test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time for a duty officer system overhaul?

2»

Comments

• Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I don't care.
    meh
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yes, it's time for an overhaul.
    Don't forget that the rewards of missions seem fairly random. You can get a huge payout for no input materials and/or short completion time. Then other missions require a lot of materials and/or many days to complete for little reward. There needs to be some work done on reward scale.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    No, the Doff System is Ok.
    Vote yes if you want another 50% doff exp nerf.

Or Dil, or contraband or cxp to fleetmarks nerf.

Leave the doff system as it is. I’s so good. :p
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    Don't forget that the rewards of missions seem fairly random. You can get a huge payout for no input materials and/or short completion time. Then other missions require a lot of materials and/or many days to complete for little reward. There needs to be some work done on reward scale.

You do remember how that went the last time, right? Honestly, do you even give a TRIBBLE anymore what the Local Governor has been up to?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    I said other. Why?

Because I actually want the original DOFF system. The UI was more user-friendly (especially getting rid of prisoners and colonists), the XP wasn't nerfed, and the Sector Space was working as intended. (New Version I have to go to certain spots, not sectors, to get my missions).
  • Options
    lillihennylillihenny Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Sector space/New Romulus/ESD could all stand to be brought in line with the missions on offer in the Solanae Dyson sphere. A very tidy area for finding fair assignments from all schools. Of the missions on offer outside the sphere there's only a very small handful I keep an eye out for. The rest are showing their age and at this point it seems like the only argument for keeping them in-game is to pad out the list.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    Azurianstar pretty much hit it. Cryptic's redesign of the UI, the nerfing of XP payouts and its fascination with converting parts of the game to where cell phone users could do doff missions has really screwed up the current doff system UI.

IMO, since Gateway development is on indefinite hold, they really should go back to the old UI. It was a far more efficient layout than what we currently have. The new UI wastes space and is more cumbersome than it needs to be.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    No because the last one made it not as good and I don't want it to get worse again.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    They fairly recently overhauled the doff system. I doubt the will be doing another overhaul of this system anytime soon.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    It needs some changes. Such as more predictable rewards. But mainly I'd like to see the active doff part changed. I mean you can slot more than one of some types of doffs but not others and if you have a ground doff that limits you from equipping space doffs. I'd probably prefer one doff per type and remove the overlap between ground and space.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    DoFF system is fine. Don't change it give us more of it. Can't wait for admiralty system.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    How do you change your department head?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    Read my signature to have my opinion on this subject.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    I can say a some issues could be addressed...for instance, having a 0% disaster, 0% fail, 75% success, 25% critical chance and getting a disaster that puts your doffs in sickbay.

You shouldn't get a disaster (at least not often, rounding problems notwithstanding - the 0% could be a .1% e.g.) but doffs in sickbay is a different die roll than success. Disasters have a higher chance of putting doffs into sickbay (at least I think they do), but it was always possible that somebody got hurt during an otherwise successful mission.

My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    cassiusdiocassiusdio Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    Well maybe fix the "vanished" doff missions in sector space which are hiding on the sector borders now...and to be honest i rly dont get what you do after reaching lvl 4.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    cassiusdio wrote: »
    and to be honest i rly dont get what you do after reaching lvl 4.

Get fleet marks.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    I don't care.
    scarling wrote: »
    meh

Sums it up.

It's a card system, you click on menu buttons, then watch paint dry, have a sandwich, and then it's done. Entertainment factor minus 5000.

Anyway, I understand why some people like it, and it's not a bad thing to have on the side, but that's all it is, it really isn't a major feature to the game nor was it ever meant to be. I don't see why more resources are needed to put forward for this then it already has.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    I agree their track record is subpar, and I'm hesitant to have them do anything because of that track record, but there are a few features I would like to see added to the system to make it more meaningful:

1. Personal favorites tab, so that I can star all the missions that I actually want to run on a character and have a tab that only shows those.
    2. Similarly, flag "loser" missions so that certain duds I never have to see again.
    3. Single point of contact for the various daily missions (dilithium mine, personnel officer, research station, dilithium refining, etc.) so that I don't have to have every character run across the map - maybe the terminal in the Ready Room to make that more meaningful?
    4. Means of identifying specific duty officers that I actively want to keep AND same thing for disposable ones so that I know immediately who can be exchanged or executed.
    5. Standard setup/roster of duty officers for repeated missions.
    6. Remove "bound to character" status - at least make "bound to account" for all but the most special of officers.
    7. Reenable the ability to replicate holographic officers after they've been dismissed or lost.
    8. Add new chains/specialty missions periodically.
    9. Make the trivial energy credit and dilithium rewards more useful. That does not by default mean increase them, just make them more meaningful. I don't care if I get 5 dilithium or 490 credits - it will take a LOT of those to ever amount to anything.
    10. Standardize the impact of a critical success. I can find no rhyme or reason to what a critical success actually means across the board - sometimes it's 50% bonus, sometimes it's 25 times the reward.
    11. Give me officer exchange options that can fill my rosters with actual members of my faction - my Klingon ships have very few Klingons, my Romulan ships have almost not Romulans. The personnel officer lets me exchange at a large dilithium cost, but why isn't there even a single personnel transfer/exchange mission with my own people like there is the Cardassians, Paradans, etc.?

Ok, more than a few things, but I'd be happy with just the first 4.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    I went special because there's one thing I want to see done, and a few more that would be "real nice to have" but wouldn't "ruin the game" if they never happened...

Mandatory: Repair the map. The new sector space "advertised" that if you went into any of the old, say, Beta Ursae blocks, you'd see the missions the system generated for the "Beta Ursae block".
    Right now, they only appear in very specific stripes, and seem to have reverted to instance-by-instance appearance.

Real Nice to See:
    Nebula expansion. My understanding is that the DOffing mission lists are broken down / generated by "sector block". Back in the day, the Nebulas were nothing but "specialized mini-sector blocks" that contained links to the Genesis System mission generator and their "unique" DOff mission list.
    Well, with the removal of Genesis (exploration), access to the "unique" DOff mission list(s) for the appropriate nebulas were moved from "now empty sector blocks" to "interact points" originally at the "original sector block / nebula border, now findable at specific points within sector space.
    Once "sector space" is fixed to "properly identify" that being in an old Beta Ursae sector is supposed to grant access to Beta Ursae sector missions and being in old Sirius sectors like Vulcan / Andor give access to the Sirius list, why can't certain areas of the map be "changed" from being "Beta Ursae (Now Orellius, as Rolor moved a lot closer to Defera)" or "Regulus" to "Rolor Nebula" / "Arucanis Arm" respectively (and the remaining nebulas appropriately converted, too)? To help "identify" these regions, making a blue nebula "overlay" like the Badlands / Briar Patch have red/orange "overlays" and slapping "freighter" transwarps right into the middle of these regions would return all the functionality DOffers seek from the "original mini-sector blocks" such as "sharing mission lists from the bridge" and "pull in" for mission access (now without zoning as that was the benefit of unified sector space) while (hopefully) not breaking the system any more.

"Rewards Normalization". Because there's so many different inputs, and so many different outputs, and a touch of randomization in the rewards (chance to fail / variable reward) - I'm not sure that I can actually explain this in relatively short order, I'll debate as to whether I should make a "novel-length" post about this in the near future. Let's just say that a system in which being able to predict the "value" of a return based on the "value" of the inputs - and community knowledge of these values - would go a long way in "preventing forum fires" like the flare-up this thread is experiencing over the 12 hour mission reward reductions, and the "existence of missions that are way under-performing" can be definitively identified and corrected.

More missions and more chains. Granted, all these "recent space expansions" like S8's Solanae sphere, S8.5's Undine Battlezone, and S9's plethora of Delta quadrant related areas each come with a batch of DOffing missions to be done within them.
    However, while LoR came with a handful of "Romulan Specific" missions that were added to the existing mission lists, the past two expansions (Delta Rising and Iconian War) - both opportunities to add "thematically appropriate" missions / a new mission chain with stories that link back to the time-travelling / finding gear nature of DR or Anti-Herald missions in S10 were "missed opportunities" to expand the story via what DOffing (especially chains) could do.
    It's not too late. Well, why don't we make sure that S11 comes with a few new "exploration / rebuilding" stories told to us via generic missions and a mission chain or two for DOffing...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I'm fine with it as is.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It needs:
    1. A global master list of available assignments with locations, so you can find good assignments without blind searching. Categorized by department and/or reward type.
    2. A separate tab for picking your favorite assignments to easily keep track of them.
    3. Display assignments on cooldown as greyed out with a timer instead of hiding them completely.
    4. Restore the old sorting of the assignments in progress, completed and log by time.
    5. Filtering and/or sorting available assignment lists by things like completion time and rewards types.
    6. Show the exact positions of the zones where the assignment lists change in sector space, in the "astrometric" overlay and the map.
    7. Ability to lock doffs so you can't accidentally sell them or use them in doff-eating assignments. (this would be useful for items, too, BTW)

It could also use:
    1. Admiralty system integration. Ability to send doffs on assignment in a remote location (from the global/favorites lists) on board a spare admiralty card ship instead of having to carry them to destination yourself.
    2. New assignments with unique rewards and better spread around the galaxy.
    3. New chains.
    4. Repeatable chains.
    5. More doff roster space.
    6. Ability to reserve a part of the doff roster for a certain quality of doff, for easier downgrading doffs to white for fleet holding contribution (alternatively, ability to contribute non-white doffs and have them count as 3/9/27 whites without having to downgrade them manually first).
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    IMO, since Gateway development is on indefinite hold, they really should go back to the old UI. It was a far more efficient layout than what we currently have. The new UI wastes space and is more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Nope. Doffing got easier. UI got better. The system fills doff slots for you. You just need to select assignment and hit begin. You can't go more comfy than that. (In the old system you had choose doffs manually, just a reminder.)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    tyrellityrelli Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Ive been playing since the game became F2P and have only Maxed out the diplomacy on my fed character because it had the Transwarp perks .. currently Lvling up the Trade (as im a ferengi) But I dont really get why I should be lvling up the Doffs .. Appart from Getting Crew and the transwarp for Diplomacy I dont see any real advantage for lvling them up .. also I feel Doffs could be turned into an App game for your smart phone / Tablet, something to do when you have 5 mins spare while on the train and so on .. I dont really get it in game .. if someone could explain why its worth lvling up Doffs I may take more interest in it .. lastly the XP needs to be seriously bumped up .. not really an incentive to Casual players.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    Other - No leave it alone, no more nerfs and monetizing, but I still can't get DOFF missions to show up in sector space, and this aspect needs to be fixed. I fly across sector borders leaving the DOFF window open without touching the scroll bar or anything, sometimes they refresh, other times it's the same default ones.

I've asked countless times and no one seems to know or want to answer: is there a workaround for this bug since the sector space revamp? If not, are there any plans to acknowledge and eventually attempt a fix?
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿