test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alt tabbing & Brightness issue

2»

Comments

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I used to be able to alt-tab out of the game with no problem, but now when I do, the game crashes. UNLESS I put it in Windowed mode and then just minimize the game that way. However, when I return to the game, the Brightness isn't and I have to reset it.

Very annoying. Thank you Season 11. :(
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Well I bought a new monitor, so now I can leave the brightness always at 100% thus I do not encounter this bug any more. But good luck to everybody who has set his brightness to 110%,120%,... I wonder if it will ever get fixed.
  • gondarathgondarath Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Same, SLI GTX 970 G1's
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    same thing here: ATI HD 7700, win 7
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Has there been any official acknowledgement of this issue? Getting really tired of fixing my brightness settings every single time I Alt-Tab.

Bump. Still haven't seen any movement on this.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    I do the min solution, it seems to help.
    Bump. Not interested in workarounds. Looking for a Dev ETA on this.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy might have an ETA if you ask her nicely. She does go to bat asking the devs if there's a solution, or if this is just confined to specific graphic cards
    Posting in a thread in the support section should be more than enough to compel such a response.
    Not fixed in today's patch, either. :(
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    because there WAS no patch today; it was pure server stuff, so nothing in the game not related to the server got changed (deliberately, which of course doesn't leave out the possibility of an accidental slip-through, which cryptic is famous for)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Well then there SHOULD have been a patch. :/
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    Come on patch this
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I did not have the brightness reset issue using an old GTX 560Ti with NVIDIA driver 355.82.
    I upgraded my GPU to GTX 980, and updated the driver to latest (361.43), and now I have the issue any time I switch focus. (aka change windows with Alt-Tab)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    I play on a multi-screen rig, moving to the other screen resets my brightness down to 100% every single time. For me the brightness at 100% is nearly unplayable.

I have to have the amounts at nearly 155% to get the details of an object to be visible in space.
    This isn't an issue with my screen, as I am using a fairly high end Dell Monitor, nor is it my GTX 980 graphics card, which does fine on other games...

It does seem to be this game which is set by default to semi dark lighting. So I brighten it to what would be equivalent to the show, and I then when I need to look something up, like a ship statistic, or a piece of equipment, I tab back in and have to RESET the brightness again... it is highly frustrating.
  • veggie#4697 veggie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Ok newb user here and also experiencing brightness, alt-tabbing and gamescreen window loses focus issues.

[rant] I would like to say this forum sucks balls, i cannot make threads and so cannot ask questions in the right spot. Same as in-game it keeps saying "i'm too new" to be allowed these features even though i got a PM saying i'm "promoted to new user" and have over 20hours of gameplay. The forum is a mess, little information is to be found by digging through ENDLESS threads with often year old posts and outdated information. The ONLY things i seem to find here is ppl complaining (for years!!) about basically the same and similar issues as i had. I almost quit the game because of these issues, and might still do so if the stupid in-game chatrestrictions are not lifted soon, because it cripples the game even more than it already is. I already decided not to become a paying member because now the game barely feels like BETA, although i do want to like it and give it a try [/rant]

Ok, now i've got that out of my system let me tell you about my fix/workaround for the three issues i have started my post with:

Let me start off by saying that nothing i found here worked for me (dx9 commandline options/starting in save mode etc etc)
    As reference here a snippet from my DXDIAG about my system:

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/3/2016, 12:07:18
    -Machine name: WIN7-64BIT
    -Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    -Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    -System Manufacturer: ASUS
    -System Model:H61M-C
    -BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/01/14 14:31:32 Ver: 05.07
    -Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    -Memory: 4096MB RAM
    -Available OS Memory: 4042MB RAM
    -Page File: 4160MB used, 3923MB available
    -Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    -DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    -DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    -User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    -System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    -DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    -DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

--------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    -Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (ASUS)
    -Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    -Chip type: GeForce GT 730
    -DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    -Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1287&SUBSYS_84D61043&REV_A1
    -Display Memory: 3740 MB
    -Dedicated Memory: 1974 MB
    -Shared Memory: 1765 MB
    -Current Mode: 1600 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    -Monitor Name: Generic Non-PnP Monitor

[b]MY FIX:[b]

Turns out loading the client directly WITHOUT the launcher solved every issue i had
    Just to be on the save side, i also launch it in ADMINISTRATOR mode (although you could try without first)
    NOTE: Starting without launcher basically turns of patching, to keep up to dat i'd recommend using the launcher at least once a day before playing to make sure you didn't miss any important patches!

[b]HOW TO:[b]
    1- Browse to your Star Trek Online folder where you find the GAMECLIENT.EXE file
    -for me the standard installation folder(Win7 64bit was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\

2- Create a new shortcut to GAMECLIENT.EXE in a convenient place (i placed it on the desktop in this example)
    -Rightclick GAMECLIENT.EXE and select Create Shortcut OR drag the file with right-mousebutton to your desktop and select Create Shortcut Here

3-Rightclick your newly created shortcut and select Properties -> Shortcut Tab
    -Replace the TARGET-line with(including the quotes): "C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe" -locale English -server 208.95.186.11 -server 208.95.186.32 -server 208.95.186.13 -server 208.95.186.12 -server 208.95.186.37
    -Replace the START IN-line with(including the quotes): "C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live"
    -NOTE: make sure above is correct for you installation folders!

4- OPTIONAL: On the Properties -> Compability Tab set a mark at Run This Program As Administrator

5- Click OK at the bottom of the Properties window to save your settings, you are now done!

Use the newly made shortcut to start and play the game ---> profit!

Sorry for this wall off text but after being so frustrated that i was considering if punching my monitor should help i thought i should share this fix/workaround
    I hope it will help many others as it helped me!

Game Long and Prosper!
  • allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Wow, nice if this works, good job. Now devs look at what you have made us do! ;)
  • thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Could be microsoft visual C++ 2013,since i installed it graphics seem darker
    Still waiting for a fix on this, too.
  • sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Having the same problem in Neverwinter. :angry:
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa

Aza'Lyth Blackflame - Level 70 CW
    Lythyr Nightshroud - Level 70 TR
    Illystra Blackflame - Level 61 DC
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    Okay.. I've been having this problem on my main box for quite a while, but not on my old laptop. My old laptop recently died and I now have a new one and it's giving me this problem. And, of course, two completely different graphics cards - one AMD and one NVidia.
  • mugombie1mugombie1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Just developed the same issue. I played for years on my old machine and never had this issue. Built a new machine last month and it was fine. Then 2 days ago boom this started happening. I also have a GTX 960 card.
  • mugombie1mugombie1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I'm not sure if they fixed it or not but as of yesterdays patch mine is no longer doing this. Of course the setting is slightly to dark and I am afraid to touch the brightness setting in the options so I just bumped the monitor up a few notches to compensate but no more F7 F8!
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    It's still happening to me. I'm not convinced that it's the game's fault though, because when I do tab out all my other windows are too bright.
    Q9BWcdD.png