test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring mine trap

nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
Sad...was one of my favorite queues back when the queues were active. I'm definitely going to miss this one.
Tza0PEl.png
Post edited by nikephorus on

Comments

• alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'm honestly getting pretty fed up by the constant removal of content from the game...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    They shouldn't have removed the hourly bonuses. When the mark bonus was active mine trap was always queueable. Bleh~
    Post edited by nikephorus on
    Tza0PEl.png
  • acolyte5acolyte5 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    bad timing..,..in the last few days or(maybe 2 weeks)..their has been alot of people queing and playing for mine trap.mine trap will be missed :(
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    Such a shame. I always liked mine trap, and it rewarded handsomely too.
    I guess the main problem like the other big queues, is getting 20 people together at the same time.

It also didn't help that sometimes when you did get the numbers, the queue would trigger but immediately cancel, resetting those queued back to 0.

I really hope this comes back.

Perhaps split the map in into quarters so we can have 5 man queues.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Mine Trap was coming back people formed the 20player chat pretty much just for it. I personally was running it regularly for the past month or so. I mean after all the time it wasn't getting played as soon as people start playing it again they remove it. Very unfortunate, I hope they bring it back in the next update.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I am sad to see this queue go. It was the best way to earn Romulan Marks back in the day. I used to run this queue consecutively since it didn't have a cool down. Oh well...
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    What the flipping hell? Why?

You know, I knew all of this was too good to be true lately. Every time Cryptic does something good, they do something phenomenally asinine. :/

EDIT: According to Bort, they're being removed to be reviewed for "potential improvements." So...you can't leave them in the game in the meantime because...? Wait, lemme guess. Too many PvE queues right? Gotta make room for the task force reputation. Are we actually reaching the limit as to how many queues the game can handle? Why not get rid of the damn fleet actions instead? They are hilariously outdated and don't seem to fit in the game anymore.
    hypl wrote: »
    According to Bort, they're being removed to be reviewed for "potential improvements."

Yeah like No win scenario.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    hypl wrote: »
    According to Bort, they're being removed to be reviewed for "potential improvements."

Terrordome!

Exploration Clusters!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    Mind Trap or Mine Trap......?..............................*>>>>>>TRIBBLE<<<<<<*​​
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Ya im more annoyed that the Breach is being retired. That was my favorite mission. At least a warning would have been nice so I could have played it one more time :(

Terrordome!

Somehow I doubt they would use the word "retire" if what they meant was "review". I don't expect to see any of those queues ever again. It's a shame.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    "The Breach" is also being retired.

From the Holodeck patch notes for October 27, 2015:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9618603
    The following queues are being retired:
    • Mine Trap
    • The Breach

this bugged me more than loosing mine trap... but considering how rarely I played it I can't disagree with em :/
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    This is just a sad day and spoiled the release of the new season for me.
    Nor nessessarily because the two being removed were quite good fun in my opinion, but because it's just more of the same TRIBBLE from cryptic - removing content.

Mine trap has been getting a lot of attention lately with the 20player channel pretty active all the time running it both pug and private. Been real good fun rather than the usual bore fest ISA run which is all that seems to get played these days.

I mean Jesus, the queues are dead enough as it is, why remove the few that are actually being played more these days. Just idiotic in my opinion.

We'll just add it to the list of content removed to improved our gaming experience:

Exploration Clusters
    Terradome
    No Win Scenario
    Memory Alpha
    And much more...
    SulMatuul.png
  • ktyrrellktyrrell Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    They shouldn't have removed the hourly bonuses. When the mark bonus was active mind trap was always queueable. Bleh~
    not only Mine Trap, but every other queue, too :/

• stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    Although there was the 20 player channel for mine trap, most players would be in the pug queues for it.
    I do hope cryptic bring it back, but this time, rewritten for 5 players, and with bigger greater rewards too. The same goes for all other queues as well, to get them going again. The current queuing system is god awful and needs to be revamped, hopefully some single player missions in there to combat dead queues.
    Mind Trap or Mine Trap......?..............................*>>>>>>TRIBBLE<<<<<<*​​

Good catch there lol - fixed! :blush:
    Tza0PEl.png
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 980 Arc User
    I like both STFs, so I'm sorry to see them go, especially Mine Trap. It was great to run them with 20player channel these last few weeks.

'Nuff said, I very sceptical about them returning. I won't hold my breath.

This soured the new season significantly for me :(​​
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Mine Trap needs better instruction so inexperienced players don't leave their zone. That's the single biggest problem with it in pug.

Some kind of "troop transports from the starbase..." style repeating VO telling you to go back if you're out of position might be in order, as would some kind of virtual holographic showing the zone borders. And changing the respawn points so that you're guaranteed to respawn in your own zone if you die.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    Yes, annoyed about The Breach going, and the lack of notice or discussion of the reasoning behind it. I can't see any real reason to remove it considering it still triggered reasonably often. In terms of Mine Trap, it's the problem of not having 20 players queuing that needs to be addressed, rather than just taking the easy way out by removing content.
    janus1975 wrote: »
    In terms of Mine Trap, it's the problem of not having 20 players queuing that needs to be addressed, rather than just taking the easy way out by removing content.

Which means either adding cooldowns to the queues, long enough to actually matter (30 minutes is a joke), or giving each queue a desirable unique reward that isn't available elsewhere.

As long as players can endlessly repeat a handful of quick and easy queues that give the same reward as longer and more complex missions, they'll do just that.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Honestly, I'm so mad about them removing Mine Trap right now.

Like others have said, it was making a come back.
    I played Mine Trap 4 or 5 times in the last 3-4 weeks.

The most "TREK" mission in the game, and these bozos sack it.
    WTH are they thinking !?!

Never should've gotten rid of Hourly's...
    Now here we are, putting Breach and Mine Trap on the proverbial chopping block.
    Way to upset everyone before S11 Cryptic.

You never even made an attempt to save Mine Trap. You could have easily saved the 20 man queues by bringing back hourly's, or even by simply overcompensating on rewards.. or by making it a 5 man queue....YOU HAD A CHOICE , YOU HAD OPTIONS, YET YOU DID NOTHING !
    You didn't care enough to try ! You just gave up like the yellow bellied cowards you are. and let the best pve mission in the game wither and die.
    Then announce a day before S11....we're removing Breach and Mine Trap.. YOU COWARDLY FERENGIS HIDING IN THE SHADOWS !

Live long and F you

Post edited by taylor1701d on
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    Where can I get the kill accolade for the salt vampires now?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Where can I get the kill accolade for the salt vampires now?

Foundry
    • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
      warpangel wrote: »
      In terms of Mine Trap, it's the problem of not having 20 players queuing that needs to be addressed, rather than just taking the easy way out by removing content.

Which means either adding cooldowns to the queues, long enough to actually matter (30 minutes is a joke), or giving each queue a desirable unique reward that isn't available elsewhere.

As long as players can endlessly repeat a handful of quick and easy queues that give the same reward as longer and more complex missions, they'll do just that.
      Add to that, and I feel like I've said it 100 times now, the fact that people just face-roll the crystalline event for any marks when it comes around. This event shouldn't reward "any" marks. It ruins the queues throughout the rest of the year.
      When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

But in the last 2-3 weeks there's been loads of runs of Mine Trap popping because of the 20player channel and all the mentions of it in-game and on here. So people are definitely playing that mission more than say a year ago.
      Granted it could do with a change to player numbers and some updates to the instructions & rewards but it's way more popular that say the 2 Nukara themed queues that rarely pop at all.
      Also when you have things like No Win Scenario being dropped when it was one of the most popular missions in the game you have to question what the heck is going on.

I've seen more runs of Mine Trap in the last 2 weeks than in the last 2 years, that shows it's still pretty popular.

If it needs improving fine, but leave the old one thee until the new one is ready. People are sick of content being taken away all the time.
      SulMatuul.png
    • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
      bah, i liked the breach and still get a team for it once and awhile. Mine Trap not so much, but I did get to join one a couple weeks ago which was pretty cool. Sad to see them go.
    • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
      edited October 2015
      I’m just curious under what measurement cryptic decides to „retire“ maps. Must be different things with popularity not being the only but surely an influential part taken into account.

If a new season means give 2 and take 2 from now on, I suggest the players of this game start to play those PvEs they like more again. Problem is that some simply hand out bad rewards compared to others which put them on the disadvantage to begin with.

I could imagine Undine Assault, Azure Nebular Rescue and Infected Ground to see “retirenment” next.

While I would not shed any tears for the first two the latter would be a game-breaker for me personally.
      animated.gif
      Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
      felisean wrote: »
      teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
      You never even made an attempt to save Mine Trap. You could have easily saved the 20 man queues by bringing back hourly's, or even by simply overcompensating on rewards.. or by making it a 5 man queue....YOU HAD A CHOICE , YOU HAD OPTIONS, YET YOU DID NOTHING !

Doubt it. The hourly bonuses never redirected player attention, since they applied to all content equally. The reason marginal queues were more populated before was that the Borg STFs, the only missions back then that had good dilithium AND mark rewards, had a 1 hour cooldown. Since Hive and ground are "too hard", you'd blast your way through the 3 original space STFs and then depending on how fast you were you could have quite a lot of time to spare for random queues before the "good ones" started coming off cooldown.

And before the rewards were equalized, before the Daily Marks Box, Mine Trap actually was a pretty decent source for Rom marks. Now its just another queue that takes too long to finish.

Now that all queues give the more or less the same rewards (dil, marks of some type, an R&D box), fast queues are the order of the day. With only 30 min cooldown, by the time you're done with the 3 STFs, CCA, and maybe a fleet alert or something if you were quick, you're ready to start the cycle anew. Most of the queues you never even have to touch, except maybe to do 1 Normal a day to get the daily bonus marks if you're leveling a rep. Not even that for reps that have a patrol or something that can be done solo in 5 minutes.
      Problem is that some simply hand out bad rewards compared to others which put them on the disadvantage to begin with.

See now I'm of the opinion that although it's true that some missions give out less rewards we should still be playing for fun.

So it's not so much the rewards that are the problem per see, but the way the game forces everyone into some monstrous grind-fest constantly, meaning the high rewarding missions are favored over others that may well be more enjoyable.
      People are so obsessed with needing the next new shiny that they spend all their time grinding rather than seeking out the enjoyable missions.
      I'd rather play Mine Trap which is always good fun despite the low rewards, than play endless runs of ISA and CCA which are literally the only queues popping these days.
      But the game forces most people down the grinding route, so they always go for the path of least resistance or in game terms the queues with best reward:time ratios.
      SulMatuul.png