What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales of the War #18

Comments

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    You tease us with Janeway but I would be stunned if you got Kate Mulgrew in. I would throw money at you for something I don't even want just to thank you for it but chances are so slim.

I loved Kate Mulgrew's voice-over performance on Bio-Ware's Dragon Age/Dragon Age II!
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    cecil08 wrote: »
    (Side note: Did the writing of Butterfly even watch Year of Hell? You don't need temporal shielding forever, just for the initial incursion. We should all remember everything... at least those of us shielded).

Anyway, I want to see Janeway!

Not entirely sure. Here's how I think it played out:

When Voyager is first caught in the temporal incursion, the ship conforms to the changes in time. Suddenly it shows signs of damage it wasn't supposed to have, the Krenim frigate is suddenly a warship, and Voyager's crew suffers casualties. None of the crew are conscious of the change at this time.

The second time they are in the way of a shockwave, they already have temporal shielding, originally designed to protect themselves from the Krenim torpedoes. This time, Voyager is not affected by the "temporal wavefront", but the Krenim warship/waships turn back to a frigate/frigates, and the Imperium back to a pre-warp state. After that, IIRC, Voyager maintains temporal shielding the whole time, until the very end. Voyager needed to the temporal shields juuust long enough to do its damage by ramming that dreadnought. After that, it didn't matter.

As for the evacuating crew --- either the escape pods were fitted with temporal shielding too, or they conformed to the changed timeline the moment they were launched.

But if the pods were shielded, that protection must've run out of juice by the end, because that last incursion created a new scenario with Annorax enjoying the company of his wife on Kyana Prime, planning to build his ship a second time, Voyager untouched and the crew all alive and well, and Tuvok even got his eyesight back.

It would've been ironic if the hair (which belonged to Annorax's wife) was preventing Annorax from attaining the solution he was searching for....
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User

That is currently true with the messed up timeline that cryptic is running.
    We were only able to access the delta quad because of undine trickery that forced us to jump that station in "A Step Between Stars" (I think thats what it's called, it is the first dyson mission with tuvok where you fly the dyson)

We never jumped anything anywhere :smile:

The whole mission was about knocking out the Solanae Sphere's jump capability before the Voth can take it, and we succeeded.

Then the station activated a gateway to the Jenolan Sphere. An opening that the Undine conveniently exploited.

"Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Great story to go with the official Cryptic missions. My first time reading Tales of the War and it was in Seven's voice B) I'd wish there was some way that our characters could individually influence the outcome of the Krenim's weapon (if actually deployed) against the Iconians but the devs have already predetermined it for us; I'm sure there is a gaming term for it but I don't know what it is.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    raj011 wrote: »
    Very interesting read. I am curious to know what projects Admiral Janeway is doing?

Rumor has it that she is hard at work making little starfleet captains the battle cloak of their dreams while sabotaging the cloaking devices of KDF and Romulan Republic ships. You know you gotta end this war and go exploring with a phaser rifle if you want to be one of the best in starfleet :D
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    robeasom wrote: »
    never been a fan of Janeway in my opinion she murdered a new species known as Tuvik and that made me dislike her as a character.
    To be fair, this particular episode was a massive "damned if you do, damned if you don't" without any good solution and murders on both sides: Janeway "murdered" Tuvix, but Tuvix, by his very existence, "murdered" Neelix and Tuvok... and the plant, don't forget about the plant.

The only way it would have gotten a happy ending was if there was a transporter accident creating another Tuvok and another Neelix... and the plant, don't forget about the plant.
    But even then, there'd be arguments about who is the original character.

Janeway may have been too "eager" to make Tuvix' separation and it's why a part of some fans hate her for that (forgetting her last scene where it shows she's much less than happy about what she did), but she wasn't necessarily wrong in her reasoning.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    stealthclaw2stealthclaw2 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    captainkc wrote: »
    Great story to go with the official Cryptic missions. My first time reading Tales of the War and it was in Seven's voice B) I'd wish there was some way that our characters could individually influence the outcome of the Krenim's weapon (if actually deployed) against the Iconians but the devs have already predetermined it for us; I'm sure there is a gaming term for it but I don't know what it is.

I believe the term you're looking for is "Railroading",
    " In short, the GM takes any measure necessary to ensure that there is only one direction the campaign may proceed — his planned direction. This can manifest in any number of imaginable ways; some of them subtle, others ... not so much" - TV Tropes article on Railroading.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    L'Miren is awesome.

Now... as we've already screwed over with time once... can we get our "Trek" hats on and go make peace with the Undine (and other races with stupidly oversized beams of death.) for the survival of everyone (Caitains not included.)

Make the Delta Recruit plotline ACTUALLY MATTER by having the "Undine Cavalry" finally show up to save us in the next episode. Have the Undine captain that received the warning from the Recruit talk to the sentient ship that mind-melded with Tuvok. Otherwise, if that plotline continues to be ignored, the Delta Recruit event is a waste.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    L'Miren is awesome.

Now... as we've already screwed over with time once... can we get our "Trek" hats on and go make peace with the Undine (and other races with stupidly oversized beams of death.) for the survival of everyone (Caitains not included.)

Make the Delta Recruit plotline ACTUALLY MATTER by having the "Undine Cavalry" finally show up to save us in the next episode. Have the Undine captain that received the warning from the Recruit talk to the sentient ship that mind-melded with Tuvok. Otherwise, if that plotline continues to be ignored, the Delta Recruit event is a waste.
    I think that Cryptic has kinda backed itself into a corner there - not every character is a Delta Recruit, but only the main character can be the Delta Recruit, since the Delta REcruit and the main character do the same missions.

So if at all, they can only acknowledge the Delta Recruits actions in the Delta Recruit specific story elements. If the Undine join us in our fight, then only the Delta Recruits could hear the acknowledgment that they were responsible for it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    L'Miren is awesome.

I think that Cryptic has kinda backed itself into a corner there - not every character is a Delta Recruit, but only the main character can be the Delta Recruit, since the Delta REcruit and the main character do the same missions.

So if at all, they can only acknowledge the Delta Recruits actions in the Delta Recruit specific story elements. If the Undine join us in our fight, then only the Delta Recruits could hear the acknowledgment that they were responsible for it.
    maybe a minor fork where if you aren't a delta recruit it was a mysterious time traveler, but if you are it was you?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    L'Miren is awesome.

That would be...sort of a solution, yes. The Delta Recruit storyline was ill-conceived, for sure.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Wait, has anyone else noticed that the stardate's for the war's blog entries seem......idunno, completely out of whack?

First blog, stardate 87305.1, is March 6, 2412 1845 hours
    Second blog, stardate 87310.7, March 8, 2412 2205 hours
    Third blog, stardate 87327.8, March 15, 2412 1050 hours
    fourth through thirteenth, no stardate provided
    fourteenth blog, stardate 87264.5....where the inconsistency starts up....since this is FEBRUARY 20, 2412 0635 hours....by your own reckoning, a good 12 days BEFORE the war was supposed to start....and when they were supposedly building the krenim ship
    fifteenth through seventeenth blog, no stardate provided
    eighteenth blog....stardates 87059.01 through 87218.48....December 3, 2411 1855 to Feb 2, 2412 1644 hours; further inconsistency, since the 14th blog was supposed to be during the construction of the weapon ship, yet by the end of blog 18, the weapon's been fired....a good 18 days before the previous dated blog...........

I'm no expert on temporal mechanics....but....what the heck?

source converter used: http://www.route56.com/fanfic/stardate.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bstyles4everbstyles4ever Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Wait before we go into time inconsistencies....it's 2412?! When did that happen?
  • Options
    Wait before we go into time inconsistencies....it's 2412?! When did that happen?

Sir, that would ALSO be a time inconsistency....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    somtaa, thank you for clearing [some of] it up....but that doesn't explain how we got to be 2412......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    As the war rages on, the Alliance is calling upon every available member to do their part in fighting off the Iconians. Testing continues as Seven of Nine works with the Krenim in hopes of defeating the Iconians.

You can check out our latest Tales of the War piece here.

~LaughingTrendy

Now I'm confused. There is no indication in "Butterfly" that the alteration did anything in any direction regarding the Iconians still being the problem of the present. In fact, it appears that there has been some sort of delay in their eventual arrival. The chronological of this story line seems out of sorts with the already happened events of "Butterfly". Did I miss something?

If the alteration holds true it stands to reason that lives lost in the attack on the Iconian sphere are now not lost. It also would suggest the possibility that M'tara is once again alive. Some clarity on this would be helpful. Unless of course we're about to be treated to an Admiral Janeway who is not entirely who we remember her to be. I'm not so sure I like that outcome.

• Options
    argent007 wrote: »
    Wait, has anyone else noticed that the stardate's for the war's blog entries seem......idunno, completely out of whack?

fourteenth blog, stardate 87264.5....where the inconsistency starts up....since this is FEBRUARY 20, 2412 0635 hours....by your own reckoning, a good 12 days BEFORE the war was supposed to start....and when they were supposedly building the krenim ship
    eighteenth blog....stardates 87059.01 through 87218.48....December 3, 2411 1855 to Feb 2, 2412 1644 hours; further inconsistency, since the 14th blog was supposed to be during the construction of the weapon ship, yet by the end of blog 18, the weapon's been fired....a good 18 days before the previous dated blog...........

short explanation, convertors don't work....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    xxs27xxxxs27xx Member Posts: 1 New User
    What I still do not get is how the gateway network deletion actually did anything: from what I understand the weapon makes it so an object never existed, but all the deletions before were of (or at least involved) "naturally"-occuring objects (no civilization starts in the first place because a comet that was to deliver the crucial organic ingredients is deleted, or the planet itself is deleted so there is no place for anything to start in the first place etc etc etc).
    In contrast the gate network is something the borg created, and the borg are still around. There is no mention that this weapon would delete all knowledge of how to build the gate network in the first place from the collective, so what is to stop them from simply creating the same or very similar network in the place of the deleted one and making the incursion have basically no effect other than alerting the borg to the fact that someone is trying to mess with them (there are several episodes that mention the borg do have at least some temporal tech, sorry do not remember exactly which)?
    Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited August 2015

When in doubt, ask Janeway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpT3ZjsCghY
    * pardon the low quality.

Same lady once said, "Temporal mechanics always gives me a headache."
    Wait... :: googles quote ::
    "Time travel. Ever since my first day in the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these god-forsaken paradoxes. The future is the past, the past is the future. It all gives me a headache."

Wow! We have royally mess up the time line now.
    latest?cb=20060820135735
    Look! Janeway has a 200 year old Phsaer Rifle. :p

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Here's the problem with time travel and time alteration: you can't do it properly and I'm not talking about their effects, I'm talking about making a story about them.

Because somewhere, someone will point out at least one reason why this particular one doesn't work, which will result in someone else pointing out something else that doesn't work, which will result in someone else pointing out why all of the previous people are wrong because there is this reason, etc...

It's not exactly the writer doing a bad job (unless it's too obvious something is wrong), it's just writing a "correct" time-travel is at best a nightmare, at worst, impossible.

So, my (obviously wrong in one way) take on this is: by erasing the transwarp gate, it also erases the other side of the wormhole (since now the Borg have no reason to have a wormhole set to appear near Romulus). By this definition, the Borg are either unaware of or unable to access Romulus this way, therefore they are still in the Delta Quadrant, therefore (somehow) allowing an asteroid to be created (maybe as a result of increased Borg activity, a civilization blew their planet up to take a part of the Borg fleet with them and one of the debris matched the trajectory of the original asteroid) and accidentally divert the U.S.S. Yamato to Iconia.

Or Q realized we messed up really really badly when we tried to correct our first mistake and decided to undo most of what we've done while making the Sphere Builders as a "compensation" for making him stop his plans for the Winter Event for 5 minutes. Also, he retroactively punished us by erasing First Contact day/Day of Honor/Republic day for this year.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    xxs27xx wrote: »
    What I still do not get is how the gateway network deletion actually did anything: from what I understand the weapon makes it so an object never existed, but all the deletions before were of (or at least involved) "naturally"-occuring objects (no civilization starts in the first place because a comet that was to deliver the crucial organic ingredients is deleted, or the planet itself is deleted so there is no place for anything to start in the first place etc etc etc).
    In contrast the gate network is something the borg created, and the borg are still around. There is no mention that this weapon would delete all knowledge of how to build the gate network in the first place from the collective, so what is to stop them from simply creating the same or very similar network in the place of the deleted one and making the incursion have basically no effect other than alerting the borg to the fact that someone is trying to mess with them (there are several episodes that mention the borg do have at least some temporal tech, sorry do not remember exactly which)?

However the weapon works exactly - it can remove created objects from existence (retroactively), and that means it probably also removes whatever decision or reason existed to make it. Basicaly, it must have altered the Borg's decision to build that gateway in the first place. The Borg must have decided - in the alternate timeline - they didn't need to assimilate Romulus (yet). (Prepare yourself for Changling-Borg).​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aerous77aerous77 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I read this in Seven of Nine's voice.

It's a great story and one that Cryptic should be proud of.
    “The miracle is this - the more we share, the more we have.” ― Leonard Nimoy.
  • Options
    raxicoricoraxicorico Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Could this mean an appearance from the reckless Janeway on STO? oh god, i hope not...

I hope the opposite...I would LOVE to see Kate Mulgrew reprise the role of good ol' Kathryn Janeway.

Yeah I know probably a longshot but man, if the writer's were to pull out the big guns and really come up with a clever inspired way to end the Iconian war with Janeway in something SUPER well written- i think it would go a long way to repairing player relations given how so many have been disappointed with the whole Iconian war and what not.

It's a tricky thing with the temporal manipulations the Krenum technology allows. Basically if the writers are to get away with it, I think the less said about the changes AFTER an incursion the better. It will just be too hard to document all the changes and a battle in futility. Better to focus on some main changes and assume everything else is ok - and I guess that way too it allows a wider canvas for later when introducing new elements to STO that might differ greatly from established canon.
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    In this time, the Tuterians failed to successfully utilize their adopted Solanae tech against the Borg.

I wonder if the Queen managed to get her hands on some Solanae technology.
    Which could lead the Borg to the spheres. Which are, of course, powered by Omega.

And since assimilating Omega at any cost is a directive in the Collective that overrules almost anything else...

We've seen that the Iconians and their servitors are pwning the Borg. And I'm guessing the Borg are having trouble assimilating Herald ships too because, like you've seen in the missions and queues, seconds after their destruction they totally disintegrate.
    In the Romulan campaign we find a barely functional cube that was gutted from the inside - probably with Iconian gateway tech.

But what if the Borg finds one or more of the spheres?

What do you guys think? Would this float in the story? :smile: Episodes or PVE queues?
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    I have a very important message... BACON, ok, i'm done
  • Options
    xxs27xx wrote: »
    One of Annorax's incursions erased a city. Not the planet the city was on, just the city.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    tredd2006tredd2006 Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @anthonyjc2010 said:
    > sarakit wrote: »
    >
    > Wouldn't the elimination of the transwarp network mean that voyager didn't make it back early, but 20 years later?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > my good friend, without the transwarp network, the borg would not of expanded enough for Q bring them up, furthermore, they would not have enough power/tech to even consider assaulting the undine, and when voyager encountered them each side would have no knoledge of eachother, voyager would of been destroyed, within a month at most, but if borg territory was small enough they could fly around, either way voyager would not be in the alpha quad (or might of been destroyed in krenim space). The vault would not be advanced as it currently is, the tal'shiar would not have borg tech. in 2409 federation and the klinks would not be at peace because we did not save their arses against the undine. The situtiation in the delta quad would be different, depending on who remained allies with the republic, The dyson sphere might of been taken by the voth, we might not of even gotten into the delta quad, which would mean that we did not encounter the krenem.
    >
    > This is all what I gathered as I typed this, if I sat down and thank I could probably write, God knows how many, pages on this forum.

I was thinking along the same lines at first, but then I realized: The transwarp network that brought Voyager home was also destroyed as Voyager returned. That network no longer existed. Therefore, the transwarp network that was destroyed (or pushed out of time) by the Krenim ship must have been a new network that has been built since then. That should still have effected the timeline of the game, but it wouldn't effect Voyager's return home.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User

At this point, after trying to figure this all out in my head, I now have a headache. So, I'll let Austin convey my feelings on this:

https://youtu.be/x8w95xIdH4o?t=25s
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."