test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales of the War #18

Comments

• Options
    bfelczerbfelczer Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Possible foreshadowing in this article from April?
    Do you ever still hear Janeway's voice in your head or think, What would Janeway do? Or even just wonder what she's doing now? Or was she a role you played, it’s over and life goes on?

MULGREW: The latter. Janeway was a magnificent role. It was a life-changing and certainly career-changing role that I played, and I played her with every particle of my being. So now, she is resting. She is blissfully resting, but I am always in gratitude to her. And she may be resurrected. You never know.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Trendy hasn't denied Mulgrew is voicing a character in the game... yet.
    (She's usually pretty quick to shoot down rumors before they over-run the forums)

Could be They actually managed to get her for a couple of voicing sessions.

I'm not a big Voyager fan, but still, getting another actor from the actual series IS pretty cool.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    cecil08 wrote: »
    (Side note: Did the writing of Butterfly even watch Year of Hell? You don't need temporal shielding forever, just for the initial incursion. We should all remember everything... at least those of us shielded).

Anyway, I want to see Janeway!

Not entirely sure. Here's how I think it played out:

When Voyager is first caught in the temporal incursion, the ship conforms to the changes in time. Suddenly it shows signs of damage it wasn't supposed to have, the Krenim frigate is suddenly a warship, and Voyager's crew suffers casualties. None of the crew are conscious of the change at this time.

The second time they are in the way of a shockwave, they already have temporal shielding, originally designed to protect themselves from the Krenim torpedoes. This time, Voyager is not affected by the "temporal wavefront", but the Krenim warship/waships turn back to a frigate/frigates, and the Imperium back to a pre-warp state. After that, IIRC, Voyager maintains temporal shielding the whole time, until the very end. Voyager needed to the temporal shields juuust long enough to do its damage by ramming that dreadnought. After that, it didn't matter.

As for the evacuating crew --- either the escape pods were fitted with temporal shielding too, or they conformed to the changed timeline the moment they were launched.

But if the pods were shielded, that protection must've run out of juice by the end, because that last incursion created a new scenario with Annorax enjoying the company of his wife on Kyana Prime, planning to build his ship a second time, Voyager untouched and the crew all alive and well, and Tuvok even got his eyesight back.
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    tenty1983tenty1983 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Fascinating...

Still to bad these couldn't be played out somehow in game as content... Since blogs come and go and seem to disappear over time, it might be nice to have these revealed as journals in-game after each mission is completed, that way, future players can enjoy the behind-the-scenes feel of these and their relevance to what is actually going on in the story...

Anyway, interesting that a former Borg drone and a Ferengi are the two who are most acting with conscience...

CM

Personally, I'd like to see a series of tie-in novels like The Needs of the Many, myself.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    Oh, fun read this one - wonder what other irons are in the fire (since we're on the 'backup backup backup' Iconian defeat plan at this point)

Hey, I bet though that whatever KaJane is working on, is some kind of weapon against the Iconians in the same way the Haarpeng is against the Planet Killer. At least I hope so. That would put US back IN the FRONT of the Iconian War.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    One thing that i havent seen anyone mention yet is that the signatures at the bottom gets more and more informal and personal after each additional letter.Its like Seven is getting more in touch with her humanity as the war progresses.Makes for an interesting thought :p
    Yeah ! Now that you mention it, I see it too! I wonder if this is somehow an unintended consequence of the timeline change, they've yet to discover.
    In the new current timeline, the Chakotay/7 pairing never happened and Janeway/7 continued normally came to be. See, this incursion wasn't a complete disaster!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
    There's the safe way and then there's the Janeway.
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Fascinating...

Still to bad these couldn't be played out somehow in game as content... Since blogs come and go and seem to disappear over time, it might be nice to have these revealed as journals in-game after each mission is completed, that way, future players can enjoy the behind-the-scenes feel of these and their relevance to what is actually going on in the story...

CM

Love this idea!!
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    What'll happen next? The Vulcans skipping the Sundering?

I think they talked about that happening in one of the simulations...Vulcans never embraced logic and build an empire.

• Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    For emphasis: "I will be in the Sol system soon. I look forward to seeing you and assisting on your current projects to help the war effort."

Janeway is involved in RnD of more conventional means to fight the war. Seven is looking to join her.

Janeway powered Galaxy X/Defiant/Sovereign/Flagship upgrades. Calling it. Any and all of em.

^^^^^ This! You are the first to point this out, and I give you +10 for doing so! I guess I should dust off my wallet because I will be the first to buy a T-6 Galaxy and the other flagships without hesitation!

Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I have already read the end of this. We won, and Season 11 starts in October. So it won't last long. ;)
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    (Side note: Did the writing of Butterfly even watch Year of Hell? You don't need temporal shielding forever, just for the initial incursion. We should all remember everything... at least those of us shielded).

Anyway, I want to see Janeway!

Not entirely sure. Here's how I think it played out:

When Voyager is first caught in the temporal incursion, the ship conforms to the changes in time. Suddenly it shows signs of damage it wasn't supposed to have, the Krenim frigate is suddenly a warship, and Voyager's crew suffers casualties. None of the crew are conscious of the change at this time.

The second time they are in the way of a shockwave, they already have temporal shielding, originally designed to protect themselves from the Krenim torpedoes. This time, Voyager is not affected by the "temporal wavefront", but the Krenim warship/waships turn back to a frigate/frigates, and the Imperium back to a pre-warp state. After that, IIRC, Voyager maintains temporal shielding the whole time, until the very end. Voyager needed to the temporal shields juuust long enough to do its damage by ramming that dreadnought. After that, it didn't matter.

As for the evacuating crew --- either the escape pods were fitted with temporal shielding too, or they conformed to the changed timeline the moment they were launched.

But if the pods were shielded, that protection must've run out of juice by the end, because that last incursion created a new scenario with Annorax enjoying the company of his wife on Kyana Prime, planning to build his ship a second time, Voyager untouched and the crew all alive and well, and Tuvok even got his eyesight back.

Ah, but you missed a few spots.

1. The pods clearly did NOT conform to the timeline, or the people within would not have a clue what they're suddenly doing in escape pods near a badly damaged Voyager. (Remember, with the Krenim warships turning into frigates, Voyager wouldn't have suffered half as much damage as it did - it was only the temporal shielding that prevented the damage from being reverted.)

2. Voyager may have kept its temporal shields online up until the end - but those last few moments as it moved in to ram Annorax's ship were all that would have been needed.

Basically, although I'll admit I didn't pay much attention to it while playing Butterfly, it's quite clear that the functionality of the weapon is quite a bit different between Year of Hell and Butterfly. As cecil08 said, you don't need to maintain the shield, just have it operational during the actual incursion.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I think the Krenim were able to have resources they might've done who knows what damage creating another Year of Hell like incident. Maybe show them a simulation where they were never able to get warp travel and that may change their minds and be careful. Though who knows, when I mat that guy I wanted to punch him in the face so hard.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    While Noye had Clauda I was willing to overlook his attitude. But with Clauda and her race - apparently - gone, there is no one to control Noye and stop him from doing something crazy that could put the Alliance - and potentially even the Krenim - into jeopardy.
    -
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Basically, although I'll admit I didn't pay much attention to it while playing Butterfly, it's quite clear that the functionality of the weapon is quite a bit different between Year of Hell and Butterfly. As cecil08 said, you don't need to maintain the shield, just have it operational during the actual incursion.

However the strand of hair ceased to exist due to it coming into contact with normal space-time where it had ceased to exist.

So it's possible that the anomalous temporal field generated by Voyager's temporal shields actually allowed Voyager's personal history to take root in the timestream alongside the incursion's altered timeline thus protecting the pod as they came into contact with the incursion wave which altered the incursion itself (explained in dialogue in the episode).

The new temporal shielding is more likely a different composition rather than the weapon being different as these shields were not designed to protect from temporal weapons but rather to phase from space-time to allow for an observer effect and then re-integration as to avoid creating multiple paradoxes. The Krenim ship itself would never have been built if the timeline was changed because there would have been no need for it so it needs to be able to be affected by its own weapon but only after a successful incursion is detected.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    *Hail of "diplomatic" torpedo fire*
    Enter Admiral Janeway, coffee in hand, prime directive under foot :smiley:
    I would personally enjoy seeing her in the story, i actually liked her character.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    I read this in the style of a Ken Burns war documentary.
    Relax.
  • Options
    orlie00orlie00 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is there any reason for the underlined 't' in the first letter?
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User

(Side note: Did the writing of Butterfly even watch Year of Hell? You don't need temporal shielding forever, just for the initial incursion.
    Then why did the strain of hair from Annorax' wife need to be shielded permanently?
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    hamishmacdoogalhamishmacdoogal Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Yes. It would be agreeable to hear Admiral Janeway's voice in command of a mission again.

My concern with Annorax's time weapon is he was dealing with only half of the equation. The half he was dealing with was/is directed at deleting elements from the time stream and simply allowing time to reshape itself in a relatively uncontrolled and unpredicted manner. The more manageable half of the equation is ADDING an element. This element can be tailored to fit a specific need at a specific point in the timeline. Yes. this is time travel as opposed to time restructuring.

As for this silly weapon being the salvation of the galaxy and the means to defeat the Iconians, well - the notion is simply preposterous. The Iconians are not ignorant of temporal mechanics and time manipulation. Knowing their susceptibility to temporal manipulation after the destruction of Iconia, they developed temporal shielding thousands of years ago to compensate. Use this half-baked weapon on T'Mara's group and they WILL know. After all, assuming that just because they cannot travel in time, they cannot use temporal mechanics it is as foolish as assuming that just because humans cannot breathe water, they cannot swim.

No. The Other must go back. This is the specific addition that is required.

On a more speculative note, I would find it poetic if given her extensive experience with time alterations, the Other selected for this purpose is Janeway herself.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    For emphasis: "I will be in the Sol system soon. I look forward to seeing you and assisting on your current projects to help the war effort."

Janeway is involved in RnD of more conventional means to fight the war. Seven is looking to join her.

Janeway powered Galaxy X/Defiant/Sovereign/Flagship upgrades. Calling it. Any and all of em.

^^^^^ This! You are the first to point this out, and I give you +10 for doing so! I guess I should dust off my wallet because I will be the first to buy a T-6 Galaxy and the other flagships without hesitation!
    Na, it'll just be a new set of RnD projects involving coffee:

First, every "send two Doffs to collect stuff and hope they don't kill/injure themselves in the process" assignment will get a low chance to grant you an epic component called "nebula caffeine particle".

Then, another project allows you to craft a consumable epic device with enough nebula caffeine particles, called "black coffee" which grants +600 bonus damage against Borg ships or drones, +100 resistance to exotic damage and the ability to shoot at your teammates while invoking a specific clause in Starfleet/Klingon/Romulan regulations for 1 hour.

On the other hand, you get a random debuff that goes from your teammates and hangar pets trying to incapacitate you, a drop of 5000 diplomatic CXP, a visit of your future self guilt-tripping you about something, to a timeship/time agent spawning 10 levels higher than yours and trying to destroy you.

The T6 Defiant is coming anyway.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ggsimmonds84ggsimmonds84 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    At Vegas the team said that they would like to get Mulgrew to do some voice work but it was too expensive.

Was that misdirection?
  • Options
    sadorsador Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

(Side note: Did the writing of Butterfly even watch Year of Hell? You don't need temporal shielding forever, just for the initial incursion.
    Then why did the strain of hair from Annorax' wife need to be shielded permanently?

Because one of Annorax's multitudinous Temporal Incursions deleted his wife somehow and she no longer existed. She exists at the end because the ship deleted itself and erased all the changes it had wrought over the 200 years of it's existence.
  • Options
    crazytank1crazytank1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    *Hail of "diplomatic" torpedo fire*
    Enter Admiral Janeway, coffee in hand, prime directive under foot :smiley:
    I would personally enjoy seeing her in the story, i actually liked her character.

lol, this.

I've made more than a few complaints about Janeway's character in Voyager, but even I can't deny that crazy Janeway is one of the most entertaining of the Janeways. As Leon Thomas puts it "she is one of the most devastating, destructive forces in the universe".
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    At Vegas the team said that they would like to get Mulgrew to do some voice work but it was too expensive.

Was that misdirection?

Correct me if I'm wrong, But wasn't the same thing once said about Jerri Ryan ? That she was probably too expensive?

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    sador wrote: »
    Because one of Annorax's multitudinous Temporal Incursions deleted his wife somehow and she no longer existed...

Actually Annorax lost his wife during his very first attempt to restore the Imperium with his ship's temporal incursions.
    Then he spent the next 200 years trying to restore the Imperium and coorect his mistake.
    Funny that in the end, he got what he wanted.

Then their old enemies started nipping away at the Imperium again, Annorax built his ship a second time, and set out to fix things again - this time Kyana Prime (and probably his wife too) remained unaffected, but Annorax was defeated at some point, possibly by the Vaadwaur.

And Kyana Prime is one of the last (if not The Last) Krenim colony left when we discover it.

Talk about irony...
    -
  • Options
    tenadatenada Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Im losing track of the timeline here literally. But as I see it Noye is analysing the data core. He is unaware yet that he has lost his wife. Although it all points to Noye being our downfall. Just perhaps learning this ,will change his attitude. He could in fact be our saviour.
  • Options
    anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    sarakit wrote: »
    Wouldn't the elimination of the transwarp network mean that voyager didn't make it back early, but 20 years later?

my good friend, without the transwarp network, the borg would not of expanded enough for Q bring them up, furthermore, they would not have enough power/tech to even consider assaulting the undine, and when voyager encountered them each side would have no knoledge of eachother, voyager would of been destroyed, within a month at most, but if borg territory was small enough they could fly around, either way voyager would not be in the alpha quad (or might of been destroyed in krenim space). The vault would not be advanced as it currently is, the tal'shiar would not have borg tech. in 2409 federation and the klinks would not be at peace because we did not save their arses against the undine. The situtiation in the delta quad would be different, depending on who remained allies with the republic, The dyson sphere might of been taken by the voth, we might not of even gotten into the delta quad, which would mean that we did not encounter the krenem.

This is all what I gathered as I typed this, if I sat down and thank I could probably write, God knows how many, pages on this forum.

[style color=#FF9900] Even with the transwarp network destroyed that does not make a difference. We are currently able to travel to the delta quadrant simply through the Jenolian Sphere. If that still exists throughout the storyline, anyone including the borg have the ability to travel between quadrants. [/style]

That is currently true with the messed up timeline that cryptic is running.
    We were only able to access the delta quad because of undine trickery that forced us to jump that station in "A Step Between Stars" (I think thats what it's called, it is the first dyson mission with tuvok where you fly the dyson), which jumped you to the jenolan sphere (which was originally located in the alpha quad), if i remember the STO timeline correctly (trendy or somebody correct me if i am wrong) when the gateway network was activated in "Sphere of Influence" which somehow caused the jenolan sphere to jump to the delta quad, but, it would of anyway, but our good friend, Mr.Cooper (undine) told us that the only option was to activate that bloody gate to save the station "A Step Between Stars" or something else, if the real cooper was there (probably dead) he might of been able to give us a different answer. But that is all up to... friendly debate.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    sarakit wrote: »
    Wouldn't the elimination of the transwarp network mean that voyager didn't make it back early, but 20 years later?
    my good friend, without the transwarp network, the borg would not of expanded enough for Q bring them up, furthermore, they would not have enough power/tech to even consider assaulting the undine, and when voyager encountered them each side would have no knoledge of eachother, voyager would of been destroyed, within a month at most, but if borg territory was small enough they could fly around, either way voyager would not be in the alpha quad (or might of been destroyed in krenim space). The vault would not be advanced as it currently is, the tal'shiar would not have borg tech. in 2409 federation and the klinks would not be at peace because we did not save their arses against the undine. The situtiation in the delta quad would be different, depending on who remained allies with the republic, The dyson sphere might of been taken by the voth, we might not of even gotten into the delta quad, which would mean that we did not encounter the krenem.

This is all what I gathered as I typed this, if I sat down and thank I could probably write, God knows how many, pages on this forum.
    Even with the transwarp network destroyed that does not make a difference. We are currently able to travel to the delta quadrant simply through the Jenolian Sphere. If that still exists throughout the storyline, anyone including the borg have the ability to travel between quadrants.
    That is currently true with the messed up timeline that cryptic is running.
    We were only able to access the delta quad because of undine trickery that forced us to jump that station in "A Step Between Stars" (I think thats what it's called, it is the first dyson mission with tuvok where you fly the dyson), which jumped you to the jenolan sphere (which was originally located in the alpha quad), if i remember the STO timeline correctly (trendy or somebody correct me if i am wrong) when the gateway network was activated in "Sphere of Influence" which somehow caused the jenolan sphere to jump to the delta quad, but, it would of anyway, but our good friend, Mr.Cooper (undine) told us that the only option was to activate that bloody gate to save the station "A Step Between Stars" or something else, if the real cooper was there (probably dead) he might of been able to give us a different answer. But that is all up to... friendly debate.
    Well, apparently the real Cooper never set foot in ANY dyson sphere. So who knows what he would have done? Maybe the Undine who replaced him was smarter than he was and figured out more stuff than he would have? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    never been a fan of Janeway in my opinion she murdered a new species known as Tuvik and that made me dislike her as a character. And now we are messing with time and going against the very principles of the federation. After playing Butterfly I have a bad feeling about this path we are heading down and a even worse feeling if Admiral Janeway appears
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]