Install Arc
Options

Map Transition Whitescreen Freeze/Crash

Comments

• Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    gulberat wrote: »
    saross wrote: »
    I have 10 on mine, and it started the patch before the 8th of this month on this issue. Before that I was just having heavy SNR's and often. My TS I am a part of when I play all are almost ready for an SNR drinking game. Now, it's the SNR/Client crashing game.

Don't tell me you have until the SNR countdown ends to finish the whole shot... O_O

Get's better than that. Each time I get an SNR you take a shot. When people play with me they always get smashed and give up after the first 5 in 5 minutes.​​
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    lucho80 wrote: »
    saross wrote: »
    So the question comes to bear, Windows 7 users getting the same errors? If so this could come to .net versions or other items of interest that are different between 7 and 8 or higher.

I'm in Windows 7, I get the same error. Frankly, it's widespread. Wouldn't be surprised if Windows XP and Vista also suffer.

OK.

So, has people started changing the .net setting options to see if there's any changes? Maybe game is reaching a convergence and needs to address .net crashing issues? Or some other settings in the game graphics area?​​
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    jenova9jenova9 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I also have this issue. Over the last month, I cannot transfer from Beta quadrant sector space to Earth Spacedock without STO crashing & having to restart.

My system & client info.:
    Windows Vista 32-bit w/4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 630GT. STO launcher used is NEITHER from Steam nor Arc; I used the launcher itself only.

Map transfer crashing occurs once per 3 times played, or 1/3 or 33% of play sessions have a crash occur, and requires client restart (this is for all transfers to/from any maps; see transfer to ESD details mentioned next). So far, this has never yet caused Windows to crash and/or require restart. Map crashing now occurs EVERY time I transfer from sector to Earth Spacedock. I simply cannot get to Earth Spacedock system without game client crashing & requring restart, which is now part of my journey to Earth Spacedock. This almost always happens at 40% of loading progress. This crash occurs only once per session; after crash/restart, it doesn't happen again until the next time I launch the game client.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Almost never is the first map transition you make after start/restart the one that crashes, even if it's a "bad map" like the Alpha Quadrant. And yes, ESD Space is one where I've noticed it too. After that first map transition/character load-in is done, it seems like from there the probability of a crash increases.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    mrbaconsahmrbaconsah Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Windows 10.... 64bit, very modern PC, have a crash on most transitions... Not only that, have issues when changing chars - the counter freezes on the right hand side.

I have done full file verify and all is good there - also reset config and tried that... NOPE..

Happens on Neverwinter too.

Full virus/malware scans reveal nothing, nothing strange in boot up/registry and autoruns doesn't reveal anything significant.

No strange software shell extensions, etc...

Just started happening more recently too.. Latest drivers for everything, so at a loss as to know what it could be apart from game code changes.
  • Options
    And by modern PC I mean Win 10 X64 32gb memory, 980GTX, Sammy M.2 Pro SSD, I7, the works...
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Now THAT is very interesting that it's happening in Neverwinter too! I don't play that game so I never would have known.

Did it start doing that in Neverwinter at the same time it started in STO for you?

@mrbaconsah: Do you also play Champions or any other Cryptic title? Even the Neverwinter bit is helpful...I think this may be a rather critical piece of information as to what type of problem it is.
    Post edited by gulberat on

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    nciss wrote: »
    I am also on Win 7 Pro with a custom build and have the same issue, but like most of the gaming community has already stated; there seems to be no specific map. The counter gets to approximately 40% and freezes, but I went to Tech Support/CS and they were trying to tell me the problem was my computer was causing an error. I politely told CS "horse-hockey", none of my other programs, games, files or business apps do this.

I think we now have enough data here to flatly disprove the idea that a particular Windows version causes it. The only thing I can even think at this point is a fundamental coding error affecting MULTIPLE Cryptic titles, or a conflict with something that people with several versions of Windows are ALL using, such as DirectX or .NET. What I am beginning to suspect now is that Cryptic pushed an update--or failed to appropriately address an update FROM Microsoft or another company--to multiple or even all of their games.

To me we can also now conclusively eliminate the idea that this crash is down to a specific map or a specific type of object or power unique to STO. Certainly there are other bugs like that out there, but this is not one of them.

Seeking further feedback from players of Neverwinter and Champions as to whether they get map transition crashes.

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Alright I've tried updating my .net framework to just see if that helps along with a few other things. There's one or 2 other things I can try and if they don't work my reserved copy of windows 10 just came through. If I absolutely have to I'll do the upgrade to just see if it's something that a semi-fresh copy of windows can fix.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    Alright I've tried updating my .net framework to just see if that helps along with a few other things. There's one or 2 other things I can try and if they don't work my reserved copy of windows 10 just came through. If I absolutely have to I'll do the upgrade to just see if it's something that a semi-fresh copy of windows can fix.

I appreciate your troubleshooting. I would not be keen on the "solution" being "change my version of Windows" though, as stability across Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 simultaneously should have been standard.

That said, your results may offer Cryptic some ideas on what happened, and if they did miss the cross-OS compatibility boat, where they might need to look to stabilize the code.

• Options
    I'm fully patched on Windows 10 - My Neverwinter STILL exhibits the same problems - I don't play champions.

I would like to Add that this problem actually originated on my Neverwinter game.

To add to this: My sister also plays both, and had the same issues which we managed to resolve (I cannot remember how though) but she hasn't tried Neverwinter tonight. She's not seeing the STO issues I have - but has done in the past. It's almost kind of random in choosing it's targets?!

To be honest, I have no idea, as troubleshooting the network is not helpful either, everything appears to be getting through, just the client crashes for some unknown reason.

I don't think it's a network issue (I could be wrong on corrupted packets) - it appears to send them
    I don't think it's a specific .NET issue as I have older and later versions on different platforms (Windows 7, 8.1 and 10)
    I DO think it's a driver issue, as it's a client crash.

Now I'm NVidia with PhysX enabled, not changed that, and the GFX does go a bit fan loud, but it's hard to say with a surround screen setup, as they do tend to do that anyway..

The point being, it's a client crash for some bad data somewhere, it's not file data that I've seen, it's looking more network related. I cannot confirm any more than that without having (or trying) to decrypt the packets.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm fairly sure it's not a lag-induced issue, as I less frequently encounter SNR's compared to some users, and only seem to get hit with them when there are high numbers of complaints about lagging. The freezes, however, can happen at any time.

In what sense would it still be a network problem?

• Options
    I don't think it's lag induced. I think it's more a network related timing issue or something along those lines, as I said the packets seem to be intact.

But this is all speculation.
  • Options
    mrbaconsah wrote: »
    I don't think it's lag induced. I think it's more a network related timing issue or something along those lines, as I said the packets seem to be intact.

But this is all speculation.

You'd think that it wouldn't happen in predetermined spots during the transition, then...but I am not a programmer so I could be wrong.

• Options
    It just appears the network just stops sending - that's all I can see.
  • Options
    It just appears the network just stops sending - that's all I can see.

And that's where I am not so sure. The network not sending seems to me like it would be an SNR (the little red "Server Not Responding") text and wouldn't make the application itself hang. When I've had SNR's it occurs wholly at random and can be in transition OR during gameplay. This only hits at certain predetermined percentages in loading the map.

Are you getting the freeze-up after an SNR? If so that would be different than what I've had.

• Options
    Okay so a bit of an update on what i've found. I tried to make sure that the NAT type on my router wasn't causing an issue, like it can with consoles if it's set to moderate or restricted, and this had no effect. After this I made sure to throw on a fresh install of the latest .net framework. This actually has helped quite a bit in clearing things up. I've tried multiple toons with rapid map changes in a test area and it's worked well so far. This leads me to believe that it is indeed something network related. I would advise everyone to make sure you have the latest version of the .net framework directly from the microsoft website. anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Almost never is the first map transition you make after start/restart the one that crashes, even if it's a "bad map" like the Alpha Quadrant. And yes, ESD Space is one where I've noticed it too. After that first map transition/character load-in is done, it seems like from there the probability of a crash increases.

Actually, one out of 5 times, I get the whitescreen/crash after I press engage on the launcher. Then also, about 1 on 5 times, it crashes while loading the very first map.
    Okay so a bit of an update on what i've found. I tried to make sure that the NAT type on my router wasn't causing an issue, like it can with consoles if it's set to moderate or restricted, and this had no effect. After this I made sure to throw on a fresh install of the latest .net framework. This actually has helped quite a bit in clearing things up. I've tried multiple toons with rapid map changes in a test area and it's worked well so far. This leads me to believe that it is indeed something network related. I would advise everyone to make sure you have the latest version of the .net framework directly from the microsoft website. anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

I'll check this computer, but I know Windows 10 has 4.6 by default (I have STO in this one, but it's my very old gaming laptop). I checked the registry in this computer (Windows 7) and it has the very latest version available which is 4.5.2 and all security patches are installed.

Let me try playing some patrol maps in Windows 10. By the way, the Windows 10 install is fresh and the only 2 programs installed there are Chrome and I have STO in it's own folder, no Arc or Steam involved. The launcher runs with admin priviledges.
    I DO think it's a driver issue, as it's a client crash.

Now I'm NVidia with PhysX enabled, not changed that, and the GFX does go a bit fan loud, but it's hard to say with a surround screen setup, as they do tend to do that anyway..

The point being, it's a client crash for some bad data somewhere, it's not file data that I've seen, it's looking more network related. I cannot confirm any more than that without having (or trying) to decrypt the packets.

On one of the crashes, STO did crash the Nvidia driver.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    OK...I'll update this as I test, but if I'm seeing this right, I may be multiple versions behind on my .NET framework (looks like Version 4.0). I'm going to try it with the latest version and see what happens.

It may take a few days to prove whether or not this solution addresses the problem for me...or it may come as soon as within minutes if I have another crash. We'll see what happens. :)

• Options
    robothitchhikerrobothitchhiker Member Posts: 277 Bug Hunter
    I have not run into this issue yet, so maybe a negative result can help narrow things down. Info about my system:

Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX 570 (Driver 340.52)
    .NET Framework 4.5.1

Game settings:
    - No on demand patching
    - Graphics settings near max except for detail distance and anisotropic filtering
    - Running in Windowed Maximized (1920 x 1080)​​
  • Options
    admiralwuffadmiralwuff Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I'm getting a load freeze & the game stops responding. I have to close & re-enter on almost every map. I am currently investigating whether file verification will solve or delay it. I highly doubt it though.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Bulldozer Hex-Core.
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 295x2.

• Options
    admiralwuffadmiralwuff Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Seems force verifying the files from the launcher as either stopped or delayed it. Hopefully it will continue to work.
  • Options
    Seems force verifying the files from the launcher as either stopped or delayed it. Hopefully it will continue to work.

Keep your eyes peeled. Unfortunately, force verifying multiple times never stopped it.

FYI the jury is still out on whether the .NET upgrade I did before I logged in tonight has or will do any good.

• Options
    the .net update i won't guarantee will get rid of everything but it has helped quite a bit in my case. i'm still getting some hangs but i'm still convinced it's a network issue.

• Options
    pjlietz1pjlietz1 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I have this issue almost nightly. Happens on map transfers at about 41~ sec load times. I din't have a crash log but will add one latter. Here are the system specs, it's a custom system.

Machine name: MAINFRAMEXIII
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150928-1507)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/25/12 15:15:53 Ver: 33.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16326MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67B0)
    Display Memory: 4095 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 3072 MB
    Shared Memory: 1023 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Driver Version: 14.100.0.0

Description: Speakers (ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes

I can add more info if needed.
  • Options
    harrisjohnhharrisjohnh Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I've been having the same problem for about the last two weeks. Whenever I transition between maps, it hangs at 40% and change. It doesn't crash on its own. Instead, I have to force-close it.

I'm running the original, pre-ARC install on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

(I don't know how to post the logs, but I suspect it's similar to the others posted here.)
  • Options
    OK, update...the .NET update did NOT prevent the crashing. I went for a few nights without any of it and it started again today.

• Options
    The .net framework update wasn't 100% effective for me either but it was something. This suggests to me that there's something else, probably simple that we're missing. I'm sure all of us here for the most part keep our machines updated regularly so what that could be I'm not sure of. It seems that for all of us that network is the common denominator. The question I would ask now is, how do we go about determining what in the network. .net framework doesn't seem to have worked and if it has then not completely.

I still cannot shake the feeling there's something on either the server end, with perhaps a recent patch, or something between us and the servers.

• Options
    I think it is entirely possible Cryptic is the one that missed an update or failed in ensuring compatibility with a critical component that a lot of people use--and if the statement about Neverwinter is correct, they did it on multiple games. It's not anything wrong with any of our builds.