test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

another giveaway?

whatthephloxwhatthephlox Member Posts: 35 Arc User
"Thank you for redeeming your free T6 Andromeda-Class Cruiser. The specials aren't over, though. We have another offer to thank you for playing Star Trek Online. Until September 30, 2015 only, buy 1000 zen and you will receive 10,000 zen extra. This is a targeted offer which is linked to your Perfect World account."

a fleet mate copied an email he received and pasted it into chat. he indeed purchased 1k zen and got a 10k bonus uhhhh...?

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Screenshot (from him) or it didn happen.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    anazonda wrote: »

haha okay ill see what i can do

• Options
    id0liciousid0licious Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Umm are you kidding me Cryptic?

Where's my free $100 in Zen?

Where's my free T6 ship?

Where's my free level 60?

Apparently I should just stop playing the game if I want to advance easily and without spending money!

BRB while I go kick someone's cat~
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    You can't see it. But I'm giving PWE "the look".
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User

It's not to be disrespectful or anything, but people on the internet have a tendency to believe anything that gives them something to bicker about, without background checking the info.

And since even Reddit, Troll-heaven, dosen't have this info, I would prefer to see a screenshot of the mail in question.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options

It's not to be disrespectful or anything, but people on the internet have a tendency to believe anything that gives them something to bicker about, without background checking the info.

And since even Reddit, Troll-heaven, dosen't have this info, I would prefer to see a screenshot of the mail in question.

agreed. attempting to verify
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    "Thank you for redeeming your free T6 Andromeda-Class Cruiser. The specials aren't over, though. We have another offer to thank you for playing Star Trek Online. Until September 30, 2015 only, buy 1000 zen and you will receive 10,000 zen extra. This is a targeted offer which is linked to your Perfect World account."

a fleet mate copied an email he received and pasted it into chat. he indeed purchased 1k zen and got a 10k bonus uhhhh...?

^I really hate PWE/Cryptic. All these giveaways are targeted toward people who aren't even playing that much anymore. While this game would have died without more consistent players that are rewarded with TRIBBLE.

wait tell it is comfirmation before hating please. if it is true by all means continue.

oh and whatthephlox is that a togekiss or am I seeing things.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    dark4blood wrote: »

^I really hate PWE/Cryptic. All these giveaways are targeted toward people who aren't even playing that much anymore. While this game would have died without more consistent players that are rewarded with TRIBBLE.

I posted this as a heads up to other players! Lets not bash Cryptic yet.. Anyone else seen this?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Well, since it doesn't make any sense - I call fake. "Buy a set of tires and get a car for free!"​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Well, since it doesn't make any sense - I call fake. "Buy a set of tires and get a car for free!"​​

i hope so.. seems way too good to be true.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    A free T6 ship (worth 3000zen) I can see, hell, I even got the offer so I know it's true - many people did. That purchase best suits those who [would] use it on multiple factions too. However, a free 10,000zen for the price of 100zen? I'm finding that difficult to believe.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    A free T6 ship (worth 3000zen) I can see, hell, I even got the offer so I know it's true - many people did. That purchase best suits those who [would] use it on multiple factions too. However, a free 10,000zen for the price of 100zen? I'm finding that difficult to believe.

The thing is, zen has no real world worth; thus is basically a creation that is only given value by what cost is set by pwe/cryptic that we trust they will abide to - thus if they wanted to, they could hypothetically offer a million zen for a 1000 zen and incur no penalty as that 999,000 other zen has no real value - for pwe/cryptic only the money used to buy the 1000 zen counts as all the items on sto are infinite in nature due to the fact they are easily replicatable code - so if that million z player buys everything out the c-store, pwe/cryptic are still up by the realworld price of that 1k zen (ignoring the massive backlash caused by constant players/massive whales, of course)​​
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    The thing is, zen has no real world worth; thus is basically a creation that is only given value by what cost is set by pwe/cryptic that we trust they will abide to - thus if they wanted to, they could hypothetically offer a million zen for a 1000 zen and incur no penalty as that 999,000 other zen has no real value - for pwe/cryptic only the money used to buy the 1000 zen counts as all the items on sto are infinite in nature due to the fact they are easily replicatable code - so if that million z player buys everything out the c-store, pwe/cryptic are still up by the realworld price of that 1k zen (ignoring the massive backlash caused by constant players/massive whales, of course)

This is true, however I think the store items have a calculated value. I mean it is true that getting 100 bucks worth of zen for free will definitely cause a lot of people to spend 10 bucks that would usually not, but those people would also take maybe three ships that would be worth 90 bucks of calculated value because those sales would be gone for that particular account. Does this make sense?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    burstorion wrote: »
    The thing is, zen has no real world worth; thus is basically a creation that is only given value by what cost is set by pwe/cryptic that we trust they will abide to - thus if they wanted to, they could hypothetically offer a million zen for a 1000 zen and incur no penalty as that 999,000 other zen has no real value - for pwe/cryptic only the money used to buy the 1000 zen counts as all the items on sto are infinite in nature due to the fact they are easily replicatable code - so if that million z player buys everything out the c-store, pwe/cryptic are still up by the realworld price of that 1k zen (ignoring the massive backlash caused by constant players/massive whales, of course)

This is true, however I think the store items have a calculated value. I mean it is true that getting 100 bucks worth of zen for free will definitely cause a lot of people to spend 10 bucks that would usually not, but those people would also take maybe three ships that would be worth 90 bucks of calculated value because those sales would be gone for that particular account. Does this make sense?

Sort of, but put another way, once those ships are paid for (ie the cost of coding, skinning, ect), they essentially become pure profit as they can be replicated millions of times with no extra cost incurred - thus those ten bucks (and the myriad of people paying for the zen to buy the ships fully normally) would cover the cost of even the newest ships bought with this 'out of thin air' zen - while if three ships that are not exactly new are bought; there is no penalty for the free zen given as its essentially giving away air​​
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    id0licious wrote: »
    Umm are you kidding me Cryptic?

Where's my free T6 ship?

Apparently I should just stop playing the game if I want to advance easily and without spending money!

BRB while I go kick someone's cat~

You are not alone, I didn't get any free T6 andromeda + level 60 either.
  • Options
    I'm gonna tag @pwlaughingtrendy just in case, maybe she can confirm if this is legit.
  • Options
    ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Wait, maybe I skipped over something, but how to get that T6 free ship?
  • Options
    ammianus wrote: »
    Wait, maybe I skipped over something, but how to get that T6 free ship?

They've sent an email to people who spent at least a month without login in giving them a free Andromeda and an instant level up to level 60, but if you play the game you are screwed.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    I can confirm it's true.
    Just as a fun fact, two of those I know received the ship. One is LTS and long time player. Still, he left as he couldn't stand this game anymore months and months ago.
    Another one is not even that much expert, has never spent a dime on this game, and he's banned on the forums, permanently since... I don't remember, half an year I suppose.

Totally random draw.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Not going there.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    This part doesn't upset me. If they can get people to come back to the game, I'll be very happy.
    Where's my free T6 ship?
    Presumably you have the Kobali Samsar, the Ferengi Summer Ship, and the Breen Carrier.
    Getting to Level 60 is overblown and not that big a deal.
    Imagine all that you have that you would not have if you hadn't been playing. Personally, I'll keep my free winter, summer, and anniversary ship plus all 7 of my level 60's (as opposed to a free one) my billions worth of EC and gear that I've acquired during the time. Compared to these hopefully returning players, I still have far more than they will ever have.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    laferrari1 wrote: »
    I can confirm it's true.
    Just as a fun fact, two of those I know received the ship. One is LTS and long time player. Still, he left as he couldn't stand this game anymore months and months ago.
    Another one is not even that much expert, has never spent a dime on this game, and he's banned on the forums, permanently since... I don't remember, half an year I suppose.

Totally random draw.
    I don't think that it's random. There must be very specific conditions that you have to meet to have received the email. Since several people have alt accounts, Cryptic wouldn't want people to take advantage of the situation by using low level alt accounts to dump free zen on the market.

When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    Hopefully that happens. I could use some cheap zen on the exchange.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    morbious01morbious01 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Thanks to this thread checked my email
    got a free Andromeda Class Exploration Cruiser and 10 Specialization Points but no zen offer
    need arc to claim i'm waiting for the thread when someone moans bout arc

LTS i burned out during the summer event think its been a month or 2 since i logged in and played

Thanks for the thread and thank you cryptic
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    I am 100% familiar with the Andromeda + Specialization points. That being said, I have some questions. Is the 1,000 ZEN to 10,000 ZEN part of the same email? Is it separate? Also, can you send a screenshot as well? I'm unfamiliar with any email send for that second half, and am going to investigate that.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    laferrari1 wrote: »
    I can confirm it's true.

Totally random draw.
    I don't think that it's random. There must be very specific conditions that you have to meet to have received the email. Since several people have alt accounts, Cryptic wouldn't want people to take advantage of the situation by using low level alt accounts to dump free zen on the market.

You wish there was did you? It's a random draw. Otherwise they'd have never sent one to someone who's been banned more than one time, before turning permanent due to... well it's better if I don't continue on that topic. Enough to say that he did.
    On the other side the LTS friend I mentioned tried to hand me his code as he had the ship already and, one way or another, couldn't care about launching STO ever again. Funny enough it didn't work as the code is bound to account.

The heck it's not random. Picked a large portion of those who have X hours active, didn't double check account's history and sent them out randomly, without even checking if they had the ship or not.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,116 Arc User
    Thanks for getting behind this trendy.

That being said: offers such as this (if it is legit) or the Andromeda offer are normally not sent to active customers. Special offers are often only for potentially new customers, or ones you lost some time ago. Not only in MMOs but almost everywhere. If a friend of yours has a different cell phone provider than you have, try out what offers you get. In most cases the non customer will get better offers than the one who was a loyal customer, maybe for years (YMMV in certain conditions, since it obviously often depends on the individual you're dealing with and your own behavior and/or skills as well as on general policies). The same goes for insurances. The same goes for other providers of basic amenities like electricity, water etc. (in markets where there is competition and not a monopoly).

I do not like this practice at all. It may be a good course of action for a company economically, but it always annoys me no end. But what I wanted to say: if this is legit, it's not the evil scheming of PWE/Cryptic, the worst companies in the whole wide world, but a totally common business practice. Unfortunately.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I can think of only 2 possibilities:

1. Whoever claimed to have received that email was just pulling someone's leg.
    2. The person did receive such an email but it wasn't legitimate. It's possible the email was a phishing attempt, as in, go to this website and input your username and password. Then later you find your account stripped of everything and/or your account banned because it was used to advertise RMT websites.

Giving away 10,000 zen with the purchase of 1,000 doesn't seem like something PWE would do. They aren't that generous.

The free T6 Andromeda ship and instant level 60 has been verified by Trendy as legit though.