Install Arc
Options

Design Your Ship Round 6 [Epsilon VS Omega]

Comments

• Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    maxvitor wrote: »
    No way we get 3 hangars. The OP screaming would be deafening.
    you know both designs have 3 hangers, right?
    They have 3 hanger doors, Don't number the hangers by the number of bay doors, go by the level they are on, doors that are on the same level could be opening into a single large hanger deck.
    Epsilon nacelles, omega body. Thus saith Picard, "Make it so number one." Seriously though that would be the best ship ever!
    Epsilon nacelles and Pylons, that's an important detail otherwise you end up with the Epsilon engines sticking way out on the ends of the Omegas Pylon arrangement, as for the Epsilons aft hull, I'm on the fence, it may be a necessary detail for the use of the Epsilon Pylons and It does seem to fill what seems to me to be an empty space, since I am not a fan of monohulls.
    yakodym wrote: »
    bunansa wrote: »
    Any notion Trendy on if the Epsilon/Omega Hybrid was looked at? :open_mouth:
    While an explicit hybrid won't happen, I've been taking feedback to the team that will inevitably influence the modeling portion of the ship design.

May I ask why it wont happen? how hard is it to make it happen unless....the ship is actually already modeled in which case myself and a few others will be proven right.

Well, the reason is IMHO simple... If you change the design mid-vote, you can be absolutely certain that there will be tons of people complaining that this is not what they voted for, regardless of how big the #teamomegaepsilonalpha majority of the forum minority thinks it is ;-) So yeah, basically you can just throw feedback at them, and hope that the options they'll give us for the modelling phase will somehow reflect that feedback :-D
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    While an explicit hybrid won't happen, I've been taking feedback to the team that will inevitably influence the modeling portion of the ship design.

May I ask why it wont happen? how hard is it to make it happen unless....the ship is actually already modeled in which case myself and a few others will be proven right.

Well, the reason is IMHO simple... If you change the design mid-vote, you can be absolutely certain that there will be tons of people complaining that this is not what they voted for, regardless of how big the #teamomegaepsilonalpha majority of the forum minority thinks it is ;-) So yeah, basically you can just throw feedback at them, and hope that the options they'll give us for the modelling phase will somehow reflect that feedback :-D

This, precisely.
    Minor changes can happen here and there, but something as drastic as a hybrid design pretty much defeats the entire point of the contest.
    It's not even over yet, either, so all the people goin' hard for hybrid designs are essentially jumping the gun, and in the wrong direction to boot.
    Personally speaking, I'd actually love to see minor elements from the unused designs make it into the final one. And specifically from the Epsilon/Omega hybrid people have been about the last few days, I'd actually really just like to see some of the Epsilon's pylon arrangement make it into the Omega, but nothing really more than that.
    You both seem to be forgetting that the main reason why someone decided to kitbash together this design is because a great many people were voting for designs they found the least undesireable while complaining about the designers absurd fixation with odd sized engines on fragile looking pylons, having included no designs with equal sized engines for people to choose from. If the design has not actually already been made, which frankly I seriously doubt, since this contest has been crafted as cleverly as these models to lead to a predictable outcome, but if the design is not complete, then right now is the point at which to give feedback. No one is expecting them to abandon their existing design, but we are certainly hoping they will consider customization options that will allow us to incorporate what we are talking about here. That way those who like the Omega as it is can have it so, while those who want a more compact equal sized engine arrangement with or without an auxiliary pod can have that.

I'm not forgetting that at all.

What everyone else is forgetting is that the contest is specifically about picking out from a set of designs.

Not about picking out a design you kinda-sorta like, and then adding a bunch of parts from other designs on it.

It's actually great that the devs are listening to what we're talking about and considering adding in minor details to whatever design eventually wins, even though they are not obligated to do so whatsoever.

But it needs to be kind of accepted that the overall motifs for the designs for this upcoming ship may not precisely line up with every little thing they like.

As it stands, it's not even that the design isn't complete. It's that the design isn't even picked out yet. Once the design is picked out, then give feedback. Or at least, I guess more feedback, since it seems feedback has been a hefty part of the dialogue going on on these threads.

And frankly, since when is the feature of "long nacelles on spindly pylons" unacceptable? I mean, literally, the first Star Trek ship ever created, Kirk's Enterprise, has exactly those features. And it's a look I kinda dig on some ships. Makes them look graceful.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamEpsilon
    Of course Omega wins. Yeah. This is how I feel about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDxPG3KrtA
    Post edited by monkeybone13 on
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    That the winner is the Omega is a foregone conclusion, people went into this having chosen the Omega from the start. The Alpha pulling off a win at this point I would consider a fluke.
    Kirk's Enterprise was a dinosaur, spindly pylons were abandoned as technology evolved, obviously for some good reason. A carrier by default is a warship, nothing else, long pylons may look "graceful" but on a warship they are a liability, a huge target jutting away from the ship asking to be fired upon.
    I'm willing to bet if we had been given a bunch of parts to choose from, using a relatively simple to script paperdoll ship building graphic to place our choices and then an average was taken from the highest proportion of parts used in those choices, the winning design would look very much like vandread010's kitbash.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    Spindly pylons haven't exactly gone out of style, in either STO or Trek canon proper.
    I mean, in STO, the best example would be the Odyssey.
    And in Trek canon, we have the Enterprise-J.
    Heck, even the Sovereign has long, drawn out nacelles on somewhat slender looking pylons, though it does manage to still look somewhat more robust.
    Even the Olympic class has this going on.

The idea behind the look evolved from the notion that, even though those parts of the ship looked weak and frail, the fact that they held up was a testament to the technology put into them. Making them look fantastical in a way.

Yes, the technology "evolved" so to speak, but honestly the prime motivator behind those gradual changes was really more the changes in aesthetic. Short and stubby looked more "modern" to us, ironically enough. So ships started to look less futuristic and more realistic.
    But frankly, I'm glad Cryptic is experimenting with a more "old school" design idea. Shows they know their Trek pretty well.
  • Options
    lieutenantogrelieutenantogre Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamEpsilon
    I didn't have a favorite for this one, and by the looks of it. My random pick wasn't in the majority. I liked the saucer on both of them, and the hull, pylons, and nacelles came out a wash from my perspective. I think people just wanted Alpha to go against Omega. :D
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    #TeamEpsilon

This, precisely.
    Minor changes can happen here and there, but something as drastic as a hybrid design pretty much defeats the entire point of the contest.
    It's not even over yet, either, so all the people goin' hard for hybrid designs are essentially jumping the gun, and in the wrong direction to boot.
    Personally speaking, I'd actually love to see minor elements from the unused designs make it into the final one. And specifically from the Epsilon/Omega hybrid people have been about the last few days, I'd actually really just like to see some of the Epsilon's pylon arrangement make it into the Omega, but nothing really more than that.

Not that precisely, it was help us design the ship, we been voting and now some of us are saying what needs to be done, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that since it is in the context of help cryptic make a new ship, were voicing concerns and or opinions, and I don't see how any one person could be wrong overall with any decision made, I think some need to remember that this is more then one phase to this whole build a ship thing.

Asking for the hybrid isn't far fetched, expecting it to happen is, but asking isn't. I would be more then happy to toss 30 bucks down for the 2.1 version shown, but the omega by itself, sorry ill keep my money for something else.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    #TeamOmega

This, precisely.

Not that precisely, it was help us design the ship, we been voting and now some of us are saying what needs to be done, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that since it is in the context of help cryptic make a new ship, were voicing concerns and or opinions, and I don't see how any one person could be wrong overall with any decision made, I think some need to remember that this is more then one phase to this whole build a ship thing.

Asking for the hybrid isn't far fetched, expecting it to happen is, but asking isn't. I would be more then happy to toss 30 bucks down for the 2.1 version shown, but the omega by itself, sorry ill keep my money for something else.

That's fine, and that's your prerogative, but again:
    The "some of you saying what needs to be done" part? Is less "what needs to be done" and more "what we would like to be done for our own personal tastes".
    Don't conflate the two, please.

And yes, this is simply Phase One of the ship design event. But as I said, it's not even done yet and people are stamping the ground and demanding the moon.
    Maybe we should simply wait to see how it plays out, before giving any more feedback as to what minor details we'd like for the devs to incorporate into the final design.
  • Options
    highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    to all the "NAY" sayers.....what "WE" asked for is not them to change Omega or Epsilon BUT, take that Hybrid and give it as another Option to Vote for (maybe at the end Versus the Winner of the Contest??) SIMPLE AS THAT, we dont ask for any "Moons" nor are we pointing any "Guns" bla bla bla bla, if they say "help us to build YOUR Ship" than its the most NATURAL thing for us to expect them to LISTEN to what we have to say, to have a look at OUR Ideas, ANYTHING else defeats the whole Purpose of involving us into making that thing.

If thats the case, they just should have come up with something and put it into the C-Store, likers will buy it, the rest not. Here and now they have the CHANCE to see what we really would like to have (again NO moons or whatever) and by ALL RIGHTS, it cant be that hard to use that Kitbash that someone probably did in 5 Minutes in Paint with THEIR Property THEIR Design Parts, and just Present it to us at the End, if enough People Vote for it than that Shows that the Majority INDEED Wants it! And if not, well than it shal be Alpha or Omega

So again all you Nay Sayer...WHAT IN THE WORLD is the Problem here? Seriously? is the only reason for your "NAY" just because you can? :/
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    So the Alpha and Omega have been left at the end of the competition. Very interesting coincidence I must admit :D
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    plogen61plogen61 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I want Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser, as a tier 6 or fleet version!!!!!!!
  • Options
    #TeamOmega
    The "some of you saying what needs to be done" part? Is less "what needs to be done" and more "what we would like to be done for our own personal tastes".

And yes, this is simply Phase One of the ship design event. But as I said, it's not even done yet and people are stamping the ground and demanding the moon.
    Maybe we should simply wait to see how it plays out, before giving any more feedback as to what minor details we'd like for the devs to incorporate into the final design.
    Who is stamping the ground demanding the moon? The only one being so dramatic appears to be you. Everyone else is merely putting their support behind a desireable option, but not really expecting much from it.
    So the Alpha and Omega have been left at the end of the competition. Very interesting coincidence I must admit :D
    I truly suspect it's not that much of a coincidence.

If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Alpha looks better.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    #TeamEpsilon
    sooner have the T6 sovi/regent
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    plogen61 wrote: »
    I want Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser, as a tier 6 or fleet version!!!!!!!

While we're making requests, I'd like a T6 Galor or other Cardassian ship so my Cardi can keep playing a ship that fits him. My Ferengi got one!
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Omega its a carrier and a nice looking one at that
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega

Who is stamping the ground demanding the moon? The only one being so dramatic appears to be you. Everyone else is merely putting their support behind a desireable option, but not really expecting much from it.

I'm hardly being dramatic, considering the last several pages of people fawning over hybrid design image ideas in this topic alone. Not to mention that the idea isn't even exactly a new one, as it's been brought up several times whenever a new round in this phase started up.
    That's not even me being hyperbolic, it's simply a factual observation.
    And honestly, all I have asked for is for people to try and hold off on that kind of thing til the winner was picked, not that I expect anyone to really take it to heart. I do not think it's too unreasonable of a thought.
  • Options
    highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    #TeamOmega

I'm hardly being dramatic, considering the last several pages of people fawning over hybrid design image ideas in this topic alone. Not to mention that the idea isn't even exactly a new one, as it's been brought up several times whenever a new round in this phase started up.
    And honestly, all I have asked for is for people to try and hold off on that kind of thing til the winner was picked, not that I expect anyone to really take it to heart. I do not think it's too unreasonable of a thought.

again HOW and WHY is it Unreasonable? you People say NAY NAY NAY, but without giving a real Reason, will it Cost Cryptic an Arm and a Leg if they just take that Kitbash (which they own the rights to 100% cause THEIR PARTS) and give it us as another Option to Vote? HELL iam sure EVERYONE here would be allready happy if someone from Cryptic would just made an official statement here, telling us that they will give us those Parts as optional so we can Create THIS Hybrid in the Tailor, whats the Problem? Who is losing something? NO ONE, who is gaining something? ANYONE who would like that Design over the stock ones, i asked it before and i do again, HOW HARD can that be? the thing is, its not about whether or not they can, its about do they want??? If they are in the slightest interested in Happy Customers, than they would do so, but if they are not interested what their Customers think and want, than they will just Ignore their wishes, and that cant be a good Business model :/
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    @highlandrise Realistically speaking, if they are making it as a new unique ship (meaning not part of a 3-pack and not tied into any previous class of ships), then judging by the last few T6 ships they introduced, the best we can hope for is two models - basic and fleet, and even then it's not certain, if the only difference doesn't end up being just a different paint-job. One of those models is going to be the winner of this voting madness - That much is imho certain, the conditions have been known from the start, and changing them mid-vote *would* one way or another cause delays (due to some disgruntled voters or someshuch), which I would guess they would like to avoid. The second model might or might or might not be the runner-up (which is most likely, sice it would have the most design work already put into it), or it could possibly be some ship designed to bring in all the interesting kitbashing options, but at this point, we have no way of knowing what do they mean by saying that they are monitoring the popularity of the individual designs and the feedback - they might use it for this design, or the next, but either way, the ball is on their side now.

(on a side note, I also like OEA the most, and I believe that the devs are aware of the OEA support group, and that they are taking this feedback into consideration, but ultimately, it's their company and their product, and the only thing we can do is to either take it or leave it)
  • Options
    #TeamOmega
    I understand what you are saying but I am also being realistic. In these discussions how many people even mention the Alpha? Except when discussing cannibalizing parts for another ship of course. How many rave about their preference for the Alpha, talk about the Alpha as if this contest were concluded and the Alpha were the winning design? Not many from what I can see, whereas the Omega is very much the talk of the town and has been throughout this contest. I would venture to say the Alpha only made it this far because of it's similarities to the Omega, so it is not unreasonable to expect this final stage will merely be a formality, the winner having been decided in most people's minds long ago and to base any design improvisations on that premise.
    If these designs are not yet solidified then now is the time to impress upon the designers the interests of their customers, the longer we delay, the less likely anything we suggest will be considered.

Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    #TeamOmega apparently I am jumping on the bandwagon with this one.. but the new concept design pictures give a much better peek at what the final product may look like. I have to say Omega looks more menacing, and carrier like than Episilon and I LIKE that! I have to add,, with the new pictures showing more angles and a little more detail, if ALL the entries had these same sort of pictures from the beginning would things have turned out differently?
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    No need for a final round. Just make Alpha a Sci-Eng Carrier with better survivability thru shield and hull heal, and make Omega a Sci-Tac with better maneuverability and sci exploit (also able to load cannons). Both can carry a light ship (raider-type) ship and/or fighter load out.
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    #TeamEpsilon
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    No need for a final round. Just make Alpha a Sci-Eng Carrier with better survivability thru shield and hull heal, and make Omega a Sci-Tac with better maneuverability and sci exploit (also able to load cannons). Both can carry a light ship (raider-type) ship and/or fighter load out.

This, even though I like Alpha the most, it'd be a shame to loose the other designs. Omega isn't keen on my eye, but why not make both ships from final into the game? Or even better make both designs available as kitbashing, so we can customize our ship with parts of both.

5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    Somehow I don't see any of the losing designs surviving as an alternate, but then I can't see all of this for just one canned design with no options for customization, that just doesn't strike me as sensible. Even if one design wins it's still leaving a lot of unsatisfied people out in the cold, that wouldn't be wise if they want to profit from this as much as possible.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    Awesome looking, I think the devs should have voted for parts of the ship instead for whole ships, that way we could have chosen the saucer, the nacelles, the body ewtc.

I thought when this promotion was first mentioned we would be kit bashing us a carrier. You know pick the nacells we want this week, saucer the next. Oh well, I still think things turned out good.

P.S. Heres my worry. I think a carrier should be big. Some of these ships that are labeled as carriers are as small as escorts. I hope its as big as a Jem hadar dread or a Tal shiar battle cruiser (witch should be a 2 hanger bay ship btw). If it is, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

• Options
    #TeamOmega
    Big depends on the scale they finally make it, I look at details like windows and the size of bay doors to get an indication, but that can be misleading, the intel ships have windows that would make you think the ships are enormous. We can only hope they are going to give us a realistically sized carrier with believable stats, not something ridiculous, time will tell.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Of course Omega wins. Yeah. This is how I feel about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDxPG3KrtA

I don't care how old those are, I still laff my TRIBBLE off when I watch them.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    christ4uchrist4u Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamEpsilon
    Voting for Omega BUT..

I must digress.

Take the saucer section of the Omega, Strap the Epsion Hull and Nacelles, make it a 4 Pylon version...

I could go for an omega/epsilon hybrid of this nature. Make it so!

It is done.

Omega%202_zpsyaafcvdg.png

Epsilon/Omega Hybrid. Yes my paint skills wont get me hired anytime soon XD[/quote]

With or without the Alpha mission pod, this is hands down the best design in the competition; I would vote for it over any of the losing ships that I've voted for thus far, and definitely over any of the ships left in the competition.

The Omega saucer with the symmetrical Epsilon nacelles and closer pylons is the most beautiful possible use of the parts that we've been presented.[/quote]

The thing looks like a mix/match of the Voyager & Prometheus

• Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    I think we are going to end with a carrier of drones (the carrier is going to be so small that will use only drones to attack) (sarcasm wholeheartedly intended)
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    #TeamOmega
    Sarcasm or not I wouldn't be surprised :P
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Why not #TeamAlpeta or #TeamOmalpha?

I'm not going to be changing the designs mid-go as that would fall back from the intended designs that people have been voting on. There are folks who like the idea of an Omega Epsilon hybrid, but then again there are a lot of folks that just want the Omega design. While I have been taking feedback, a drastic redesign of an iteration that people have been rallying behind already for weeks would do injustice for those who simply like Omega.

Leave Omega Alone!
    (That was meant to be a reference to Leave Britney Alone. It's early)
This discussion has been closed.