test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alt tabbing & Brightness issue

polecat42polecat42 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
I understand this is a low priority, but it does make the game nearly unplayable for those (like me) who play the game windowed so they can alt-tab to other windows while playing.

The basic problem is that the brightness in the game goes way down after returning to it from alt-tabbing. Using the brightness slider (which I always set at %120 because space is dark) I can reset this issue, but the moment I alt-tab out and back again the brightness dips once more. Through some fiddling, I was able to notice it is actually darker than my native screen brightness!

As I said, I understand this is not a high priority, but I would really appreciate it if this was repaired as soon as possible, the game is pretty much unplayable for me with this bug. Thanks!

Comments

• polecat42polecat42 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Responding to my own thread because some experimentation revealed another wrinkle. The brightness level you set in STO persists when you alt-tab out of the game, but when you alt-tab back into the game it resets to your PC's native brightness... Oddly it'll swap back to the set brightness when you alt-tab back out of STO if you don't alter anything. I'm guessing some flags got reversed in the works here... which means it'll be a pain in the ___ to find.
  • jplatimerjplatimer Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Similar issues -- system is using Nvidia GTX 960, stays totally dark excepting in full screen mode, windowed mode practically unusable. Tried adjusting brightness, new drivers, etc. Was fine before the patch.
  • mcgrizzled86mcgrizzled86 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Have the same issue since the patch.

Since the update to Season 11, I've been having issues with the in game Brightness setting. I am running in 'Windowed Maximized' in one of dual monitors. I normally run with brightness at 120%. When I first enter the game, the brightness is correct. If I click to my second monitor, everything remains bright. When I return to the game, the game goes dim. Now when I go to the second monitor, the brightness setting comes back but whenever I return to the game it goes dim. I can adjust the Brightness to have it reset and I can see the Gamma value change in the Gameprefs file, but anytime I leave the game window and come back, it's like the in game brightness setting is reversed. The higher I set it to bright, the dimmer it gets when it goes reversed. If I set it to 100%, then there is no change when I shift monitors.
    Post edited by mcgrizzled86 on
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Have the same issue since the patch.

Ditto.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • nighthookstanighthooksta Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    GTX590's with same problem since patch. so freakin annoying..
  • newnjanewnja Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    Confirming the issue. ATI R9 270.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Also confirming the issue. GTX960. Windows 10.

Running in Windowed Maximised mode on the centre screen of 3. I noticed that if I click out to one of the other screens the brightness darkens dramatically. If I then minimise STO to the task bar and then maximise it again the brightness settings return to normal.

This is annoying as I am a heavy Pidgin user and have several chat windows open on the other screens.
    server_hamster6.png
  • irbloodyirbloody Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same here ATI 5800 on Win7
  • nikolaykuznetsovnikolaykuznetsov Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Same here R7850, latest drivers, Windows 10.
    Max. One-Hit: 114,966 (Quantum Torpedo - Salvo II (Federation Typhoon Class Battleship))
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    Same here. When I switch to windows, the screen brightens up big time. I'm set to 156 percent brightness. The windows screen gets that bright and when switching back, the game goes to about... 30 percent darkness? (guessing here) and when I go to adjust the screen brightness, it returns to normal
  • penners2002penners2002 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I can confirm that I am also having this problem. Nothing has changed on my computer, except for the STO patch on the 27/10.

AMD Radeon HD 6750.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Got the same issue. GTX 970 card.

How about the devs brightening up the whole game. seems everyone in this thread plus everyone I talk to increases brightness in game by a fairly large amount. Maybe this bug would just be an annoyance if the lights were a little brighter.
  • nighthookstanighthooksta Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    angrybobh wrote: »
    Got the same issue. GTX 970 card.

How about the devs brightening up the whole game. seems everyone in this thread plus everyone I talk to increases brightness in game by a fairly large amount. Maybe this bug would just be an annoyance if the lights were a little brighter.

lol I agree...I can't stand how dark some stuff is, particularly ESD..the place should be bright insider, not as though it is lit by candles!

• lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
    Same issue, screen dims when I come back from being in my second screen. AMD Radeon R9 200 series here.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • fubar83187686fubar83187686 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    same problem here with gtx 970, its getting annoying having to adjust the brightness everytime
  • smalul1smalul1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I have the exact same issue with Radeon HD 6570 on Windows 8.1.
    It also seems the gamma/brigtness setting is saved but not used - I set my brightness to 130% (or 1.30 in the gamma menu), and each time I start the game the brightness value reads 130%, but acts like 100%.
  • allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Oh God! Thank you guys. I thought I was the only one. This actually gives me hope that it might get fixed if everybody has it.

Indeed the brightness seems reversed as soon as you tab out of the game for the first time.

Outside the game: setting brightness is applied.
    Inside the game: default brightness is applied.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    allocater wrote: »
    Oh God! Thank you guys. I thought I was the only one. This actually gives me hope that it might get fixed if everybody has it.

Indeed the brightness seems reversed as soon as you tab out of the game for the first time.

Outside the game: setting brightness is applied.
    Inside the game: default brightness is applied.

this seems to be the best description, a reversal of visual values.
    edited October 2015
    Workaround: Enter this into the chat:

/bind F7 gamma 1.0

(1.0 sets it to default)

Now depending on what you really want:

/bind F8 gamma 0.8

110% -> 0.9
    120% -> 0.8
    130% -> 0.7
    140% -> 0.6

Now every time you tab back into the game. press F7 and F8 to correct the brightness.

Also before you leave the game you can press F7, so that all other applications don't have the STO brightness.
  • ramos40kramos40k Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Same issue here. Win7, GTX970. It is unbelievable that they cannot release a season without tons of new bugs. Mi power tray is shaking, inventory buttons jumping around....

allocater thx for hte Workaround!
  • andyxvers2andyxvers2 Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    i too am having this issue. i play in windowed mode and clicking out of the window and back into game leaves the game darker than i have my settings at.

this is temporarily fixable by going back into the games graphics settings and sliding the brightness slider 1 notch away from your preferred setting and then back to what you prefer. However this is NOT a permanent fix and you'll have to do this every time you click outside the window or Alt+Tab
    Workaround: Enter this into the chat:

/bind F7 gamma 1.0

(1.0 sets it to default)

Now depending on what you really want:

/bind F8 gamma 0.8

110% -> 0.9
    120% -> 0.8
    130% -> 0.7
    140% -> 0.6

Now every time you tab back into the game. press F7 and F8 to correct the brightness.

Also before you leave the game you can press F7, so that all other applications don't have the STO brightness.

Great work around. Thanks for that :)
    server_hamster6.png
  • thehatchthehatch Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I found that my original brightness/gamma setting is restored after I use the minimize button on the top right corner of the screen, and then returning to the game by clicking on the windows task bar, not using alt-tab at all. Minimizing still causes a brightness change for other applications, though.
    A place for race pilots in STO: /channel_join Racing
    Win 15,000 GPL in the Hodos Racing Challenge!
    thehatch wrote: »
    I found that my original brightness/gamma setting is restored after I use the minimize button on the top right corner of the screen.

Oh, nice to know. Good catch.
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    A permanent fix for this would be nice for those that need it. However brightening the game overall is not a recommended fix as suggested.

Other games have this issue as well. If you tab out to your desktop, gamma/brightness etc will change to your desktop settings. Only with a refresh of the games graphics will it go back to in game settings. Minimizing instead of alt/tab is a good workaround as maximizing after that refreshes the games graphics.

The preffered fix for me would be a correct/working fullscreen mode and not a maximized fullscreen mode. A true fullscreen mode would minimize the game when you alt/tab and reload the graphics when you alt/tab back into the game. All gamma/brightness etc settings would be preserved and work correctly.

I know this may not be an option for some of you. However i have always found it best to not change in game brightness/gamma etc settings. I use my desktop settings instead. I typically find most games to be to dark. However I don't even adjust my desktop settings. Everything is at default. I use my monitor to set everything instead. I find it odd that someone said ESD was to dark. Seems perfect to me.

Overall it's pretty much exactly how i want it. Well except for some sidewalks or steps being a bit to bright. A patch about a year ago caused that issue for dx11 mode users. I did have to increase my brightness for 1 missions though about a week ago. Which had to be reverted after the mission ended. And there are a few others that required me to do this over the years. About on par with the other games i play.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
    dragonsbite, It all was working perfectly before the S11 patch. So they just have to revert back to the way it was before.
    dragonsbite, It all was working perfectly before the S11 patch. So they just have to revert back to the way it was before.

This. Something that didnt need changing, was changed. It beggars belief that they constantly do this.
    server_hamster6.png
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    Yes it is odd and these changes always seem to happen. Same as the overly white/bright walkways. A good example is the steps leading to the embassy on New Rom or starfleet academy. We complained about that when S8 or 9 or some such released and they said they didn't change anything. Needless to say they're still to white/bright.

Not to argue about or against your findings. Just trying to show a way which may work for some of you until they can hopefully fix the issue. Along with fixing the fullscreen issue as well as this i'd personally like to have resolved.

In regards to your issue in particular, for me it isn't a useable option atm as it changes my desktop brightness when i alt tab out of the game. If you alt/tab out of a game it should restore your color/brightness settings and it does not. Alt/tab back into the game and it's dark again. alt/tab out again and your desktop is still stuck in bright game mode. They certainly have it TRIBBLE backwards here.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
    Something else that's slipped through QA >.< Although that said this does seem to have been one of the smoother season launches.
    server_hamster6.png
    Seems all QA is playing on 100% brightness or not in windowed fullscreen or never tab out if the game, so they didn't notice it.