test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time for a duty officer system overhaul?

bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
With the upcoming admiralty system, do you think a new and improved duty officer system is necessary?

Lets face it, right now the Doff system is a mess and it's very counter-intuitive.

Missions change depending on your location and that's not explained to new players, You need to travel all around the galaxy to get the best missions, which doesn't really help new players.

I'm guessing most people don't know you can get doff missions from your ship's crew.

I've been using it for years and I still don't know if changing a department head does something.

Using the replicator closes your department head and cluster colonization tabs, opening either of those tabs stops your ship.

Marauding is way better than diplomacy and diplomacy is ridiculously hard to level up (are there any missions that reward more than 300 diplomacy xp?).

It depends a lot on pure dumb luck, both for completing missions and for getting good missions (didn't get that mission from a mission chain? try your luck again in 4 hours).

Some missions are pure garbage and ask you for a lot of resources, time and personnel for little reward.

I think it's time for a full overhaul, with more standardized missions and less randomness.

Time for a duty officer system overhaul? 98 votes

Yes, it's time for an overhaul.
40%
timv94rahmkota19sixofuspsyman87dracounguishyplarabaturkyrrokdlmc85psych2larliekkosryugasiriusdeaftravis05lillihennysistericalexsanderitathescottybsparhawkeksimberytak 40 votes
No, the Doff System is Ok.
34%
nightkenbernatkberginsmidniteshadow7oldravenman3025svindal777alexraptorrkhamseenairgulberatsignumpaxrepetitiveepickitsunesnouthappyhappyj0yj0ysheldonlcooperbloodyrizwhere2r1warmaker001bgoodscotchdragnridrpeterconnorfirst 34 votes
I don't care.
11%
shpoksguljarolvivenneanthonykodachikunoanonymousplaguescarlinganazondasennahcheribxparr15kavasesecorder 11 votes
Other - Specify.
13%
ikonn#1068dareaur5e4w3q2azurianstarkamiyama317lucho80hatepwecentaurianalphaalcyoneserenewolfmoonstarbreadandcircusesgroomofweirdcassiusdio 13 votes

Comments

• hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    I don't think it needs an overhaul.

QoA stuff definitely (feelin ya on that replicator/Dept Head thing)

I also feel there need to be additions.

Dept Heads should have access to certain things. For instance if you have a Caitian 1st Officer they should always have access to Caitian chain. Jem'Hadar should always have access to the Dominion chains, etc etc.

Also having special stuff thats maybe weekly and provides a nice buff and is dependent on the Dept Head species trait or species in general would be great.

A repeatable daily mission at each of the big social areas that offers you access to maybe a random Very Rare assignment based on the area would be great.

Do a non-combat mission setting traps for Voles in that Ferengi trader's storage area on DS9 and he gives you access to the Purple Entertainer assignment or something. Task Force Omega deliver supplies and get access to Reclaim Borg Drone. Fix something for the barkeep on Drozana and get instigate Defection, etc

Perhaps have each contact with a few other themed assignments that they give randomly with each on a cooldown so that not everyone is grinding out Instigate Defections on all their characters all the time.

Fleet holding specific assignments that stock the stores or provide project XP or something.

But the bones and presentation are fine though I think more integration could be fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Vote yes if you want another 50% doff exp nerf.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Fed side doffing is underwhelming compared to KDF. But it does provide incentive to make a KDF character. Fed side definitely needs a bit of a reward boost.

And yes, it's so annoying for the department head to close because you open your replicator or other similar interacts. Really needs to be fixed. :/
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    I just want every sector on the galaxy map to have their own separate missions. Right now they don't. It's a crapshoot. Some sectors have missions, some don't. Let's say you're doing science missions. You have to go all over the place to find them, and it's aggravating to go into a sector that has nothing but the default universal missions you see in every sector - and those never have science.

Get rid of the universal missions. Give each sector it's own separate list of missions and I would be happy. This way when I'm out mission hunting at least I see something different when I change sectors. Doing it this way also makes so much more sense. For instance when you go into the Iconian sector, why is there never a science or exploration mission to be had? Seriously? There's nothing left on Iconia to do? Not a single archaeological site to be found?

I think when they changed the galaxy map, it seriously borked the distribution of DOff missions. They need to go back and rework where all the missions are found. I think they used to be by sector block - but we don't have sector blocks anymore. We have quadrants now. And DOff missions need to be done on a sector by sector basis.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    Some issues could be cleaned up, for sure, but I'm not looking forward to an overhaul in light of the bugfest already on its way to us. Keep the DOff UI from impeding flight, re-balance some of the "construction" projects to give a better risk/reward ratio, and a few other tweaks, but otherwise leave well enough alone!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • wolfmoonstarwolfmoonstar Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Other - Specify.
    I can say a some issues could be addressed...for instance, having a 0% disaster, 0% fail, 75% success, 25% critical chance and getting a disaster that puts your doffs in sickbay.

A cleaner UI with a few modifications to how the new quadrant system works out vs the old sector space did. IE: Missions that appear once you enter the Deferra or Cardassia sectors should be visible the entire time you are in said sector instead of disappearing after you get into the sector a little ways or zone into the sector.

Other than that I would like to see new chain assignments with nice rewards, and a decrease in cost to additional Doff slots. Overall, these mods could bring the system to a more current standing.
    Finally, I can relax and enjoy the vast beauty of the Galaxy.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    all it needs is to have 1 grand master list for each quad... (exludes missions found in planetary orbit - when you enter a system). No need to travel and look for missions. This will also take out the random luck of finding a mission... if it is Off cool down then it will be up. If not then wait another X hours. Rarity just now means how long a cool down. Common = zero cool down, once over you can do again right away. Green = 1 to 6 hours. Blue = 6 to 24 hours. Purple = 1 to 2 days.

Sure it will mean you can see every romulan boff recruit and remans as well... may help drive down cost of SRO BOs.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Other - Specify.
    No is my vote, primarily because we not long ago had one of sorts. Time could be better allocated alsewhere at this point i feel.
    A little more instruction on the inner workings of the DOFF system would be more than welcome for new players and old in some cases though.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    Dear God NO.

While a few bug fixes would be nice (mostly related to issues that popped up with the sector space revamp), generally when Cryptic "revamps" a system they make it worse and/or more heavily monetized (usually and as opposed to or). Alternately they break a bunch of stuff, as seen with, as mentioned, the sector space revamp and it's effect on DOffing. They don't need to break it more, nerf it more, or monetize it more. So no thanks. Bug fixes and we're good.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    No, leave it. If it's touched, it will be nerfed again, as was done multiple times to hammer home the pain of Delta Rising. Better to leave it alone so that we can at least be relatively sure of keeping what we have.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    The less they touch it the better. Bad enough the interface changes that happened last time that made it less intuitive. And we don't need nerfs either that would be snuck in.
    Some issues could be cleaned up, for sure, but I'm not looking forward to an overhaul in light of the bugfest already on its way to us. Keep the DOff UI from impeding flight, re-balance some of the "construction" projects to give a better risk/reward ratio, and a few other tweaks, but otherwise leave well enough alone!

About the DOFF window impeding flight, I'd have to look but there is a global setting that prevents ANY dialogue box from impeding flight that once appropriately checked (or unchecked, can't remember which), it solves that problem.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    "No, because cryptic only makes things worse" is not a real argument, people.
    edited October 2015
    bioixi wrote: »

Unfortunately DOFFing in particular is one where we have a significant track record of XP removal after XP removal, so yes, it is a valid argument. :( I'd rather see Admiralty *added* than DOFFing tinkered with. Unless (as with the STFs, which were delivered the opposite of advertised with DR) the two systems have some sort of catastrophic interaction with each other, we can at least be fairly sure that reward potential is being added instead of taken away.

I woukd like to be proven wrong, but Cryptic will have to prove it through solid action (not words) since their past record is not favorable. If they can actually make the changes in a way that leaves the rewards at least as useful and plentiful as they currently are, then I will cease using that as an argument.

gulberat wrote: »

Unfortunately DOFFing in particular is one where we have a significant track record of XP removal after XP removal, so yes, it is a valid argument. :(

So "it is better the devil you know..."?

Just because they screwed over in the past doesn't mean they should stop trying, if we follow that rule of thumb they should stop revamping content entirely.

So... what you're saying is that you don't allow one of the following to influence decisions: History, or Reality.

Or is it both?
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    They can start by removing the "Sell prisoners to the Orions" and all other doff missions equally objectionable.

So... what you're saying is that you don't allow one of the following to influence decisions: History, or Reality.

Or is it both?

For me, it's the old axiom from the HR world that the best predictor of future performance is past performance.

It is possible to break that pattern but it will have to be shown through sustained and consistent change, to establish a new track record.

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Ok. The stated reason for the biggest nerf in the last go round was to prepare the 12 hour missions to be inline for the upcoming "doffing normalization." I believe the real reason was spite. These were missions that awarded like 1200 xp for non-crit that now award 120 for a 10x nerf. If the 45 minute missions are put in line with that they will award like 1 experience point.

I don't believe they would do a 10x nerf. They seem to have changed their philosophy on xp to eh who cares let's let them fill up their specs. But I would expect at least a 2x nerf on top of the already 4x nerf we have seen on most missions and the 10x nerf on the 12 hour missions.

btw I have all my points I want so this is just public service.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited October 2015
    So "it is better the devil you know..."?

Just because they screwed over in the past doesn't mean they should stop trying, if we follow that rule of thumb they should stop revamping content entirely.

Okay, so that sounds awesome. Imagine... instead of spending, like, half their available resources revamping content and systems again and again (and generally making things worse) they could, you know, make new stuff. I'm good with this.

But hey, maybe we need a fourth ESD and, what is it now, a seventh tutorial?

Or is it both?

History, you can't judge/predict someone's future actions by his past action, it's bad, it's ridiculous, it's like saying Germany/France/Spain will try to invade Europe again just because it did so several times in the past.

Just because cryptic screwed over with the doff system it doesn't mean it will do it again.
    edited October 2015
    History, you can't judge/predict someone's future actions by his past action, it's bad, it's ridiculous, it's like saying Germany/France/Spain will try to invade Europe again just because it did so several times in the past.

Just because cryptic screwed over with the doff system it doesn't mean it will do it again.

You know, the guy who has nerfed the DOffing system over and over is Geko, and he's still basically pulling the stings at Cryptic. Remind me, is that guy with the Charlie Chaplin mustache still running Germany?

But hey, you're right... we shouldn't let past incompetence, negligence, malice, stupidity or the like decide what we should expect from future behavior. Leopards always change their spots and I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy hiring convicted pedophiles to baby sit your children.

From now on let's not let the past decide how the future will be. Let's all eat at that one star restaurant that's been repeatedly closed down by the health inspector. Let's get rid of malpractice lawsuits because I'm sure that doctors who botch surgeries will try better next time. Start using those Chernobyl plant designs again? Sure why not, maybe graphite in a reactor isn't as bad an idea as people think now, and maybe it was just bad luck. Now lets all drink Drano because, hey, all those people who've died from it shouldn't convince us to do otherwise and maybe it's yummy! Never know 'til you try!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Or is it both?

I beg to differ past actions are the only thing you can predict future action. and chances are they will at some point from reasons that seem important at the time. hope is all nice and all but there is an old saying about not learning from history. to ignore this is at best a little naive.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Other - Specify.
    All the y need to do is fix the while crit/success problem. The rewards, specially of assignments with long cooldowns need a bump up, and maybe lower the cooldown on some of the common missions like Asylum on [...] . Otherwise, I'd leave it alone.
    edited October 2015

You know, the guy who has nerfed the DOffing system over and over is Geko, and he's still basically pulling the stings at Cryptic. Remind me, is that guy with the Charlie Chaplin mustache still running Germany?

But hey, you're right... we shouldn't let past incompetence, negligence, malice, stupidity or the like decide what we should expect from future behavior. Leopards always change their spots and I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy hiring convicted pedophiles to baby sit your children.

From now on let's not let the past decide how the future will be. Let's all eat at that one star restaurant that's been repeatedly closed down by the health inspector. Let's get rid of malpractice lawsuits because I'm sure that doctors who botch surgeries will try better next time. Start using those Chernobyl plant designs again? Sure why not, maybe graphite in a reactor isn't as bad an idea as people think now, and maybe it was just bad luck. Now lets all drink Drano because, hey, all those people who've died from it shouldn't convince us to do otherwise and maybe it's yummy! Never know 'til you try!

Oh well, lets never forget, lets never forgive, if someone does something wrong lets punish him for the rest of his life, no matter what, no second chances, no redemption.

We should get rid of parole, all sentences, liftime with no parole, after all, if someone stoles something he'll do it again later.
    Oh well, lets never forget, lets never forgive, if someone does something wrong lets punish him for the rest of his life, no matter what.

When you're looking at repeated behavior? Yeah.

If a friend comes to you and tells you that an ex-boyfriend is in town and wants to get back together but she's not sure it's a good idea because they've gone out a few times before and every time he ends up beating her is your response really going to be, "Hey, you're being ridiculous! You can't judge someone's future actions by his past actions. I'm sure he loves you and it will super awesome this time! You really owe it to both him and yourself to give that relationship one more try!"
    edited October 2015
    OK, we really didn't need to go the Godwin etc. route to prove the point, and I say that as the person who felt that the prior track record towards the DOFFing system is a problem. :(

At least in an F2P game, if I don't spend, should I end up being proven wrong and a new track record be established, I CAN change my mind on the "not spending" thing.

• r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Other - Specify.
    Did they not just do an overhaul, made a mess of it, then abandon it?

(Map, UI)​​
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Other - Specify.
    I voted "Other" because while my answer is "No" I refuse to say that I'm okay with what it is these days... the "No" is instead based in a lack of confidence that any doffing revamp would be an improvement. Recent work on doffing has included:
    • rant.gifA UI revamp tacked onto the Crafting Revamp, which made the entire system worse until a series of further improvements restored most of the lost functionality.
    • rant.gifThe removal of Exploration Cluster Maps, which incidentally cut your opportunities of finding a Colonization Chain assignment in half. It also removed the ability of use Bridge Invites from other players ( most notably Tuffli/Cell Ship owners) to check on those Colonization Chain assigments, reducing community involvement.
    • rant.gifThe re-balancing of the way XP is gained and displayed, theoretically having no effect overall. In practice, this cut the actual amount of progress gained by the doffing system.
    • rant.gifThe reduction of the 12 hr assignment rewards, in order to make them more appropriately balance with other doffing assignments. In practice, this amounted to a massive doffing nerf; most (if not all) 12 hr assignments are a waste of an assignment, rewarding less than most (if not all) of the 4-6 hr assignments. No other assignments received any kind of reward increase to make up for the change; it was, in fact, a direct nerf rather a "re-balance".
    • rant.gifThe Sector Space Revamp (which does look nice, by the way), which lost some assignments and completely threw off the borders for where specific doffing assignments appear and update. In many cases, you will have to land in a narrow little spot that somehow holds a reasonable number of assignments, with the vast majority of Sector Space failing to update its list by Sector Block and missing most (if not all) of the assignments you actually bothered to fly around and look for (because the revamp also happened to remove the 0 EC Transwarp from all Episodes that had formerly served as convenient stopping points for doffing). On the plus side, they did eventually find most of the lost assignments...

I'd be all for improvements in doffing, but that isn't necessarily implied when this particular system gets revamped... or when this particular system is the collateral damage of something else getting revamped or flat-out removed.

As an aside, we're already getting a "sorta" doffing revamp, just not with doffs: the Admiralty System. By all appearances it looks to have solid rewards, and while it is heavily weighted by Tier and the depth of your available ship lineup (both what you have the option of buying and more importantly what you've actually acquired) it is not restricted by location and does not have a practical cap on the number of Admiralty Ships you can obtain. It's available on Tribble now, if you want to check for potential bugs or general gameplay.
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • lenordhmccoylenordhmccoy Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I can say a some issues could be addressed...for instance, having a 0% disaster, 0% fail, 75% success, 25% critical chance and getting a disaster that puts your doffs in sickbay.

A cleaner UI with a few modifications to how the new quadrant system works out vs the old sector space did. IE: Missions that appear once you enter the Deferra or Cardassia sectors should be visible the entire time you are in said sector instead of disappearing after you get into the sector a little ways or zone into the sector.

Other than that I would like to see new chain assignments with nice rewards, and a decrease in cost to additional Doff slots. Overall, these mods could bring the system to a more current standing.

The ones with 0% disaster and fail and they fail are so mind numbing...how is that problem not fixed by now?

But as for a total revamp? No but it needs cleaned up the glitches need fixed and I agree it needs changed since sector space changed...you literally have to fly with the screen open to see missions change because I've seen some cases were a millimeter of movement in space makes a mission appear and then disappear again....and none of that is explained well to new players at all........I still enjoy doffing all these years later but it just needs fixed and we need new missions and I was also hoping for more epic doffs, we got the one Dr. and then nothing was ever mentioned again...more mission chains would be nice as well....but I'd be happy with fixing the glitches and stop nerfing the system for a start