test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

freezing during loading screen/zone changes

Comments

• Options
    nitetribenitetribe Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Defrag + full file check performed prior to trying the DirectX versions and results are as follows:

DirectX 9 - loged in, 1st zone crash
    DirectX 9ex - loged in, 1 zone successful, 2nd zone crash
    DirectX 11 - loged in, 10 successful zones

This has been done in alpha quadrant, sector space, next to defera, changing instances

Might be worth other people trying something similar and posting results.
  • Options
    shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    what if some people cant use dx11? we are out of luck then?
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I started having this issue repeatedly two nights ago, I think 4 times in one night? But as quickly as it came, it went away, and I haven't seen it since that one night.

The only useful information I can provide: I'm running Windows 10 x64 Home, with nVidia driver 341.71. I run the game with the DirectX 11 renderer and have never really had an issue with it, unlike other players, and it didn't seem to alleviate this issue when it was occurring. The only video change I made was switching from fullscreen to windowed maximized, but I still had one lockup after doing that, so I don't believe it solved the issue (unless a restart was needed?).

-edit-

Got hit with it again tonight, so it didn't, uh, magically go away or anything.
    Post edited by dragonsbrethren on
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I'm getting this as well. It's not every loading screen, but enough that it's worrying me. It will freeze at different intervals and I have to go into my task manager to stop the game client (which is not responding according to that). When I start back up there is no popup asking if I want to verify files, so is this not a game crash?

It happens mostly when I'm transitioning from system space to sector space. And I've already set my DirectX to 9 a long time ago.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    uranium23567uranium23567 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    well, I changed to DX11 and it no longer does it. Plays as good and looks a little better. I might keep it on it dx11
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    I've always used DX11, however its still occurring to me. I've tried swapping to DX9 but the lock ups still happen.

In fact after the last patch for some reason my game client would hang on the "loading..." screen while starting. I had to start up in safe mode and manually move from Auto to DX11.

I'm hoping the angel of the forums, Trendy, will pick up on this and bump it to the devs for a comment?
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    At this point I am pretty sure its a specific issue with the STO authentication servers. The lock up happens at two specific points of the load process, and only the Dev's know what is being processed at 45% and 94% respectively. But it really seems to be a hang up directly related to STO servers. Good luck hunting it down.

Again Please submit a ticket so the Dev's KNOW this is an issue. Post a link this this thread in your ticket as well. Get them to pay attention.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • Options
    wwest7wwest7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Been having this issue since the screwed up patches emergency patch. Fix one thing break another. I assume they're not responding because they just plan to wait it out and fix it at next maintenance, if they even know how to fix it, which wouldn't surprise me. This forum was even hard to find to see if others were having the same issues so it's been buried. No response to at least let us know it's a known problem. Getting frustrated with the lack of communication, but aren't we all at this point? To me this says 1 of two things: As I said, they know, and just ignoring it until maintenance (thanks a lot for nothing), or 2: they have no idea what's causing it and not enough people having the problem or reporting it for them to care.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Well the response I got from tech support was - well decidedly under whelming to say the least. My first reaction was one of anger and I responded like a brat throwing a temper tantrum. I apologies for that.

Here is the response I got. And yes my first reaction was one of "WTF?"

I my not have noted that I did uninstall the game - but I did state that I did a fresh install of game onto a NEW computer. I really doubt the tech took the time to read the thread. Sigh.. A perfect example of "its your problem not ours." moving on.... :(

I don't know what to do. If this is the level of response one gets with a bug like this, then we are truly lost.

Again, my response to the ticket was less than polite. I am sorry about that. But it just really buggered me and I felt insulted and deprived of useable response. Nevertheless, the info he did send is useful if you haven't already tired this, it might help you. Good luck.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand that you are encountering some crashing issues with the game. Here are some possible solutions you may try:

1. Locate and delete the gameprefs.pref file on the game's installation folder: <install_dir>\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\gameprefs.pref

Kindly note that deleting this file will reset all your game preferences including keybinds, audio, and video settings to default. Afterwards, do a force verification of your game files. To do this,

1) First, shut down your PC and wait a few minutes. Then restart your computer.
    2) Start the game launcher, and click on "Options" that can be found on the upper right side of the launcher window.
    3) Under the "Patching" section, put a check mark on the "Force Verify" option on the game and select "Save". Let the game verify that your game client's files match the server-side versions of the files. It will also re-download any files that don't match.
    4) This will take some time. Please be patient.
    5) After this process is done, try to get into the game again and see if the same issue(s) occur.

Kindly wait for it to complete as it will take some time. After this process is done, try to get into the game again and see if the same issue occurs.

2. Disable "On-Demand Patching" by going to the launcher and clicking on the "Options" menu that can be found on the upper right corner of the window.

You can also try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

If the issue persists after trying the above solution, kindly reply to this ticket and I will gladly assist you further.

Regards,
    Eypreel
    Game Master

Edit to reflect calmer demeanor.
    Post edited by lordatrocities on
  • Options
    That's the "boilerplate" response they always kick out when an issue is first raised. It isn't the first time I've seen it. I received my reply last night and it was word for word like yours, just from a different member of support.

On one hand I understand why they send that out in the first instance, they have to start somewhere, however it is annoying when you have already tried all of the things they suggest, and a brief search on their part would show up others with the same issues.

The lock-up's happened about 4 times for me last night. On one toon I was exiting a pugged CC and it froze. Quitting the client and restarting with the same toon resulted in it locking up again at 94%! I had to restart AGAIN and then jump to another toon before I could get my main in.

Also I noted something else last night. Occasionally the screen does the loading page twice. Say, for example, I transwarp to Sol. The screen will do the transwarp animation and switch to the loading screen. the progress varies but the display will show around 90% then change and show my ship arriving, then it will switch back to the loading screen briefly and then show my arrival again? I understand, however, that may be caused by lag.

I intend to keep posting to this thread when these lockups occur to keep it alive, in the hope of some response. I will also reply to the PWE ticket response. It came through too late last night. I was asleep lol :)
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    uranium23567uranium23567 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    well I can officially say it now still happens even though i'm on DX11. It does not happen as often mind you, but it still does
  • Options
    rybaksixrybaksix Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    I have tried dx variations today(dx 11, dx9), no change.
    First 5 transitions - ok, after that 12 crashes.
    I tried changing between the dedicated and integrated cards, no change.
    Stops at 42-48% and 90-95%.
  • Options
    Well, as you'd expect, support haven't been of any great help. The email I got back today basically blamed it on Windows 10 and that they cant give me an answer or a time scale for a fix. I did go back and ask them to read this thread and see it wasn't just Windows 10.

I've asked for this to be passed to the dev's but its anyone's guess if it will be.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    Just to add to my previous posts, my setup:

Toshiba Sattelite P850
    i7, 8GB, Nvidia 640m + Intel HD 4000

Windows 8.1

(5 other pc's are working just fine)
  • Options
    p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    This is pretty much crashing all the time on loading screens for me now.
    I beam up to DS9 space from the station, crash I have to restart my client. I jump from DS9 space to sector space, crash I have to restart my client.
    I do CCA for the event, I jump out from the mission crash I have to restart my client. It might not crash if I'm on ground when I jump out, but it might crash.

First it seemed that putting DX11 did the trick for me but now it's just as bad or worse.

And this started a few weeks ago on a tuesday. I changed nothing on my computer it just started to crash.
    And I remember it was a Tuesday, because on Wednesday I upgraded from W7 to W10 without a problem.
    Galavant!
    "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
  • Options
    Well i've been logged in for all of 15 minutes and this has happened twice already :(
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    This happens to me constantly since I upgrade to Windows 10. I am positive this is an video driver/Windows 10 issue as I have never seen this before in all the years I have played this game since release. It hangs around 40%ish or 90%ish on ANY loading screen; changing maps, zoning, logging in, etc. I have an NVidia optimus based laptop running Win10 x64 with the latest NVidia drivers.
  • Options
    I've been running the CE event with all my alts today. Got through 6 or 7 of my alts without any hangs. Last 2 alts, 40% hangs on exiting the event. Have to kill the process and restart the game. This is really annoying.
  • Options
    It certainly is. Its happened again several times to me tonight. In the end I gave up :(
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Has anyone noticed specific issues related to the Alpha Quadrant sector space map? That is where I seem to be getting my crashes the majority of the time.

(I have Windows 8.1 BTW.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed specific issues related to the Alpha Quadrant sector space map? That is where I seem to be getting my crashes the majority of the time.

(I have Windows 8.1 BTW.)

I was getting game hangs last night while tooling around the Beta Quadrant. I have had hangs in the Alpha Quadrant as well though.

EDIT: Yesterdays tribble patch notes make reference to a gfx fix going to test that fixes some map crashes, such as Varia and the Voth Battlezones. Here's hoping that they might also inadvertently fix this issue as well!
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    I'm locking up on transfers and i have DX11 selected
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • Options
    nitetribenitetribe Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I am still getting the freeze also, however it is occurring less with dx11 than the 9 variants. Instead of 8+ freezes per hour I am now down to about 1 or 2... which is still way too frequent for an established game.
  • Options
    traviltravil Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Same problem.
  • Options
    Last night 9 character changes - 9 freezes :(
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    so far I've had 5 game client "hangs" and I've been logged in for less than an hour! I honestly don't know if I can be bothered to finish the CC event now. Its frustrating in the extreme :(

EDIT: Its worse than ever tonight. EVERY SINGLE character change gets the hang.

EDIT2: For what its worth it seems to be any toon warping into or out of one of the Sol instances, cant tell which one though.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    May or may not be related, but I also get Alt +Tab hangs (though straight minimizing so far has not resulted in one).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    I haven't read thru all the posts since my last one but I can confirm that this issue is pretty much isolated to the AMD side of video cards. Not sure if it is an AMD driver conflict with the game or what. But after updating my Invdia driver I haven't, so far so good, seen a crash. However I am still getting them like crazy on the two AMD cards systesm. One is an R280X and the other is some 7770 version by XFX.

The drivers are the latest catalyst version so ya, its most likely, if at all related, to AMD.
  • Options
    I haven't read thru all the posts since my last one but I can confirm that this issue is pretty much isolated to the AMD side of video cards. Not sure if it is an AMD driver conflict with the game or what. But after updating my Invdia driver I haven't, so far so good, seen a crash. However I am still getting them like crazy on the two AMD cards systesm. One is an R280X and the other is some 7770 version by XFX.

The drivers are the latest catalyst version so ya, its most likely, if at all related, to AMD.

Many people are getting these hangs with nvidia as well. Are you running Windows 10? This NEVER happened to me until I installed Windows 10.

I would also like to add that I have been running the CE event every day on my 12 toons. Every single time I switch toons it hangs at 92.06%. I let one sit for about 10 minutes just to see if it would work through the hang...it didn't.
  • Options
    bmcd73 wrote: »

Many people are getting these hangs with nvidia as well. Are you running Windows 10? This NEVER happened to me until I installed Windows 10.

I would also like to add that I have been running the CE event every day on my 12 toons. Every single time I switch toons it hangs at 92.06%. I let one sit for about 10 minutes just to see if it would work through the hang...it didn't.

No, Win 7. I posted specs for the 3 systems I ran the game on. I even fresh installed it on a brand new built PC and it still had the hang freeze. While the Intel system sporting the EVGA 770 seems to do ok, it does slow way down at the 94% point and often gives me a scare. But so far with the drives I have running, so far so good, knock on fake wood.

I see the hang every time with my R280x and 7770 systems. The 7770 is brand new system. Only the card is old because I had it before the R280x.

I am firmly in the camp that this issue is related to two things, bad program on STO's part, and funky drivers from AMD and Nvidia.