test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maxed out gravity well.

Just curious if any ones tried maxing out stats for gravity well. I'm wondering more about the damage these days. With all the traits and particle generator boosts I'm wondering if you can create a truely damaging well.

Or is it just for crowd control and nothing more?

Comments

• Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Yes, it can be quite damaging.

Doubly so if you throw Sensor Scan + AP:Beta onto your targets and can use an OSS to boost both the SS and GW. And don't forget the Aftershock DOff.

It does trade off damage for it's CC, though. If you're looking for raw damage, look at Destabilizing Resonance Beam (which actually works a lot better if you have a group clustered together with GW) or TBR.

On the flip side, if you ramp up your Graviton Generators quite high, you can do some really interesting things with a GW. People have been known to get 20KM wide GWs.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    A fully buffed grav gen skill will let you pull in enemies from around 20km away, which can easily be the entire battlefield in some missions. So you have the potential to hoover up the entire enemy fleet into one place. Add in aftershock wells and you can create havoc with the enemy fleet.
    That allows you to jump in with a resonance beam, or torp spreads (gravimetric or particle emission torps excel here), or even Tyken's Rift and do damage to the whole lot in one go.

In fact having such a massive grav well, whilst not necessarily giving you a massive DPS will boost the rest of the team's DPS as everyone's targets will be sitting ducks with almost zero defense value. Everyone can appreciate a well placed grav well, it can really help win a fight as you don't need to chase down enemies.

Basically full points into grav gens + a science ship with 5 sci slots full of grav gen consoles + everything else that boosts grav gens = pretty much creates a black hole in the middle of the enemy fleet (nothing gets out....ever).
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    For a Science Captain, I think Gravity Well is both crowd control and DPS source. It's a good idea to load up the right torpedoes, anything that has an AoE effect is a good start. Though I wouldn't recommend any heavy torpedoes, but that's a general problem with their unreliability.

The Particle Emission Torpedo (Crafting/Exchange), the Gravimetric Torpedo, the Neutronic Torpedo and the Bio-whatever Torpedo from the Undine reputation all deliver here to some extent. Torpedo Spread is the better buff in general for these - if all those enemies clump together in the center of the grav well, all those torpedoes and all their AOEs and later all those warp core explosion affect most of your targets.
    Sometimes, when you catch one of those SPhere/Probe only groups in a Borg Red Alert, it really seems they melt under your Grav Well + torpedo salvo. (THat said - anyone with a good DPS/BFAW build will have the same experience...)

The crowd control potential is awesome for many STFs, as you can ensure that your enemies don't get anywhere you want them to go (like the Nanite Spheres in Infected, or all those Crystal Shards and Tholian ships that are suddenly trapped around the Entity.)

Unfortunately, it's really hard to find any alternatives to Gravity Well. I know there are some people focusing on drain builds, but I don't think anyone is still using Charged Particle Burst, Photonic Shockwave or Scramble Sensors...

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    A fully buffed grav gen skill will let you pull in enemies from around 20km away, which can easily be the entire battlefield in some missions. So you have the potential to hoover up the entire enemy fleet into one place. Add in aftershock wells and you can create havoc with the enemy fleet.
    That allows you to jump in with a resonance beam, or torp spreads (gravimetric or particle emission torps excel here), or even Tyken's Rift and do damage to the whole lot in one go.

In fact having such a massive grav well, whilst not necessarily giving you a massive DPS will boost the rest of the team's DPS as everyone's targets will be sitting ducks with almost zero defense value. Everyone can appreciate a well placed grav well, it can really help win a fight as you don't need to chase down enemies.

Basically full points into grav gens + a science ship with 5 sci slots full of grav gen consoles + everything else that boosts grav gens = pretty much creates a black hole in the middle of the enemy fleet (nothing gets out....ever).

And they say Science doesn't have a place in this game anymore. You just gave me an idea to work towards with my science characters!

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    those Crystal Shards and Tholian ships that are suddenly trapped around the Entity.)

It is incredibly effective in CCA, because for some reason the crystal shards (both large & small) seem to have no resistance to the pull of even a tiny grav well so you suck in everything in range. Tholian ships have some evasive ability but they aren't the main target so getting them caught is a bonus.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    20k gravity well sounds awesome lol.

I'm using gravity well on my guardian combined with ionic turbulence. I was thinking of using eject warp plasma as well to up the exotic particle damage.

Might have to crack out a science ship. :)
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

I'm using gravity well on my guardian combined with ionic turbulence. I was thinking of using eject warp plasma as well to up the exotic particle damage.

Keep in mind that he said 20 KM as in twice the distance you have to be to even target enemies.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Ooohhhh I have to try turbulence! :D

One of my favorite tricks is using Grav Well, then tossing a Tricobalt Torp spread. Each torp is a small AoE, and the combined blast can be devastating.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Subspace sinkhole can be a decent alternative if you don't mind being stuck in a pilot ship. The effect doesn't linger like GW but it looks like it pulls a whole lot more.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    and dont forget we now have consoles that can buff both partgens and gravgens in one console from the research lab.

if oyu want primary gravgens go for it i love watching space bend ;-D
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Yes, it can be quite damaging.

Doubly so if you throw Sensor Scan + AP:Beta onto your targets and can use an OSS to boost both the SS and GW. And don't forget the Aftershock DOff.

That's just scary! That's what? 5k? 7 when you add OSS... Maybe 10k with EPtA... And that's just from my current numbers...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Keep in mind that he said 20 KM as in twice the distance you have to be to even target enemies.

Oh yeah. I was thinking km in my head as I was typing it. Stupid fingers didn't want to type m! :tongue:
  • Options
    orionburstorionburst Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    kamipoi wrote: »
    and dont forget we now have consoles that can buff both partgens and gravgens in one console from the research lab.

if oyu want primary gravgens go for it i love watching space bend ;-D

My current non-lab sci build (fdssv) has near 50/50 on part gen/grav gen and does about 14km in terms of pull range with decent damage...(more is the rom rep is active, usually picking up the tholian swarm behind the ce)

As to my opening combo, it typically is:

Hit sensor analysis at 10km, then at 5/4km hit the rom rep t5 power, sensor scan, gw(aftershock), iso, resonance, and gravimetric torp in a spread 2 - then dropping a couple of mines before hitting reverse to backpedal to a safe range (with delicious crittage, the combo knocks a decent chunk off the ces health by itself)

if and when I get the dil (too busy buying zen while its dirt cheap) to upgrade, the poor mobs will never know what hit them...let along the crystalline lug :D​​
    344qvwl.jpg

I'm an Arc user? Yeah, right..I'd rather eat a chainsaw, blade first
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    First off, I'm glad the OP put up this thread because it gets tiresome to see DPS centric threads day in and out.

Grav wells have become very effective. If you combine the aftershock doff with the engines offline doff, you pretty much clump all the NPCs in one spot and make it easy to blow all of them up.

You can get either part gens or grav gens way over 400 easily with all the gear around. With the R&D holding's gear, you can crank one up to over 400 and the other to a decent state, and going max grav gens and high part gens might be the best route for CC effectiveness.

Also, there are two exotic damage ship traits, although one is unfortunately tied to the annorax ship. The other is in the Scryer. The Vesta has an exotic damage boosting console so using it, traits, and gear would probably yield the most exotic damage.

Science is fun. Let me see if I have time later to list all the gear and values needed to max each of the two skills.

Post edited by lucho80 on
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    First off, I'm glad the OP put up this thread because it gets tiresome to see DPS centric threads day in and out.

Grav wells have become very effective. If you combine the aftershock doff with the engines offline doff, you pretty much clump all the NPCs in one spot and make it easy to blow all of them up.

You can get either part gens or grav gens way over 400 easily with all the gear around. With the R&D holding's gear, you can crank one up to over 400 and the other to a decent state, and going max grav gens and high part gens might be the best route for CC effectiveness.

Also, there are two exotic damage ship traits, although one is unfortunately tied to the annorax ship. The other is in the Dauntless. The Vesta has an exotic damage boosting console so using it, traits, and gear would probably yield the most exotic damage.

Science is fun. Let me see if I have time later to list all the gear and values needed to max each of the two skills.

for the ship trait? Not the Dauntless, the Scryer. The Dauntless has that healing trait.

I love maxed out grav gen vesta in the Mirror event. Cant wait to get part gen and grav gen consoles for it this year. The torpedo bubble console is amazing when you grab agro from everything because of your mega well. All those typhoons torpedo spreading you just to reflect it back. I've 1 shot a whole group of them in that event with that console and having more part gens will help a lot :)
  • Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Ooo so many ideas to try on my new toy! Iso is affected by partgen/gravgen/exotic dmg?
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    I did not know those new consoles do both. ..that is awesome XD
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    orionburstorionburst Member Posts: 67 Arc User

Also, there are two exotic damage ship traits, although one is unfortunately tied to the annorax ship. The other is in the Dauntless. The Vesta has an exotic damage boosting console so using it, traits, and gear would probably yield the most exotic damage.

There is one other exotic boosting console too - the vaaduar anchor drone has a decent +exotic damage boost tied to it too​​
    344qvwl.jpg

I'm an Arc user? Yeah, right..I'd rather eat a chainsaw, blade first
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    And they say Science doesn't have a place in this game anymore. You just gave me an idea to work towards with my science characters!

Only stupid, incompetent and singleminded people would say something like this.​​
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    orionburst wrote: »

There is one other exotic boosting console too - the vaaduar anchor drone has a decent +exotic damage boost tied to it too​​

Not only that but that anchor is a nice alternative to TB fof holding ships in the GravWell if your TB is on cool down.
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    I like to throw in an Isometric charge once all the enemies are in the GW, that can do large amounts of damage
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Intel just works so well with Science.

OSS+GW+Ionic Turbulence+Whatever AOE offensive options afterwards. Throw in TAC's stuff like APA, GDF, FOMM into it, or SCI's Conservation of Energy, Sensor Scan.

Depending on the state and position of the enemies, you can do Ionic Turbulence first for the big debuff then hit OSS, then GW, then your other AOE attacks.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    Just tested my new Scryer exotic damage build and it is quite potent! ;) I'm running Neutronic and Particle Emission Torps because why the TRIBBLE not? And I'm trying TBRIII with DSRBII, GWI and SV2. I thought those last two had a global cool down but I seem to wrong... Or I'm just lagging beyond comprehension. Once I get those new science consoles my ship will have an extra 100 Graviton generators for 300 total so my mega well should swallow things nicely.

I think I'm gonna keep omni beams for Subsystem targeting and grab some +Torpedo consoles with [Crtd] to complement the particle manipulator trait.

The Scryer is far too limited in tactical slots I'm afraid, I think the Dauntless is a better option. It can run KLW, APB, TSIII and a few other goodies.

I'm enjoying that Structural Integrity Collapse as well because of the kinetic debuff. Since I can't take APB.

I'm pretty new to science so any recommendations would be appreciated! I also have ISO cannon BTW. There are so many good consoles but not nearly enough space for them.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    lsegn wrote: »
    Just tested my new Scryer exotic damage build and it is quite potent! ;) I'm running Neutronic and Particle Emission Torps because why the TRIBBLE not? And I'm trying TBRIII with DSRBII, GWI and SV2. I thought those last two had a global cool down but I seem to wrong... Or I'm just lagging beyond comprehension. Once I get those new science consoles my ship will have an extra 100 Graviton generators for 300 total so my mega well should swallow things nicely.

I think I'm gonna keep omni beams for Subsystem targeting and grab some +Torpedo consoles with [Crtd] to complement the particle manipulator trait.

The Scryer is far too limited in tactical slots I'm afraid, I think the Dauntless is a better option. It can run KLW, APB, TSIII and a few other goodies.

I'm enjoying that Structural Integrity Collapse as well because of the kinetic debuff. Since I can't take APB.

I'm pretty new to science so any recommendations would be appreciated! I also have ISO cannon BTW. There are so many good consoles but not nearly enough space for them.

Scryer vs Dauntless is a good set of polarizing options.

The Scryer is much more tough and has the luxury of going hardcore Intel as well as Gather Intel. The ship has that ability as well as Sensor Analysis. If you wanted, you can target the same or 2 different targets with both abilities, but I prefer both on 1. Very neat trick on the important targets for landing massive debuffs. Also, a good Particle Gens build should be getting attacked a lot. The tougher BOFF layout of the Scryer makes managing that much more easily.

Dauntless? I considered the ship trash when Delta Rising came out. Gave up far too much SCI, ENG for the TAC it has. With several new traits, 4 TAC Fleet Dauntless, it's a bit of a different story. These days it's a solid ship but it's the most fragile Science Vessel I've ever played.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options

The Scryer is much more tough and has the luxury of going hardcore Intel as well as Gather Intel. The ship has that ability as well as Sensor Analysis. If you wanted, you can target the same or 2 different targets with both abilities, but I prefer both on 1. Very neat trick on the important targets for landing massive debuffs. Also, a good Particle Gens build should be getting attacked a lot. The tougher BOFF layout of the Scryer makes managing that much more easily.

Dauntless? I considered the ship trash when Delta Rising came out. Gave up far too much SCI, ENG for the TAC it has. With several new traits, 4 TAC Fleet Dauntless, it's a bit of a different story. These days it's a solid ship but it's the most fragile Science Vessel I've ever played.

It does sacrifice almost all of its survivability now that I look more closely. Still, that much science and tactical sprinkled with some Intel would make one lethal Particle Gen build. It's not versatile like the Scryer but if you just want this one type of build It looks like it will outperform in the hybrid torpedo boat role. I wish we had a science guy making YouTube videos... :(
  • Options

P.s. Thanks for the info, I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Something tells me KLW has made extra Tac slots on a particle gen/torpedo boat much more useful...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

It does sacrifice almost all of its survivability now that I look more closely. Still, that much science and tactical sprinkled with some Intel would make one lethal Particle Gen build. It's not versatile like the Scryer but if you just want this one type of build It looks like it will outperform in the hybrid torpedo boat role. I wish we had a science guy making YouTube videos... :(
    Yeah, I put TSS on my Dauntless just for the added survivability.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited August 2015

Also, there are two exotic damage ship traits, although one is unfortunately tied to the annorax ship. The other is in the Scryer. The Vesta has an exotic damage boosting console so using it, traits, and gear would probably yield the most exotic damage.

Used strategically, a well placed grav well will turn the tide of a battle and they are lot of fun.

I have a pathfinder set up for crowd control duties and it works very well indeed
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      It's not that science isn't amazing it's that it take considerably more thought and resources to make it work then sleeping on the spacebar. I personally have only begun using it recently because of all the nice buffs that make it fun and interesting in different ways then spamming BFAW.

The worst part is how confusing it is to people who may want to try it out, there are several types of science builds with varying degrees of usefulness and no one simple cookie cutter build to suit every need. Particle generators alone lend itself to half a dozen or so viable powers including a threat drawing FBP build. It's just a lot of information to take in and it's hard to sort through it all easily. For science to become more popular we need YouTube channels, chat channels and sub-forums where people can get quick help. It just takes time, but I've found it extremely rewarding so far!
    • Options
      lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
      It's not that science isn't amazing it's that it take considerably more thought and resources to make it work then sleeping on the spacebar. I personally have only begun using it recently because of all the nice buffs that make it fun and interesting in different ways then spamming BFAW.

The worst part is how confusing it is to people who may want to try it out, there are several types of science builds with varying degrees of usefulness and no one simple cookie cutter build to suit every need. Particle generators alone lend itself to half a dozen or so viable powers including a threat drawing FBP build. It's just a lot of information to take in and it's hard to sort through it all easily. For science to become more popular we need YouTube channels, chat channels and sub-forums where people can get quick help. It just takes time, but I've found it extremely rewarding so far!

Difficulty in building from easiest:
      1) Part gens - So much of it going around, it's very easy. Some lobi gear buffs it.
      2) Grav gens - Pile everything up that you can. I don't think there is a lobi gear problem here.
      3) Sensors - Just pile it up. The two Nebula consoles help, but they require $$$.
      4) Flow caps (drain build) - More nuanced, and a lot of lobi involved here to max the skill.

I don't go into SubD and Countermeasures because personally, I haven't tried it. Of those two, I think Countermeasure Systems is the more effective one in PvP, I just don't see it used as much anymore.