Options

Who is the best of the bad guy fleets?

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Ten Forward
The best of the bad.

Who is the best of the bad guy fleets? 26 votes

The Borg
26%
mercury80deaftravis05gradiicmdrscarlethawkwing43efh#9415android24601#2804 7 votes
The Dominion
57%
rahmkota19captainoblivousgulberathawku001xmhall85warmaker001brattler2sovereign47drdurandalraiggestarswordcjorantomalakgrandnaguszek1highlord83trendysadamsaple#3742 15 votes
The Peace Keepers
15%
forthegameranjc#8825signumpaximperialists 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    The Borg
    Oops I hit the wrong key. lol

I wanted to add the Galactic Empire, The Daleks, and Cyclones too. Of course others. lol
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    The Dominion
    Borg are overrated. They're always presented as an insurmountable threat that is then easily surmounted when Starfleet fights properly because they're idiots.

The Dominion weren't nearly as continually overhyped: they were always a severe but beatable threat.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    The Dominion
    starswordc wrote: »
    Borg are overrated. They're always presented as an insurmountable threat that is then easily surmounted when Starfleet fights properly because they're idiots.

The Dominion weren't nearly as continually overhyped: they were always a severe but beatable threat.

Maybe it would have been better to put it as "pre voyager borg" or something? Those were the really nasty ones. Voyager just nerfed them into oblivion.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    I wanted to add the Galactic Empire, The Daleks, and Cyclones too. Of course others. lol
    I vote for the Cyclones! They blow their enemy away! :p

screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    The Dominion
    starswordc wrote: »

Maybe it would have been better to put it as "pre voyager borg" or something? Those were the really nasty ones. Voyager just nerfed them into oblivion.

Nah, they were always overrated. Seriously, did you see the beginning of "Emissary", with Starfleet running at it in ones and twos and getting torn apart ship by ship? Contrast the battle in First Contact where Starfleet swarmed it all at once and did much better: they had the cube at the point of shield failure by the time they reached Earth, and I'd wager they would have won even without the Enterprise if they'd had more time.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    borg ships don't have shields; you can't fail something that doesn't exist​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    The Borg
    borg ships don't have shields; you can't fail something that doesn't exist​​

proof they dont have shields?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Debatable... even in the first appearance there was a mention of some sort of special subspace field around the ship.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    The Dominion
    I'm not sure, but I think shadowfang was trying to make a snarky comment about how weak they are in-game.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    no, i mean they literally don't have shields; or at the very least, i've never seen a shield flare on a borg vessel when one was fired on

and thanks to voyager, there were plenty being fired on​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    The Borg
    no, i mean they literally don't have shields; or at the very least, i've never seen a shield flare on a borg vessel when one was fired on

they do, but remember, the borg ships are massive. The Spheres alone are over 600 metres
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    The Dominion

they do, but remember, the borg ships are massive. The Spheres alone are over 600 metres

What does their size have to do with if they have shields? Another bit of evidence I found that may indicate they have no shields (but very debatable) was when the Enterprise fired at the cube in Q-Who. They blasted three sizable chunks in it with no shield impact, although they may not have had them up.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I seem to remember a later scene where they fired on the Cube and it had no effect at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    The Borg seem to prefer using a type of shield that has all-or-nothing protection. Either the Borg know the frequency of the incoming energy weapon and can block it, or else it simply penetrates for the first shot (or few shots) until it is tuned to block that frequency as well. This seems to imply that Borg shields can block only a finite number of frequencies--enough to adapt to whatever is being thrown at them, but not enough to pre-emptively block off much of the possible spectrum.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Daleks obviously. Unless any of the other fleets have a ship capable of destroying reality itself!​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    No Shadows from B5, they had a killer fleet
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      The Borg
      I did say other hehe. My fail safe for fleets I missed.
    • Options
      cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      The Borg
      Goon Swarm, of course ... oh, wrong poll, my bad.

Borg, yo.
    • Options
      anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
      The Peace Keepers
      TRIBBLE, ment to hit dominion, is there any way to change it?
    • Options
      centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
      I vote for the shadows as well.
      Goon Swarm, of course ... oh, wrong poll, my bad.

Borg, yo.

That reference, I get it.
    • Options
      rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
      The Dominion
      Dominion all the way.

They succeeded because they were the Federation, and they were not. They were the Anti-Federation, more so than the Terran Empire ever was.

To this date, we still don't know most about the Dominion. We know they exist, we know that with limited ships and shipyards they managed to fight a 2 year war against half of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, and we know they are a collection of species who all serve the Founders in one way or another.

And like said by StarStorm, these guys were always a very real threat, but beatable. The problem with the Borg is that they were created unbeatable, so the BoBW way worked. And then TNG never beat them again until First Contact. When you create something unbeatable and keep beating it, you create, as teh Doctor said it, "the party-poopers of the galaxy". A species nobody takes serious at all.​​
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
      The Dominion
      I have to agree with calling the Dominion the best of the hostile factions.
      For all intents and purposes, the Dominion is like the perfect storm. Ship making capability was described by the Klingons as "impressive", and they don't impress easily. The Jem'Hadar are almost perfect soldiers with no family ties (As they have no families), natural ability to camoflage themselves, and pretty much unquestioned loyalty so there is no chance of defection. Also... they're pretty much a clone army so no lack of soldiers.

The Federation hadn't seen a full on war since maybe the Cardassian wars (Unless that only counts as border skirmishes), and before that, probably the Earth-Romulan War in the 22nd Century. The undeclared war with the Borg doesn't really count because it is pretty much pure defensive. React to incursions, never going on the offensive since the Borg are from the Delta Quadrant.

Hell... The Defiant was the first pure combat ship designed by Starfleet, and she was meant to fight the Borg!
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      no canon wars since the earth-romulan war, but they fought a fair few throughout the latter half of the 23rd century through soft canon works​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
      The Dominion
      I consider the tensions between the Klingons and Federation starting with the Organian Treaty as basically a Cold War, which truely ended in ST6.

And the Fed-Cardassian Wars are apparently considered canon.
      http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation-Cardassian_War
      When Janeway was a lieutenant, she took part in the defense of an outpost as apparently mentioned in the Voyager episode Prey. The time places her as being aboard the Al-Batani.

Captain Maxwell lost his whole family to the Cardassians, hence his revenge mission with the Phoenix that was stopped by the Enterprise-D.

Miles O'Brien was aboard the Rutledge during the Cardassian Wars.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      i'm talking about the galaxy-spanning war from SFC1 and the ISC war of pacification from SFC2​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
      Oh please, do any other fleets have a weapon that can match this?

latest?cb=20080717201139​​
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
      yes, actually; the dominion has bioengineered plagues - accomplishes the same thing and leaves the planet intact as a bonus​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
      The Dominion
      i'm talking about the galaxy-spanning war from SFC1 and the ISC war of pacification from SFC2​​

That really doesn't count. I am familiar with them, but the problem is they aren't really canon as they are from computer games, which in turn were adapted from older tabletop games. In Canon, Starfleet really hasn't used missiles since the 22nd Century with the Spatial Torpedoes that were deployed on Enterprise. The Lyrans, Hydrans, and Mirak aren't canon (and the Mirak were a workaround for the copyright to the Kzinti), and fighters and Carriers were virturally unheard of. While they are fun games, they aren't really a basis to compare to canon events. They're kinda on the border of soft and non canon IMO. Otherwise the events of both Armada games, the events of both Elite Force games, and the events of SFC3 and Away Team should be considered as well. Although EF1 could be considered canon since it got Voyager closer to home and theres all kinds of crazy in the Delta Quadrant.
    • Options
      yes, actually; the dominion has bioengineered plagues - accomplishes the same thing and leaves the planet intact as a bonus

this is the goal of the Crucible, nothing as small minded and petty as destroying planets.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
      edited September 2015
      artan42 wrote: »
      yes, actually; the dominion has bioengineered plagues - accomplishes the same thing and leaves the planet intact as a bonus

this is the goal of the Crucible, nothing as small minded and petty as destroying planets.
      that wasn't the xindi superweapon? never mind then; not like i could tell what it was, though, with the picture being so goddamn small you'd need a widescreen monitor to be able to see it clearly, and no way to enlarge it​​

#LegalizeAwoo