Options

Design Your Ship Round 1 [Alpha VS Beta]

Comments

• Options
    jkerryjkerry Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    #TeamAlpha
    66s4zz3r5m2mhqs6g.jpg
    VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, Chief of Communications, the "Lucky" 7th Fleet, SFC, UFP
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    fewzz wrote: »
    we have Beta ingame already whats the point.

What? Beta has some command components, sure. But Alpha looks pretty much exactly like the Prometheus. If anything is already in the game and has been in the game for a very long time, its Alpha.
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    #TeamAlpha

However, for the long run, I'm still going with Omega. Updated Jupiter class ftw!
  • Options
    shonagoncaptainshonagoncaptain Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    This is why I am on Team Beta; Design Alpha doesn't look like anything too unique. The Beta, from design standpoint looks like a different ship that could be a decent science/cruiser hybrid, and could have potential to be a smaller ship and still be able to have a saucer separation feature. The way I see it, Beta has much more potential.
  • Options
    vyconis81vyconis81 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    I like the nacelle of Beta more than Alpha. But I like the saucer of Alpha more than Beta.
  • Options
    rondelicarondelica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    i like the alpha :smiley:
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    I like the Alpha better but I voted Beta because we already have something very similar to Alpha and we need something different.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    #TeamAlpha
    Besides Omega, Alpha is the second best design for me, so I'm voting for alpha team of course B) I do hope that Omega will prevail in the end.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    #TeamBeta
    My choice would be also Omega. Let see what happens at the end.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Still think Beta looks like a rubber duck with nacelles. #TeamAlpha for now...
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    It's a sad, sad, sad day when there's an Alphabet war!
    Mayhap, one day, when they are ready, they will get together at a bar!
    Not for a brawl,
    but a bar crawl. :wink:
  • Options
    grimjax69grimjax69 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I have an idea that would make most people happy, why not give us multiple designs like your doing, but let us customize the carrier in-game. I've read the posts and realized we all have different taste and what we think should be a Star Trek design. I really believe that the best looking ships in-game are the ones that I can customize the look of, with multiple options.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    Why is there not a third choice for "It's for Feds, I could care less?"
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    akathoshunakathoshun Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Be honest... both of them r ugly. I would be happy with a reworked ody, with hangars (she is large enough)
  • Options
    #TeamBeta
    grimjax69 wrote: »
    I have an idea that would make most people happy, why not give us multiple designs like your doing, but let us customize the carrier in-game. I've read the posts and realized we all have different taste and what we think should be a Star Trek design. I really believe that the best looking ships in-game are the ones that I can customize the look of, with multiple options.

I'm thinking this is for the base design of the ship (the main class of the Federation Carrier). A lot of the ships look like variations of the same ship, so some of their 'bits and pieces' might be offered as customiztions of the ships nacelles, saucer section, stardrive/hull, etc.

I could see us being able to decide on which parts of other ships we'd like to see as customization alternatives.

There isn't one of these designs that scream out at me as a 'Pick me, pick me!' ship. But there are aspects of each of them that I really like that I would like to be used, even if at a later date/update. I'd hate to see good designs go to waste.
  • Options
    #TeamBeta

Aye, there's plenty of ships that have a variety of shuttlebay arrangements for different ship models, so I can't see this being a problem with similar customization with the carrier.

Mind you, it's all really aesthetics. With the number of ships that have carrier 'abilities' I've used in the past, it seems like all the carrier pets launch out the rear, even when they had multiple launch points/shuttle doors in different areas of the ship's exterior. I'd love to see an update to ship models to allow shuttle/fighter launches to happen where they should be based on the ship's skin.

Especially with seeing the shuttlebay doors opening and closing when the shuttle/fighters launch and return to the 'mothership'.
  • Options
    #TeamBeta

Now, this is a person thinking outside the box, why not to have a shipyard where you could use a particular build and tweak it. Add extra nacelles or other parts of the ship.

• Options
    kazumigatakazumigata Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I like the look of Alpha more than beta, usually with a broader saucer sections the turn rate is increased as well hull hit points, but the look of Alpha suggests that the ship can become 2 separate ships, the upper would equal to the Centaur class while the lower would be a warp capable flight deck like was tried in a console Star Trek Game where Commander Worf was the CO and the player was a fighter pilot for Star Fleet
  • Options
    jamesrmartinjamesrmartin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Hi there, I'm a Roleplayer and I don't normally weigh in on Ship Designs on the Forums I normally just complain about them to my fleetmates. That being said however I feel I should weigh in here so here goes, I Vote for the Omega Design, Below are my reasons;
    1. First, from the picture posted by Cryptic it's the only one that has a Visible flight deck. (The long white looking Bar just forward of the Lower pair of engine Nacelles.) From the Top view it looks like that Large bay is a type of lateral Thru-Deck Bay. Which would make Logical sense for Rapid deployment and recovery of small craft.
    2. The Omega Design also has the Primary "Bulk" of the vessel in the the most logical area around that long open bay area. If You look at Real world Aircraft Carrier Designs (Modern Super Carriers and large fleet Carrier Designs from WWII onward) You will notice that the bulk of the ship is for aircraft storage and maintenance. It would stand to reason that a Starfleet Carrier would have to follow very roughly the same Idea. Propulsion and Weapons would be secondary considerations, because as a Carrier it's first line of Defense and Offense are the Fighters it carries.
    3. It's one of only two designs that look as if it's a purpose built vessel for being a Carrier ship the other being the Delta Design. The others seem to be Large cruisers that were modified to be carrier ships. When you attempt to make a large Capital ship (Battleships, Heavy Cruisers, Carriers, etc.) perform two different roles at the same time what You wind up with is a ship that's inefficient in performing either role. Case in point the Carrier/Cruiser Designs the Japanese tried to produce in the later part of the second world war.

Hopefully the Developers will also take into consideration that a true carrier vessel needs to have more Fighters and less of it's own heavy weapons, That will require more team work in STFs and other Multiplayer missions Big carriers can hit hard but in reality they all have glass jaws (Meaning for the offense potential they have they are weak on Defense when it comes to it's self) So If a new carrier is designed no matter what the Devs need to take that into consideration. In closing I think the Omega design is.. if I may borrow a a bit of phrasing from the Vulcans, the Logical choice.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Alpha, the saucer looks better and the nacelles are quite nice.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    cowdoc0077cowdoc0077 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Alpha
  • Options
    klingonwerewolfklingonwerewolf Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    Sweeping generalisation much?

The fact that anyone would come to that conclusion proves my assessment correct to begin with so nope just a hard core fact.
    For me It depends entirely on the ship. I'm not that big a fan of the TOS Connie because I really don't like the pylons being at right angles. I love the movie Connie though. Love Excelsior. Don't really like Oberth or Miranda.

I'm in two minds about the Galaxy class, it depends at what angle you look at it from... bit sometimes the neck and pylons look a little ugly.

Again my point is proven. Those of us who first saw Star Trek the way it originally began have a real and personal attachment to the original crew and ship that can't be explained but also should be better appreciated than it honestly is. I also never said I wanted the ship's pylons to be at right angles. I simply stated that I prefer a more classic (at least an actual Federation looking) ship as opposed to the lawn darts that keep making an appearance. If the saucers get any more pointed than they already have someone is going to have their eye poked out just doing a fly by in a shuttlecraft.
    But I've been watching Trek since I've been in shorts... and while it's true I'm more a jack of all trades when it comes to sci fi.... I still don't think you get any remit to question *anybody*'s commitment as a "true fan".

I remember in the Enterprise D tech manual they had an early concept design for the Nova class which had a really wide elliptical saucer... a different take on the oval over the circle... that looked quite interesting.

I have every right to question anyone's devotion as a fan when they don't even know what a Federation ship is supposed to look like. Klingon ships all have the elongated neck with wings/pylons at the rear. Romulan ships all have shapes that make them look like birds. Federation ships were defined from the very beginning as having twin nacels and pylons with a central body and a nice round saucer at the front of the vessel. That is how Gene Roddenberry envisioned it and that is how it should be. Anyone who deviates from that which he outlined as "the way" of the Star Trek universe is certainly NOT a devoted fan. At least not in the way that us original Trekies are. I bet you didn't start watching Star Trek until DS9 was in full swing. I was a life long Trek fan when TWOK wasn't even filmed yet and William Shatner still had a 32 inch waist so don't try to tell me I don't have the right to question someone's devotion, especially when I keep seeing people deviate so far away from Gene Roddenberry's vision that it looks nothing like any design that could be considered Star Trek.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Hmm, 2 days per vote, 7 different votes, that's 14 days just to decide on the design. We don't know how many options there will be to vote on for 'build' and 'model'. Let's say 3 votes (4 options each). Then the ship artists will probably need a few weeks to implement the final design and features so I don't see this ship making it into the game anytime before the end of November.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    #TeamBeta
    Beta, I like my ships traditional Starfleet design with 2 nacelles not 4
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
      #TeamBeta
      I went with Beta simply because, in my opinion, there have been far too many four nacelle ships with long pointy saucer sections of late. I'd like to see a more "traditional" looking ship again. :)​​
      Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
      True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    • Options
      #TeamBeta
      Team Beta rocks........ down the hill we go.... Why so many 4 nacelles ships, we need more 2 nacelles ships.

• Options
      papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
      #TeamBeta
      Had to go with Beta. I like what's going on with the nacelles being attached to the saucer/hull and the funky saucer with the wide set impulse engines. Plus, there's already more than enough ships that look like the Alpha currently in game so I appreciate the variety Beta adds.
    • Options
      lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
      #TeamAlpha
      Here here for Alpha!
    • Options
      isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
      #TeamPricefield! What do you mean, wrong forum? TRIBBLE.
    • Options
      isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
      #TeamPricefield! What do you mean, wrong forum? TRIBBLE.
    This discussion has been closed.