test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Map Transition Whitescreen Freeze/Crash

gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
edited October 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I'm playing on Windows 8.1 and still encountering whitescreen crashes on map transitions. The map loads up to about 94% and then stops loading and the program locks up and whitescreens on me, leaving no other option but Alt + Ctrl + Delete. The Alpha Quadrant is a particularly bad offender but I've had it happen in other places as well.

This was not happening in the first few parts of the Iconian War season and until sometime during that season I'd NEVER encountered that kind of issue, but has been going on for at least a few months now as far as I can remember and it is driving me crazy.

Edited to add system stats:

GPU: NVidia GeForce 840M
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz
Memory: 16GB RAM (15.93 usable)
Resolution: 1920x1080, 60 Hz
NVidia driver: Current as of 10/23/15

I have no idea if this can possibly help, but I went to the Event Viewer to see if I could get a description of the problem. Please let me know if there is a better way to get information on the crash, or what other system information you need from me...

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 10/16/2015 10:44:39 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: REDACTED
Description:
The program GameClient.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 2a50
Start Time: 01d1086af248fa88
Termination Time: 166
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe
Report Id: 6151c663-7481-11e5-8290-1458d0032d73
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-10-17T03:44:39.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>41032</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>REDACTED</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>GameClient.exe</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>2a50</Data>
<Data>01d1086af248fa88</Data>
<Data>166</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe</Data>
<Data>6151c663-7481-11e5-8290-1458d0032d73</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
Post edited by gulberat on

Comments

• katanahiryukatanahiryu Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I have had a problem with the game crashing during map transitions since the middle of the Iconian War, you think such a major bug would be fixed by now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I have had a problem with the game crashing during map transitions since the middle of the Iconian War, you think such a major bug would be fixed by now.

About the same time mine started. What OS are you using?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    I had a similar problem where I slow loaded into various missions and so on or would even lock up and white screen outright like you guys. I swapped to the US proxy server which helped quite a bit. Also if it started to act wonky still I threw on safe mode as another precaution. It's a temporary solution but it helped me.

Go to options on the launcher and scroll down until you see the patching options and the game options. You should see something that mentions a proxy. set one or both the game proxy and patching proxy to either the US or EU proxy, whichever is closest to you. From there hit the save option. You'll need to restart your launcher. From there try signing in as normal. Repeat the above steps and check safe mode if you think it's needed as well.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited October 2015
    I can say that I have this same issue myself.

Running Windows 10 with all drivers and software up to date. Graphics on max or on low.

Computer is a custom build from a good sized computer store. Includes i7 Extreme, PCIe SSD, 2x SLI 980GTX cards with a 50mb connection.

Between the map transition crashes and constant Server Not Responding errors I have all but been forced to quit a game I love and based a show around, which I still try to keep going despite not being able to play.

Started at same time after a patch update...

I will point out this, I'd rather quit the game than have to make adjustments to the game load up to play. I shouldn't have to sacrifice changes or tell it what to do in order to simply play.​​
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    From what I have seen this issue is mostly related to AMD cards.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    This sounds like the error I was getting, and I use Nvidia so I dont think its related to cards.
    I found turning on "reduced file streaming" in the options has stopped it happening for me, although I do get instances where it takes an age to transition. It no longer freezes/whitescreens on me though.
    server_hamster6.png
  • wcampbllwcampbll Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I also have windows 8.1 My map transition -freeze crash began when they 'patched' the so called memory leak a couple weeks ago. Only thing I can do is power off computer and reboot.
    From what I have seen this issue is mostly related to AMD cards.

Impacts Nvidia as well. Take note of my mention of 2x SLI 980GTX cards I use.​​
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
    I have NVIDIA as well, though the lockup isn't so severe that I can't Alt+Ctrl+Delete to shut down STO. I have not needed a full reboot.

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    Same issue, but funny enough, some maps trigger it often while others nothing. I've been doing my usual patrol circuit. Japori and Carraya haven't once crashed the game on map transition, but Gamma Eridon and Narandera do it constantly. Frankly it's a nasty annoyance and it should get fixed. Every time the game crashes on map transition I just want to throw the computer to a wall.

Nvidia NVS 400M (I know, not a card you usually see, but it is what I have since this is a work computer)
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Same issue, but funny enough, some maps trigger it often while others nothing. I've been doing my usual patrol circuit. Japori and Carraya haven't once crashed the game on map transition, but Gamma Eridon and Narandera do it constantly. Frankly it's a nasty annoyance and it should get fixed. Every time the game crashes on map transition I just want to throw the computer to a wall.

Nvidia NVS 400M (I know, not a card you usually see, but it is what I have since this is a work computer)

For me the Alpha Quadrant is the worst offender. Other maps do it sometimes but the one map I don't know that I've ever crashed on is DS9 Space.

I can't find an area where changing maps doesn't cause it.

In fact if I change captains the issue occurs. I do believe I have it recorded on it crashing on me even as I was doing a charity livestream at the time....​​

Top DPS 102k
    edited October 2015
    saross wrote: »

In fact if I change captains the issue occurs. I do believe I have it recorded on it crashing on me even as I was doing a charity livestream at the time....​​

Oh that's good, I hope you send that to the devs or post it here so they can actually SEE the behavior.

gulberat wrote: »

In fact if I change captains the issue occurs. I do believe I have it recorded on it crashing on me even as I was doing a charity livestream at the time....

Oh that's good, I hope you send that to the devs or post it here so they can actually SEE the behavior.

Uploading the video right now. I do believe it occurred at least 3 times during the stream I was doing. I had to make up by talking.​​

Top DPS 102k
    Found a video already uploaded in fact.

Jump to the last 5 minutes and you'll hit the point where it hits 41.74 and sits there. Feed goes blank because it crashed to desktop and then back up. Might be another point in this video where it did it but that was one point I know it occurs without question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrsAJ9YVETU​​

Top DPS 102k
    And on the Charity stream that I was thinking of it was SWTOR that I was playing and switched later that day to STO but wasn't streaming at that time until my show started.​​

Top DPS 102k
    I'll watch later on my lunch break to see what your crash looks like, but I have to ask, do you get asked to verify your game files or does it just crash straight out to desktop once you Alt+Ctrl+Delete? I do not typically get asked to verify my files on my crash.

Most of the time my freeze-ups occur at the 94% mark, so I'm wondering if we have the same crash or not.

I've had it crash at 41%, 78%, and 90% for myself.

Rarely asked to verify files. In fact, only one time that I recall. I can typically get right back into it. What I notice is it will load and suddenly stops and freezes. After a moment or two I click on the screen and get a "not responding" message from windows which then closes it.​​

Top DPS 102k
    General:
    The program GameClient.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: c7c
    Start Time: 01d10ae22a14c292
    Termination Time: 85
    Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe
    Report Id: c9c538b7-76d6-11e5-8283-000000005aad
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

HTML Code:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Hang

- EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 101

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2015-10-20T03:01:04.000000000Z

EventRecordID 7929

Channel Application

Computer <REMOVED>

Security

- EventData

GameClient.exe
    c7c
    01d10ae22a14c292
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe
    c9c538b7-76d6-11e5-8283-000000005aad

55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000​​

Top DPS 102k
    OK...by the numbers, it looks like you and I DO have the same crash.

Now, I do not see what difference this should make, but I'm going to put the question out to everyone else with the crash to rule it out as a possibility. Are people who do NOT use Steam getting this crash as well as people who do? Like I said, it's very unlikely in my mind for that to be the cause but I want to conclusively eliminate it.

But at the same time, it is always a possibility. I'll repost this link on Twitter and on the FB group I manage.​​

Top DPS 102k
  • rjflyer7rjflyer7 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    So is this issue only being seen on computers running Windows 8 or higher?

Running Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Home and a version of MAC OS X on four different computers using STEAM, each computer a totally unique build, and all was working fine as of late last evening.
    edited October 2015
    Seeing as how we're posting our technical specs now I suppose I may as well throw mine on the pile.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit operating system.
    Processor:AMD FX(tm)-8150 8 core processor
    Ram:16 gigs of Vengeance Corsair ram
    Video card:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 ti
    hard drive: 1tb Western Digital internal SATA hard drive.

originally was using the old installation until about 2 months ago. game was reinstalled using arc. I've been going in through the game launcher, bypassing ARC outright.

Hangs around 40, 71, 93 if it's going to do so. At random times can white screen and freeze though it's not guaranteed to do so. Does it more so on map transitions such as exiting a mission than it does actually toon swapping. It also did not start doing this as bad as it has been until back in July. Before that time I would get the occasional hang but those were few and far between. I'm also not seeing any spikes in Ram or CPU usage that could cause this to happen as I can monitor this in real time. STO is also the only program I have that does this. Shifting into safe mode or using the proxy servers I haven't noticed this as much but it still does happen just not as frequently.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Yeah, I've looked into RAM/CPU spikes after the fact as well, and so far haven't found any record of one.

Also--sounds like we have ruled out the Steam and Arc clients as having anything to do with anything.

So the question comes to bear, Windows 7 users getting the same errors? If so this could come to .net versions or other items of interest that are different between 7 and 8 or higher.

Top DPS 102k
    So the question comes to bear, Windows 7 users getting the same errors? If so this could come to .net versions or other items of interest that are different between 7 and 8 or higher.

sounds like @darkbladejk has Windows 7 and some kind of similar error. Would 7/8.1 users be using a different .NET version than Windows 10?

indeed I am getting errors. This started at least for me back in July. The question I would ask is when most of us started noticing this and what changed at that time. I also have a fleet mate that was getting errors and upgraded to windows 10 and his issues disappeared. Aside from just upgrading to 10 he's done nothing else to his computer.

I have 10 on mine, and it started the patch before the 8th of this month on this issue. Before that I was just having heavy SNR's and often. My TS I am a part of when I play all are almost ready for an SNR drinking game. Now, it's the SNR/Client crashing game.​​

Top DPS 102k
    indeed I am getting errors. This started at least for me back in July. The question I would ask is when most of us started noticing this and what changed at that time. I also have a fleet mate that was getting errors and upgraded to windows 10 and his issues disappeared. Aside from just upgrading to 10 he's done nothing else to his computer.

I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10...I even permanently disabled the obnoxious little popup. I'm probably one of the few freaks that LIKED Windows 8.1.

But anyway, I am not sure what month my crashes started. I do know it was at least a few episodes into the Iconian War season because at the very beginning of the season I'd actually been seeing faster load times than I'd ever encountered before.
    I have 10 on mine, and it started the patch before the 8th of this month on this issue. Before that I was just having heavy SNR's and often. My TS I am a part of when I play all are almost ready for an SNR drinking game. Now, it's the SNR/Client crashing game.​​

Don't tell me you have until the SNR countdown ends to finish the whole shot... O_O

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

I'm in Windows 7, I get the same error. Frankly, it's widespread. Wouldn't be surprised if Windows XP and Vista also suffer.