you were to give them a second chance.

First, regarding TNG, I think you might enjoy First Contact. While the big plot is about Picard vs. the Borg, it's also about Picard having all of his hypocrisy shoved in his face and utterly destroying his high and mighty facade. Basically he's forced to realize that he is human. Not in the way he thinks he is, but in the way that we really are. Kind of a Siege of AR-558 moment.

Second...Deep Space Nine may be more to your interest as it was for me. If you get past the first couple seasons (but even those IMO give you more in terms of the characters that will come back later, than TNG ever did) and go to Season 3 where the runup to the Dominion War starts, you'll definitely get the action. Yes, it's war, but very unlike a lot of modern Crapsack World shows like Game of Thrones, the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, or the new Battlestar Galactica (the last of which I liked, but I will never watch other similarly depressing shows since I feel like "seen it once, seen 'em all"), DS9 succeeds IMO in striking a balance between idealism and realism. All of Roddenberry's pretension from TNG is destroyed, but without creating a complete hellhole of a world where there is no good. In that way, despite the sci-fi premise, it actually feels a lot more real than something like Breaking Bad.

I have to agree with this..as a TOS fan...I really couldn't get into TNG...especially the first season. I did like Ds9 and especially the episodes going into the Dominion War.
    I didn't watch Voyager until after I watched Battlestar Galactica and BSG ruined VOY for me.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I have to agree with this..as a TOS fan...I really couldn't get into TNG...especially the first season. I did like Ds9 and especially the episodes going into the Dominion War.
    I didn't watch Voyager until after I watched Battlestar Galactica and BSG ruined VOY for me.

TOS may have had its morality tales, but Kirk doesn't come across as smarmy and hypocritical like pre-First Contact Picard often does. He still seems aware that even he (gasp!) has a bad side and can succumb to it at times. (Heck, in Star Trek VI, that's actually a major plot point.) "We will not kill today." But unlike Picard, what Kirk is implying there is that he and humanity as a whole have not utterly eliminated that impulse but simply have it under serious scrutiny and still must always decide in the moment whether or not to follow the better angels of their nature. THAT I am okay with. Picard's evolved sensibilities garbage (and a few even worse things I won't go into for fear of a dangerous thread derail) makes me want to smack him. Now, when I see Lily Sloan do exactly that in First Contact, I almost want to give her a round of applause for whacking the hypocrisy right out of him.

I had other reasons for tuning out from VOY (the last straw was annoyance at Seven of Nine, or more specifically, what it was clear the writers had put her in the show for, and it's about as blatant as ENT's "decon" and "accupressure" scenes), and from what I've heard, that was a good decision. The only difference with ENT is that I've heard that the quality really went up in the last season or two and that I missed all of that. Whoops...that's going to be an Amazon binge watch someday.

For TNG, there's a select list of episodes I'd say are worth watching, but they can be handpicked on Amazon Prime without going to the trouble of a full series watch. VOY may be the same way but again, use your Amazon subscription if you have one instead of buying anything separately for the privilege of seeing them.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited November 2015

TOS may have had its morality tales, but Kirk doesn't come across as smarmy and hypocritical like pre-First Contact Picard often does. He still seems aware that even he (gasp!) has a bad side and can succumb to it at times. (Heck, in Star Trek VI, that's actually a major plot point.) "We will not kill today." But unlike Picard, what Kirk is implying there is that he and humanity as a whole have not utterly eliminated that impulse but simply have it under serious scrutiny and still must always decide in the moment whether or not to follow the better angels of their nature. THAT I am okay with. Picard's evolved sensibilities garbage (and a few even worse things I won't go into for fear of a dangerous thread derail) makes me want to smack him. Now, when I see Lily Sloan do exactly that in First Contact, I almost want to give her a round of applause for whacking the hypocrisy right out of him.

I found Janeway to be more hypocritical then Picard, at least Picard was consistent (for the most part). Janeway, you never knew what she was going to do.
    Edit: and I didn't even dislike Janeway per say, just her erratic behavior.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options

I had other reasons for tuning out from VOY (the last straw was annoyance at Seven of Nine, or more specifically, what it was clear the writers had put her in the show for, and it's about as blatant as ENT's "decon" and "accupressure" scenes), and from what I've heard, that was a good decision. The only difference with ENT is that I've heard that the quality really went up in the last season or two and that I missed all of that. Whoops...that's going to be an Amazon binge watch someday.

For TNG, there's a select list of episodes I'd say are worth watching, but they can be handpicked on Amazon Prime without going to the trouble of a full series watch. VOY may be the same way but again, use your Amazon subscription if you have one instead of buying anything separately for the privilege of seeing them.

Kirk is a more cinematic character than Picard (which is why they tried to Kirk him in the movies). He's more interesting. When I try to watch TNG I always get stuck on two episodes. The first one with the Ferengi. The Ferengi stole some thing and the ENT-D are in pursuit. Th fire on the Ent-D. Work is ready to fire back and Picard says something like "Well we are chasing them so they have the right to shoot at us." The other is the episode where they thaw out the people from the past while discovering a whole star base or something was scooped out of a planet and instead of trying to figure out who just scooped a whole facility out of a planet he spends the episode lecturing the 80's future people on the evils of the 80's.

My issues with Voyager is that I couldn't see the Maquis and Feds just getting along and being peaceful. Sure there were some Maquis that proved to be problems but it seemed to be too clean a merger. Watching this show after watching BSG..where they showed a realistic version of people stuck on a ship past all help...ruined the viewing for me. I wasn't too bothered by Seven's inclusion to boost the sex appeal of the show because that seemed to be Troi's job on TNG. Roddenberry seemed to have a thing for sex (I don't blame him. I have a thing for it too)...it seemed to seep into his writings. Kirk seemed to have one in every port....Ilia mentions she has an oath of celibacy once everyone drools over the fact that she's Deltan...Seven just for that sexy girl on the ship profile that Roddenberry and other series past TNG adopted.

I have Netflix and I binge watch episodes that have some pertinence to FE's in STO or some of my writings.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Assuming the new Trek series will be coming out weekly with 40 minute episodes, we'd get 4 * 40 = 160 minutes of entertainment per month.

$6 / 160m = $0.0375/m = $2.25/hr for new Trek.
    Not quite; your formula presumes a new episode every week. I don't think they have specified how many episodes were ordered, but the trend lately is shorter seasons of only 13 or so. (Or worse, the "half season" BS we got from shows like Falling Skies and BSG.)

So 40*13=520 minutes of new ST/season, or an average of ~43.3 minutes monthly. So a year of CBS All Access is $8.31/hr for new Trek. If you like a lot of other CBS shows and don't already have OTA or cable, this might be worth it to you.

I suppose if they aired all 13 consecutively with no gaps (random breaks, holidays, etc.) you could maintain a CBS All Access membership for those 13 weeks and then cancel until it starts up again. But still you're paying 6 bucks an episode.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    nope. I will either wait for it to come to tv or wait till it comes out on Blu-Ray.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I found Janeway to be more hypocritical then Picard, at least Picard was consistent (for the most part). Janeway, you never knew what she was going to do.
    Edit: and I didn't even dislike Janeway per say, just her erratic behavior.

There's a difference in my mind between "hypocrite" as a consistent characterization (and it was with Picard), and complete lack of a consistent characterization. I may despise Picard at times but I will at least give credit that the writers actually had a vision of who he was, that you can agree or disagree with. But it IS actually a vision, which I can't say for VOY.

• Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Depends on what the new show is like, whether or not I can catch up on missed episodes, and whether it's a more economical option than just going with a basic cable package. But I much prefer watching on Netflix.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Don't i can even get it in the Uk even if i wanted to so no.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    I don't think you can compare BSG to Voyager or Trek in general. They're entirely different in tone. BSG didn't have replicators or alien worlds to visit for trade and such.​​

I mean in terms of a crew that far away from everything else. I think BSG showed humanity better than VOY did
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options

read the article
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    I don't think you can compare BSG to Voyager or Trek in general. They're entirely different in tone. BSG didn't have replicators or alien worlds to visit for trade and such.​​

I mean in terms of a crew that far away from everything else. I think BSG showed humanity better than VOY did

BsG did something even simpler than that, to make itself effective: it showed how to use a basic Excel spreadsheet. As the infamous Torpedo Log shows, there was not any serious attempt to track the ship's resources and damage except for an occasional throwaway line.

(I've even shown this to a hardcore VOY fan who had to admit this video was hilarious. Trust me. Watch the whole thing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Trek is coming back to the small screen, but reading further details, this series will only be available via the CBS streaming service, which charges a monthly fee.
    Edit: ($5.99/month)

Will you be willing to pay for access to this program ?
    I know I will be, and have never felt the urge to pay for streaming services.

in my case the point is null and void. because i don't live in the states, i expect there to be a lot of interested tv stations around the globe that would want access, but until there is something in place in the uk, i cant answer that.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Trek is coming back to the small screen, but reading further details, this series will only be available via the CBS streaming service, which charges a monthly fee.

in my case the point is null and void. because i don't live in the states, i expect there to be a lot of interested tv stations around the globe that would want access, but until there is something in place in the uk, i cant answer that.

Yes you can. If you read the press release it says the show is going global. Read the article:
    "The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International."
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options

BsG did something even simpler than that, to make itself effective: it showed how to use a basic Excel spreadsheet. As the infamous Torpedo Log shows, there was not any serious attempt to track the ship's resources and damage except for an occasional throwaway line.

(I've even shown this to a hardcore VOY fan who had to admit this video was hilarious. Trust me. Watch the whole thing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

agreed. I never got a sense that Voyager was hoarding resources unless the plot needed it to.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options

Yes you can. If you read the press release it says the show is going global. Read the article:

okay then you can find out what these stations are and what times they will put them out? im not a telepath or someone who can see into the future and know these things.
  • Options

okay then you can find out what these stations are and what times they will put them out? im not a telepath or someone who can see into the future and know these things.

All it takes is reading the press release before you freak out. Do I know what stations it will be on? No I don't.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User

read the article
    well what a dumb response when there is more than one.
    i did read a article and it didn't say anything about how it would air outside of the USA.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Do I know what stations it will be on? No I don't.

exactly the point i made to you first time around. as far as freaking out is concerned, if its stuck on a subscription channel like sky or virgin for the uk i cant watch it period and i would freak out then. so as i stated, i dont know what stations are going to broadcast. so again for now i cant answer that.
  • Options

read the article
    well what a dumb response when there is more than one.
    i did read a article and it didn't say anything about how it would air outside of the USA.

I meant to say the press release
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    CBS, specifically, irritates me when it comes to streaming. They are the last major US broadcast network to get on board with streaming, but rather than jump in with Hulu or something, they want to roll their own and charge another $7. I already pay for:

Netflix
    Hulu Plus
    Amazon (though, this is kind of a gimme because I buy Prime just for the free shipping)
    CrunchyRoll
    Funimation

It's bad enough to have to pay for one specific US anime distributor (Funi), but at least they have content from numerous Japanese sources. There is no way CBS alone can generate enough desirable content to justify that price, Star Trek or no. Sorry CBS, but you're no HBO. So I'll do what I did with the only other CBS show I bothered to watch (Big Bang Theory) and torrent it. I dare anybody to accuse me of being a pirate with what I spend on streaming and physical DVD/BD, I just refuse to support crappy business practices. I'll buy the show on BD eventually anyway.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    im bored, lets stir the pot a little:

b5 > ds9 > everything else
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    I'll wait and watch it for free when it's syndicated.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.