Options

Windows 10

I received this this email on the 13th of august Subject
Game Crash at login

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Erelias) 08/13/2015 03:26 PM

Hello,

Thank you for this feedback.

At this time Windows 10 is not a supported Operating System with STO.

This is why you are having difficulties at this time.

Unfortunately we have not been provided when or if Windows 10 will be supported. Should that information become available, we will be sure to update the community of this change.

If you check the STO Forums there are some who have posted workarounds or steps to try.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/startrekonline

We appreciate your continued patience and understanding.

Regards,

Erelias

Game Master

Perfect World Entertainment

http://support.arcgames.com/

Response Via Email (Ashynt) 08/02/2015 02:07 PM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please try to "Force verify" the client files by following the short guide I've outlined below:

1. Shutdown your PC and wait for a few minutes before restarting it

2. Shutdown all non-essential (including browsers, downloaders, instant messengers, gaming related software) applications running on your PC

3. Launch the game via Arc

4. Click the "Options" link located at the upper-right corner of the launcher

5. Check the option "Force verify"

6. Click the "Save" button

At this point, the launcher will manually check each file against the server, and if it finds any discrepancy, it will download the correct file. After this process is completed, please login to the game and test if it is working as intended now.

You can also try "Safe Mode" by following the short guide I've outlined below:

1. Launch the game via Arc

2. Click the "Options" link located at the upper-right corner of the launcher

3. Check the option "Safe Mode"

4. Click the "Save" button

5. Launch the game

Then please check if issue has been resolved. If it does, kindly try to increase your in-game settings a step at a time until you reach the point wherein you are satisfied with the graphics output.

Regards,

Ashynt

Game Master

Perfect World Entertainment

http://support.arcgames.com/

I hope this helps everyone that is having any issues with Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    neoatticusneoatticus Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Considering that is VERBATIM (except names) my conversation with Technical Support for this game, and my issue was NOT resolved, sadly it does not help.
  • Options
    emphatic83emphatic83 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Yup they seem unwilling to provide support to anyone who uses windows 10, even when windows 10 is clearly not the culprit. Just flat out refusing to assist your customers is a terrible business practice, kudos Cryptic for having the worst support period.
  • Options
    wardragon3wardragon3 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I am a life time subscriber and they will not give me satisfactory support either. I am debating weather or not getting ahold of a lawyer will help. Any one up for a class action?
  • Options
    bookrackersbookrackers Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    been playing since launch, nothing has ever defeated my crew until now. Gee Cryptic, did you think people would just stay with an outdated version of windows so they can play your game? I have never had this much issue playing your game. And youre going to blame it on windows 10? Nope, I blame the game makers lack of foresight as they likely knew windows 10 was coming.

ive tried every work around i can think of to bring functionality to this game to no avail. Im pretty certain its not the machine either. I have a very high end computer that can run circles around most at its current configuration.

Apparently making sure a game is compatiable with a OS is less important that pushing out subpar episodes with missions that look to be created on a etch-a-sketch by a 5 year old. Or creating super bloat content that has no real true bearing on a persons charachter or the trek universe. This game has turned into the Paris Hilton of MMOs. Yes its nice to look at, but because its so superficial it becomes something you dont want to be around for very long.

Considering the amount of money ive pumped into the Cryptic wallet over the last 5 years, this just makes me feel like a crazy cat women dumping her pension into Dione Warwicks psychic friends network.

The support from Arc is nonexistant
    The game content is fastfood delivered from a drive thru (they mess up orders in the drive thru ya know)
    The excuses to why something can't happen is not explained leading me to believe that some if not most could care less.

I can't currently play your game, and you cant give me an answer as to when i can....sounds like I should be playing something else at this point........because i certainly cannot play the game want to play.

Stay classy cryptic
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    Yeah, I got a brand new computer because my last one was about ready to be dead and I upgraded to Windows 10 right off the bat. I haven't bothered with Customer Support because they can't even be bothered to fix a glitch I discovered two months ago in a mission. So, I'm forced to keep using my laggy, POS, old computer to continue to play. Bravo, Cryptic. I hope you will pardon my language, but you TRIBBLE suck. I've had problems with your game on numerous occasions, such as that time I couldn't play for seven months after Delta Rising came out. So, without further ado, I'll be turning my attention to my fabulous new Minecraft for Windows 10 and all those lovely Steam and Origin games that work fantastically on WIndows 10. It's not our fault you can't get your TRIBBLE together. Toodaloo!
  • Options
    sherriann33sherriann33 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    right click on the sto icon, go to properties then select the compatability tab, set it to compatability mode then select windows 7 I used to do this with Diablo 2 on windows 7 I would set it to xp or 98, so far this is working the game just booted for me for the first time on windows 10
  • Options
    heyzoosheyzoos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    right click on the sto icon, go to properties then select the compatability tab, set it to compatability mode then select windows 7 I used to do this with Diablo 2 on windows 7 I would set it to xp or 98, so far this is working the game just booted for me for the first time on windows 10

i tried this before i came to the forums for other ideas that might get STO to work with my newly installed microsoft operating [somewhat operating???] system.

as much as i would like to blame windows, i agree that there has been plenty of lead time to let people know that they need to adapt their games to win 10.
    some have adapted to win 10, and some have hoped that a big meteor will destroy the earth and they won't have to deal with this problem.
    i have not heard of any reports of that meteor. . . yet.

i would like to try the safe mode or verify files options but hitting the play button brings up a blank screen, and just to be sure i waited long enough i went and did other things around the house.

this bug has been helpful to sorting through the things around the house that need to become donations to non-profit stores around town, and things that will help fill the landfill.

so it has not been a waste of 20 minutes, 45 minutes and 60 minutes of my time with a blank screen "just to be sure" i wasn't being impatient.

however, i am still looking around for ideas that will work, or reports of that meteor.
  • Options
    shanker666shanker666 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    try keeping the sto launcher it in minimized mode then launch in safe mode. when(and if) ya get to the character screen then maximize the window and check all your settings...if that works,you'll hafta do it every time. i do and it's the only way i can get to the character screen. best of luck to ya!
  • Options
    ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    That's strange, because I'm running Windows 10 right now and I have had the same issues with the game that I had when I was still running Windows 8.1, and those were not on my end. Though there are new issues that have come up, but they are more server connectivity than a problem with Windows 10 handling the game, so again, unlikely that those have the OS to blame as they just popped up today. And they DIDN'T say this: Most of the software that you could download or buy that says that it will work on Windows 7 or Windows 8 WILL LIKELY RUN JUST FINE on Windows 10. In fact, Windows 10 was designed to do just that, and that I would think would not exclude STO. So there is even more of a reason that you should be upset...they are blaming an issue that they likely caused on your OS.

This game is one of many programs that I have run on 8.1 that works on Windows 10, and that was without any special things or flipping it into compatibility mode without launching through Arc (I actually found a link to the standalone launcher on someone sig here on the forums and have been using that since and it works beautifully on Windows 10 as is), so this email that you received is basically Cryptic not wanting to admit that the game DOES run on that operating system and it's THEM that messed up.
  • Options
    v851v851 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I've been playing STO for many years now, not long after it's launch. I had no problem loading the game while using Windows 7, I'm using Windows 10 now, the response I got from Cryptic was STO isn't compatible with Windows 10 at this moment, and they are working on it.

I'm going to be missing out on alot of new stuff, and won't be able to play until they resolve their issue, this is not fair to myself or anyone else who is using Windows 10. Since all the new computers are coming out with Windows 10 on them, Cryptic is going to be losing out on alot of new game players.

I think a class action lawsuit which will force them to update their system to where everyone using Windows 10 can access the game would be a good idea. I would be happy if they would give all of us that are inconvenienced free lifetime membership, or all the new ships, anything would be nice.

They need to get this issue taken care of quickly.
  • Options
    So yeah, I finally submitted an in-game request for GM support for a totally unrelated issue, but I managed to get a bit in about their crappy practices when it comes to Win 10 and I got the same answer as above, about using safe mode, which was recommended to me by a friend when his computer pitched a fit. He's going back to Win 8.1, but still. So, I'm going to ask all of you if you would be willing to sign and spread a mass petition around that will force Cryptic to look into this if they see enough of their players are inconvenienced by this issue. I'd say go for the class-action, but only if you're a lifetime subscriber already, otherwise you have no legal ground other than that you can't play the game. I studied this a bit and I did ask around to some players I know IRL and they've agreed to sign a petition if it comes up. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Funny thing is...besides a lag issue here and there, no problems on Windows 10 here. What's more, is that the Windows Compatibility Center DOES say that STO is compatible and that no further work is needed with Windows 10. So whatever you guys are having with the game, it seems to be only affecting a minority of people, or that they are slowly fixing the issues. Again, though, for me, going to Win 10 seems to have HELPED my gameplay, not actually made it worse or unplayable, with the occasional lag spike here and there, but that is due to my entry-level laptop that BARELY exceeds the minimum specs for STO, so some hits in terms of performance are to be expected.

So whatever your issues are they seem to be localized to a select minority. Thus, a class-action will likely end up TRIBBLE you over in the long run, as it doesn't seem to be affecting everybody running Windows 10, but a small number of players.

And one other thing. It DOES actually take TIME for a developer of an application or program to write the patch or update for the program. Now, I'm not by ANY means saying that they should be taking a month for it though. But most court systems in America will take this case, laugh at it, and chuck it in a trash bin. Also, I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't already have a patch for Windows 10 in the game or ready to put in the game, being it's been out for a bit over 2 months already. I might also point out that there is legal terminology like "provided" in these emails in the OP, and that the repliers of those emails did NOT work for Cryptic, but INSTEAD Perfect World Entertainment. Thus, voiding any ground you might have to stand on with either company in terms of a lawsuit, considering that all PWE does is publish the game as a free to play game.

And I also know that I posted on this forum discussion before, but I feel that those legal terms that everyone seems to have missed are key to point out. So sorry everyone, at this point, there is no case worth wasting your precious time and money over (no sarcasm intended on that nor am I trying to be rude)...as there literally IS no case. Class action or not, it will be tossed out in any court system in the United States before a judge even SEES it. That much I am wholeheartedly 150% sure on. And you really can't be upset with a company for sharing all that they currently know with you to the point of suing them. If the court systems allowed that to happen, what we would have is most DEFINITELY a perversion of the American justice system.

The moral simply is this: PWE and Cryptic cannot be touched with a lawsuit based on the terminology used and who sent the emails. The most you can do now is either wait-patiently-or stop playing.
    Post edited by ronanobrien on
  • Options
    Okay, I have no idea who you are, Mister Ronanobrien or whatever your name is, but I just want to give you a friendly reminder that a minority of people are being affected because we're the idiots who though that STO would work with Win 10. Every single person I've talked to who plays STO and has Win 10 has been TRIBBLE over. And that's being nice about it. Because you seem to be quite the tech guru with your functioning STO with Win 10, explain to me why it is that my STO doesn't cooperate with a computer that hasn't even been out of the box for a month? Because I'd love to hear your answer. Not trying to jump your TRIBBLE or anything, but you seem awfully wordy for someone who keep reiterating the same thing a dozen times in different fashions.
  • Options
    freezy321freezy321 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    I recently had STO fail to start as well, reinstalling it did not help.
    I had just upgraded my motherboard and cpu, along with the video card.
    Using safemode or resetting the settings by removing the config files did not get me past the cryptic loading screen (it crashed half way through).

Reinstalling windows (use the refresh install option) did.

You could check if your windows is feeling a bit sick:
    - Run as administrator: sfc /scannow

Google it, it's a built in tool for windows to repair certain ailments.
    If it says everythings fine, then reinstalling windows might not help you.
    If it says stuff was repaired, reboot, run it again, untill it says everything is fine, then reboot and try STO.
    If it says stuff is broken but could not be repaired, refresh windows install
    You will not lose any files, though all applications will not be installed, all relevant files will be moved into a c:\Windows.old folder, from there you can manually restore stuff like appdata (save games, settings, etc)

If this helps, let others know.
    If it does not, well at least you tried.

Also just to make sure:
    - Check your drivers (make sure you also check the ones for your motherboard chipsets as those are very important)
    - Are there any other games that fail to run? (In my case only The Talos Principle refused to run as well)
    - If you upgraded to windows 10, check to make sure the directx stuff is installed (for steam distributions it's in the startrek online _CommonRedist folder (<Steam Installation>\SteamApps\Common\Star Trek Online\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DxSetup.exe)

If you are going to reinstall, save the
    \Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs
    folder before you remove it, then let the launcher verify a half assed uninstalled version, it save you the trouble of dowloading 12 GB

I hope this helps, if not, then you could try a USB drive install of a windows of your choice.
    If only to make sure that it's your current installation.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    I copied the STO folder from this Windows 7 laptop into an older laptop with a completely fresh install of Windows 10 and used the Program Files (x86) folder. Created a link to the launcher on my desktop, set it to run as Admin. Had to run it in safe mode the first time, but works perfectly, and I don't have Steam or Arc in it.

Seems like a hit or miss thing with Windows 10.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Just went through with the direct upgrade from a Windows 7 to 10 on an older desktop to see what happens. After the first day of the computer stalling or freezing on basically any task, it now seems to run smoothly including STO, without any reinstall or even safe mode required.

So yeah, hit and miss seems to be it, which kinda makes me worry for the laptop I use for playing. I intend to upgrade at some point, but can't say I'm that thrilled by it.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    toiva wrote: »
    Just went through with the direct upgrade from a Windows 7 to 10 on an older desktop to see what happens. After the first day of the computer stalling or freezing on basically any task, it now seems to run smoothly including STO, without any reinstall or even safe mode required.

So yeah, hit and miss seems to be it, which kinda makes me worry for the laptop I use for playing. I intend to upgrade at some point, but can't say I'm that thrilled by it.

Go for a clean install and let Windows handle the drivers (or have the driver files ready to be pulled in by the device manager). Frankly, I'm surprised it runs so well on my old laptop. My main complain is all those dumb default uninstallable apps, but there is now a tool for removing those. (http://lifehacker.com/10appsmanager-uninstalls-or-reinstalls-default-windows-1730397258)
  • Options
    blackhcblackhc Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    ok just to help you guy's out i have been using windows 10 for over 6 months (yes i am a windows insider ) and i am a lifer on sto i have been able to play the game without ANY problems (latest patch / upgrade excluded 17-09-2015)
    as for my machine its one of the best money can buy atm BUT my GF's compuert is a basic all in one touchscreen gaming comp from acer running a basic I5 pentium with a nvidia geforce graphics card AND ofc win 10

so cryptic explane to me how windows 10 is not suported while it runs here without any modifications to the game OR and backward compatebillety used explane that to your (fan base)

i think its time for cryptic to concetrate on more fixing and les content (as bookrackers said ) its shamefull for a game to offer NO support what so ever to players who play the game for free its out right dysasterous to offer no support for people we payd 300 euro AT least to becoume liffers
  • Options
    freezy321freezy321 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    I worked on a small online game once, I responded to over 200 mails a day and that was alongside my tasks as a junior programmer. Comperatively this was with a very small playerbase.

I bet with a playebase this large, their support has deflectors up to maximum to keep the bulk of random support questions at bay. They most likely watch for crash reports and wait for the core programmers to solve issues.

Although it is inexcusably horrible to blow the playerbase off with a "it's not supported".
    Microsoft basically FORCE FED windows 10 to their users.

What I would recommend ARC/Cryptic to change their support stance to an equally un-intensive treatment, but at least with a focus on providing links to at least some helpful information.
    It's ok to get technical AND specify that the user should get some assistance if necessary in making repairs.

Step 1: Upon reading about start up crashes or the game suddenly crashing:
    "Sorry you are having troubles, thank you for letting us know. Send a crash report if you can and here are some steps you might try to resolve it. <continue to list all information relevant, preferably with numbers on each step>"
    Then add an extra apology for sending a standard reply e-mail, just out of courtesy.
    People do know this and it really pushes buttons, so recognize this and say it is a necessary step to verify that all steps are taken, missing a single one might just be the solution the player was in need of ;-).

Step 2: If any such player replies to Step 1, actually read their e-mail, check if they did all the steps as recommended.
    Make a note of their findings, perhaps they resolved it?
    If they resolved it, thank them and let it go, if not proceed to Step 3.

Step 3:
    Let one computer savvy person come up with potential fixes for this case, fire one or two off and check for results.
    If you find a resolution add it to the e-mail in step one.

Step 4:
    Observer escalation
    Support desk standard replies to e-mails -> medium IT savvy person tries to resolve it -> actual programmer

Final thoughts

Halting all development because one person has a problem, would most likely cost the game it's player-base.
    Though cranking out episodes like a machine is not helping creativity either.
    In case of an MMO the people adding content would most likely not even know how to fix any of these issues, so it would make no sense to fire those people just so they could reallocate all those resources into a programmer core (that still needs to get up to speed).

The game is not broken when lots of people can play, for those that are having problems, try to fix windows first.
    Most likely you have an unresolved software or hardware issue not related to startrek online.
    Once that is ruled out, the game should work or need a reinstall.

• Options
    blackhcblackhc Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    freezy321 wrote: »
    I worked on a small online game once, I responded to over 200 mails a day and that was alongside my tasks as a junior programmer. Comperatively this was with a very small playerbase.

I bet with a playebase this large, their support has deflectors up to maximum to keep the bulk of random support questions at bay. They most likely watch for crash reports and wait for the core programmers to solve issues.

Although it is inexcusably horrible to blow the playerbase off with a "it's not supported".
    Microsoft basically FORCE FED windows 10 to their users.

What I would recommend ARC/Cryptic to change their support stance to an equally un-intensive treatment, but at least with a focus on providing links to at least some helpful information.
    It's ok to get technical AND specify that the user should get some assistance if necessary in making repairs.

Step 1: Upon reading about start up crashes or the game suddenly crashing:
    "Sorry you are having troubles, thank you for letting us know. Send a crash report if you can and here are some steps you might try to resolve it. <continue to list all information relevant, preferably with numbers on each step>"
    Then add an extra apology for sending a standard reply e-mail, just out of courtesy.
    People do know this and it really pushes buttons, so recognize this and say it is a necessary step to verify that all steps are taken, missing a single one might just be the solution the player was in need of ;-).

Step 2: If any such player replies to Step 1, actually read their e-mail, check if they did all the steps as recommended.
    Make a note of their findings, perhaps they resolved it?
    If they resolved it, thank them and let it go, if not proceed to Step 3.

Step 3:
    Let one computer savvy person come up with potential fixes for this case, fire one or two off and check for results.
    If you find a resolution add it to the e-mail in step one.

Step 4:
    Observer escalation
    Support desk standard replies to e-mails -> medium IT savvy person tries to resolve it -> actual programmer

Final thoughts

Halting all development because one person has a problem, would most likely cost the game it's player-base.
    Though cranking out episodes like a machine is not helping creativity either.
    In case of an MMO the people adding content would most likely not even know how to fix any of these issues, so it would make no sense to fire those people just so they could reallocate all those resources into a programmer core (that still needs to get up to speed).

The game is not broken when lots of people can play, for those that are having problems, try to fix windows first.
    Most likely you have an unresolved software or hardware issue not related to startrek online.
    Once that is ruled out, the game should work or need a reinstall.

most commen problems are driver relaited problems on windows 10
    make shure you have all the drivers updated there is a tool called : snappy driver installer (google it its free)
    and it works great on windows 10 (use it all the time in the computer repair store i work in

and secondly take a good look at your hardware windows 10 wil run on just about any machine but that dosent say windows 10 with sto wil
    good luck
  • Options
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    Okay, I have no idea who you are, Mister Ronanobrien or whatever your name is, but I just want to give you a friendly reminder that a minority of people are being affected because we're the idiots who though that STO would work with Win 10. Every single person I've talked to who plays STO and has Win 10 has been TRIBBLE over. And that's being nice about it. Because you seem to be quite the tech guru with your functioning STO with Win 10, explain to me why it is that my STO doesn't cooperate with a computer that hasn't even been out of the box for a month? Because I'd love to hear your answer. Not trying to jump your TRIBBLE or anything, but you seem awfully wordy for someone who keep reiterating the same thing a dozen times in different fashions.

Well, here's my answer then: You are totally right. I got a new computer and now it's hanging up on the secondary loading screen (the one that shows the game logo and says "Loading...") and so it DOES seem like an issue with Windows 10. NOT the game though, as I have seen things of Microsoft totally working hand in hand with the NSA. I'm downgrading my laptop-my main PC that I plan on keeping personal info on-back to Windows 8.1...the BETTER OS compared to Windows 10.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    PWE/Cryptic is using the Win10 rollout as a excuse to close any ticket with win 10 in it . with a carded response . they should be more than prepared for 10 , they just want to lower there ticket counts. i bet the closed ticket nunbers for the CS team rose by 30% just because of win 10 issues .
  • Options
    bullofborgbullofborg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Just thought I would say how I got STO working on Windows 10.

The problem is (and seems to be with a lot of older games) that Win 10 doesn't like an app trying to full screen in none wide resolutions. When STO first starts it tries to detect what resolution to run is, and fails. To fix this follow these steps.

In the launcher, click options. Untick Full Screen, and Tick Safe mode. Click save and start the game. The game will run in a window that is 800x600, trying to full screen at this point will crash so exit the game.

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata (if on 32bit ignore the (x86)) and copy the file Gameprefs.Pref to your desktop(editing the file directly will cause issues) and open it with Wordpad. Find the following lines:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.Fullscreen 0
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenHeight 600
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenWidth 800

Change these to your desired resolution, for example for 1366 x 768 (note that Width and Height are reversed)

PrefEntry GfxSettings.Fullscreen 1
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenHeight 768
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenWidth 1366

Save the file and copy the file from your desktop back to the above folder and start the game, it should now run full screen. You will also probably want to turn up the graphics settings to your desired levels.

This IS a problem with Windows 10 and certain driver combinations. A lot of games that try to detect resolution, or start in a none wide resolution will fail to run. Fixing the OS by re-installing/refreshing is not required.
  • Options
    tarses291tarses291 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I had problems launching the game client in Windows 10, but I just tried the compatibility wizard on the game client and reverted it back to Windows 8. It seems to be working fine again at the moment (touch wood!).
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    hmm, Knock on wood... I've been using Windows 10 for about a month now. No problems running STO, I do use Arc.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'm on Arc, I've had some recent lag, but no problems getting the game to launch.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    tarses291tarses291 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    tarses291 wrote: »
    I had problems launching the game client in Windows 10, but I just tried the compatibility wizard on the game client and reverted it back to Windows 8. It seems to be working fine again at the moment (touch wood!).

Spoke to soon - launcher keeps freezing now! Tried resetting compatibility to Windows 7, still no luck.

• Options
    I've talked to a few other buddies of mine recently and they've had similar problems. One (the same one who suggested the safe mode thing to me) actually had his computer crash because of Win 10 related problems and now STO works fine with his 8.1 setup. He and my other buddy were having some major problems but their computers crapped out because of Win 10, so they wound up resetting to 8.1 or 7. Moral of story: Not sure if Cryptic has heads up asses permanently, or Win 10 is TRIBBLE with some of us for fun?
  • Options
    kepler11kepler11 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Have been having continuous "server not responding" issues for about a week, reverted to Windows 8 from Windows 10 tonight and no problems....
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    i dont know what to say , but my win 10 machine works fairly well with STO at the moment . though mine is a new install complete new pc build which may be why . i guessing those with win 10 issues have upgraded from a previous windows version?